Author Topic: Your connection has been blocked in the server's firewall.  (Read 281 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +545/-54
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Your connection has been blocked in the server's firewall.
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
I'm fairly certain my ban expired a while back, yet I am still unable to browse without using special means. What gives?
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1051/-26
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Your connection has been blocked in the server's firewall.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
It's related to the extended downtime a few months back.  Without going into too much detail, it also resulted in some people being IP blocked by the firewall due to trying to access the site too frequently.

Unfortunately, the site's owner is the only one who can fix that.  If you know how to contact him directly, that would be a good option; otherwise, you'll have to PM one of the moderators[1] with your IP address so that it can be unblocked, since I'm assuming that you connected via a different means than normal to be able to post this message.
 1. jdawg70 is the one who's done it in the past
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +422/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:20:48 AM »
Dyoo seriously have a fixed IP? Might be easier to tell your ISP to change it.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +545/-54
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
It's related to the extended downtime a few months back.  Without going into too much detail, it also resulted in some people being IP blocked by the firewall due to trying to access the site too frequently.

Unfortunately, the site's owner is the only one who can fix that.  If you know how to contact him directly, that would be a good option; otherwise, you'll have to PM one of the moderators[1] with your IP address so that it can be unblocked, since I'm assuming that you connected via a different means than normal to be able to post this message.
 1. jdawg70 is the one who's done it in the past

Thanks.

Dyoo seriously have a fixed IP? Might be easier to tell your ISP to change it.

Dunno, don't care, I'll just PM jdawg70. Not in the mood to contact my ISP.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +259/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
Well, I've been blocked in the same way and haven't found a way in... until now when it seems to be fixed.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »
Weird, I've not long discovered that I can actually still access this place and log in/post normally so long as it's via my boyfriends internet service. However, I can't from home. With the help of a website called Ninja Web (which Emily suggested to me) I can still access here from home and log in to read but it won't let me do any more than that.

Strange stuff!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:09:51 PM by Emma286 »

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +259/-1
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »
Well, currently, I have no problem accessing the site but who knows when that will change! I have always thought this was due to being in another continent, Europe, and there was a problem with recognising traffic from Europe but if people in the USA have problems... who knows what the cause is.

Curiously, while I can't get in, others do and post so it must be something rather odd. Hope someone can work out what it is.

No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +103/-1
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »
I too am stuffed (it's a technical term), reading back you'll see that it's rumoured that contacting a mod might get you a seat on the cool kids table.

Whilst you're waiting, rather than going through a proxy server (ninja web) which can be horrid slow and possibly iffy, you could also download the latest Opera browser and use its inbuilt VPN set the VPN to Canada, for example.

It's the same idea of changing your IP address, just a different implementation, but it's also a little more "natural" in that you don't need to go to a different site first, or run your own VPN.

Horses for courses, use what works best for you.

http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/2016/09/how-to-set-up-a-vpn-mac-windows-linux/
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman

You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +259/-1
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:55:34 AM »
The use of Opera seems to work for me. I have set up the VPN and am posting using it now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +545/-54
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
If you're having problems, contact the owner and give him the information (IP) shown in the denial page.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:58:54 AM »
Thank you xyzzy and One Above All, bearing the things you said in mind.