Author Topic: Photo Thread  (Read 11091 times)

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
Re: Photo Thread
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:07:49 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
Why are you all so old?

Kids today. Always complaining just because we got a head start. When I was your age we was clubbing mastedons over the head and I didn't have to learn to read in the first grade because it hadn't been invented yet. Reading, that is. My mom invented the first grade just to get me out of the cave. But you go ahead and gloat. Just because you can hula hoop good on that Wii thing and know what D&D means doesn't mean you're any better than us, though.

By "us" I mean the three of us that are over 50 and still alive. Most people who claim they're that old are lying. By 45, most folks are dead or in old folks homes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I got to hug a purdy girl once. Her boyfriend hit me pretty hard with a battle ax afterwards, but it was worth it.  ;D
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »

They call me "Smiley".

Why do they call you slimey?  ;)
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • No one leaves the Nightosphere
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
@ urs:

Many people can relate themselves to the whole distraction thing, but ADHD is a serious mental disorder, despite people saying, "Pfft, anyone can claim they have it, hell, they can diagnose you incorrectly," which is true. I'll go ahead and explain what I have. Wikipedia does a really good job describing what ADHD really is. In fact, let me get that article out and get another source. Also, it's something you are diagnosed with as a kid normally, but what happens usually is that people find out later in life. You can still get help, which is good. I was diagnosed in Argentina when I was 5-years old, and I had three therapists working on me so that I could pass my classes for once.

One thing that I noticed about myself is I sometimes get obsessed with certain things, and apparently, it is related to ADHD. Just very compulsive behavior. I also can't help but get twitchy and fidgety at the most random times.

Here is Wikipedia. The classification part is accurate. I am, unfortunately, the one in the middle (predominantly inattentive). You can go down to comorbid disorders under Signs and Symptoms to get an idea of what other additional things ADHD can do to a person. I don't like it. It made my life miserable before I was sent to the mental institution. It was a whole cluster of problems I had, and to show the severity of my situation, I was hanging out with rape victims, sexual abuse victims, schizophrenics, self-haters (I still have that issue, but I definitely am better. Before, I had no control over it), and the like. In other words, I was not OK, but I'm just happy it gave me a great kick-start to a better life.

Here is an additional source. It's good to look at the other disorders/problems that go with ADHD, otherwise, you don't have it:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml

Also... Fuck, I forgot. Maybe I'll remember later. Lost a thought.
Edit: I remember now. It has to do with medication. Oh, yeah, the ADHD medication. Don't do it. It's bull-shit. I never took it, but the only medications I had to take were anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:29:22 PM by LadyAmorosaLuckyDulce »

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2011, 10:46:01 PM »
@ urs:

Many people can relate themselves to the whole distraction thing, but ADHD is a serious mental disorder, despite people saying, "Pfft, anyone can claim they have it, hell, they can diagnose you incorrectly," which is true. I'll go ahead and explain what I have. Wikipedia does a really good job describing what ADHD really is. In fact, let me get that article out and get another source. Also, it's something you are diagnosed with as a kid normally, but what happens usually is that people find out later in life. You can still get help, which is good. I was diagnosed in Argentina when I was 5-years old, and I had three therapists working on me so that I could pass my classes for once.

One thing that I noticed about myself is I sometimes get obsessed with certain things, and apparently, it is related to ADHD. Just very compulsive behavior. I also can't help but get twitchy and fidgety at the most random times.

Here is Wikipedia. The classification part is accurate. I am, unfortunately, the one in the middle (predominantly inattentive). You can go down to comorbid disorders under Signs and Symptoms to get an idea of what other additional things ADHD can do to a person. I don't like it. It made my life miserable before I was sent to the mental institution. It was a whole cluster of problems I had, and to show the severity of my situation, I was hanging out with rape victims, sexual abuse victims, schizophrenics, self-haters (I still have that issue, but I definitely am better. Before, I had no control over it), and the like. In other words, I was not OK, but I'm just happy it gave me a great kick-start to a better life.

Here is an additional source. It's good to look at the other disorders/problems that go with ADHD, otherwise, you don't have it:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml

Also... Fuck, I forgot. Maybe I'll remember later. Lost a thought.
Edit: I remember now. It has to do with medication. Oh, yeah, the ADHD medication. Don't do it. It's bull-shit. I never took it, but the only medications I had to take were anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds.

Oh, no, I've got it; I was diagnosed two years ago. I cut my doc's hair every two weeks, and he thought I was a good candidate, and after some research, I had to agree with him. He had me take a few tests, and he was right-o. I started off taking Adderall, which initially seemed like a godsend, but then I got really bitchy, and it turned into a love-hate relationship - I loved that I felt more functional, but I hated how it made me feel, which was either nothing, or bitchy. I started Wellbutrin in Dec. after I discovered some research that noted that it has been useful in treating mild to moderate ADD, and that's been much better; plus it really helps with the neuropathic pain I've had the last few years. It actually makes me a bit more focused than the Adderall did, too, without even a hint of the crankiness.

I also get obsessed with certain things: bright colors, hair, neuroscience, and all social sciences (don't even get me started on the random infatuations of my childhood - Chinese brush painting? For real?). I am finally putting it to good use and am back in school pursuing a psych degree. Plus, if the day ever comes that I can't physically do hair anymore, I will need a backup career that doesn't require coordination, balance, or fine motor skills. I still can't keep track of my pencils or my parking spots, but I have better coping skills than I did in high school, so I am doing alright so far. Thanks for the info, though; I appreciate it. Not only cute and smart, but nice, too? You're a triple threat!

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2011, 11:16:51 PM »
Ray: monochrome ftw!  I love that it makes everyone look all noir-y.  We should have a thread just for b/w pics!
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »
Ray: monochrome ftw!  I love that it makes everyone look all noir-y.  We should have a thread just for b/w pics!

What do you mean?

I didn't modify that picture at all.

That's just what my world looks like without the light of Jesus in it.

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2011, 11:19:06 PM »

But wait - my haircolor won't show in b/w. Can't do it.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »

You could always go all super artsy and b/w everything EXCEPT the head fur.

Is she a foxy albino? Does she have neon in her bloodstream? Nobody knows!

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2011, 11:25:29 PM »

I rarely actually LOL anymore, but that did it  ;D
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »

You could always go all super artsy and b/w everything EXCEPT the head fur

Is she a foxy albino? Does she have neon in her bloodstream? Nobody knows!

You must be psychic.

Photographer: Tyanne Haviland
Hair and Make up: Me
Hair and tat lighting: Jesus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uggoff/5367725268/#

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Oh, no, I've got it; I was diagnosed two years ago. I cut my doc's hair every two weeks, and he thought I was a good candidate, and after some research, I had to agree with him. He had me take a few tests, and he was right-o. I started off taking Adderall, which initially seemed like a godsend, but then I got really bitchy, and it turned into a love-hate relationship - I loved that I felt more functional, but I hated how it made me feel, which was either nothing, or bitchy. I started Wellbutrin in Dec. after I discovered some research that noted that it has been useful in treating mild to moderate ADD, and that's been much better; plus it really helps with the neuropathic pain I've had the last few years. It actually makes me a bit more focused than the Adderall did, too, without even a hint of the crankiness.

I also get obsessed with certain things: bright colors, hair, neuroscience, and all social sciences (don't even get me started on the random infatuations of my childhood - Chinese brush painting? For real?). I am finally putting it to good use and am back in school pursuing a psych degree. Plus, if the day ever comes that I can't physically do hair anymore, I will need a backup career that doesn't require coordination, balance, or fine motor skills. I still can't keep track of my pencils or my parking spots, but I have better coping skills than I did in high school, so I am doing alright so far. Thanks for the info, though; I appreciate it. Not only cute and smart, but nice, too? You're a triple threat!

At least the meds work on you. The reason that the 3 therapists that I got as a child didn't give me meds to make focus more was because apparently, I didn't need it. They worked me out through therapy, and I could start passing my classes. Problem was, they didn't fix the whole problem. They just made it so I can only do one task at a time exceptionally good, due to all my focus being on one task. It back-fired on me, so it's very difficult to focus even still. I do good and all, but it is unfortunate that I cannot be to my full capabilities. I never want to blame the ADHD, I blamed myself majority of my life, but that made matters worse. Thing is, it's something that you and I cannot control, as much as we want it. I tried so many methods to make it so I could make my focus problems better, such as:

• To-do lists
  • Post-it notes
  • Practicing multi-tasking
  • Practicing writing with both my right and left hands
  • Practicing music (I played the Piano, Violin, and Viola, pre-professionally at Violin and Viola)
  • Harsher self-criticism
  • Harsher self-discipline (not cutting or anything like that!)
  • Making myself challenges (such as, complete all tasks, not just a few)
  • Focusing on other things, not just ONE thing (otherwise, I disassociate and lose my train of thought)
  • Raise the standards
  • Increase my hobbies (gaming, gardening, botany, drawing, music, research, read a book, etc)
  • Self-control (which means, looking like I blanked out and talk to myself in my thoughts)
  • Thinking things over (back-fired, now I think too much)
  • Not obsessing over hobbies (mission failed, challenge proved impossible)

The list could go on. I'm sure you try many of the things I tried!  :D And good luck to you. By the way, you're very pretty, much prettier than me I think haha. I'm not sure where I stand on the Level of Attractiveness scale, but after telling my husband about the boyfriends and relationship problems I had, he raged and told me, "Look, you have no reason to hate yourself, so why do you?". Fuck if I know, even today. Like I said, messed-up brain chemicals. I cannot appreciate myself as much as I would love to, especially because I set myself too many standards and I have obsession with trying to perfect everything, but I have more control over that now. It was my parents who were at fault in this, too. They always indirectly told me (myself being an extremely sensitive person, such as Tchaikovsky), "You aren't good enough, do better, you suck." Hmm, on that thought, they directly told me those things as well. They were not very supportive. They treated me like a mere child.

