Author Topic: Okay, I will give it a shot. [#538]  (Read 372 times)

Offline DL

Okay, I will give it a shot. [#538]
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »

1. Why won't God heal amputees?

I truly believe that we have been given free will over our world, and our bodies. As a nurse, I can tell you that people who get a limb amputated had to do so because of a choice someone made, or a choice they made themselves.
An auto accident due to drunk driving, etc.

2. Why is there starvation in the world?

That is the easy question. Greed, and selfishness are the top reasons. Just ask the African warlords why. There is no evidence to refute what the Bible says that man was given dominion over his world. We just don't do a very good job at it. There is enough food available, it just doesn't get into the right hands.

3.Why does God demand the death of innocent people in the Bible?Again, just because we have dominion over the Earth does not mean we do things the way we should. This leads to all sorts of problems including death by food poisoning or sexually transmitted diseases. The Bible clearly points these things out. The Bible also talks about God laying down these rules, which like the rules of your parents have reasons behind them....

It also points out the sinful nature of man. The Bible also talks of God's mercy with people like Lot who begged for people to be saved...God did what he promised.
God keeps His promises.

4. Why does the Bible have non scientific stuff in it?

That is also an easy one. It has a huge amount of scientific and historical things in it, so your question is irrelevant.

Have you never studied archeology? How many sites have been referenced to things that occurred in the Bible? Quite a few.

Have you never studied biology? How many things are in the Bible which talk about things humans should know, but couldn't have due to lack of technology....

Don't eat pork...duh, it brings disease if not cooked properly or low in fat....duh!

I will post more later

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Okay, I will give it a shot. [#538]
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
"1. Why won't God heal amputees?

I truly believe that we have been given free will over our world, and our bodies. As a nurse, I can tell you that people who get a limb amputated had to do so because of a choice someone made, or a choice they made themselves.
An auto accident due to drunk driving, etc."

...or operating machinery at work;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/3158287/Worlds-first-double-arm-transplant-patient-delighted.html

It's good that while your deity does not heal amputees, and instead it's the victims' fault, that some people in your chosen profession can do the job.

Cancer and headaches, though, plenty of cures there, right?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:39:12 PM »
3.Why does God demand the death of innocent people in the Bible?Again, just because we have dominion over the Earth does not mean we do things the way we should. This leads to all sorts of problems including death by food poisoning or sexually transmitted diseases. The Bible clearly points these things out. The Bible also talks about God laying down these rules, which like the rules of your parents have reasons behind them....

Then free will is kind of a selective thing.  Gods of other people don't demand the deaths of innocent people and they are doing just fine.  Don't you think your God could find better ways to deal with his creations than just to kill them?  Oh I forgot, I can't judge God cause he's perfect.  ::)

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
The Bible clearly points these things out. The Bible also talks about God laying down these rules, which like the rules of your parents have reasons behind them....

When I broke one of the rules my parents laid down my punishment/correction was immediate. It was metered and usually reasonably within a region of fairness. Rarely would it be over the top, but on occasion it would be. But NEVER was it eternal.

With the Abrahamic god it is not like that. I am told that because I had an impure thought about my neighbor's wife just before the heart attack that I will burn in hell for all eternity.

This seems neither just nor fair in ANY way.

When the African warlord decides he wants to kill of a whole village, why not give him a heart attack, right now.
Instead he is allowed to run amok and kill indiscriminately, hell most time he is given rewards. Free will my ass.
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »
So, your God can't heal someone because of a  choice, but he used to do so?  Why the change?  Didn't "free will" exist back during the Bible times?  A person can get sick for teh same reason so you can't exempt amputees from your God's miracles.  Also, please tell me how someone has "free will" if God interferes, like he did all of the time back in the Bible. 
2. Why is there starvation in the world?
That is the easy question. Greed, and selfishness are the top reasons. Just ask the African warlords why. There is no evidence to refute what the Bible says that man was given dominion over his world. We just don't do a very good job at it. There is enough food available, it just doesn't get into the right hands.
So, God/Jesus's words that sin is from simply the thought isn't true, becaue if it were, someone could want to starve somene else, but your God could still intervene.  Why did God once stop "warlords" from harming people when he won't now?
It also points out the sinful nature of man. The Bible also talks of God's mercy with people like Lot who begged for people to be saved...God did what he promised. God keeps His promises.
This does not answer the question.  Why did God flood the earth killing babies and animals when he should have known it would not work?  If humans had "dominion over the earth" this would mean we could control it.  Humans have not made e. coli or AIDS.  God did.  God laid down rules that women shuold be forced to marry their rapists, and that a woman who is raped but doesn't scream "loud" enough, she should be killed.  How do you like those rules?  Would a parent lay such rules down?
That is also an easy one. It has a huge amount of scientific and historical things in it, so your question is irrelevant.
examples, not lies please. 
Have you never studied archeology? How many sites have been referenced to things that occurred in the Bible? Quite a few.
None.  The Bible has happened to mention actual cities.  So does greek mythology.  The Bible claims that the city of Tyre was destroyed.  It still exists and people still live there.
Have you never studied biology? How many things are in the Bible which talk about things humans should know, but couldn't have due to lack of technology....
None.
Don't eat pork...duh, it brings disease if not cooked properly or low in fat....duh!
It also says not to eat shrimp.  Excuse here?  Simple observatoin shows that eating pork with cysts in it is bad.  It says that women are somehow "wrong" when menstruating.  Are they? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:23:02 PM »

I had a childhood friend who was born without one leg and the other was withered enough that it had to be amputated shortly after birth. What choice did he make in this?

It also points out the sinful nature of man. The Bible also talks of God's mercy with people like Lot who begged for people to be saved...God did what he promised.
God keeps His promises.

Notice how you sort of danced around the main point, though. God has rules, God lays down rules...by slaughtering people? You didn't really address this.

What? It certainly doesn't make the question irrelevant! Let's say I have a son who threw rocks at cars yesterday and I sit him down and go, "Johnny, why did you do bad things yesterday?" He responds, "Well I did good things yesterday, too, so your question is irrelevant." Would that fly? Certainly not!

This anti-scientific nonsense still exists! Furthermore, the "science" in the Bible is either incredibly murky - Bible passages that people twist and turn to interpret as science we know today - or is knowledge that wasn't that impressive for that time period. The fact of the matter is that the Bible is a product of it's time and shows absolutely no divine insight whatsoever. Or at least no more divine insight than any other religious document from that time period.

I will post more later

Indeed.

I have a tip. If you do decide to post the rest later - when you get to the question about why Jesus wanted people to eat the body and drink the blood, don't talk about metaphor. Look up the pagan origins of the "metaphorical" practice. Friendly hint in case you were thinking of doing otherwise.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote