Author Topic: Why GOD does not heal amputees? Maybe because...  (Read 21545 times)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Why GOD does not heal amputees? Maybe because...
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
in islam it is a MUST for every muslim male or female to be educated,as per the holy prophets saying.

Is that why girls suffer acid attacks in Afghanistan to dissuade them from attending school?
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:11 AM »
in islam it is a MUST for every muslim male or female to be educated,as per the holy prophets saying.

Is that why girls suffer acid attacks in Afghanistan to dissuade them from attending school?

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • Truth and Knowledge Seeker
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
A common philosophical question is, "Why do we exist?" Given these two insights, we can now answer the question definitively: There is no "reason" for our existence.

“No reason is the same as “just because”…so we are to believe that because I think, I exist, the answer to my question as to why I exist is simply no reason? Really it is not enough for some of us to blindly walk through life and not understand why I exist except that there is no reason for it. It simply would be the same to accept that a particular button is installed in my car and if I ask the reason its there, and the response is, there simply is no reason for its existence, I would wonder why its there to be begin with? Makes no sense. If this “no reason” is true for other things in life, then these things just exist for no reason and they are just here.”

The fact is that we do exist. Through an evolutionary process, nature has created rational creatures called human beings.

"Now nature has been substituted for God? The statement above implies by stating “nature has created” that somehow whether by intelligence on the part of nature, by blind chance or chemical mixing or amoeba combining etc., life as we see it came about. This really is the same as leaving God in the sentence in place of nature. As an engineer myself I have never observed nature assemble an electronic device. Ok I did not observe it for billions of years of supposed evolution, but I somehow suspect that “nature” still will not make a computer in the next billion years.

In the end we all have to admit we really do not know whether a creator exists called God nor do we understand how “nature” somehow came to be, exists and created all we see. And since from the other statement that there is “no reason” for our existence, why did nature create us? For no reason? 

This whole existence really still makes no sense and leaves one completely empty because we have to admit we simply do not understand or know why we exist for any reason except that we do for no reason really known to us.

Personally, I feel a creator that exists somewhere in the form of energy is responsible for our existence. Why? Simply because it just makes more sense to me to have a responsible creator than simply nature that is not intelligent.  How all this works I do not know, just my point as your point from your internet book pointed out, no reason for our existence was your stance on it all.  I also feel that we have to look beyond the Bible to understand it all if we can. However, admitting that we just don’t understand it at all is no shame. Yes, we want answers and so the speculation will continue.

Until we could ever find out the end of space and what is really out there, and maybe find answers this way, really we have no way of knowing at all. There just seems so much we do not understand even about space and why it exists itself, to fully rule out any other possibilities for why life exists.
One thing we know for sure it that the universe itself does not care that we exist. For if it did I am sure we would feel connected to it and somehow would be in communication with it somehow.”

I am not asking what is truth, even though I seek it, I will know when truth is in front of me, when it is internally consistent, coherent with knowledge, congruent with like experience, useful for helping me organize my thinking, this is all I can ask in seeking the truth.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
This whole existence really still makes no sense and leaves one completely empty because we have to admit we simply do not understand or know why we exist for any reason except that we do for no reason really known to us.

Personally, I feel a creator that exists somewhere in the form of energy is responsible for our existence. Why? Simply because it just makes more sense to me to have a responsible creator than simply nature that is not intelligent.  How all this works I do not know, just my point as your point from your internet book pointed out, no reason for our existence was your stance on it all.  I also feel that we have to look beyond the Bible to understand it all if we can. However, admitting that we just don’t understand it at all is no shame. Yes, we want answers and so the speculation will continue.

Argument from ignorance/incredulity. Nothing new, intelligent, or insightful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:13:42 PM by Alzael »
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
Really it is not enough for some of us to blindly walk through life and not understand why I exist except that there is no reason for it.

"Now nature has been substituted for God?

As an engineer myself I have never observed nature assemble an electronic device.

In the end we all have to admit we really do not know whether a creator exists

We create the reason for our existence.

Nature came first. God has been substituted for nature.

As part of nature and an electrical engineer I have seen plenty electronic devices assembled, often by my own hands.

I don't know if a creator exists, but I have no reason to believe one does.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »

Welcome DR HANS.

We obviously look at the world a bit differently. Because though I don't know why we exist either, that doesn't bother me any more than not knowing how many octopi are around some big coral reef south of Tahiti.

