Author Topic: Darwins  (Read 328 times)

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Darwins
« on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »
I don't seem to be able to use the karma function.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Darwins
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
You need at least 50 posts, IIRC, before being able to do so.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »
Close, then.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
I have 143 (now 144) and can't use Darwins.

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
I have 143 (now 144) and can't use Darwins.

E.

If you see the buttons, you can. There are just certain boards where you can't give +1's or -1's, and this may be one of them. Try in the GRD. If you are still unable to use them, contact an admin.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:03 AM »
Mine has actually been kind of wonky lately. Mostly it's been working, but a few times when I've tried, it's come up with an error message telling me to try logging out, then logging back on. I forget how it's worded exactly.

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:05:58 AM »
Newbie here, made 2 posts and already getting negative karma. Unjustly IMO.
The reason listed was "getting tired on necros".
Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that I revived a 2-year old thread.

But here's the reason: I had no choice.
As a newbie, I'm not allowed to start new threads and this particular thread is EXACTLY the topic I wanted to ask about. Thus, other than it's age, it was an entirely appropriate thread for me to post in.
And looking around at the forum, every other thread I'm interested in contributing to is also inactive for 3 months or longer. WTF?
So you're going to punish a brand new member for constructively contributing to your forum just because the forum is presently too inactive to have enough currently active threads?
How does that make any sense?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
But here's the reason: I had no choice.
<snip>

...Aside from following the rules that you agreed to upon registering, making three posts, then creating your own thread. This is your third post, a mere twelve hours from your first one. Are you honestly saying that what you had to say couldn't wait twelve hours and, say, thirty minutes (for you to write and check your post, which seems fairly extensive) before you said it? Was it really so important that you couldn't just write it on Notepad or whatever and post it when you would have been able to (now)?
Also, the guy who smited you is (by his own admission) an asshole. So there's that.

EDIT:
So you're going to punish a brand new member for constructively contributing to your forum just because the forum is presently too inactive to have enough currently active threads?
How does that make any sense?

It makes sense because you're wrong. The forum is fairly active. During the ~6 hours I slept, about eight threads had several new posts. And those were just the ones I was following. About six more had new posts as well.
The fact that you can't find a thread similar to the one you want to participate in is no excuse for not following the rules. Learn some patience. Learn to wait.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:14:31 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
Or, find a couple of active threads in which you have any sort of interest at all, post an opinion, and you are basically there (someone would no doubt welcome you, and you could thank them, for example, making up your third post). Is there, really, only one topic in this entire forum which interests you enough to comment on? If so, then unless you plan on spending your entire time here harping on one thing (which both you and other members here would probably tire of fairly quickly), then joining might not be particularly worthwhile for you in any case.

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »
...Aside from following the rules that you agreed to upon registering...The fact that you can't find a thread similar to the one you want to participate in is no excuse for not following the rules.

But there's nothing in the official rules (http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,21732.0.html) about reviving old threads.
In "User’s Guide to Posting on WWGHA", there is a request to "Please do not revive inactive threads", but it is not an official rule.
It's a pet peeve that some have, and it's usually discouraged in most forums (which is why I included the disclaimer at the top of my post), but it ain't in the rules.

BTW, why does reviving an old thread bother anyone in the first place? On the great list of things worth getting upset over, "reviving an inactive thread" would be way, way down at the bottom. While there certainly are times when there's no reason to bump an old thread, much of the time it is far more appropriate to post in an older thread rather than clutter a forum with a redundant new one.
Why split up a discussion into multiple threads when you can keep it all together in one?

And often I've found in other forums that if you start a new thread on that same topic, some anal-retentive member will get upset at you for not using the search function to find and comment on that existing thread.
So you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

making three posts, then creating your own thread. This is your third post, a mere twelve hours from your first one. Are you honestly saying that what you had to say couldn't wait twelve hours and, say, thirty minutes (for you to write and check your post, which seems fairly extensive) before you said it? Was it really so important that you couldn't just write it on Notepad or whatever and post it when you would have been able to (now)?

