Author Topic: Gun Fails  (Read 76744 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +1029/-36
  • Karma mooch
Re: Gun Fails
« Reply #1276 on: January 26, 2016, 10:20:28 AM »
Mississippi

Awesome.  My questions:
1) which one(s) were the good guys with the guns?
2) how did being armed to the teeth protect the gun store owner and his kid?
3) "An armed society is a polite society".  Obviously.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:23:17 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +791/-24
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #1277 on: January 27, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/tennessee-boy-7-killed-when-his-brother-8-finds-a-loaded-handgun-car
A Tennessee boy, 7, was killed Monday afternoon after his eight-year-old brother, who was alone inside of the vehicle with his brother and two other children, found a loaded handgun inside of his mother’s purse. While the mother and the step-father were inside a Verizon store in Crossville, Tennessee, the child found the semi-automatic pistol, and according to reports, was trying to “unload” it when it fired, hitting his seven-year-old brother in the head.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +145/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1278 on: January 29, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »
http://dependviral.com/new-the-best-shooting-gun-fail-2015/

most of these are less than 3" away from not being funny anymore
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +1029/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1279 on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »

Love the asshole in the cowboy hat 1:00 minute in who tries a quick draw and shoots hisself in the leg.  Classic.  Some of those are older than 2015 though.  I'm pretty sure I saw the drunk idiot in spandex with a shot gun a couple years ago.  Love all the people standing around when he negligently discharges it. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +145/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1280 on: January 31, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »

Love the a**hole in the cowboy hat 1:00 minute in who tries a quick draw and shoots hisself in the leg.  Classic.  Some of those are older than 2015 though.  I'm pretty sure I saw the drunk idiot in spandex with a shot gun a couple years ago.  Love all the people standing around when he negligently discharges it.

My personal fave is the dipshit who looks down the barrel and shoots his scalp & hat off.  I mean, put aside the fact that you're pointing a loaded gun at your face (!!!), do you really expect to actually SEE anything down a gun barrel????
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1639/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #1281 on: January 31, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »
It appears that a number of people in the US have decided that a gun is a toy like an action figure, or a tool like a socket wrench. In other words, a perfectly normal, relatively safe thing to have in the house, in the car, in your purse, in your pants pocket, strapped on your person.

Carry it anywhere, leave it lying around. Get so used to having it with you, that you might even forget you have it when you go to the airport, to court, to a party or to your kid's school.

It is a sobering way to think about something that has only this purpose: to frighten, hurt or kill another person. That is what all the "self-protection" and "home protection" rhetoric covers up. You cannot protect yourself with a gun unless you frighten, hurt or kill another person. That is why you think you need to carry a gun. You are too scared to function without it.

Sorry. I am not that scared yet.
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1125/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #1282 on: January 31, 2016, 11:25:35 PM »

Me either.

And I don't need enemies. Not bad enough that I have to create them myself.
What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +133/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #1283 on: January 31, 2016, 11:50:44 PM »
It appears that a number of people in the US have decided that a gun is a toy like an action figure, or a tool like a socket wrench. In other words, a perfectly normal, relatively safe thing to have in the house, in the car, in your purse, in your pants pocket, strapped on your person.

Carry it anywhere, leave it lying around. Get so used to having it with you, that you might even forget you have it when you go to the airport, to court, to a party or to your kid's school.

It is a sobering way to think about something that has only this purpose: to frighten, hurt or kill another person. That is what all the "self-protection" and "home protection" rhetoric covers up. You cannot protect yourself with a gun unless you frighten, hurt or kill another person. That is why you think you need to carry a gun. You are too scared to function without it.

Yep. The "a gun is just another tool" argument has never made sense to me. If it's a tool, a gun is a very specialized one, with the purpose of killing. And not many gun owners in the US live in areas where they have to worry about dangerous animals- except their fellow balding primates.

Overall, the incidence of violent crime continues to drop, in the US and elsewhere. Yet the fear of becoming a victim of that violence continues to grow. Another reason we're a long way from having a reasoned discussion about gun control in the USA.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:03:18 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1639/-9
« Reply #1284 on: February 01, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »
Both of those stats-- the falling violent crime rate and the rising fear of same-- are driven by the same factor: the aging of the US population. Middle aged and elderly people commit fewer violent crimes, so as the proportion of older people grows, the crime rate drops. But older people are more fearful, especially of the unknown.

Combine that fear with being more frail, more forgetful, more socially isolated, and getting more information about the world from sensational media that focuses on the details of violent events.[1] And there you have a recipe for more older people agreeing with the gun lobbyists that having a loaded firearm (or three or ten) around would be a fine idea.

And we are talking about people with access to guns who no longer are able to drive a car (the two ton bullet-- remember Garry Shandling and the DMV? [Mr.]) safely. Many elderly people should not drive, but are reluctant to give up the keys. Imagine if the DMV did not require people to show up periodically and demonstrate that they are still capable of safely operating a motor vehicle. Is a gun easier to use correctly than a car? Evidently not, if the gun fails are any indication.

