Author Topic: What is preaching?  (Read 257 times)

Offline thinkernotdoubter1997

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-11
  • This Gospel (Matthew 24:14)
    • This Gospel!
What is preaching?
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
I am being accused of preaching and trolling! &) &) &)

Why this double standard? When I post something, all I get is mocking. Why was there no action on this posts?

Am I preaching?

Of course I am. I am a Christian. I don't know what else to say. If you think I should leave, just deactivate my account. PM me if you want me stay or leave. Until then, GOOD BYE!

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matthew 24:14)

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +601/-19
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is preaching?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:23:59 AM »
Well, for starters, preaching - defined as posting religious proclamations, texts, or doctrine without showing the willingness to debate other members on its validity or to show evidence to support it - is actually forbidden in the forum rules.  Since you've been posting a lot of Bible verses, as if they answered all debate, many of your posts have violated the "no preaching" rule.  Being a Christian is no excuse.  This forum expects its members to be able to make their own points in an argument, not to rely on pronouncements from a book to 'make' points for you.

I was about to congratulate you for having the sense to ask what you were doing wrong, then I read that you were basically dropping out of the forum without even waiting to hear responses to this thread.  What's the point of asking a question if you're not going to stick around to read the answer?  I hope you stick around long enough to read the responses to this thread.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »

Why this double standard? When I post something, all I get is mocking. Why was there no action on this posts?

Am I preaching?

Of course I am. I am a Christian. I don't know what else to say. If you think I should leave, just deactivate my account. PM me if you want me stay or leave. Until then, GOOD BYE!

From the Rules subforum:
No Preaching - For the purposes of this forum, preaching is defined as the posting of religious proclamations/texts or inculcated religious doctrine without intent to engage members on its validity or support with evidence. The staff will determine if a member is engaging in preaching by using this definition as a baseline aided by the support of past experience

So far you haven't actually engaged in what we call discussion / debate here. You've made a few posts, often with what seems a deliberately provocative tone. You need to calm down and provide more substance for the regulars here to respond to.

If you're here to proclaim your version of Christianity, you've come to the wrong place. We expect discussion and debate, not a sermon or Bible quotes. If we wanted that, the content of the Rules section would be different; I encourage you to read it.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +117/-2
  • You know
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:48:21 AM »
As I see it, if you're a sincere believer that sincerely wants to bring the message of Christ to participants in a space like this, then your job here isn't to be a preacher. It's to be an apologist. And I don't mean anything negative when I use that word. I mean that you ought to be a defender of your faith. If you're not willing to offer that defense then you ought to stick to posting religious themed memes on your facebook timeline or whatever. This is a discussion forum.

Here I would contrast your behavior with folks like Jstwebbrowsing. I generally disagree with the positions he takes but I truly appreciate the fact that he is willing to explain those positions in detail and engage with challenges to them, as well as introduce interesting topics for discussion. The same could be said about many others who post here or have posted.

No one is annoyed that you're a Christian. Rather, we're annoyed that you don't seem to understand the concept of a discussion.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:59:49 AM by Timo »
Nah son...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:01:17 AM »

Am I preaching?

This is a big boy[1] website. If you're not potty trained, you're just gonna shit everywhere.

-Nam
 1. no offense meant to the females here, just using the figurative saying
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:36:07 AM »
Hey, at least this one is house trained. He banned himself.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 02:56:16 AM »
Hey, at least this one is house trained. He banned himself.

Only after it was pointed out to him he broke the rules he never read. Probably how he respects his own religion.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »

Am I preaching?

Couldn't stand the heat, could you? :laugh:
"In the end theologians are jealous of science, for they are aware that it has greater authority than do their own ways of finding “truth”: dogma, authority, and revelation. Science does find truth, faith does not. " - Jerry Coyne

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »
I am being accused of preaching and trolling!

No, you aren't.  You were politely informed that what you were doing was against the rules.  You were then asked to change your posting behavior.  No sanction or censure was brought against you.  No penalty was applied.  And you were instructed to PM a moderator if you had any questions. Instead, you start a thread in the wrong section.

That's gratitude for you.

Why this double standard? When I post something, all I get is mocking.

No double standard.  You get mocking because your posts are not very good.

Am I preaching?

Of course I am.

So it looks like the "accusation" was accurate, by your own admission.  I don't see what you have to complain about, then.

If you think I should leave, just deactivate my account. PM me if you want me stay or leave. Until then, GOOD BYE!

Oh, such drama...
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
The poor persecuted Christian. If only there was some place all the Christians could go to be around other people like them. Like a big farm where they can roam around and be free of asshole atheists. Maybe we can call it church... lol or America.
I think seeming he is a Christian he should get the special treatment he is requesting. Because you know.. heaven isn’t enough.

But if I may try speaking to you without mocking you (as difficult a task as that is), perhaps you should learn to talk to people rather than at them. Preaching is a form of communication that no one likes to be on the receiving end of outside of a church environment. Especially if you  kick it off with you are wrong *insert your chosen accusation and reasoning that flies in the face of the audience you chose to speak at. I don’t know who you thought you would reach with that tactic here in this environment.

And I personally mock you for shit like this...

I am being accused of preaching and trolling!

Am I preaching?

Of course I am. I am a Christian.

Come on guys have a heart! He is a Christian! The rules don’t apply to him because he is special. He is a freakin Christian! An ambassador to the bestest most awesomest most truest religion in the whole world!

It saddens me that you are not a troll. I had actually hoped you were a troll. Now I am hoping that you are some kid who hasn’t yet developed his thoughts or ideas and how you want to bring them to others. Because the only other explanation is....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:01:38 AM by G-Roll »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »
This kid reminds me of a white racist, the racist would say "I'm white therefore superior to you" the Christian[1] would say, "Hey, I am a Christian therefore I am superior to everyone else."

-Nam
 1. in accordance to a particular Christian, not all Christians.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
Am I preaching?

Of course I am. I am a Christian. I don't know what else to say.

Preaching is what a reverend does at a pulpit in front of the flock who (mostly) sit quietly and listen. Preaching is one-way communication.

You are posting on an internet forum. A forum is a place where people gather to discuss and debate topics. A forum requires two-way communication.

You will be identified as preaching when your form of communication is occurring in one direction. This is due to not understanding, considering or appreciating the positions other people have. Evidence of two-way communication include asking questions to others about why they think they way they do and then examine if what others think applies to you or your situation, and if you can understand why someone would thinks in a particular way (put yourself in the other persons' shoes).

If you want to preach, post videos to YouTube and turn off comments. If you want to discuss and debate, visit an internet forum, interact with members and make sure discussions are moving forward.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
You guys are going to make baby Jesus cry.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +122/-1
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
We have to remember that Christians think of themselves as oppressed by the secular[1] and the atheist. They claim to have the right to preach at us in any and all situations and they are oppressed if this doesn't happen.

In the UK they are now in a minority - I think the non-religious are above 50% now - so they try it on with the 'we got trampled' on style complaints... but to deaf ears.
 1. Even though secularism is about keeping the government out of religion and making a level playing field for all religions!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)