Author Topic: Critical thinking- DANGER- Proceeding could be hazardous to your position.[#510]  (Read 570 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
I found your Youtube religious video very interesting and quite arrogant.

Not assuming you even care, here are my comments and questions:

First, that you think that the only ones who can critically think are college educated.
Secondly, that you presume you have set up the situation accurately, and thirdly, that
you presume that those who might differ in your view have to "come up with some rational
explanation for God".

You are not correct to think that rational and critical thought is exclusive to the
college educated.  Is  critical thinking the process used in the decision to get
excessively drunk on most college weekends or to expose ones private parts to "girls gone
wild" cameras, Certainly those folks came up with "some rational explanation" why it made
sense.   Most of the college educated people I know admit to having done one or both of
those things, or close to it.  Please don't use a college education as your foundation.
It is not a very firm one.  I can totally destroy the superiority of a college education,
using the very premise of a college education.  Strike One!  (and no, I will not tell you
if I have one or not- to do so would dilute my point).

Your questions are flawed.  God did heal an amputee!  The suggestion that he cannot shows
our ignorance of the facts.  God does not ask us to "eat his body and drink his blood".   
Again, you have your facts wrong.  Just because some have suggested that it is the case
,does not make it so.  Read the text and show where Jesus cut himself and had the
disciples literally eat and drink his body, and your question becomes a valid one, but
until you can do that, it is not valid because it is simply based on your  expository
understanding of a Roman Catholic teaching and not on scripture. Strike two!

Finally, if God is who he says he is, then it is not our rationalization that matters,
but His.  Using a line from Bill Cosby "I brought you into this world, and I can take you
out, and make another one just like you"  I simple reading of Ecclesiates chapter 1,
would reveal that the things of this world do not really matter in light of the sum of
His eternity.  With a detailed understanding of the facts of Genesis chapters 1-11,
together with the plan of God told to Abraham in Genesis 12, topped off with an
understanding of the hope contained in the book of Revelation, a critically thinking
person could only conclude that God is who he says he is, and the whole story make total
sense.   You have shown that you do not have this detailed understanding. Strike Three

You want people what you believe!  Often a claim I have been charged with.  I don't want
that.  I want people to believe in the truth- a truth they discover by not assuming they
know what the Bible says, but by truly knowing what it says, and does not say.  Jesus
says that He is the way the truth and the life.  If he is, than does His life account
bare it out?  Every major religion describes Jesus as a good man, a prophet, or more.  I
say he either is who he says he is, or he is a liar!  Jesus either died on the cross and
rose three days later, or not!

Here is a couple question I would like you to answer.  Please don't take off your
critical thinking cap!

QUESTION- Since there are non-bible accounts of Christ's death on a cross, and few
dispute that, then why would so many people who say they saw him alive again, be willing
to die horrible deaths for a belief in someone who did not rise from the dead.  Using
your way of editorializing inside your question,  I will add that those who would not
imagine there is a god would have to come up with a rationalization for their
god-themselves.  No God, no absolute moral authority- I don't get judged on bad behavior.

QUESTION- Where does morality come from?  Please be forewarned, you may expose your
motivation for this website in your answer.

QUESTION-  Did you ever get drunk in college?  How was class the next day? Bet you were
"thinkin" then!

I  deal with critical thinking people every day.  I would love to have you meet them.
They could explain better than I what God can do to an addiction thet came along with all
the Jobs, Titles, Diplomas, Citation, and Awards they acquired.  Deadly smart people who
could smoke us all with rational thought, hiding behind the vail of homelessness and
oddity.  Bill, a CAL-Berkley Grad who I met because he was very vocal about my presence
on the streets of Berkley.  He did not really disagree with me, he just wanted to know if
I was for real.  I guess he was convinced that I might be, because he pulled down his
hood to show himself to me.  What I saw was a transformation.  He was hiding in his
outrageousness.  He likely knows more than even I do about the scriptures I hold dear,
but until he is comfortable enough to tell me why he hides, I just love the guy.  Because
I am better off? no way! I love him because I know God loves him.  I love him with God's
 love and not mine.

Left to my own rational, believing that there is no god, that I die and that is it, I
would not care about Bill, I would just break down your door and beat your stupid face
in.  I would steal whatever crap you have that I would want, and do it just because I
wanted to.  I would live my life to the max, not caring what you or anyone else thinks, I
would fuck anything that I wanted to, and laugh while I did it.  I would go for all the
gusto, and JUST DO IT!  Actually, I would likely leave you alone.  You probably don't own
much, have very little in the bank, owe more than you can payoff in a year, and
masturbate to the internet, All this in your pitiful ordinary life.  Where does OPRAH
live?

