Author Topic: New Password?  (Read 235 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: New Password?
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 03:46:30 AM »
I think it would a bit of a problem for Nam (or any of us) if someone is deliberately trying to make his life miserable. The "Forgot Password" function accepts both the registered user name or email ID. Logically only the email should be the acceptable entry there (or anything that is private for the user) as everyone can see the user name and click the reset password option.

Nothing publicly seen should be an acceptable entry in a Reset Password page!

And can any of the mods please move this entire thread to a Members Only section?

Ironically, i do not even know where that page is.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 03:48:13 AM »
What the hell's a "members only" section?

-Nam

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +44/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 05:09:51 AM »
I think it would a bit of a problem for Nam (or any of us) if someone is deliberately trying to make his life miserable. The "Forgot Password" function accepts both the registered user name or email ID. Logically only the email should be the acceptable entry there (or anything that is private for the user) as everyone can see the user name and click the reset password option.

Nothing publicly seen should be an acceptable entry in a Reset Password page!

And can any of the mods please move this entire thread to a Members Only section?

Ironically, i do not even know where that page is.

-Nam

Members only section is a section that is accessible only to registered members  :) Example, "Personal Help, Advice, & Support" (http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/board,27.0.html) Copy this link and paste into a different browser in your PC or device, you will get the warning that the topic or board is off limit for you along with the option to log in and the "Forgot your password?" link. Alternately, you can log off completely and try to access the the "Personal Help, Advice, & Support" page to check it out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:20:32 AM by sun_king »

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 05:44:12 AM »
I haven't been here in ages.  But I got an email about a password change this morning.

It was all a trick to bring me here, huh?

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +44/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »
I haven't been here in ages.  But I got an email about a password change this morning.

Mea Culpa.

Apologies Quesi, I was my doing. I was trying to check a few possibilities and recalled an ID that I was sure that was not active in recent past (and one that I remember). Personally I had never used the "Forgot your password?" link and so I was not sure what screen would follow. I had hoped that an user ID would be followed by a confirmation question (at that time I would have stopped - honest!), but the website just needs an user ID and it sent the email to you. Poor password recovery design and too optimistic thinking from me!

So it was no trick, but now that you are back....

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
Really? I'm still getting them. Just got one two minutes ago.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:12:22 PM »

If we thought a trick would work, we would do it. But you're too smart for that. If this site disappears, you'll have to start not being a member of atheistthinktank.org though.

You'd be welcomed back any time, any place.
What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.