Author Topic: Possible Ban on Male Circumcision Debate  (Read 14627 times)

Offline Ambivalent

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Possible Ban on Male Circumcision Debate
« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
My boyfriend is from Russia. He can't comprehend why people get in Canada and US circumcise their children. He considered it to be a "Jewish" thing and was surprised that even non-religious people practiced it. Apparently, no one in Russia does this - and I hear many European countries don't either. This is a cultural difference.

My boyfriend has never had any hygiene issues.  :? The circumcision shouldn't even be a debate. People are brainwashed the same way they are with religion - they've been told that apparently males who aren't circumcised aren't clean.  :-\ Some sort of bullcrap about yellow stuff (I've never seen in my boyfriend's) being stuck there.

I find it funny how circumcised men come on here and recite stories they've HEARD about uncircumcised men. How the heck would you know? If they clean their regions, they're fine and dandy. Are all these circumcised men too lazy to clean that tiny bit of skin? Seriously?  &)

It's a shame people even get bullied by that. My father wasn't circumcised (his Mother was from Slovenia - AGAIN, they don't really practice it there either), and if he was in the changing room it somehow got pointed out. Why people gave a crap? I have no idea. Evidently people care (especially women), about how the dick looks - and apparently would prefer it to look as unnatural as possible.

Ladies who can't stand the way a natural penis looks - I hope you don't whine about how males prefer skinny models with fake breasts. Since you want fake from men.

And here's an argument against male circumcision and it being "cleaner" - circumcised women are ALSO much cleaner and suffer few diseases. Why not circumcise them? Because the process is worse? Hey, a little baby boy having to get the skin ripped/clamped off isn't exactly pleasing either.

You're doing something for nothing and basing it on rumors. And regardless of what anyone says here, you'll defend your stripped penis because you have one and you don't want to face the fact that most of males outside of North America don't do it.  &)

Circumcision is no longer considered covered by public health care in some parts of Canada right now. I certainly won't be forking out $300 to cut my baby's penis. If you choose to, go ahead. I haven't seen circumcised males suffer too many difficulties despite their obsession with having an uncut penis - and some squishmish hypocritical women. *shrug* They don't feel like they're missing out and they're probably not. I don't think it should be banned, but I think perhaps people need to get their heads out of their butts and see that their baby will be entirely fine with or without.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:19:19 PM by Ambivalent »

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #233 on: October 04, 2011, 04:29:40 AM »
And therein lies the rub innit? The "breach" of human rights is not so clear in this case. How many people view the practice as a part of their cultural identity vs. how many people don't have a strong opinion one way or the other vs. how many people are outraged by the practice. Not very many people are outraged. Should one section of society be forced to change their customs because a few people from another section of society think it's wrong? In certain cases[1], absolutely. In this case? Not so clear.
 1. Slavery, human sacrifice etc.

Back in the days of slavery the breach wasn't so clear to people either and it was also a matter of how many people held the opinion that it was a breach of human rights. Even when slavery was abolished those who were once slaves were segregated and kept in poverty.

Changing public opinion on circumcision will take a generation or two as the practice wanes. I wish it could be banned from one day to the next but reality is it won't be and to do so will cause too much of a backlash at the moment (in the US)  :-\

The strongest most logical argument against the practice is that it is an unnecessary religious custom. It just so happens that that is also the weakest argument.

Actually, the argument is that it is an unnecessary medical procedure with no confirmed medical benefits and done without the patient's consent.

The most effective way to sway public opinion about the issue would be to target the people who don't have a strong opinion about the issue and show them videos of the procedure. Let them see the baby screaming and crying, let them see the blood and explain to them how unnecessary it really is. Then again, that is pretty much the same tactic anti abortion lobbies use. Is it right?

I don't remember anyone showing me a video of someone being raped, enslaved or stoned to death for me to understand just how horrible these things are... but I see your point.

I really don't see another effective way to sway public opinion regarding circumcision or at least to raise awareness to the issue.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #234 on: October 05, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »
Here's episode 8 of an all female podcast called Godless Bitches (sponsored by the Atheist Community of Austin) where they talk about circumcision and why it's wrong:

http://godlessbitches.podbean.com/2011/10/04/episode-18/

Note: The podcast is an hour and a half long.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.