Author Topic: 3rd century Amputee Healed!  (Read 7035 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
3rd century Amputee Healed!
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
God apparrently does not do restorations of amputations, but allows his saints to do the job:

Sts. Cosmas and Damian died ca. 287

Arab twin brothers and Christian martyrs who practiced faith healing back in the third century A.D. One of their most famous miracles was transplanting the black leg of a dead Ethiopian man onto a white man whose leg was severely ulcerated.

according to legend they stayed true to their faith, enduring being hung on a cross, stoned and shot by arrows and finally suffered execution by beheading. (Which is ironic, as you would have thought that they could have grown new heads or at least God would have inspired someone to do what the saints had done.)

From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Cosmas_and_Damian

What are said to be their skulls are venerated in the convent of the Clares in Madrid, where they have been since 1581, the gift of Maria, daughter of Emperor Charles V. [...]
Other skulls said to be theirs have been discovered at Easter 1334 by Burchard Grelle, Prince-Archbishop of Bremen. He "personally 'miraculously' retrieved the relics of the holy physicians Cosmas and Damian, which were allegedly immured and forgotten in the quire of the Bremen Cathedral.
[...]
At least since 1413, another pair of skulls is stored in St Stephens's Cathedral in Vienna.

Who'd have thought that at a time when nothing was known of the way the body worked, the blood circulated - see picture, no blood anywhere - or the immune system - let alone basic hygiene - see picture - that a pair of twins could join one leg to another without stitching?

What I want to know is, what happened to the Ethiopian when he got to heaven? Did he have the spirit of the white leg transplanted on to his missing one?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: 3rd century Amputee Healed!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
I that where Dairy Queen got the idea for the twist ice cream cone?

Also, did the guy start running half marathons?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:28:19 AM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Paperbackslave

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Earth is awesome - enjoy it while you can
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:43 AM »
I gotta say, that leg they chopped off doesn't look in particularly bad shape.  Clearly, they are just hoarding body parts.
Atheists are spectators in a grand battle of stupid ideas.  Sadly, these ideas get people killed in the name of a loving god on both sides of the delusion.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »
What they're probably not telling you is that they killed a perfectly healthy black ethiopian to perform this "miracle" for a white guy.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
looks like transplant surgery ........hardly a miracle healing
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
I spoke to abruptly.....maybe the true believers could try this with body parts from the dead...............funny how they used an etheopians leg,,,,,cutting the leg of a dead white man would be blasphemy
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
I like the angels assisting with the surgery...I don't think the nurses' union would allow that today.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »
I've just noticed - look at the patient's left leg and foot... (Ctrl + '+' to zoom in) the foot is really weird, I reckon they cut off the wrong one!
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
Well even if they did do the leg "grafting"... did it actually work?  :?  Funny how the painting is not of the healed dude walking around after the procedure  :police:
Git mit uns

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
ah, that's nothing. WE have this great epic

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »
I gather healing leg ulcers was too difficult?

--J.D.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »
now that's the question!  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Paperbackslave

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
I gather healing leg ulcers was too difficult?

--J.D.

Oh that reminds me.  I just saw a program about King Henry, and all the health problems he ended up with, among them leg ulcerations.  Oh the horrid things his many physicians did to him.  Of course, they had to do something, else 'Off with their heads!'
Atheists are spectators in a grand battle of stupid ideas.  Sadly, these ideas get people killed in the name of a loving god on both sides of the delusion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »
I watched that last night too and thought "what an appropo topic for today!" Poor Henry, he seems like quite a lout, but what a horrible thing to suffer.

I can understand why one would resort to amputation if there was nothing else, but considering that anythign an be healed per Christianity, there's no need to have amputated anything in the first place. 

Offline Paperbackslave

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
I watched that last night too and thought "what an appropo topic for today!" Poor Henry, he seems like quite a lout, but what a horrible thing to suffer.

A terrible way to go for sure.  Although clearly old Henry had some issues.  I mean, those codpieces!   :o

Honestly, men  .... yes, I'm looking at you Dr. X.....

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:19 AM »
Honestly, men  .... yes, I'm looking at you Dr. X.....