I would get all I could get and have as much fun as I could have and go out in a Bonnie
and Clyde style!  Because it makes more sense than what most people do.  Work 40 hours a
week for 40 years, retire and wait until they die. THE END!    Please tell me how that is
better to God's REAL Plan!  You know the plan don't you.  The REAL and COMPLETE God Plan!

NOTE: I bet my buddy that I would not get a response.  He says I will, but it will not be
rational.  There are two ways I can win, do you what they are?  I would rather win on the
second one, because it will be the toughest for you to do.  C'mon guys, don't let me down.

[Name]- (just a guy who challenges irrational arrogance)

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
There are two ways I can win, do you what they are? 

Wait, wait, i can do this.... hold on.... is one of the ways that you will "win" is if i am able to guess what word you left out of that question?

I'm guessing that the word "know" was supposed to be between "you" and "what"; which would make it the fourth word from the question mark instead of "you", making "you" the fifth word from the end. What does your buddy have to give you now? A fiver?

As to your arguments and logic, i'll take you on almost any day and on any subject. Join the forum and we'll have at it.

By the way, you might want to read up on which one of us has the burden of proof, here. (I'll give you a hint, it's the claimant, and i don't claim that god doesn't exist, just that there's not enough evidence for a reasonable person to believe he exists.) Though it's kind of screwed up because this site does claim that god is imaginary and doesn't exist so it's weird having to "correct" that faux pas of Marshal's all the time.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Arrogant?  You say that about us, and then say you know the mind and motivations of a god.  Arrogant indeed!

BTW.  My associate, Vynn, offered to discuss things with you.  I extend the same offer.  I admit I am not as competent on the text of your holly book as Vynn, but in most other regards I promise you a thoughtful challenge -- if you can leave dogmatic stiffness at home.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Interesting response.
As pointed out by an earlier post, I find the "arrogant" charge a bit ironic. But let's get to a few points in your message.

Your questions are flawed.  God did heal an amputee!  The suggestion that he cannot shows
our ignorance of the facts.

When did god heal an amputee? A link to a well-documented case would be fine. I'm assuming it'll be a link to a reputable news organization that covered such a monumental event.

God does not ask us to "eat his body and drink his blood".   
Again, you have your facts wrong.  Just because some have suggested that it is the case
,does not make it so.  Read the text and show where Jesus cut himself and had the
disciples literally eat and drink his body, and your question becomes a valid one, but
until you can do that, it is not valid because it is simply based on your  expository
understanding of a Roman Catholic teaching and not on scripture.

Actually, that point was brought up to reference the early history of Christianity. Eating the body and drinking the blood is a pagan thing that Christianity incorporated to...ah, well, I'm not going to get into it. The point of the question, I believe, it to get the viewer thinking about the origin of Christianity to show how it evolved - and why it isn't so special. I'm sorry you missed this point.

Finally, if God is who he says he is, then it is not our rationalization that matters,
but His.  Using a line from Bill Cosby "I brought you into this world, and I can take you
out, and make another one just like you"  I simple reading of Ecclesiates chapter 1,
would reveal that the things of this world do not really matter in light of the sum of
His eternity.  With a detailed understanding of the facts of Genesis chapters 1-11,
understanding of the hope contained in the book of Revelation, a critically thinking
person could only conclude that God is who he says he is, and the whole story make total
sense.   You have shown that you do not have this detailed understanding. Strike Three

I will assume you have this "detailed understanding." Why don't you come enlighten the rest of us?

Every major religion describes Jesus as a good man, a prophet, or more.

Erm, perhaps because they built upon each other?

QUESTION- Since there are non-bible accounts of Christ's death on a cross, and few
dispute that, then why would so many people who say they saw him alive again, be willing
to die horrible deaths for a belief in someone who did not rise from the dead. 

Why were people willing to give up their lives for Heaven's Gate?

QUESTION- Where does morality come from?  Please be forewarned, you may expose your

It evolved.

QUESTION-  Did you ever get drunk in college?  How was class the next day? Bet you were
"thinkin" then!

No, I never got drunk in college.

Left to my own rational, believing that there is no god, that I die and that is it, I
would not care about Bill, I would just break down your door and beat your stupid face
in.  I would steal whatever crap you have that I would want, and do it just because I
wanted to.  I would live my life to the max, not caring what you or anyone else thinks, I
would f**k anything that I wanted to, and laugh while I did it.  I would go for all the
gusto, and JUST DO IT!  Actually, I would likely leave you alone.  You probably don't own
masturbate to the internet, All this in your pitiful ordinary life.  Where does OPRAH
live?

...Actually, that just makes you a terrible person. If you seriously believe that if a god didn't exist you'd be beating people's faces in, you've got bigger problems than you think. In fact, I don't believe that you would actually be beating people's faces in. You're overexaggerating, though you may not even realize it.

I would get all I could get and have as much fun as I could have and go out in a Bonnie
and Clyde style!  Because it makes more sense than what most people do.  Work 40 hours a
week for 40 years, retire and wait until they die. THE END!    Please tell me how that is
better to God's REAL Plan!  You know the plan don't you.  The REAL and COMPLETE God Plan!

First of all, there is no plan, so I'm not really sure what you expect to compare "God's REAL Plan" to. In fact, "God's REAL Plan" is no better than the plan of the man who sits home and does absolutely nothing for his entire life. Life is what you make of it. Your plan is no better than any other plan.

I also find it interesting that you believe you have so much insight into the will of a divine being. People have been arguing over such a thing for ages, and boy aren't we lucky to hear from the guy who knows it all.

Christian humility for you, I guess.

NOTE: I bet my buddy that I would not get a response.  He says I will, but it will not be
rational.  There are two ways I can win, do you what they are?  I would rather win on the
second one, because it will be the toughest for you to do.  C'mon guys, don't let me down.

*Shrug* Join the forum and have a discussion here. There are plenty of people here who are willing to talk to you.

And who displays it in turn, I suppose.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
Well said Ashe!
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
Since no-one has picked up on this:

First, that you think that the only ones who can critically think are college educated. {...}

You are not correct to think that rational and critical thought is exclusive to the
college educated.  Is  critical thinking the process used in the decision to get
excessively drunk on most college weekends or to expose ones private parts to "girls gone
wild" cameras, Certainly those folks came up with "some rational explanation" why it made
sense.   Most of the college educated people I know admit to having done one or both of
those things, or close to it.  Please don't use a college education as your foundation.
It is not a very firm one.  I can totally destroy the superiority of a college education,
using the very premise of a college education.  Strike One!  (and no, I will not tell you
if I have one or not- to do so would dilute my point).

One second. Whose assumption is this - that of the author of the video, or yours?

As I recall, the video says something along the lines of "if you have a college education, then you ought to have a grounding in critical thinking". (I don't have access to it at work, so I don't remember the exact words.) That is not an exclusive statement, in the same way as saying that "if you are a mammal, you should have a spine" does not entail "if you are not a mammal, then you should not have a spine". This, my friend, is Logic 101: "If A, then B" does not entail "If not A, then not B". So right from the outset, you epically fail to exercise those very same critical thinking skills, and demonstrate this by means of an invalid argument. Whoops! "Strike one," as you so succinctly put it.
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
Yep.  I picked up on that. 

Of course, the letter writer could show that this mistake was one made from a point of view clouded by passion and that they do indeed have the ability to think critically and rationally.  How could they do that?  By showing up and showing that they are capable of being rational.

Offline Freak

Since there are non-bible accounts of Christ's death on a cross, and few
dispute that, then...

Not only do I dispute that there are non-bible accounts of Christ's death on a cross, I dispute that there are but few who dispute it, and I further dispute that Christ even existed. Now you're up shit creek and you have to go back to the beginning and actually base your claims in fact. Have fun.
When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
"thinkin" then!
Not bad at all.  You simply need to be smart enough to know how to prepare yourself when you intend to get drunk.
I  deal with critical thinking people every day.  I would love to have you meet them.
They could explain better than I what God can do to an addiction thet came along with all
the Jobs, Titles, Diplomas, Citation, and Awards they acquired.  Deadly smart people who
could smoke us all with rational thought, hiding behind the vail of homelessness and
oddity.  Bill, a CAL-Berkley Grad who I met because he was very vocal about my presence
on the streets of Berkley.  He did not really disagree with me, he just wanted to know if
I was for real.  I guess he was convinced that I might be, because he pulled down his
hood to show himself to me.  What I saw was a transformation.  He was hiding in his
outrageousness.  He likely knows more than even I do about the scriptures I hold dear,
but until he is comfortable enough to tell me why he hides, I just love the guy.  Because
I am better off? no way! I love him because I know God loves him.  I love him with God's
 love and not mine.
Just how are you corollating addiction to intelligence?  Please show the method and how you came to your results. 
would f**k anything that I wanted to, and laugh while I did it.  I would go for all the
live?
IF you'd be a maniac without your invisible friend, by all means keep it.  However, understand that there are those of us who are empathic to our fellow man without that and would *not* attack someone for no reason.  I do find it amusing that you must console yourself by creating a strawman that is poor.  Let me kick that down for you by sayign that I am comfortably wealthy, and enjoy my life to the fullest.
Ah, let me guess. you really really know God's real plan.  So, what is it and why do other Christians disagree with you? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline L6

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ignostic
First, that you think that the only ones who can critically think are college educated.
Sour grapes.

