Author Topic: Almost 10 answers [#7]  (Read 844 times)

Offline DL

Almost 10 answers [#7]
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »
the amputee one got no answer for it.

the second one....are the kids praying and believing in god or are they just asking for food?

the deaths.....ALL IN THE OLD TESTAMENT jesus is the new covenat we dont go by the old testament.

the nonsense...now this is what i heard.the same stuff found in dirt and sand is also found in us...also everything is made of soundwaves isnt?GOD SAID let there be light....water earth...etc.
were is mt.everest at in the bible?

SLAVE

no idea why there are slaves ill get back to you on that one! :D

the good thing theory its is the devil hurting us or its in God's plan for us(and im ok with God's plan)

what would you want Jesus to leave behind as proof? he healed people not bulid monuments

Jesus will come to us as a stranger asking for food or a homeless person (WE DONT KNOW WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE SO HOW ARE WE TO SAY IT IS OR ISNT HIM?)

HE DIDNT MEAN IT LITERALLY TO EAT HIM

he wants us "hungry"for him.so we take him in our body so he is inside of us.

marriage

dont know either.....people mess up and disobey God.

ok my turn for the questions.

energy can neither be created nor destroyed so where does it come from?

if i gave you a bag with ALLLLLL the parts of a watch and you shock it violently would you make the watch?

NO so how did the universe get here....hot gasses and dust what about that since it had to be created!?

now look at the world logically OUR atmosphere is the only one to support life.if the earth was tilted back a little bit then we would freeze same if it was tilted forward we would burn. the moon is just the right size to have controll over the ocean to keep it moving and not stagnate.

so yeah there you go please write me back!!!!!!

GOD BLESS YOU SIR!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:57:14 AM by DL »

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
Re: ignorence [#5]
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »

the second one....are the kids praying and believing in god or are they just asking for food?
Does it matter?  Are you saying an omnipotent, omnibenevolent deity needs starving children to pray and believe BEFORE he feeds them?   If that's the case, I want no part of him.

the deaths.....ALL IN THE OLD TESTAMENT jesus is the new covenat we dont go by the old testament.
Same book, same god.  Christians do go by the OT.  The messiah prophecies come from the old testament.  The ten commandments come from the old testament.  Christians are cherry picking what is acceptable today and leaving the rest behind. 

the nonsense...now this is what i heard.the same stuff found in dirt and sand is also found in us...also everything is made of soundwaves isnt?GOD SAID let there be light....water earth...etc.
I'll leave this to our more science minded members.

SLAVE

Slavery in the bible

Others see it differently than you.  People are accusing this student of kidnapping and holding Christ hostage.  They are sending him email threats because they believe the cracker magically turns into the body of Christ during the Eucharist.  If that's not cannibalistic, I don't know what is.

"It is hurtful," said Father Migeul Gonzalez with the Diocese. "Imagine if they kidnapped somebody and you make a plea for that individual to please return that loved one to the family."
'Body Of Christ' Snatched From Church, Held Hostage By UCF Student

Welcome to the forum.

"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
Re: ignorence [#5]
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »
Where did the post I replied to go?

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
Re: Almost 10 answers [#7]
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »
Sorry about that, Dkit. You must have been posting when we were moving things around a bit. It's fixed now.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:28:39 PM »
Sorry about that, Dkit. You must have been posting when we were moving things around a bit. It's fixed now.
Thanks, I thought I was posting in the wrong thread.   :-\

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »
Before I start, I should say that you are very welcome to come and join the forums here to discuss and debate these, among other issues such as the ones mentioned in the video, and your response.  Thank you for taking the time to write a response.

I'll let some others cover your other answers.

This one is of particular interest to me.  You see, many times, I have seen many christians that sort of 'pick and choose' from the parts of the bible they like.  This is usually called 'cherry picking', so I'll use that term here.

There are lots of things in the old testament that people, christians in particular like to use for their world view.  For example many are against gay marriage because in the old testament there are verses that are against homosexuality, yet if it's the old testament shouldn't that be considered out of date, just as beating a person to death for working on a sunday used to be a capital crime?  Cherry picking.

Then we have one of the favorite of all parts of the old testament: The ten commandments, given as a list and considered the word of god himself.

There are actually MANY versions of these ten depending on who you ask, and what religion you are in.
lets take a look at some of them.

Protestant

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
5. Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

King James Bible, issued by the American Bible Society.
Catholic

1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day.
4. Honor thy Father and thy Mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not steal.
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.

Catholic Catechism by Peter Cardinal Gasparri, "published with Ecclesiastical approval" and bearing the imprimatur of Patrick Cardinal Hayes, Archbishop, New York. P. J. Kenedy & Sons, 1932
Hebrew

1. I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
2. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; And showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work. But the seventh day is the Sabbath in honour of the Lord thy God; on it thou shalt not do any work, neither thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.
5. Honour thy father and thy mother; in order that thy days may be prolonged upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Bloch Publishing Company, New York, 1922.

