Author Topic: Religion [#517]  (Read 467 times)

Offline DL

Religion [#517]
« on: October 08, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »

Hi

I am assuming that you are an athiest and I totally agree with your videos and the brainwashed, delusional, papists and christians that press their religion onto the non-believers. Im only 15 and I've already decided on my religious beliefs, I am a Buddhism, if your against that its ok I dont believe in God at all. Buddhism to me is a way to relax and find inner peace. Unfortunatley I do go to a Catholic school and are forced to waste away my time listening to boring lectures and rallies of Priests talk about Jesus and "God's all knowing and all loving being" I often get into large debates with fellow classmates (& Teachers) about the existance of God and the knowledge of the Bible. I only have a couple of Questions to ask because I am a Big fan.

If your against Christianity, does that mean your against all forms of Religion? (including Buddhism)

Do you think the illusion of Religion helps the poor and hungry and unfortunate? or do you think it is the root of all evil?

If Christianity is a religion with so many flaws and fake myths, why does the mass population of our world, still believe in it? what are your opinions?

Just for the record these are my questions & not for an assignment, I would be very interested to hear your opinion Thank you!

[name]

Offline Sota

Re: Religion [#517]
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
Ah, Buddhism.  I wouldn't really call it a religion, but it is a very good way of life.  I got nothin' but love for Buddhists.

But yeah, religion is pretty much always a bad thing.  It would be cool if you joined the forum, I don't think we have many Buddhists.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
I did not create the videos, so I can only speak for myself.

Religion itself is not a problem.  As an atheist, I can pull from any religion and any religous book.  For example, I've read many religious texts and return to the Tao Te Ching occasionally.  I've also read Dyanetics (Scientology) and found it to be boring and content-free.  Then again, the Art of War is also a good book.

What I see as a problem is not religion but dogma and supernaturalism.  Unfortunately, the two often come along with most religions -- ruining the value they could have had.  Kinda like taking a cake and dropping it in a swamp.  The cake may still be food, but it's much less than it could be.

As for Buddhists, half of them treat Buddha as a deity and the other half of them treat Buddha as a wise teacher but not the pinnacle of what a human could be.  I agree with the later group.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »
If your against Christianity, does that mean your against all forms of Religion? (including Buddhism)

I'm not really against Christianity or any religion for that matter.  What I am against is when (insert religion here) infringes upon the safety, freedoms, or rights of other people. If a person wants to practice a religion and worship whatever god(s) that religion entails then that is okay with me.  What is not okay is when that person tries to force that religion on others or becomes violent or unaccepting of others. (other religion or no religion)

Do you think the illusion of Religion helps the poor and hungry and unfortunate? or do you think it is the root of all evil?

Religion can both be good and bad.  In cases of strife and anguish a religion may give a person hope to continue on.  However, religion can be taken too far and become dangerous. There are extremists in every religion.  The most unforgiving and extreme are certain sects of Islam.

If Christianity is a religion with so many flaws and fake myths, why does the mass population of our world, still believe in it? what are your opinions?

Delusional whims and wants I guess.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.