What any one of us know, about anything, is just the tiniest sliver what what can be known. What we know we don't know is a much larger sliver. And then there is the part where we don't know what we don't know, which is a humongous amount. To let that type of ignorance bother me would be the same as being bothered by not knowing what radio signals are going through me right now (how much Rush Limbaugh, how much NPR?). And that's not an issue, any more than not knowing the specifics of why we exist.

I do like it that people are out there looking. And I enjoy trying to keep up with their various findings. But my day to day existence is not dependent on knowing my either my origins or my future. Other than knowing I'm going to die some day and dealing with my everyday existence, which is a bit boring, my future is no clearer than my past. Or the past of the universe. Yet I get by, unencumbered by what is, right now, excusable ignorance. We just plain don't know.

I could fill all of that with some imaginary force. I'd be making it up because one of the things about not knowing is that ignorance part. Complete ignorance. At least about the specifics. Even the big guns don't understand the specifics of the big bang, or what came before it. So for me to either make up my own story or listen to what some sheepherders came up with 2,000 years ago, or to seek any other explanation, is of no importance. A hundred billion people have lived and died without accurate info on the subject. I ain't special, so I don't think I need any more info than they had. I'm not in the mood to conjure up something and let that imaginary story comfort me. I don't need comfort so bad that I'm willing to lie to myself about it.

Am I curious? Yes. Am I feeling needy about answers? No.. I've got breakfast to make, work to do, friends to see, forums to post on, money to save, a new nephew to spoil and high gas prices to complain about. I don't have time to worry about why.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
A common philosophical question is, "Why do we exist?"

Perhaps it is a nonsensical question?  Like,"what color is auto repair?" Or "what sound does green make?"  Sure, sometimes random words may sound deep and enigmatic, but that is just asthetics.  Just because you can string the words together does not mean they make any sense arranged thusly. 

Personally, I feel a creator that exists somewhere in the form of energy is responsible for our existence.

I think you are thinking energy is a glowing ball of plasma-like substance.  That's not what energy is.  Energy also isn't intelligent.  That is because it is, for the most part, just an idea that helps us understand mass and motion.

Until we could ever find out the end of space...

There is another example of words strung together to form a deep sounding, but actually meaningless phrase.  The end of space.  Are you even sure there is such a thing?  And if you find it, how can there be a beyond? 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
Dr: What was your area of study there at Chadwick U?
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Quote from: DR HANS SCHWANTZ link=topic=17574.msg479484#msg479484
This whole .....existence really still makes no sense and leaves one completely empty ........”

It may leave YOU completely empty - which is why you feel the need to make something up to fill yourself with - but it is by no means a universal problem.

Have you ever wondered what it is about your life that predisposes you to feeling purposeless?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:56:36 PM by screwtape »
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
"Now nature has been substituted for God? The statement above implies by stating “nature has created” that somehow whether by intelligence on the part of nature, by blind chance or chemical mixing or amoeba combining etc., life as we see it came about. This really is the same as leaving God in the sentence in place of nature.

First of all there are three claims here, all of which are false.

Crystal are neither made by intelligence, or random. The come about because of the properties of the components, when the components do not have those properties, crystals do not come about.

So it goes back in regression to the particles and properties of the unioverse, it was neither blind chance...nor intelligence. If the laws of nature do not have properties, the universe does not come into being. It has, all those particles and law have those properties.

Therefore it is not the same as "god" and "nature" as far as the universe goes.

Secondly cut and paste as your first post? Shows a great lack of respect on your part, you should be ashamed.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »
As an engineer myself I have never observed nature assemble an electronic device. Ok I did not observe it for billions of years of supposed evolution, but I somehow suspect that “nature” still will not make a computer in the next billion years.
Nature did build an electronic device.  Humans are part of nature.  Always curious when humans try to claim they aren’t. 
Sorry, but your claims that one is completely empty is nonsense and nothing more than an appeal to emotion.  This existence makes sense to me.  We’re the result of physical processes and we live our lives as we like, giving them meaning ourselves. 
As has been said, an argument from personal incredulity based on nothing.  Your response to “we don’t know *yet*” is “Goddidit”.  It’s just your personally made up version of “god”.  As for a “responsible creator” your creator is quite an idiot considering the screwups it’s made.
Until we could ever find out the end of space and what is really out there, and maybe find answers this way, really we have no way of knowing at all. There just seems so much we do not understand even about space and why it exists itself, to fully rule out any other possibilities for why life exists.
Well, Hans, if you have evidence for this god then show it.  Your argument is basically Russell’s TeapotWiki.   

One thing we know for sure it that the universe itself does not care that we exist. For if it did I am sure we would feel connected to it and somehow would be in communication with it somehow.”
The universe can’t care.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »

These 2 sentences are so badly written that your material seems not to be a Poe but a Sokal.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Hey Doc:

Any relationship to the Hans S. of the Hitler Youth movement?

