Author Topic: Spacing problem in relation to personal messages  (Read 365 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +489/-49
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Spacing problem in relation to personal messages
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
One, if you could at least answer my last question in my last post re: the double spacing that would be appreciated. If  you plan to answer (but cannot just yet) I would appreciate it if you please said - and likewise if you are not planning to.

I forgot to reply at the time, then forgot again because of my exam yesterday.
Like I said by PM, it's a part of the problem. More information helps narrow down the cause.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Emma286

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +43/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »
If you compose your answers first in a word processing program, often the program automatically insert a double space after a full-stop and then cause a capital to be produced. If the writer also adds a space, this gap then becomes a triple space.

Line spacing can also be a problem: word processing program often have options for multiple line spacing and spacing between paragraphs. I sometimes note that something I have written in MS Word, comes out double spaced on a forum. (Although this does not seem to be the case in Simple Machines that WWGHA runs on.)

I initially wondered if composing messages in MS Word had anything to do with the problems mentioned here!  Still, given I've been guilty of using triple spacing between words (without realising) without doing that, I think it's likely I've been equally careless with quadruple and quintuple spacing the odd time between words (One, I will be more careful with this kind of thing from now on and apologies for that).  I'm still at a loss as to how things like extra spaces at the end of paragraphs/urls/in empty lines ever become visible in posts to others (when they read them on here) though. 

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +791/-24
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Forums run on a few main varieties of program. All the programs have options to optimise them for various operating systems (Win, Mac, Android, Linux, etc) and various browsers. None are perfect and small presentational errors creep in.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Emma286

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +43/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
One, if you could at least answer my last question in my last post re: the double spacing that would be appreciated. If  you plan to answer (but cannot just yet) I would appreciate it if you please said - and likewise if you are not planning to.

I forgot to reply at the time, then forgot again because of my exam yesterday.
Like I said by PM, it's a part of the problem. More information helps narrow down the cause.

Sure, no worries, and thanks for the response.  As mentioned above, though, I do deliberately use double spacing after full stops - for the reasons mentioned above. 

Online eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +350/-79
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 04:24:08 PM »
I dedicate this thread to all my brothers and sisters in the first world battling daily with their first world existential struggles of being.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?