Author Topic: Photo Thread  (Read 11394 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Photo Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
ah, if I would win a big lottery, I'd have to bring all of our musicians together for a session.....and the rest of us for one crazy convention. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Paperbackslave

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Earth is awesome - enjoy it while you can
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
Oh look!  Gnu IS soft and fluffy!  I gnu it!

And here is mah wedding day, 1995  - may everyone have a significant other look at them like he looked at me.

Ironic, I know, what with the bible, dress and all.  What can I say, I grew up always wanting that cool dress.  But I made everyone else wear jeans, and hubby was all in leather!  ;D

Atheists are spectators in a grand battle of stupid ideas.  Sadly, these ideas get people killed in the name of a loving god on both sides of the delusion.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
@rev45
oooh... a fellow musician. Obviously I'm into metal. What do you play?
Rock mostly but I'm open to play just about anything.  The band I'm in sounds like 90's alternative rock.  We get compared to Nirvana and Foo Fighters a lot.

My new 6 string bass.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Got a thing for Schecter basses, rev45?
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »
Yes I do.  The 4 string is my favorite bass I've ever owned.  I tried one at a guitar shop and I knew I had to get one.  When I wanted to expand my sound, I tried a few other brands but found myself loving the Schecter brand again so I went with a 6 string.

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
lol, Schecter makes a good bass, that's for sure.

I build and play my own basses:

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
Here's my latest driver's license pic.  Typical, dull.  It wasn't a good day, standing on line a long time.  The worst smile.

Survey results coming soon!

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »
I build and play my own basses:
That's awesome, I wish I had the know how and patience to build my own gear.  Any videos of you playing?

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Sweet ... the bassist in my band is getting a 6-string... not sure which though...

I play Dean, ESP and, occasionally, Jackson guitars.

Super fat gauge for down-tuning :)
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
None that are any good. We did some videos at the last gig, but the sound quality was horrible. We are going to fix that soon, though.

Here's some mp3's I've been working on.

Somewhere Uptown

Mister Magic

Bottom's Up

I also work part time building for Gadow Guitars.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »
What can I say?     absolutely stunning stuff Aga and I am an acknowledged lifelong addicted music nazi very hard to please.

Somewhere Uptown
beautiful flowing melody    the vocalist reminds me of very much of the clear brilliance of Greg Lake and the lot of ya are really producing superb goods

Mister Magic 
smooth grooving cruise   reminded me of steely dan  very tight  very clean sound

Bottom's Up
oh funk me dead!  you slapping darkhorse  and a really great lead into the track (I love a trickster potent beginning)   

I love it, I really do.  three very diverse tracks means wonderful scope  please post more and get cracking ;)

of course I am making the assumption from what you said, that this is your band, and not just you playing and singing everything???

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:30:21 PM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
lol, thanks, KH. In Somewhere Uptown there was a local group looking for a bassist. I heard their demo tracks and they had no bass on that one. I wasn't able to join the band, but I added the bass track and re-mastered the original mp3 just because I liked the tune.

Mr. Magic is an old Grover Washington tune. That recording is from a band I formed a few years back called "Elements."

Bottoms Up is my cover of a Victor Bailey tune, but I never finished it. The drums on it were done by the same drummer from Elements. One of these days I'll have time I guess... :)

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »

This Fire Burns is an awesome song ... I'm a sucker for heavy riffs with melodic choruses.

Me too... I love the contrast! I'm a music lover in general- I love almost every kind of music. Yes, country, rap, emo, pop, all of it! My playlist is a lot of Nine Inch Nails, TOOL, A Perfect Circle (Hubby, Geo, is a Mayanrd addict), Shinedown, Linkin Park, Goo Goo Dolls, Nickel Creek (bluegrass), and many random songs I've come across. I can listen to The Rolling Stones then Toby Keith, then Shakira, then Jack Off Jill... my music tastes are really random.
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +120/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
@Madbunny- I wish I could see more of your face!

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
LOL Madbunny!