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
Are you gonna answer any questions? Engage in any conversations or is this gonna be like your typical posting history...say at Black Atheist, and elsewhere?

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
I wondered how someone could get a doctorate and still write like he hadn't taken English 101 Composition.

Googling I found this:
I graduated from Chadwick U in the 90's and enjoyed the program. Accreditation is just another form of discrimination designed to lock out people that decide to do things their way and learn the way they want to learn. Many colleges are designed to take your money and do not want to accept credits no matter where from in extracting the most money from students much as a car dealership strives to maximize the most they can get from customers. Employers that are in bed with accredited colleges are working to hire only graduates from specific colleges simply because of the money that exchanges between the college and company. Its all a game...look back at the earlier centuries of time, and notice that many brilliant scientists, mathematicians and others never went to college yet were Renaissance type scholars who knew and excelled at many subjects.

I am surprised that since we are moving towards a one world order that one is not forced yet to enter a school that the government or employer wants you to go to in order to receive monetary compensation to make a living at.

So like Frank Sinatra said, “I did it my way” still rings true for those of use that want to think and do for ourselves without having to follow the crowd.

Peace Out
Dr. Hans Schwantz

This is not an Argumentum ad Hominem, aka, cheap shot.  He tossed his title at us.  That is an Argumentum ad Verecundiam, aka, credential bullying, so I am tossing back at him.

BTW, I have an Award of Arms in the Society for Creative Anachronism so it would behoove you all to address me as Lord Historicity.

I can hold my breath for about 2 minutes ..........................................

phew!  gasp, pant.

OK, I give up.  You're not going to address me by that title.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
I wondered how someone could get a doctorate and still write like he hadn't taken English 101 Composition.

Diploma mill, particularly Doctorates of Theology are easy to come by. Considered buying one for $100.00 to go with my title of Reverend.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
A common philosophical question is, "Why do we exist?"

I agree; this is a common philosophical question.

Given these two insights, we can now answer the question definitively: There is no "reason" for our existence.

What "two insights".

On what level do you want the question answered?  ;)

Hint: One some level, we inherently don't know.

“No reason is the same as “just because”…

As some rather angry atheists have pointed out, you've forgotten about "I don't know".

The fact is that we do exist. Through an evolutionary process, nature has created rational creatures called human beings.
[/quoter]

Yes, this is a fact.

"Now nature has been substituted for God?

Not really. "Nature" is code for what we can observe; i.e., those processes that go around us.

This really is the same as leaving God in the sentence in place of nature.

It depends; some definition of the word God refer to things we observe such as the sun and even evolution.

As an engineer myself I have never observed nature assemble an electronic device.
[/quote]

I doubt that you are an 'engineer' but lts grant you that.

A sensible definition of nature would include human activity but in any case we would not expect electronic devices to evolve.

Ok I did not observe it for billions of years of supposed evolution, but I somehow suspect that “nature” still will not make a computer in the next billion years.

Nature made men and men made computers so you have been proven wrong.

I agree that there lies a bit of a paradox to our intuition.

As for being "empty", I disagree. A feeling of being with it is rather subjective.

[quote
Personally, I feel a creator that exists somewhere in the form of energy is responsible for our existence. Why? Simply because it just makes more sense to me to have a responsible creator than simply nature that is not intelligent.
[/quote]

It only makes sense unless you inquire on the origin of and nature of the creator.  :police: The intuition i can relate to but its speculation. Speculation is fun but its not conclusive.

How all this works I do not know

Exactly. As I agreed with you at the beginning.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »
This is not an Argumentum ad Hominem, aka, cheap shot.  He tossed his title at us.  That is an Argumentum ad Verecundiam, aka, credential bullying, so I am tossing back at him.

BTW, I have an Award of Arms in the Society for Creative Anachronism so it would behoove you all to address me as Lord Historicity.

Can I call you "Lord H." for short?  "Lord Historicity" doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

And as long as we're trotting out credentials...

(Springy G reaches into Her wallet and pulls out the 2012 membership card for the Asgard Deities' Union, Local 204)

...Astreja K. Odinsdóttir, goddess of the Northern hemisphere vernal equinox; chocolate; punctuation {glares momentarily at Dr. Schwantz}; and random equipment malfunctions.

Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
The question WHY GOD WONT CURE AMPUTEES is not relevant if you consider it in Hinduist faith, but is in Christian faith. So, from that perspective i submit that my post here might have some merit to the reader. Thank you.