Yes, Henry's is rather small.

--J.D.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
I like the angels assisting with the surgery...I don't think the nurses' union would allow that today.

The angel on the right seems to be getting herself a little action up his "good" leg  :o
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
The angel on the right seems to be getting herself a little action up his "good" leg  :o

That's honourable service right there.  Distraction can be quite an effective anesthetic  ;)
Git mit uns

Offline tomtom547

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • who actually cares
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 01:22:40 AM »
this is not a picture, this is a painting, and if you beleive it, prove it, chop off your finger and tape on one you found at a morticians clinic at the hospital or buy off a bum, the only thing that will happen is you lose a finger and get a really bad infection, so have fun!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »
Wow, a painting. Well, that's all the evidence I need.  It must be true!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline MonkeySeeDo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
While it may have seemed miraculous at the time, it's more likely that they just bumbled their way into a successful transplant surgery. Nice painting though.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
perhaps an attempt at transplant surgery. Definitly nothing to say it was sucessful at all.  :)

Offline commie_atheist

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • come to the dark side ...we have cookies!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
i find it a bit strange that the angels are straight up midgets.
please forgive my typos, i suck at written English.

atheist extremist communist extraordinaire!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »
yep, they certainly aren't the angels as described in the bible. 

Offline brandn0007

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
Ha Ha you guys make me laugh. This is an account of saints preforming a miracle and an artists depiction of it, yet you seem to think this is a photograph and a legal transcript or something. I think this is actually an answer to your question. Sure this probably isn't the evidence your looking for but definitely shouldn't be neglected or dismissed completely. However, before anyone goes off on a bunch of fallacies, understand that it is 3rd century and has the same probability of having hard evidence now a days as everything else that occurred almost 2 millennia ago.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »
... yet you seem to think this is a photograph and a legal transcript or something.

Well I'll be darned  :o ... thanks for pointing that out  :police:
Git mit uns

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
Ha Ha you guys make me laugh. This is an account of saints preforming a miracle and an artists depiction of it, yet you seem to think this is a photograph and a legal transcript or something. I think this is actually an answer to your question. Sure this probably isn't the evidence your looking for but definitely shouldn't be neglected or dismissed completely. However, before anyone goes off on a bunch of fallacies, understand that it is 3rd century and has the same probability of having hard evidence now a days as everything else that occurred almost 2 millennia ago.

Well, slap me upside the head and call me stupid!  I thought it was a real documented case of a healing!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
Ha Ha you guys make me laugh. This is an account of saints preforming a miracle and an artists depiction of it, yet you seem to think this is a photograph and a legal transcript or something.
No, we don't, but Christains have.

I think this is actually an answer to your question. Sure this probably isn't the evidence your looking for but definitely shouldn't be neglected or dismissed completely. However, before anyone goes off on a bunch of fallacies, understand that it is 3rd century and has the same probability of having hard evidence now a days as everything else that occurred almost 2 millennia ago.
Why not since there has been not one single example of this actually happening?  Shall we go with the dragon that St. George supposedly killed being true too since that's also in paintings?   

I do love how we can have hard evidence of many things but not of religious claims.  Not suprisingly, those just can't seem to keep their "evidence" around.  How wonderfully "convenient"! :P

Offline Jezebel

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
There is something so ironic about people who speak up to point out to US how this sort of thing "isn't real"...  Apparently sarcasm is not part of their native language.

Here is an example for you types:

"OH MY GOD! This is a PHOTOGRAPH! From the THIRD CENTURY! The fact that there even IS a photograph from so long ago PROVES this is a MIRACLE!!!"

That, my dears, is called "sarcasm":

sar·casm
? ?/?s?rkæz?m/ Show Spelled[sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

It is a rhetorical device (that means "fancy way of talkin' ") that we use in order to demonstrate derision (that means "fancy way of makin' fun") in response to something utterly ludicrous (that means "really stupid, like, way stupid man, omg, 2 stupid, ok?").
String1248: "We Christian most certainly can use the bible to prove that what the bible says is true because I know that everything that comes from it is true. Christians confirm scripture with other scripture all the time."