Think about what you're saying here: You're encouraging new members to waste their and everybody's time by posting useless fluff/filler comments on current threads they may not even be interested in instead of just innocently reviving a thread they are interested in.
Do you really want to water down your forum that way?

I understand why you have the 3-posts-before-starting-new-threads rule. What I don't understand is why anyone would then get their panties in a twist over reviving an old thread.

Also, the guy who smited you is (by his own admission) an asshole. So there's that.

The world has too many assholes already. Particularly when you're an atheist who has to deal with hostility from Xian assholes all the time. So it's really demoralizing when your fellow atheists, who should be allies, are assholes to you as well.

you're wrong. The forum is fairly active. During the ~6 hours I slept, about eight threads had several new posts. And those were just the ones I was following. About six more had new posts as well.

Look at the entire "Groups, Events, & Activism" section.
Other than me, nobody has posted there since April. But that is the section I'm primarily interested in participating in.
I've been a fan of this website for years and have promoted it to others. But most of the conversations in the forum are not ones that I have anything substantive to add to. And I'm far too busy elsewhere to use this as just a casual hangout for shooting the breeze, cracking jokes, etc.
However, I do have ideas on atheist activism I'd like to discuss. Does anyone else?

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »
And often I've found in other forums that if you start a new thread on that same topic, some anal-retentive member will get upset at you for not using the search function to find and comment on that existing thread.

So you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Yeah - welcome to the Internet.  The standards of acceptance vary wildly among different groups of people.  And you're in a place that essentially has everyone in it.  So, yes, no matter what you do, you're very likely to be worthy of damnation in someone's eyes.

The world has too many assholes already. Particularly when you're an atheist who has to deal with hostility from Xian assholes all the time. So it's really demoralizing when your fellow atheists, who should be allies, are assholes to you as well.

I wouldn't take it that way.

Take it as a tacit reminder that the only thing necessary for a person to be an asshole is to exhibit asshole-ish behavior.  Color/race/creed-independent.  So it can be a sobering reminder that just being Christian doesn't automagically make one an ass, and just because someone shares one facet of a particular worldview that you hold doesn't necessarily mean they share a whole more.

But hey - you broke your smite-cherry early.  Took me a little bit before I earned my first smite.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +558/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »
Personally, if a person cannot give Darwins, they should not be able to receive them either.  The fact of the matter is that newbie posters tend to make mistakes and do stupid things, and as such should be temporarily excluded from the Darwin system entirely.  Yes, that means that people can't reward them with positive Darwins...but the people who seem to think it's their responsibility to punish errant forum behavior have made that necessary,

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
That's probably a good idea. If a newbie post is really good, it's always possible to go back and give it a +1 later on. And if the person ends up being a real asshat, they will garner plenty of deserved Darwins after the "trial period" is over. If a post is truly brilliant or heinous, comments on it are almost as easy as Darwins.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
While I understand your ire, AndrewR9, and agree that the necro thing was uncalled for, it is a bit unrealistic to expect an Internet forum, run and used by complete strangers, to meet your every standard from the get-go. And if you've been following the forum for several years and just now got impatient about posting, you're probably doing it wrong, so to speak.

Don't take either the plus or minus darwins too seriously. They are fairly useless, feedback-wise. I've poured my heart out on posts, putting a lot of effort in to saying something pertinent, and gotten no darwins when I actually expected a few. Then I make a flippant wise-crack that actually embarrasses me in hindsight and I get five darwins or something.  There will never be any rhyme nor reason for them. Don't get too excited about them.

You've got enough posts to start a thread. Take a deep breathe, forget about the rocky start, and try again.

Oh yes, and welcome.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
I'll only address parts of your post, as the others addressed the rest.

BTW, why does reviving an old thread bother anyone in the first place? On the great list of things worth getting upset over, "reviving an inactive thread" would be way, way down at the bottom.

An old thread has a much lower likelihood of having anyone who posted in it still giving a shit, or even still being around in the first place. Creating a new thread ensures that this doesn't happen. It's also a matter of civility.

Look at the entire "Groups, Events, & Activism" section.
Other than me, nobody has posted there since April. But that is the section I'm primarily interested in participating in.