There are also the various punishments listed in the bible as well. 
Lets take a look at a few.
Ten Punishments
1. Exodus 22:20: He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.
2. Leviticus 24:16: And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death.
3. Exodus 31:15: Whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
4. Exodus 21:15: He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
5. Exodus 21:17: He that curseth his father or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
6. Exodus 22:19: Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.
7. Leviticus 20:13: If a man lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.
8. Leviticus 20:10: And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death.
9. Mark 16:16: He that believeth not, shall be damned.
10. Malachi 2:1-4: And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you. If you will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart to give glory to my name, ... behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.
http://positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.htm

Looking at all this, we can see clearly that in general people do not follow them as written, and certainly the punishments are not meted out as written either.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »
But those deaths were still sanctioned by the same god in the past.   the only way I can understand this is if A) the OT god was a different god to NT, B) god's morality has changed between the OT and the NT or C) the OT was incorrect, just fiction or actual lies, while the NT is correct.

Which of those would it be?

Can you please explain this?  I don't understand this paragraph.    I don't think everything is made of soundwaves.   You might be thinking of quantum wave/particle duality.     I don't know what significance "Let there be light" has in your argument here.  And I assume Mt. Everest in the Bible was in the Himalayas in India, like it is now, which would be a far way away from the authors of the bible, and not terribly accesible to the people of the ancient world.  Are you pointing out that the Bible never seems to give information about the world that a human wouldn't be able to know or guess?

the good thing theory its is the devil hurting us or its in God's plan for us(and im ok with God's plan)
What if God's plan is for you to fail and end up in Hell for all eternity?  Or for you loved ones to go to Hell?  Is that okay with you?

what would you want Jesus to leave behind as proof? he healed people not bulid monuments
  Jesus is God, right?  Or did I get that wrong?   Perhaps visiting more than just his tiny corner of the globe, leaving consistent histories behind in various places that match up together perfectly...    and there's a whole myriad of ways that God could reveal itself without doubt to people, without even sending itself to earth as a man. 

If it's not part of God's plan to be obvious to us, then that's fine.  Plenty of people hatch plans that involve stealth or anonymity.  However, it seems strange to demand that people believe in the existence of god while making it seem so unlikely to people, or just as likely as any other god of any other religion in the world.   It also seems a strange, if not unfair way to judge the worthiness of people depending on their willingness to believe despite a lack of evidence, not to mention the luck of picking the right god to believe in.  Do you see what I mean?

Jesus will come to us as a stranger asking for food or a homeless person (WE DONT KNOW WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE SO HOW ARE WE TO SAY IT IS OR ISNT HIM?)

Okay, so some of the bible is literal, but some isn't.  How do you tell which ones?  There are some parts of the bible that people insist are literal despite them being just as farfetched as Jesus asking us to eat him. 

energy can neither be created nor destroyed so where does it come from?
Well, it can neither be created nor destroyed, so the question doesn't make sense.  It's like asking "at what time did time begin?"   

The scientific theory is that all matter, time and space was condensed to a singularity or near-singularity that then expanded rapidly in what we call the Big Bang.  However, even if you don't believe that, or can't trust your scientific knowledge to say for sure, saying "I don't know" is totally fine. No one has to make up answers to fill in the gaps.

if i gave you a bag with ALLLLLL the parts of a watch and you shock it violently would you make the watch?

NO so how did the universe get here....hot gasses and dust what about that since it had to be created!?
If the parts of the watch had certain forces between them that behaved according to certain laws, those laws might cause them to arrange into a watch.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  You're asking how matter in space at a very different time ended up looking how it does now, and why it doesn't re-arrange itself after settling into its current form.   Shaking a watch in a sack is hardly comparable to supernovae, super-heated gases, dust,  plasma, sub-atomic particles, nuclear fission nor the Big Bang itself.

now look at the world logically OUR atmosphere is the only one to support life.
Now look at what you just said logically. How do you know ours is the only atmosphere to support life?  You're assuming that any life in the universe would take the same form as it does on earth, have the same requirements, and that none of the trillion stars out there have a planet anything like ours.

if the earth was tilted back a little bit then we would freeze same if it was tilted forward we would burn. the moon is just the right size to have controll over the ocean to keep it moving and not stagnate.
  People like to understand the margin of error involved in producing an earth that supports life as we know it.  It is narrow, but it's hardly surgical precision.  Earth has been frozen at times, and it can be quite hotter at other times.  It's not a constant temperature, and climatic changes have caused extinction and environmental upheaval many times in the Earth's history.

Still, let's pretend that the placement and orientation of the earth is so very, very precise.  Let's say it's a one in a trillion arrangement.  Do you think it's  possible there are trillions of planets out there?   So isn't it completely plausible that one of them would end up being like the earth, randomly?   We wouldn't find ourselves on a planet that is completely inhopsitable to life because, well... we wouldn't have ever came into being on such a planet. 

The chances of winning the lottery are very slim, but it still happens. 

Improbable doesn't mean impossible.  It does make it infrequent, though.  Few people win the jackpot in their lifetimes, let alone twice.  If there were heaps of earth-like planets around, and no natural mechanism to explain why so many planets would develop like that, then it would seem like design.  The solitude of the earth in the solar system provides no contradiction to the idea that our earth really is the result of happenstance.

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 07:57:31 PM »
SLAVE

Yes, please do.  Look up "Onesimus" while you're at it.  :)

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »
the amputee one got no answer for it.

Damn, and that's the one I wanna hear about most.  :(
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote