Author Topic: I'm a Christian Open to Questions  (Read 32838 times)

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Re: I'm a Christian Open to Questions
« Reply #783 on: January 24, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
His is the tired tactic of demanding others do his homework for him, then ignoring their efforts, then--when others become irritated and bored with wasting their time with his willful ignorance--tries to pretend that his ignorance is the State of the Field.

--J.D.

Actually he has a lot of tired tactics. Don't expect much out of a conversation from him. This is the same person who claimed that he was perfectly all right in giving over a family of jews to the nazis, because he didn't want to tell a lie.

He has a long and documented history of punking out, and running away.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline BibleStudent

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-66
« Reply #784 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
His is the tired tactic of demanding others do his homework for him, then ignoring their efforts, then--when others become irritated and bored with wasting their time with his willful ignorance--tries to pretend that his ignorance is the State of the Field.

--J.D.

Actually he has a lot of tired tactics. Don't expect much out of a conversation from him. This is the same person who claimed that he was perfectly all right in giving over a family of jews to the nazis, because he didn't want to tell a lie.

I really don't need this crap. I will never understand why some of you are so intent on doing nothing more than taking jabs. I just don't get it. If I am that big of a bore and a poor source of conversation, then I will just "punk out." Ciao.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #785 on: January 24, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »
I really don't need this crap.

Of course you do, you need it.  It feeds your prejudice--the belief you can stand up and defend your willful ignorance.

I will never understand why some of you are so intent on doing nothing more than taking jabs.

Because you have do nothing more than . . . take jabs?

I just don't get it.

Shall I type more slowly?

If I am that big of a bore and a poor source of conversation, then I will just "punk out." Ciao.

Like a bloody opera singer!  Always making her "final performance!"

--T. "Uncle Tom" C. Rowley, Rumpole of the Bailey

--J.D.

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #786 on: January 24, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
If I am that big of a bore and a poor source of conversation, then I will just "punk out." Ciao.

Promise?
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #787 on: January 24, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
Awww, I was having fun.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #788 on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »

I really don't need this crap. I will never understand why some of you are so intent on doing nothing more than taking jabs. I just don't get it. If I am that big of a bore and a poor source of conversation, then I will just "punk out." Ciao.

Because you don't offer anything of use. You provide nothing that can't be tossed away with the slightest bit of actual thought invested into it.  Take the paper that you cited to PP. The fact that it talks about having a requirement of heat hotter than the sun would have given pause to most people before they started using that in an argument. Larissa has asked you to provide proof from actual scientists to back up your claims. You seem incapable of doing this, or of providing any information that requires more than a grade school level of education to be considered ridiculous. How are we supposed to react to you?

Come up with something that isn't the intellectual equivalent of scribbling on the wall of a mens room. Then maybe you'll actually be worth taking seriously. As it stands now, you're a waste of time, just as you were before.

However, as I predicted, you've opted to run off again. Just as you always have before. You could have stood up and actually been a man, presented some real thought-out arguments. However I know better than to expect this from you.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #789 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »
Like I said, BS, you have a long and well-documented history of this. You ran away from your debate with UP, you ran away from the thread where you were revealed to be the kind of monster who would turn people over to the nazis without guilt, you always run away, so stop trying to be a drama queen. No one is impressed.

Maybe, just maybe, this is why no one is interested in doing anything but taking jabs at you.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:35 PM »
^^^Too bad you cannot +1 posts in The Pit.

--J.D.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +250/-31
« Reply #791 on: January 24, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
http://trueorigin.org/helium02.asp

This addresses almost none of the problems identified in the document that it is supposedly intended to rebut.

This was the second rebuttal. I believe there was another one in-between. Let me look. You might be right.

Okay, I'm back. Sorry for the delay.
I cannot find the rebuttal. I will read the article, though, and provide a response.

He links to it in his first footnote.  Here is a copy-paste of the link:
http://trueorigin.org/henke_helium_archive2.asp
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #792 on: January 24, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
So . . . who wants to start the Who Chased Biblestudent Out And What Are We Prepared To Do To Get Him Back? thread?

What?

--J.D.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #793 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »
Not really much left to discuss because we’re going to disagree on the accuracy of the dating techniques ....

Now it is abundantly clear why BS attempted to dodge any discussion of dating techniques  :police: :laugh:

Theist dishonesty on display again .... where is the Holy Spook when it's needed.
Git mit uns

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #794 on: January 25, 2011, 01:34:58 AM »
Who Chased the Holy Spook Out And What Are We Prepared To Do To Get Him Back?  8)

--J.D.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #795 on: January 25, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »
Who Chased the Holy Spook Out And What Are We Prepared To Do To Get Him Back?  8)

--J.D.

BoF likes this

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #796 on: January 25, 2011, 03:01:30 AM »
 ;D

--J.D.

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • No one leaves the Nightosphere
« Reply #797 on: January 25, 2011, 03:16:04 AM »
So . . . who wants to start the Who Chased Biblestudent Out And What Are We Prepared To Do To Get Him Back? thread?

What?

--J.D.

-Puts on sunglasses- Bring it on.

Well, that was that, already gone? What a shame. I seriously was thinking he'd at the least keep going and try to give evidence, but the only time he did provide showed something that's impossible on Earth to achie- OH MY GOD, HE'S THE GUY THAT WROTE THE WHOLE "I'D GIVE THE JEWS UP TO THE NAZIS BECAUSE I'M TELLING THE TRUTH"? What a jerk!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:18:01 AM by LadyAmorosaLuckyDulce »

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #798 on: January 25, 2011, 03:20:47 AM »
Thing is, he did not want to debate, he wanted us to play in his sandbox--play according to his fallacious rules. 

So now he run home for, like, the second?  Third time?

--J.D.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #799 on: January 25, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Actually, you have no evidence that life ever came from non-life so whatever your starting point for evolution is hinges on the nature of what that abiogenesis event(s) consisted of. What is evolution's starting point ? Your answer, at this point, is I don't know and I don't care because all I need to do is claim that life came from non-life. Again, do you see the blind faith involved in your assertion and the inseparability of evolution with abiogenesis ?
Nice goalpost shifting, BS.   I am always amused when Christians act this way.  It's a great demonstration on how your belief is circumstantial.  And it's always hilarious when you demonstrate my point that abiogenesis is not the same as evolutionary theory and doesn't require it.  It is sad taht you find it necessary to lie about me.  Again, how can a Christian who is supposedly so against lying, lie so much? Is your immortal soul so worthless?  No, dear, my answer is not "I dont' know and I don't care". Evidence has convinced me that abiogenesis is the likely correct answer.  We don't know how yet, but that doesnt' automatically mean "goddidit" as you would have it. 
I showed you, it is observable.  I don't care what other opinions are. I have shown evidence.  That's what you should be looking at, yes?
In other words, there are different positions within the science of micro/macro evolution??....and it's open to interpretation and cherry picking (<-----the very thing you accused me of) ? That sounds like the same thing us Bible thumpers get clobbered for.
No, again, not in your other words.  Sad that we see more lies.  There are not differeing positions in how evolution moves forward in incremental steps, which end up in the species changes we see.  And unless you can show there is any cherry picking or interpretation, you again are a liar.  I dont' mind constantly demonstrating this. It does nothing but show how deceitful Christians are and how harmful religion is.  Please show your evidence.  I'm waiting.  But I see that you are again looking for a way to run away from my questions and requests for evidence.  I know you'll be back in a couple of months thinking that everyone has forgot about your ignorance and cowardice.  That's how it often is with Christians like you.  It's sad that there are indeed some decent people out there who also call themselves Christians.  I guess it goes to show that a title and supposed belief does nothing for behavior.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #800 on: January 25, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
Thing is, he did not want to debate, he wanted us to play in his sandbox--play according to his fallacious rules. 

So now he run home for, like, the second?  Third time?

--J.D.

Fourth or fifth, I think. Depending on whether you want to count the individual threads or just the times that he left for a while. This time he ran off after only a few hours.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:41:13 PM by Alzael »

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +102/-9
  • I am a Forum Guide.
« Reply #801 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
Alzael:
This is the same person who claimed that he was perfectly all right in giving over a family of jews to the nazis, because he didn't want to tell a lie.

Ah right. I remember the thread, but I'd forgotten that BS was the protagonist. (After a while, all these theists seem to merge into one, and I can't tell them apart).

On that occasion last September, Azdgari presented BS with the initial dilemma; Alzael, Truehyuga and I (and others) refined the conditions, but it fell to me to make the final formulation:

Are you still trying to say that informing on Jews to Nazis was not a crime and a sin?

Think, BS. This shouldn't be a difficult question. Most people understand that genocide is wrong, and that therefore collaborating in genocide is wrong.

BS, while you're considering your reply, bear in mind the implication of insisting that collaboration is not a sin.

If you believe this, you are truly lost. If you truly don't understand the immorality of informing on Jews to Nazis, then all your claims to an objective morality which you can apply to any situation to decide the right course of action are revealed to be totally hollow. Your 'objective morality' has led you into helping the Nazis achieve their evil purpose.

And the worst thing is, you don't even recognize that in so doing, you're being just as evil as they are.

To which BS replied (and I used this as a sig for a while):
Are you still trying to say that informing on Jews to Nazis was not a crime and a sin?
That is correct.

In his next post he withdrew from the thread for spurious reasons. My (our) accusations remained unanswered, and three days later he abandoned the forum - until his return five days ago, when he bounces back as if nothing had happened.

Pah. Or possibly, meh.

If anyone wants to skim that thead, start here on page 33 - Oneperson's question to BS, Lie, or let die?

BS exits on page 46.

Yes, I know. It took us thirteen pages to pin him down. But we did it.

So he runs away and comes back later as if nothing had happened.

So we do it all over again.

Does the name Sisyphus ring a bell?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:32:46 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #802 on: January 25, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Too bad I cannot +1 that.