I can honestly say, they had no respect for me, and I always debated with them and tried to prove them wrong (that's how my knack for debate came about), but since they were adults and they said they were superior, I would try to stop, but that was stupid.  :P As I grew up more and more, they finally decided one day to not see a "rebellious" child (HAH! I wasn't, I was a very, very, VERY tame kid), but a more rationalizing type of child. Even then, the insults continued, so, like I gave a shit. It made me very upset; it was emotional abuse to say the least. I'm just glad I'm out of that house. They were cuckoo, but I still love them, as they love me. It was very hard to cope with two children (it wasn't just me, it's my brother as well) who have ADHD. The other two siblings are fine, which is so relieving to them...  :laugh: I debated way too much with them, and they would beat me for that, especially my dad. In the end, I win, so it's all good. They are both receiving therapy as we speak. :3

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

There is a perfectly serviceable b/w shot amongst them urs  "black and white2"

Otherwise outrageously beautiful colours throughout.

Offline Str82Hell

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »
Why thank you "Str8" (wink wink).  But Infidel Muhammad has first claim on my body for recreational purposes, pending any change in my marital status.

Pony: I see what you mean.  It was not intentional.  Perhaps subconsciously that's why I picked that one though.  Yee ha!
I guess you figured out my comment was directed to Lady Amoras ;)
Quote from: George Bernard Shaw
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one

Offline Vivisectus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:02 AM »
lol i just saw that that was the joke and now I feel a bit stupid and lazy for not reading the thread
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:46:07 AM by Vivisectus »
It is a foine loine between a poirate and a farrrmer. Oi stand astroid that foine loine.

Offline Str82Hell

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2011, 05:42:32 AM »
I've also been to the hospital because I thought I had ADHD because I am easily distracted and forget the most normal things. My father had autism, so they were linking my behaviour to autism. It turns out that I'm mild autistic/ADHD, i.e. that I don't actually have ADHD or autism, but that my difficulties are caused by ADHD/autism-like behaviour.

I'm delaying, but I still have to make an appointment with the students' psychologist so that they can help me to get some structure in my life.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one

Offline Vivisectus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »

oh and here's my phiz. You can tell I am a ball of pent-up rage and self-loathing at the non-existence of god.

It is a foine loine between a poirate and a farrrmer. Oi stand astroid that foine loine.

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2011, 06:12:07 AM »
Oh sweet, fellow ADHD-ers! Fidgiting, pacing and forgetfulness (that's one that's gotten more annoying lately) are pretty much like daily hobbies for me.

Offline Str82Hell

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2011, 06:13:24 AM »
You look like your dog :P

Offline Vivisectus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2011, 06:53:27 AM »
which one:

Offline Str82Hell

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
The one from your avatar.

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »

There is a perfectly serviceable b/w shot amongst them urs  "black and white2"

Otherwise outrageously beautiful colours throughout.

Aww, thanks! I like colors, in general. I don't have a favorite, because it's too hard to decide on just one. I go through phases where I develop "preferences" for certain colors, and you will see those preferences displayed in my appearance, but they change from week to week and month to month.

And, nice dogs, Vivisectus! They look friendly, like their owner.

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »
I've also been to the hospital because I thought I had ADHD because I am easily distracted and forget the most normal things. My father had autism, so they were linking my behaviour to autism. It turns out that I'm mild autistic/ADHD, i.e. that I don't actually have ADHD or autism, but that my difficulties are caused by ADHD/autism-like behaviour.

I'm delaying, but I still have to make an appointment with the students' psychologist so that they can help me to get some structure in my life.

Please get better, don't delay. My parents delayed for far too long, and it got worse for me. (But now I'm better of course :)) I wish you the best! And if you feel it is unfortunate that I am not single, I'm sorry.  :-X Couldn't help but fall for the Air Force stud. Hey, not only was he strong, but he was sweet and a complete nerd burger. 

Oh sweet, fellow ADHD-ers! Fidgiting, pacing and forgetfulness (that's one that's gotten more annoying lately) are pretty much like daily hobbies for me.

Heh. Pacing is annoying, the forgetfulness is frustrating, and the fidgeting is actually calming.  :D

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2011, 03:35:26 PM »
I can't seem to get a photo to size properly. It keeps showing up on here at an enormous size. So here's a link instead.

http://h1.ripway.com/Alzael/IMG_0133.JPG
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
so, that's what you look like when yet again one of our theists is being willfully ignorant? About ready to pop them? ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Vivisectus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »
You look like your dog :P

How dare you insult my girlfriend. You sure, will face me at dawn. At dawn I say!

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
so, that's what you look like when yet again one of our theists is being willfully ignorant? About ready to pop them? ;D

Actually that's my normal expression. It's when I don't look grumpy and I stop making snarky comments that you have to be worried.

I also notice that I'm the only black guy here. At least I have a monopoly on the market.

"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
I have a lot of black friends.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.