Author Topic: Velkyn & UP Ten Questions Debate Commentary Thread  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
Velkyn & UP Ten Questions Debate Commentary Thread
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
Commentary thread for related debate thread.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: Velkyn & UP Ten Questions Debate Commentary Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
BM
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »
Irish, I've moved your bookmark to this thread to keep from cluttering up the main debate thread. If you want to know when someone has posted to the debate thread, please use the thread Notification feature, which is two buttons to the right of the "Reply" button.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
My bad.  I did post that bookmark in the wrong spot.  :-[

Thanks Agamemnon.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
S'alright.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
UP shoots himself in the foot with his first salvo.

--J.D.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
I noticed that. But were your expectations really that high? I mean seriously, have you read his previous posts?
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
Wow.  Clearly, science and miracles are not the same thing!  Who ever would have thought.  And that explains everything, in a nutshell. Shut down the forum, turn off the lights, and somebody take out that last bag of garbage by the door.  We're done here.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
We're done here.

I think this sums the debate up perfectly.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
I noticed that. But were your expectations really that high? I mean seriously, have you read his previous posts?

Seriously, I expected him to use a far better apology.  This is akin to creatards who claim the Earth WAS flat about 10,000 years ago and it was made round after the Flood . . . heck . . . it was FLAT during Junior's time--the Greeks were wrong! . . . and . . . like . . . it was made round and no one noticed the change.

Heck, I would have hoped he simply tried the "it's a metaphor" excuse.

--J.D.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
Seriously, I expected him to use a far better apology.  This is akin to creatards who claim the Earth WAS flat about 10,000 years ago and it was made round after the Flood . . . heck . . . it was FLAT during Junior's time--the Greeks were wrong! . . . and . . . like . . . it was made round and no one noticed the change.

Heck, I would have hoped he simply tried the "it's a metaphor" excuse.

--J.D.

No, what he posted was his style of apologetics, unfortunately. That and ignoring any question that he doesn't have an easy answer for.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
He is Wimp Lo.

--J. "I am Bleeding!  Making I the Victor!" D.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
well, we'll see how things go.  I've responded and hope springs eternal but things don't look too good at the moment. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
It seems to be taking him quite some time to come up with a response. He certainly hasn't been that shy in other threads.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
It has begun. So far, so good.

UP trying to justify being concerned about menstrual blood is amusing. Velkyn did a good job of calling him on it. The problem was never that the blood itself might cause disease or anything, it was a "STAY AWAY FROM ME I'M A GUY!" kind of thing. Still practiced by many muslims today. And, I assume, by more fundamental sects of christianity.

If I lived in a primitive society and women in my life suddenly started bleeding once a month, I might get scared too. Armed with the facts, it ceases to be an issue. Why a god would create a biological process that qualified as "unclean" I don't know. However I do understand why humans would include irrational reactions to such a mystery in their made up holy book.

That's the strange part of the bible. Accepting it as something written by humans at a time when there was little knowledge about many things, it makes all the sense in the world. Accepting it as the word of a fairly competent god makes it sound rather silly.

UP, if you're wondering what the effect of not knowing about germ theory was on humanity before Pasteur, give this short article a read:
http://www.livescience.com/3210-childbirth-natural-deadly.html

Your god could have at least hinted...

And UP, awe is not a standard of measurement. My son used to be in awe of Elliot the Dragon in the movie "Pete's Dragon", so awe doesn't seem to require truth. (He watched that movie over a hundred times when he was a kid, acting each time like it was the first showing.) Feeling awe is a perfect time to question the origins of those feelings. Because we humans tend to like things that make us feel good, and we often forget to question the validity of such sources.

Sometimes we must.

That mysteries, fear, power and lust conspired to create a "holy text" should be of no surprise. That people still believe it confounds me. But so too do Star Trek conventions, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Carry on UP. Carry on Velkyn. I want to see where this goes.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.