It is funny: on ANOTHER FORUM I [Trolled--Ed.] mentioned my usual "What about the genocides?" question regarding the "Loving God the Bible," [Tm.--Ed.].  I received the usual "lies!" and the like then "ur taking it out of contexts!" . . . yadda . . . yadda . . . until finally my target claimed that it was "good" that children were slaughtered--since YHWH "must" be good.  Leave aside the passages where YHWH admits to doing evil!

I have seen that excuse a number of times: that it "must" be "good" since YHWH ordered it.  The comparisons to the Nazi is, of course, obvious.  In fact, the same rationalizations and pathetic apologies were made to justify slaughtering children.  For example: the person claimed that "YHWH knew" that the children would "grow up to be bad."  Yup, cannot let those Jewish children grow up to be adults, right?  Same sick rationalization.  Then there is the "well, they go to Heaven!"  Awesome.  Why did they have to die again?

[He pontificates on his past Internet triumphs for a few more pages.--Ed.]

Anyways, what I found--and continue to find--intriguing is I offer an "out."  In reality, the Conquest stories never happened--just as the Matthean "slaughter of the innocents" never happened.  Why would someone make up a genocide? 

Because that is what other nations did to you.  We do have records of victories over "Israel" which include devotion to destruction to the conqueror's deity.  Sort of like imagining Rambo and Chuck Norris [PBUH--Ed.] going off to win Vietnam, win Afghanistan, and--I do not know--beat the French again.  The stories of the Patriarchs-Conquest are just that--a mythic past.  One mark of a great nation/empire is to squish other people; to carry off their people into slavery and worse.  What is good in life Conan?

The "out" for believers is to accept that the stories are stories and move on.  Few take it for to admit there are "mere stories" in "the Bible" suggest much of the rest is similarly just that: "stories."  If the Bible is inerrant to you, than you have to justify all of the contradictions, nasty bits, and flat Earths!

[ZZZZZzzzZZZZZz--Ed.]

So why does a Biblestudent bother?  To feel a champion for his fairy tales.  Why do atheists troll Rapture Ready?  The negative reaction feels like validation: you have to be correct if what you say pisses off so many people, apparently.  However, that emotion can only take you so far.  At some point the contradictions pile up, so you have to go away and forget about them again.

--J.D.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #803 on: January 25, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
^^^^ The part that I remember most about the thread was spending all that time trying to explain to him why his attempts to prove an "objective" morality didn't work when the source of that morality is god.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +102/-9
  • I am a Forum Guide.
« Reply #804 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
Doc:
Too bad I cannot +1 that.
Thanks, Doc. Actually, some of my best work has been done in the Pit, and therefore doesn't garner the respect (points) which might otherwise accrue.

Look at my recent discussion with Davedave in the Pit: people have publicly expressed appreciation of my contributions; by PM, there has been encouragement and admiration; and I have privately received several offers of hot sex, no-strings-attached, in a hotel of my choice.

But has my Respect count gone up? No.

Life is sooo unfair.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:28:05 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #805 on: January 25, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
and I have privately received several offers of hot sex, no-strings-attached, in a hotel of my choice.

You mean Ray PM's you, too?  That two-timing no good....
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +102/-9
  • I am a Forum Guide.
« Reply #806 on: January 25, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
Actually, Ray's offer was with-ropes-attached. 

Sweet. He's such a romantic, but I declined.

Listen to me children: when temptation (or Ray) calls, "Just say Gnu." You know it makes sense.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:07:49 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #807 on: January 25, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »
*Must . . . not . . . make . . . joke about Jim's Mom . . . Must . . . not . . . make . . . joke about Jim's Mom . . .*

Life is sooo unfair.

--J.D.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #808 on: January 25, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »
You talk about my Momma, I'll break your skinny honky ass!
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #809 on: January 25, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
The whole abiogenesis vs evolution arguement sounds like to me:

Christian: You must fully understand how the universe began to understand physics.
Athiest: No you don't, they're 2 seperate things!
Christain: They're the same thing!!!!!1!!!111!!!!1!!1!

but that's just me.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +102/-9
  • I am a Forum Guide.
« Reply #810 on: January 25, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
Quote from: Doctor X

Quote from: Gnu Ordure

Life is sooo unfair.

Thanks, Doc.

Forget the hot sex. Or the Respect points. What I really needed was a yellow blob patting me, another yellow blob, on the head in commiseration.

And yet strangely, I'm touched. The good doctor, notwithstanding his onerous ongoing commitments, took the trouble to consult his enormous library of emoticons and select the most apt symbol of compassion, just for me. He didn't have to do that. He could have simply plucked from his memory an appropriate aphorism from Tennyson, Nietzsche or Seinfeld; but he went for the personal touch. Much appreciated, Doc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:42:07 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #811 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:49 AM »
Noblesse oblige.

--J.D.

P.S. Besides, it is not a "yellow blob patting another yellow blob on the head"--that is his back.

If I wanted to pat you on the head:

Moi----> <----Gnu Ordure
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:05:37 AM by Doctor X »