There was a study I heard about on NPR that discussed why older people are more prejudiced than younger people. It is not just conservative upbringing. We actually become more prejudiced as we age! And it turns out to be fear of the unknown, and of not being known, ie of dying and disappearing.[2]Strangers, different races, ambiguous gender, foreigners speaking unfamiliar languages and so on represent the scary unknown. Even though it is far more statistically likely that if you get robbed or hurt, it will be by someone of your own race who you know at least slightly.

That is why Trump et al get traction with the "build a wall to keep out the Mexicans" and "don't let Muslims into the country" claptrap. Elect a guy who looks familiar, not like that scary Hussein Obama dude. What kind of a name is that, anyway? And get a gun-- that will protect you from that scary stranger of a different race from a foreign country who wants to do you harm.  :o

No need for any training on how to use that gun, either. Never saw Max Max, Ahhnold or John Wayne taking any stinking gun safety course, didja? They were born experts, just because. Rambo didn't keep his guns in a locked safe away from the ammo, did he? He had to be ready for the commies at a moment's notice. Dirty Harry didn't second guess himself-- when he saw a bad guy coming at him in the dark, he just blew him away. And it never turned out to be his 14 year old daughter sneaking in from seeing her boyfriend...

The folks who advise the conservative repubs, the tea partiers, the NRA and the other pro-gun groups know exactly what they are doing by targeting fear.[3] I call them sell-out social theorists, people who use the results of psychology, sociology and neuroscience to manipulate people for their own ends.[4]
 1. Like, who really needed to see the inside of the home of the couple who shot up that holiday party?It totally creeped me out that the media would do that, after the suspects are dead.
 2. IIRC, the story focused on elderly Jews and other religious people, who were just as fearful of the unknown as other groups. So much for religion being a comfort to people as they get closer to death.
 3. Quite literally-- remember the gun targets made to look like a black kid in a hoodie? 
 4. All the while lying to people, telling them that science is bogus!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +1029/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1285 on: February 02, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »
But older people are more fearful, especially of the unknown.

I have an uncle who is in his 80s.  He's always been a gun nut and a bit of a romantic about it.  He once told me, "If there is a guy shooting people and you have a gun, if you are a real man, you have a responsibility to go and stop the shooter."  Up to about that point I kind of idolized him.  After he said that, I decided he was a fucking idiot.  A real man has a responsibility to go home to his family.  And just because you have a gun, that does not make you trained or authorized to go hunt down a shooter.  A real man gets the heck out of there and keeps his gun hidden, lest the police think he's the shooter and blow him away.

He keeps an unloaded gun on his night stand as a decoy for intruders to worry about while he takes the loaded one out from under his pillow.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +878/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1286 on: February 02, 2016, 10:40:15 AM »
It's related to the historical belief that you weren't really a man unless you could take weapon in hand and take down the bad guys threatening your family personally.  However, that assumes that you know how to use it, which many of these people clearly don't.  It also means being able to keep a cool head in a crisis, which most people aren't good at.  And lastly, most of these people don't consider what happens if you fail, or the fact that it's more important to keep your family safe than to gun down people who dare to attack, because they're weaned on shows where the good guys always win and seldom even get hurt, when in reality, probability doesn't play favorites.

Most people think they live in the universe where things that should happen do, when we all actually live in the universe where things that shouldn't happen do too...and at an alarming rate.
Please let me know if you have problems with something I say, so that we can discuss it amicably.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1639/-9
« Reply #1287 on: February 02, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
^^^Yuppo. A flying bullet cannot tell a good guy from a bad one. Or a good woman. Or a good child.  :(

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +1029/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1288 on: February 03, 2016, 10:10:18 AM »
next gunfail, whatever number it is. Site says CLXXIII, which should be 173, but whatever.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/29/1462143/-Sometimes-I-m-amazed-there-s-anyone-left-alive-in-the-United-States-at-all-GunFAIL-CLXXIII
highlights: 44 gun fails. Bismark, ND had 2 negligent fails on the same day.  Three fails on xmas eve in Colleton county, SC.  #39 is not a gun fail, but a cop fail.

