Author Topic: The Atheist Corner  (Read 20913 times)

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
Re: The Atheist Corner
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:07 AM »
I KNOW this corner is just a false front for the real secret area that only the really cool atheists know about.  Of course, it's just a gut feeling

Offline Quartinium

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2012, 05:11:05 AM »
Yay, the first step to the establishment of a cult is formed by the atheists. Exclusivity.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2012, 05:32:12 AM »
What kind of person asks for permission to join a community, then, as his first order of business, finds a thread in which he can insult that community?

You've got to be kidding me. You can shove your generalizations and accustaions.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Quartinium

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2012, 05:53:10 AM »
What kind of person asks for permission to join a community, then, as his first order of business, finds a thread in which he can insult that community?

You've got to be kidding me. You can shove your generalizations and accustaions.

I hope you didn't take my jesting sarcasm for insult. It wasn't meant that way. Irony amuse me and it is a little ironic that in a forum devoted to exposing the fallacies and corruption of organized religion a step would be taken that emulates the first actions required to establish religion. As I said, exclusivity. But I'm not offended if you think I insulted you, but I might be if you don't also offer a specialized diet plan, specific code words or language, and awkward clothing too. :)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2012, 06:14:33 AM »
I hope you didn't take my jesting sarcasm for insult. It wasn't meant that way. Irony amuse me and it is a little ironic that in a forum devoted to exposing the fallacies and corruption of organized religion a step would be taken that emulates the first actions required to establish religion. As I said, exclusivity. But I'm not offended if you think I insulted you, but I might be if you don't also offer a specialized diet plan, specific code words or language, and awkward clothing too. :)
I disagree with your assessment of exclusivity. Most of the forum is entirely available to anyone and everyone, and is not exclusive in the least. This is, after all, an Atheist forum. It's really not that unfair to have one place on the whole forum where the target audience of this forum can have discussions without constantly being interrupted by preaching and babble. It's not even a busy area of the board.

As for comparing it to the exclusivity of religion, well, how many many people attired in traditional Middle Eastern clothing do you see in the typical audience at a Catholic Mass? Zero, perhaps? Do you think that they would be welcomed with open arms, and get to express their opinions during the mass? No. Whereas here, for better or for worse, any sap with an internet connection can say whatever they want. Sure there are rules here, but they are pretty reasonable, are aimed at promoting good discussion, and are enforced sensibly. Unlike the Catholic Church, we won't tell you not to masturbate. 

While I am always one to appreciate some good irony too, I think that it does not exist in this case, due to your attempt to make irony out of a false analogy.

Now, irony would be if this website had some sort of dogma or indoctrination or weird belief in ancient Jewish zombies.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »
My prayers have been answered!  God has led me to the promised land forum topic. May I please enter? I'm as atheistic as I know how to get.. I'm more than willing to blaspheme for a while if that helps?  ;D
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »
How very odd.  I see all the posts on this page as having been posted "Today" (i.e. 4/2/2012).  Yet I distinctly recall reading all these posts last week.  Am I having some kind of weird deja vu experience, or is the forum software wonky?  Or is there a third alternative?
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »

Oh, I understand what this is about now.

The parts about the "devotion" of the forum or the "first actions required to establish religion" aren't evidenced at all, beyond your bald assertions. Are you thought of as authoritative by anyone in your life, sweetheart?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Quartinium

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »
*shrugs* Apparently I failed to make a funny. I suppose I erred in thinking that this special suggestion of a place only for atheists in any way emulated that principle or that others could also see the similiarity.

Still, I don't think it's a bald assertion to suggest that exclusivity is a requirement for the successful implementation of a cult. http://www.howcultswork.com/

Cults work by isolating their members, the most successful have the greatest degree of isolation. As an example, Orthodox Judaism requires it's members to wear special clothes. A tallit-katan is worn by male members under their shirt. Language is another area where isolation can be achieved. To continue with Judaism, Hebrew has remained the language for sveral thousand years and is the preferred conversational language. Diet also assists in isolating members of the group, Kosher laws often require that the practioner only buy foods from a Jewish vendor as only they would have followed the laws closely enough to certify the food as kosher.

My earlier post was an attempt at humor, I failed. I'll keep trying to be funny though. :)

edited for spelling

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
You stopped short of an apology. But, I can appreciate when someone takes responsibility for their errors. You're on your way, young man.

A bald assertion, is rendered, as just that, bald. No evidence presented to support it.

Now you've made an attempt. Great! I think you would have a point if the forum was all of life. Unfortunately, the atheists who choose to avail themselves of an exclusive section of this forum are allowed to associate with whomever, whenever they like. Not to mention, they spend most of their time in what is commonly referred to online as "real life" where they also do as they please, when they please.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:03:45 PM by Ambassador Pony »

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »
Thank you for the link on cults, Quartinium.  I think it is a great starting point for understanding indoctrination. 

Here is a piece that I copied and pasted from your link, detailing the "Key Warning Signs" of a dangerous cult. 

Single charismatic leader.
People always seeming constantly happy and enthusiastic. Especially if you discover that they have been told to act that way for the potential new recruits.
Instant friends.
If you are told who you can or cannot talk to or associate with.
They hide what they teach.
Say they are the only true group, or the best so why go anywhere else.
Hyped meetings, get you to meetings rather than share with you.
Experiential rather than logical.
Asking for money for the next level.
Some cults travel door to door during times when women are home alone. They, and this is rather sexist, think that women are easier to recruit and once they have the woman then it will be easier to snare the husband or partner.
Saying that they have to make people pay for it because otherwise they will not appreciate it. This is of course a very silly reason, plenty of people are able to appreciate things which they did not pay for.

I went straight to youtube and found this.  Sure meets the criteria in your link.  Every single one!

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
Me, too.

Do we get a free toaster for joining?

Ya, it's called "hell".

Beats the alternative, though.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
If you are an atheist, and would like to join our new atheist only group, then this thread is for you. You'll have access to a atheists-only area and receive special offers and announcements reserved only for them. There are only 2 prerequisites to admittance -

1. You must be an atheist, which will be verified by viewing your posting history

2. Your post history must be 100 posts or greater

If you meet these two requirements, you will be admitted by posting in this thread that you wish to have access.

I hope you enjoy the new Atheist Corner!

Is that were we can go and talk about the agnostics behind their backs, or do they get to go too?  Oh crap, I'm 80 posts too light. 
Be right back.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
Ok.  I humbly request an interview. 

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »
Answer this very simple question:

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »
Green.

Seriously, who's banana do I have to tug to get in?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
Answer this very simple question:

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

What do you mean, an African, or a European swallow?
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
I'm quite late to this game, but . . . put me in, coach!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
I want in.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Did anybody ever get in or am I just unloved?
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
Member handles that begin with the letter "B" never make it in.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
You're all in now. Enjoy.

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +26/-1
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
Oh, me too, me too!!!

Pretty please with toasted babies on top??

<begins panting with excitement>

:)
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
Member handles that begin with the letter "B" never make it in.

HEYYYYYY!!!  >:(
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »
Tinyal, you're in.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
People keep mentioning this "Atheist Corner" to me.  Any chance I could find out what it was about?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
It's a place solely for atheists. If you get an invite, or ask for one. Basically, it excludes people. I'm not for those places.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »
People keep mentioning this "Atheist Corner" to me.  Any chance I could find out what it was about?

I "reported" your post.  To get attention.    I'm pretty damn sure it was an oversight. 

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
Sign me up, i guess?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.