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
Because I am a photo-whore:

That's what I look like as of 5 minutes ago.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
cool, bass guitar.   8)  what is that zebra pattern in the wood, is that the way its cut or is that some sort of unique species of maple, with a special cut?
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »
cool, bass guitar.   8)  what is that zebra pattern in the wood, is that the way its cut or is that some sort of unique species of maple, with a special cut?

Thanks. Both are flamed maple with mahogany backs. I have another two on the way, one is flamed maple on swamp ash, the other is flamed redwood on maple and swamp ash with purpleheart stripes running parallel to the neck.

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »
Here's my latest driver's license pic.  Typical, dull.  It wasn't a good day, standing on line a long time.  The worst smile.

Is that actually an edited photo of you, or is it just some pic on the web?

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 04:21:07 AM »
You people... comfortable with your appearance that you're willing and eager to post images of yourselves. 

LOL.  What's that like, anyway?

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 05:29:52 AM »
I personally hate picture taking and they never turn out good because I'm uncomfortable and too unenthusiastic for it to look good. So, I'll do a pic that I didn't know was being taken with crappy quality from the side!

Me at graduation shortly after getting my diploma. I personally don't think I'm ugly, but I always thought I looked weird from the side. Not to mention that damn cap was awkward as hell to wear.

EDIT: Perfect for the 666th post. Hee hee.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:32:33 AM by Sleeping Shadow »

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +120/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
You people... comfortable with your appearance that you're willing and eager to post images of yourselves. 

Feels fine.  If everybody was as awesome as this, the world would freeze over from coolness.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

I was kicked down for so many years... now, I'm proud of myself and who I am. I have come a long way... it's been a hard road, but worth every tear.

Me in my favorite dress:

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
Aga:
Going for the Jim Morrison look, Gnu?
Paperbackslave:
Oh look!  Gnu IS soft and fluffy! 
I am not, dammit! I'm mean, and moody, and mag...

<sigh>

Oh alright. As I've mentioned before, the name wildebeest is a misnomer; gnus may look fierce and wild, but they are essentially very timid creatures whose basic response to any problem is to run away from it very fast. While looking fierce. And wearing shades. And trying to look tough like Jim Morrison. Just like me.

Actually Aga, at about the time of that photo, I moved into a complete glam-rock thing based on Bowie, Roxy Music and Mott the Hoople. If I remember correctly (and I'm afraid I do), this involved wearing silver platform boots, velvet jackets, eye-makeup and lipstick. (And losing the beard; because that would look silly, right?).

I am relieved to say that no photographs of that particularly gnuminous phase of my life have survived. You'll have to use your imagination.

Moving on; fifteen years later, I'd abandoned my dreams of Being Jim Morrison, and instead decided to pursue power directly by becoming a politician. Rather stupidly, I joined a Party which reflected my political beliefs (the Green Party), thus ensuring that my dreams of power would remain dreams. Nevertheless, I did stand for Parliament in the UK General Election of '87, and I remain eternally grateful to the 383 people who voted for me.

This was the photo used in the campaign literature:

Too soft and fluffy, probably. Should've worn shades.

PS Larissa, great dress! And headband! You look like you're going to sacrifice a goat, or something... I like that in a woman...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:06:02 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »
This thread is exciting. I wanna see a pic from every reg member on here now or a link to one.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +120/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
Too soft and fluffy, probably. Should've worn shades.

Got you covered there.

Yeaaaaaaaaahhh.

FYI, it's a good picture regardless.  You'd have fit in on any number of crime dramas on the air these days.

GnuCaruso... brilliant detective with the uncanny ability to keep track of obscure information tracks down and stops crime.  It's
Steady Justice!  Airing 8:30 pm on BBC 8, right after Dr. Who.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »
Is that actually an edited photo of you, or is it just some pic on the web?

When Xanthasian DMV gave me my hyperdrive operator's license, that's what they printed on it.  Actual pic.  No editing.  Although, I am greener around the gills than usual.  Probably due to the long lines I had to wait on that day.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »

Yeah, see.  Googly eyes, bouncy chipmunk cheeks.  And, I told you, you're looking rather tan... vacation in Bermuda?