Author Topic: Atheists Encounter with God  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: Atheists Encounter with God
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
Expectation detetermines perception.

Given his description as a person who values the suspension of critical thought, and actively seeks delusion, I can't see how this individual could not have adopted some sort of superstitious type behaviour. Of course, he is western person, so the superstition took the shape consistent with cultural learning.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Karl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong. He threw in the story that could be a quick cut and paste job and has never been seen in this forum since then. He got us busy and probably he doesn't give a shit. I don't know, it seems to happen more often. Or maybe I missed a reply but I think not.
I suspected something alike with BS but he at least is present whilst that doesn't make a big difference either.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
^^^ That is what I suspect. I'm about ready to trash this whole topic because I don't believe this is JWBlake's personal testimony and I'm not going to let the testimonials section become a troll's paradise.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
^^^ That is what I suspect. I'm about ready to trash this whole topic because I don't believe this is JWBlake's personal testimony and I'm not going to let the testimonials section become a troll's paradise.

I'm surprised anyone would actually think that JWBlake is Mathias Colwell. *shrug*
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. I googled the name that is mentioned in the OP and the links and the story look a bit too obscure to just stumble over it without knowing what to search for.  It would be helpful if JW would participate and say something about this.

But apart from that I think some good arguments have been made here so that this might serve as an example for testimonial stories like this.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/879304/mathias_colwell.html
I am a born again christian who loves God. I also love to travel, and read (especially fantasy), and write, and I love playing and watching sports.
[bold mine]

By fantasy books surely he means the bible....
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. I googled the name that is mentioned in the OP and the links and the story look a bit too obscure to just stumble over it without knowing what to search for.  It would be helpful if JW would participate and say something about this.

It could be that they are friends, relatives or maybe JW just stumbled across that testimony somewhere and saved it for a special occasion.

Lots and lots of questions for JW to answer if and when he decides to return.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

But apart from that I think some good arguments have been made here so that this might serve as an example for testimonial stories like this.
Asmoday, if you aren't familiar with JWBake1982's posting history, here is the main reason why I come to the conclusion that he is not Mathias Colwell: In this thread JW says...

"[...]my first experience when I was 15 I had utterly no idea that I was going to get anything in return from deciding to give up my life and follow Jesus."

This conflicts with the Mathias story of being an staunch atheist / debating and ridiculing Christians until he had a spiritual experience in a bedroom at 19. Clearly not the same guy.

Edit: fixed info
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:54:26 AM by Zankuu »
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
Good catch, Zankuu. Thanks for pointing that out.

In the Testimonials FAQ it says:

This section is for members to post details of the personal experiences that led them to or away from a theistic belief.

Since the MC testimonial was not an experience that JW had we can conclude that this testimonial is not in-keeping with the intent of this discussion area.

I am open to suggestions as to how this should be dealt with.

Offline Karl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
Asmoday, if you aren't familiar with JWBake1982's posting history, here is the main reason why I come to the conclusion that he is not Mathias Colwell: In this thread JW says...

"[...]my first experience when I was 15 I had utterly no idea that I was going to get anything in return from deciding to give up my life and follow Jesus."

This conflicts with the Mathias story of being an staunch atheist / debating and ridiculing Christians until he had a spiritual experience in a bedroom at 19. Clearly not the same guy.

Edit: fixed info

I guess he's not Mathias but probably he made up the other story too.

Offline Karl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
Good catch, Zankuu. Thanks for pointing that out.

In the Testimonials FAQ it says:

This section is for members to post details of the personal experiences that led them to or away from a theistic belief.

Since the MC testimonial was not an experience that JW had we can conclude that this testimonial is not in-keeping with the intent of this discussion area.

I am open to suggestions as to how this should be dealt with.

I suggest to take Asmodays approach:

Close the book and that's it.

Offline Danielos

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »
PM him and ask him to return to the thread and explain himself!

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
Despite all of God's goodness and amazing love, this does not mean that life with God is a life without trial, not at all. I have found many things difficult in life since becoming a Christian. For example, many people with whom I used to be close and intimate, I no longer share a deep emotional bond. Friends in my life have floated in and floated out like leaves on the wind, as not all of them share my passion for God.

It's always sad to hear someone discard real and true friends for an imaginary being.  I'd say more, but I don't know how to articulate my thoughts on something as warped as this

God moves differently with each person, and my goal in life now is to get to know God better, to develop an even greater intimacy with God, because once you have tasted God's love, nothing else can satisfy like His presence does.

Bwahahahahahaha!  I know what he's trying to say, but that just sounds so wrong!   :laugh:
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
[To the OP]

I've read so many of these "stories" that they all seem to be the exact same story.  I can write one myself, and Christians would believe it to be true even if I told them I made it up.  They'd say, "You can't make up something that pure." or some shit.  I've heard it before; this is no different.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
I suggest locking the thread for posterity and sending JW a firm warning.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
Before locking, perhaps give the OP a week or so to respond?
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
Locking the thread is not permanent. It can be unlocked if the OP or another member contacts staff with a decent case for unlocking it.

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
Can I make a comment?

I had a similar experience when I converted to the cult. I used the PUSH thing- Pray Until Something Happens. I prayed hard for a long time, and then I felt a great comfort, all that wishy-wahsy stuff. Years later I started hallucinating.. and it's the same feeling sometimes. I now have figured out that when you pray hard or whatever, it sets you up for a self-induced hallucination. This is why people under stress praying hard experience things- their mind tricks them into feeling what they want to feel. IMO, simple as that.

Of course, in this person's case, the alcohol withdrawal probably added to it as well, making it even easier to hallucinate.
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:43 PM »
I just noticed that this thread was moved from GRD. It is still inappropriate here, so I'm locking it. Send a PM if you need it re-opened and we will consider it.