Author Topic: I'm a Christian Open to Questions  (Read 36846 times)

Offline JT812

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Proud Christian
I'm a Christian Open to Questions
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
I am a confessing believer in and follower of Jesus Christ and I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. I would really like to know what's your biggest questions/concerns/problems etc. with God, specifically the God of the Bible. I may not be able to answer everything you say or ask, but I would love to do what I can.

Some things you need to know:
1. I love to debate. If I seem like I'm getting heated it's not because I'm angry it's just because I get in a certain mode.  :) Please forgive me if I seem rude or angry.
2. If you're smart or sarcastic with me I'll probably be the same way back, not because I'm offended or angry, just because I love sarcasm.  :D
3. Please support your claims/views with either your logic or evidence. I can't refute or agree with claims which I don't understand or know why you've drawn them.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: I'm a Christian Open to Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
I don't believe that an imaginary sky daddy exist but if one did why does He hate amputees?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
My biggest question is not about your god but about how people can believe that stuff. Can't christians see that they are following a myth just the way the Dogon people of Africa and the hindu's of India and the new age pagans of today, and ancient greeks and romans with their plethora of gods. were or are following a myth? Can't you understand that each person who believes a myth is just like you, no matter which myth they believe.

Does your religion make you feel so good it must be true? Well so do other religions make other people feel good. Coincidence? I don't think so. Happy thoughts breed happy thoughts. But god stories don't breed gods.

Explain why your belief is so special.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »
Since you've directed discussion here:

If they were completely subjective across cultures, societies, and religions then they would just be morals. My argument is that there are morals that extend across all of humanity as a whole. A sense of right and wrong that everyone has. This is the moral law
How do you determine whether a moral law is right or wrong?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
I am a confessing believer in and follower of Jesus Christ and I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God.

I've asked this question many times, so I'll ask it of you.  I assume you don't believe that ALL the Bible is true, and to be followed to the literal meanings.  For example, you probably don't believe in death as punishment for working on the Sabbath, or stoning of disobedient children.  You probably don't really believe that the graves opened up after the resurrection and the holy dead men arose and appeared to many in the holy city, as in Matt 27:52-53. 

So how do you, a normal human being, take the inspired word of the Creator of the Universe, the Great I Am, the Alpha and the Omega, the god of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and decide which parts to believe and follow and which parts to disbelieve and reject? 

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline ksm

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
I am a confessing believer in and follower of Jesus Christ and I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. I would really like to know what's your biggest questions/concerns/problems etc. with God, specifically the God of the Bible. I may not be able to answer everything you say or ask, but I would love to do what I can.

Welcome.

Given that I strongly suspect that your gods do not exist I do not have any problems or concerns with them.

You don't stay awake at night wondering what Darth Vader is going to do next do you?

Offline Positiveaob

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
What differentiates your god (really godS if you're a christian) from any other gods throughout mankinds history?  Why should I believe in your god over any of the others?
If you desire peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you would be a disciple of truth, then inquire. - Neitzsche

Support the Military Religious Freedom Foundation!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »
Why did god himself(according to the bible) kill millions of people,just because he was unhappy?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
why did god have siblings?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
What differentiates your god (really godS if you're a christian) from any other gods throughout mankinds history?  Why should I believe in your god over any of the others?

This actually can be a very pointed question.

In short, I like to ask people what criteria they would use to deny the existence of OTHER religious figures, and if they are willing to use the same standard on their own.

As a simple example: Why don't you believe that Zeus is the King of the Gods, and sits atop Mt Olympus, with his pantheon?
Ultimately what you wind up with is a 'winnowing' of the apologia, anyplace where the same exact argument can be applied to more than one god or deity throw it out, and continue till you've reached the core of the argument and look at it rationally.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »

I just posted this somewhere else, but I can tell you one of the things that made the lightbulb go off in my head. It has to do with Deut 22:28-29.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+22:28-29&version=NIV
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Sorry to make this personal, but I don't see any other way. I was raped by my stepbrother. He didn't get caught and it's almost impossible to prove rape in a US court, so I didn't pursue legal action. I have PTSD from this. I was ashamed for many, many years, feeling that it was somehow my fault. I was extensively abused (physically, sexually, mentally... there was no part of me that remained okay after that). I *still* sometimes battle the idea that me being abused was my fault. I know it's not most of the time, but sometimes when I'm weak I get that little voice inside my head saying things like "He did this to you because you looked at him in a way he thought was an advance" or other bullshit like that. I was 5. I didn't know any better. This lasted till I was 14. He stole my innocence. I'm not talking about my virginity per se, I'm saying he stole my childhood. So excuse me if I get passionate about the subject of rape.

So, back to Deut. If a man rapes a woman and gets caught, he has to pay her dad some money and then he gets to marry her. They can never get divorced. My heart goes out to all the poor women who were subjected to this bullshit. In this verse, the so-called good and moral Christian god signs away the life of the woman. The poor woman now gets to be raped for the rest of her life. She has no out, God has spoken. How the hell does someone think that this is okay? It's one of the most disgusting things I have heard of in my life.
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
^^^ so rape is ok with biblegod as long as you pay off Daddy. Then the women gets victimized again having to marry the man that RAPED her,that is also OK with god.Larrissa sorry to hear about this

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
well JT?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
Wow.  He asked!

Why can't non-believers just die, as opposed to going to burn in Hell for all eternity?  I mean, what is the problem with just denying us access to the Kingdom?