Secondly, that you presume you have set up the situation accurately,
Ok.

and thirdly, that you presume that those who might differ in your view have to "come up with some rational
explanation for God".
I fail to see how an irrational explanation could be considered an improvement.

I can totally destroy the superiority of a college education, using the very premise of a college education.
Fallacy of Association.

Your questions are flawed.  God did heal an amputee!  The suggestion that he cannot shows our ignorance of the facts.
How can a question be flawed and have an answer at the same time? In any case, do you have any substantial evidence to back up your "fact"? Please, don't keep my non-partying, college-educated self in the dark.

I think this is a weak argument as well. However, since you are ignoring Catholicism for not being True Christianity (tm), perhaps you can address why these other words and phrases, not covered in scripture, may or may not be part of True Christianity (tm):

Trinity, Rapture, Second Coming, Original Sin, Omniscience, Omnipresence, Supernatural, Transcendence, Afterlife, Deity, Divinity, Theology, Monotheism, Missionary, Immaculate Conception, Christmas, Christianity, Evangelical, Fundamentalist, Methodist, Catholic, Pope, Cardinal, Catechism, Purgatory, Penance, Transubstantiation, Excommunication, Dogma, Chastity, Unpardonable Sin, Infallibility, Inerrancy, Incarnation, Epiphany, Sermon, Sermon on the Mount, Triumphal Entry, Palm Sunday, Last Supper, Eucharist, the Llord's Prayer, Good Friday, Doubting Thomas, Advent, Sunday School, Dead Sea, Golden Rule, Moral, Morality, Ethics, Patriotism, Education, Atheism, Apostasy, Conservative, Capital Punishment, Monogamy, Abortion, Pornography, Homosexual, Lesbian, Fairness, Logic, Republic, Democracy, Capitalism, Funeral, Decalogue, Bible.

but His. 
That sounds like a "rational explanation for Yahweh" to me. In any case, if Yahweh is who he says he is, who would he rationalize to and for what purpose? It's not like he would have to answer to himself.

Using a line from Bill Cosby "I brought you into this world, and I can take you
out, and make another one just like you" 
Cosby also said life was like a jello-pudding pop.

I simple reading of Ecclesiates chapter 1, would reveal that the things of this world do not really matter in light of the sum of His eternity. 
And believers claim that atheists are nihilistic!

With a detailed understanding of the facts of Genesis chapters 1-11,
Stop right there. You really do lack a college education.

dispute that,
There is not. If you have some, present them. Next.

Empathy, reason, and social contract. Next.

"thinkin" then!
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but for the record, I have more than a college education and I don't drink. So much for your ad hominem fallacy. Next.

I  deal with critical thinking people every day. 
Yeah I bet they just love you.

I would love to have you meet them. They could explain better than I what God can do to an addiction thet came along with all the Jobs, Titles, Diplomas, Citation, and Awards they acquired.  Deadly smart people who
could smoke us all with rational thought, hiding behind the vail of homelessness and oddity. 
You aren't making any sense.

in. 
If you lack the empathy, reason, and social sense to not beat my face in without Yahweh's imaginary influence reigning you in, then by all means, continue to believe, you sad, smug, willfully-ignorant, self-loathing creature.

Where does OPRAH live?
About four blocks away from me. So much for another weak ad hominem.

Work 40 hours a week for 40 years, retire and wait until they die. THE END! 
Enjoying relationships with other people is the meaning of life. If some people need to work 40 hours a week to enable them to do that, that's what they do. If others need to believe in an imaginary sky daddy to enable them to do that, that's what they do.
Edit: Most people do both.

rational.  There are two ways I can win, do you what they are? 
A response is guaranteed, but a rational response is more than you deserve.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:25:29 PM by L6 »
God's existence is contingent upon the illusion that morality is dictated by religious authority.

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
It doesn't take a college degree for people to think critically!  You just have to exercise your brain a little.

Secondly, that you presume you have set up the situation accurately
Ok.

and thirdly, that
you presume that those who might differ in your view have to "come up with some rational
explanation for God".
Not true.  We all are entitled to our own opinions.  Noone has to come up with rational explanations for God.  And if they did come up with some rational explanations maybe I might just listen to them.

college educated.
I don't think he said that.  You are misunderstanding as far as I am aware.

I can totally destroy the superiority of a college education,
using the very premise of a college education.
I've yet to see that.

our ignorance of the facts.
How are the questions flawed exactly?  God healed an amputee?  Where?!?  Present some evidence and not hearsay.  What facts show that God heals amputees?  That it says that you can be healed in the bible?

understanding of a Roman Catholic teaching and not on scripture. Strike two!
Early pagan religions weren't treating that message as a metaphor.  And even if it were only a metaphor, it still just sounds way too weird.  The reason why the bible includes this weird ritual is because it was a way to win more converts.  It's the snowball effect where if you want your religion to convert more people you have to meet them half way by including some of their favorite past-times.

but His.
That's a disturbingly weak argument that is basically justifying Yahweh.

I simple reading of Ecclesiates chapter 1,
His eternity.
So Earth is basically a Training or Noob Area that you start out at?  Many people of different religions think that and waste their whole entire life worried about getting into heaven and doing what will please their master.  Their whole lives revolve around this.

With a detailed understanding of the facts of Genesis chapters 1-11,
What would a critically thinking person have to say about all of God/Jesus's contradictions and how God had the ultimate makeover after the Old Testament?  A God that never changes clearly changed.  Maybe you don't have the detailed understanding of all the problems in the bible and how it just doesn't make sense if you read all of it.

You want people what you believe!  Often a claim I have been charged with.  I don't want
that.  I want people to believe in the truth- a truth they discover by not assuming they
know what the Bible says, but by truly knowing what it says, and does not say.
I assume you meant "You want people to believe what you believe".  Well yes just like how you want people to believe what you believe.  But the fact is, people are going to believe whatever they like.  All the author is doing is expressing his opinions, just like how Christians do that.  I think the author knows a lot about the bible.  I've read it and examined what he said and I think it is true.  Are you so sure you truly know what it says?

Jesus
says that He is the way the truth and the life.  If he is, than does His life account
bare it out?  Every major religion describes Jesus as a good man, a prophet, or more.  I
say he either is who he says he is, or he is a liar!  Jesus either died on the cross and
rose three days later, or not!
Just because the bible says Jesus did certain things does not guarantee he really did.  Personally, I think it's logical that Jesus existed but his stories got exaggerated by authors that wrote the stories down years later.  And like Ashe said, religions build off each others teachings.  And these teachings may not always be accurate.  It's kind of like gossip.  Each time a person tells another person a story, it tends to be a little different.  Just imagine how a story can evolve over time as people have their own interpretations and will say whatever suits their purposes as well as simple misunderstandings and language conflicts.

to die horrible deaths for a belief in someone who did not rise from the dead.
Have you ever considered other religions have members that are just as compassionate about what they believe or more?  And Heaven's Gate is a good example like Ashe said.

Empathy, reason, and social contract like L6 said.

"thinkin" then!
I can't answer that, I never went to college or been drunk.  It's up to the individual.

oddity.
If you deal with critical thinking people everyday then you should have better arguments.

gusto, and JUST DO IT!
You can't be serious!  So if you can't have eternal life and a master to worship you will just have to go kill people and steal their shit?  If that is actually true then you should be taken in for an evaluation.  It doesn't take a God to care about people and do nice things for others.

Actually, I would likely leave you alone.  You probably don't own
masturbate to the internet, All this in your pitiful ordinary life.
Wow, what an insightful assumption of this site's author.  Who by the way, started howstuffworks.com.
And really that doesn't matter.  Just because a guy makes money doesn't mean he's a genius, it means he makes money.

Where does OPRAH
live?
Where does anyone live?  Who cares.

Life is what you make of it.  So many people disagree on God's Plan, please fill me in on what his Plan truly is.

rational.
Well you got plenty of responses.  I'm sure though that you were expecting the author of those videos and this site to respond.  And I have seen plenty of rational responses so far.

There are two ways I can win, do you what they are?  I would rather win on the
I hope we aren't letting you down.  You can continue to believe whatever you like and whatever suits your purposes.  And while I am an Agnostic Atheist which means I don't know for sure there are no Gods but I don't believe there are any, I am always willing to listen if someone can speak rationally.  Personally I believe that if God exists and he created everything then logic and reasoning would be necessary and important.

Quite the contrary.