Then, and I'm sorry for being so blunt, but, tough shit. Learn to wait. Wait until you can make threads. Make a new thread. Problem solved.

However, I do have ideas on atheist activism I'd like to discuss. Does anyone else?

Maybe. Who knows? You could have found out with a higher degree of certainty if you had made your own thread.
We choose our own gods.

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
An old thread has a much lower likelihood of having anyone who posted in it still giving a shit, or even still being around in the first place.

So? Maybe one wants to discuss the topic with those who are still around. And reviving the older thread allows members to see what opinions have already been shared on the subject.

It's also a matter of civility.

How does it have anything to do with civility? You seem to be operating off the assumption that reviving an old thread is inherently uncivil. But no one has explained what is so horribly, pearl-clutchingly, offensive about it.

Then, and I'm sorry for being so blunt, but, tough shit. Learn to wait. Wait until you can make threads. Make a new thread. Problem solved.

Since you missed it the first time, I'll repeat:
Think about what you're saying here: You're encouraging new members to waste their and everybody's time by posting useless fluff/filler comments on current threads they may not even be interested in instead of just innocently reviving a thread they are interested in.

Maybe. Who knows? You could have found out with a higher degree of certainty if you had made your own thread.

So are you saying that no one is going to read or respond to my comment in the "Flyer posting, pamphlet handouts" thread because it's committing the unpardonable sin of, gasp!, shudder!, ..."reviving an old thread"?
And, therefore, I should just copy/paste that entire comment into a brand new (and redundant ) thread?

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »
And if you've been following the forum for several years and just now got impatient about posting, you're probably doing it wrong,

I said I was a fan of the website, not the forum. I visited the website many times over the years, but only recently looked at the forum.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »
So? Maybe one wants to discuss the topic with those who are still around.

Assuming they're still around and give a shit about the subject.

And reviving the older thread allows members to see what opinions have already been shared on the subject.

By members whose opinions can't be challenged by anyone without that someone looking like an idiot.

How does it have anything to do with civility? You seem to be operating off the assumption that reviving an old thread is inherently uncivil. But no one has explained what is so horribly, pearl-clutchingly, offensive about it.

Uh... Attacking other people's opinions when they can't defend themselves? Kinda like beating a dead horse, only the horse is very much alive, but gone, and you're just beating the horse's footprints.

Since you missed it the first time, I'll repeat:

Take it up with the admins. I don't make the rules.

So are you saying that no one is going to read or respond to my comment in the "Flyer posting, pamphlet handouts" thread because it's committing the unpardonable sin of, gasp!, shudder!, ..."reviving an old thread"?
And, therefore,
I should just copy/paste that entire comment into a brand new (and redundant ) thread?

The parts I didn't cross out are a bit of what I'm saying. The reason nobody is going to respond is because they'll most likely notice it's a necropost.
Little tip: don't spit out strawmen.
EDIT: I want to note that you haven't gotten any replies to your necropost. You can also make new threads now. Yet you're wasting your (supposedly) limited time arguing on this thread, rather than just moving past a nearly-irrelevant feature of the forum and following the suggestions that members who have been here for years have given you.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:34:48 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.

Offline AndrewR9

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
So? Maybe one wants to discuss the topic with those who are still around.

Assuming they're still around and give a shit about the subject.

By "still around", I was referring to any/all currently active members, not just to whoever happened to already comment on that thread.

Little tip: don't spit out strawmen.

Little tip: I didn't.
I was asking you a question, not assigning a position.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +558/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
Actually, it usually is better to just make a new thread than to hunt down an old one, unless the old one is fairly recent (within a few months).  One of the problems with posting in old threads is that other users can then make the mistake of assuming that the discussion is recent and make comments directed at members who may no longer be here.

My suggestion would be to put a link to the old thread at the beginning of the new one.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
By "still around", I was referring to any/all currently active members, not just to whoever happened to already comment on that thread.

I meant that your argument assumes that at least one member who posted in the thread is still around and still gives a shit about the subject.

Little tip: I didn't.
I was asking you a question, not assigning a position.

Sorry. I misunderstood you.
We choose our own gods.