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
God Dam Larissa238!!!!  I realize you are reletively new to this forum and I'm glad you're here, but we seem to learn something very, very deep and personal with you every other post!  I can't beleive you make up this stuff up but I'm almost surprised you haven't used turning to god as an excuse for your lifes many challeges.  Anyways, I didn't mean to go on a tangent but I'm glad you found this forum and feel comfortable in your own skin here!
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
^^^ so rape is ok with biblegod as long as you pay off Daddy. Then the women gets victimized again having to marry the man that RAPED her,that is also OK with god.Larrissa sorry to hear about this

Well, it's all contextual see.
If you base a womans value on the state of her hymen you get this sort of thing.
We still do it today to some degree.  We just call it a 'Dowry'. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowry

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »

Well, it's all contextual see.
If you base a womans value on the state of her hymen you get this sort of thing.
We still do it today to some degree.  We just call it a 'Dowry'. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowry
but this Dowry thing is more of a class system thing and less of a god thing....and according to the bible this behaviour is ok as long as someone with a penis gets paid

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
That's true, but it's a way of directly putting a dollar value on a womans 'intact' status, which ultimately is what the bible seems to be concerned about which is why I used it as an example.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
Ahh understood

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
1. What would happen if you stopped believing tomorrow?
2. Whatever your answer, why isn't it happening to me?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline JT812

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Proud Christian
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
Sorry, I'm not going to be able to respond as often as I'd like or as specifically as I like.

To Larissa concerning the verse in Deuteronomy about rape:
http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/ot_and_rape.htm
That verse is not actually referring to rape as the website will show. I'm really sorry for all that happened though.

The other big issue was why Christianity is right while other religions are wrong. This would take a very long time to discuss all the many reasons I believe this but here's a very simple answer (I can go into more detail if you'd like me to):
Let's say at least hypothetically that God does exist (I can argue scientifically why he must exist if you'd like but I won't do that this time). If there really is a God, then one religion must be right and the others must be wrong because they are all different in some way. And every other religion (unless there's one I don't know about) is based on works getting you into Heaven. Basically if you're a good person your whole life you go to Heaven/ reach enlightenment and if you're a bad person you go to Hell/ come back as a cockroach through reincarnation. Christianity is the only religion that offers the chance to get to Heaven through grace alone. And this is the only way that being allowed in Heaven makes sense. How good do you have to be to get into Heaven? How bad do you have to be to be sent to Hell? (Christianity is also the only religion I know of where people aren't sent to Hell by God; instead they are offered grace from Him) How can a holy and perfect God accept sinful/bad people into Heaven without a form of redemption? How can your works save you if they are the very thing that condemn you? Most importantly if works are the way into Heaven then every other religion in the world got it right but they all have different gods. So which god is the real god who judges works? But Christianity is the one religion that is different. It doesn't require you to have done enough good things to get into Heaven. It's based on grace. Also, another huge difference is that our God is alive. Justin Martyr (non-Christian extra-biblical author) wrote Dialogue with Trypho which said that the tomb of Jesus was empty, although he claimed the disciples had stolen the body. Other extra-biblical sources confirm that the tomb was empty. But how/why would the disciples steal the body? There were two Roman guards who knew they would die if the body was stolen and never claimed the disciples stole the body. Then the disciples were all killed for their beliefs (all but one who was boiled alive and then exiled). Why would the disciples die claiming in something that they themselves made up?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
Good post JT812, thank you.

Yes, it is good to take things and look at them from in a comparative way.  Your bible (assuming that you're a Christian) doesn't allow for 'just nice' people to get into heaven, the whole 'sacrifice of Jesus thing' either results in Universal Salvation, meaning that everybody get it equally or it's an extortion, meaning it wasn't much of a 'grace'.

I don't want to get you swamped in this thread like you are in the others, so I'll ask you a simple question: Is Hitler in Heaven, according to the criteria in your bible?

Offline sammylama

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Look at me and my bad self.
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »
Other extra-biblical sources confirm that the tomb was empty . . .

Whoa!  You know I just can't let this slide. 

Please, go into further detail on those "extra-biblical sources." 
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
--  Carl Sagan

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
This thread is a bad idea, IMO.  There is too much breadth of questions for one person to answer in any decent amount of time, and the thread will be way too confused for any of the questions to be investigated in any depth.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
what are the specific terms in which your god offers grace,what excludes you from grace specifically?

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
God Dam Larissa238!!!!  I realize you are reletively new to this forum and I'm glad you're here, but we seem to learn something very, very deep and personal with you every other post!  I can't beleive you make up this stuff up but I'm almost surprised you haven't used turning to god as an excuse for your lifes many challeges.  Anyways, I didn't mean to go on a tangent but I'm glad you found this forum and feel comfortable in your own skin here!

I made this thread just for you: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,17267.0.html
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
This thread is a bad idea, IMO.  There is too much breadth of questions for one person to answer in any decent amount of time, and the thread will be way too confused for any of the questions to be investigated in any depth.

I agree. 

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
Other extra-biblical sources confirm that the tomb was empty . . .

Whoa!  You know I just can't let this slide. 

Please, go into further detail on those "extra-biblical sources." 

That, and why God "must" exist, scientifically.

Although I echo some of the others in saying this is probably a very bad idea. This thread is going to be swamped so fast.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
I agree. Tomb empty. Scientifically god must exist. Quite a wide range. Separate threads, one on each, would be really really nice.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.