Actually, quite frankly, I don't think its "relavent" to the Christian faith either.

No, perhaps, if the question was, Why didn't Jesus heal amputees, we'd be talking.

The magazines you subscribe to aren't very relavent. On of the most extreme Christian creationists I've ever seen has a genuine phd in physics.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »
After all this time, Ricky still doesn't understand the point of the "WWGHA" question.

Puzzling.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Cmerry92

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2012, 03:32:18 AM »
Let's say God healed every amputee. As soon as one believed in God their ligament would grow back. Faith would be completely destroyed. No one would doubt God's existence.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:01 AM »
Let's say God healed every amputee. As soon as one believed in God their ligament would grow back.
<snip>
No one would doubt God's existence.

If your god healed every amputee in a way that everyone knew it was her/it/him, then yes, nobody would doubt her/its/his existence.

Faith would be completely destroyed.

Are you saying this is a bad thing?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Ate The Ism

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ghostbuster
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2012, 04:49:37 AM »
According to the bible the angels knew god existed yet 1/3rd of these angels chose to betray god. This can be seen as an analogy for humans, especially since we are infinitely less perfect than angels. Even if humans knew god existed (no faith required) some humans should still choose to not worship god (at least according to Christians, I think god could have created a world in which everyone had free will and still chose to worship him).

On one hand you have a god that emphasizes faith so that only the worthy, obedient, and diligent enter heaven; on the other hand, in the new testament, we see a different god, a caring, merciful, loving god that always forgives his children. One would think that every generation would perceive god the same since god never changes, but the truth is that the perception of god has continued to change since his conception a couple thousand years ago.
God is the Ultimate Boeing 747

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2012, 06:02:44 AM »
Faith would be completely destroyed. No one would doubt God's existence.

And to join the chorus: so what?

The angels had no "faith", yet they were still able to choose.  Adam and Eve needed no faith, nor did Noah, or Moses.  Not one disciple needed "faith" - yet they were still able to choose to follow, or to deny, or to betray.

So what's the big deal about faith?  Damn near every person mentioned in the Bible is acting on knowledge rather than faith, so why the big change from 40CE onwards?  Indeed, why so much direct manifestation of god at all, if "faith" is so important?

The answer of course is that "faith" HAS to be extolled as a virtue, precisely because there IS no evidence, in the same way as the "thou shalt not test thy god" having to be in there as well (despite of course there being specific biblical examples of testing god).  Only a religion that makes a virtue of having no evidence and refusing to test could survive the millenia.  But such a religion MUST, perforce, be nothing more than a "best guess", since ANY evidence put forward will by definition erode the faith that you deem so important.

So I'm interested - do you really believe based on nothing?  Or do you believe there IS evidence for your beliefs - and does the existence of that evidence dissolve your faith?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Let's say God healed every amputee. As soon as one believed in God their ligament would grow back. Faith would be completely destroyed. No one would doubt God's existence.

your savior said that his miracles were to be believed in to prove his claims about this god (John 10, in case you are as ignorant about your own bible as most Christians are). Per your own bible, this god and his supposed son don't agree with your claims at all and they weren't afraid at all that people would suddenly "have no faith".  Why is that, Cmerry?  Why is it that Christains now have to make up excuses about their god that aren't supported by this god's actions in the bible?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »

So according to your Holy Book, there were numerous figures that interacted dierectly with God. Are you saying that the Faith of say, Moses, was worthless?

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »

Nobody in the bible had "faith" in god, since they knew that he existed.  It was as plain to them the same way that rocks exists.

So at what point did this basic knowledge become "wrong"?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
  • What is in the bottle? No it's water
« Reply #230 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:07 AM »

HE/SHE WANTS THE AMPUTEES TO HELP THEMSELVES!
 :)
SIMPLE
;)
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #231 on: February 29, 2012, 03:45:58 AM »

HE/SHE WANTS THE AMPUTEES TO HELP THEMSELVES!
 :)
SIMPLE
;)

Ah, someone else who doesn't really understand the point of the WWGHA question - we get that a lot, Orpat, so don't worry!

The point of the WWGHA question is that there are (we are told) any amount of things that god will step in and do: heal cancer; make it rain; make legs longer; leave water bottles in the desert.....in short, god will do almost anything......

.....but the one thing he seemingly will not do, is heal an amputee[1].  So for your point above - "s/he wants them to help themselves" - you will need to explain why that ONLY applies to amputees, and not to any other condition where god allwgedly intervenes.
 1. or anything else that could not happen by chance, or as a result of human intervention