#1 gun nut in georgia shoots hisself with the gun he keeps under his pillow.  Quite timely, given my last post in this thread.
http://www.wtvm.com/story/30795379/police-respond-to-accidental-shooting

#4 Concealed Carry nut leaves pink gun in walmart women's restroom.
http://www.heraldargus.com/news/firearm-found-in-walmart-bathroom/article_0516e966-a85f-11e5-acb3-9f1f03f9bc45.html

#5 cop negligently shot by another cop trying to clean a loaded gun
http://wric.com/2015/12/20/richmond-sheriffs-deputy-accidently-shot-by-another-deputy/

#7 guy negligently shoots hisself in the leg. Mother proclaims, “We are definitely blessed”.  Mmm-hm.
http://www.ozarkcountytimes.com/news/article_6ca679f4-a98e-11e5-8e6e-73d41096936a.html

#10 guy kills burglar and his own sibling and housemate. kind of defeats the whole idea of protecting your family, innit?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/23/district-attorney-says-man-killed-home-invader-but-also-accidentally-killed.html

#15 guy shoots and kills hisself while demonstrating the proper way to clean a gun via video call.
http://wtop.com/national/2015/12/police-man-shoots-self-while-showing-how-to-clean-gun/

#22 guy who definitely should not be a cop, but is, was practicing his quick draw technique in the Des Moines airport and negligently sent a bullet into the ceiling.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2015/12/24/des-moines-police-officer-practicing-quick-draws-accidentally-fires-gun/77873168/

#36 cop and her husband shoot a combined 27 rounds at a family member (who lived with them) on xmas, thinking she was an intruder.  they only hit her once, in the leg.
http://www.ktnv.com/news/off-duty-police-officer-accidentally-shoots-relative-in-north-las-vegas
http://www.copblock.org/150716/off-duty-las-vegas-cop-accidentally-shoots-relative/
"North Las Vegas police said no charges will be filed against the officer since it was an accidental shooting."
Pathetic.  That's not accidental.  They intended to draw and fire their weapons.  They just did not know what or who their target was.  That makes it negligent.

#41 cop negligently shoots girlfriend while trying to clean loaded gun.  So they say.
http://ksam1017.com/2015/news/local-shooting-update/

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +418/-38
« Reply #1289 on: February 03, 2016, 06:12:03 PM »
He once told me, "If there is a guy shooting people and you have a gun, if you are a real man, you have a responsibility to go and stop the shooter."

I don't suppose it occurred to him that doing so would make him a "shooter" and that other "real men" would, following his advice, have a duty to shoot him?
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +791/-24
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #1290 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
Background research from Science Daily. Read more + links at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160202090811.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ftop_news%2Ftop_science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+Science+News%29

Gun deaths are a serious public health issue in the United States and the scope of the problem is often difficult to illustrate. A new study published in The American Journal of Medicine lays out the risk in concrete terms. When compared to 22 other high-income nations, Americans are ten times more likely to be killed by a gun than their counterparts in the developed world. Specifically, gun homicide rates are 25 times higher in the U.S. and, while the overall suicide rate is on par with other high-income nations, the U.S. gun suicide rate is eight times higher.

[…] When compared to other high-income nations, as an American you are:
• Seven times more likely to be violently killed
• Twenty-five times more likely to be violently killed with a gun
• Six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun
• Eight times more likely to commit suicide using a gun
• Ten times more likely to die from a firearm death overall
Homicide is the second leading cause of death for Americans 15 to 24 years of age, and the third leading cause of death among those 25 to 34 years of age.
[…]Erin Grinshteyn, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Nevada-Reno, School of Community Health Science, [explained] "For example, offenders take into account the threat posed by their adversaries. Individuals are more likely to have lethal intent if they anticipate that their adversaries will be armed."

Suicide is another source of gun deaths. While suicide rates for the U.S. are similar to those in other high-income countries, Americans are eight times as likely to take their own lives using a gun. […]
America's love affair with firearms has dire consequences, especially when compared to outcomes in the rest of the developed world. Investigators found that despite having only half the population of the other 22 high-income nations combined, the U.S. accounted for 82% of all firearm deaths. In addition, the U.S. accounted for 90% of all women, 91% of children aged 0 to 14 years, and 92% of youth aged 15 to 24 years who were killed by firearms.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," noted Dr. Grinshteyn. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us.
"
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +489/-49
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #1291 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
Is it any surprise that more guns=more gun-related problems?
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +878/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1292 on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm not as concerned about the gun suicide rate, per se.  All it means is that an American looking to commit suicide is more likely to look in the barrel of a gun than by using other means.  I am concerned about the suicide rate as a whole, though.

However, I am very concerned about the homicide rate (and the general rate of gun-related deaths).  Because it really is much easier to kill someone with a gun than with other weapons, whatever gun advocates might fool themselves into believing.
Please let me know if you have problems with something I say, so that we can discuss it amicably.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +418/-38
« Reply #1293 on: February 05, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »
It's also much easier to kill one's self with a gun, by the same token.  Which means less chance to reconsider or to let one's survival instinct override what one is doing.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1639/-9
« Reply #1294 on: February 05, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
It's also much easier to kill one's self with a gun, by the same token.  Which means less chance to reconsider or to let one's survival instinct override what one is doing.

Very true. Pills, jumping off a bridge, cutting wrists, etc. all have a better survival rate than a bullet to the head[1]. Most people who attempt suicide and fail are happy to have failed. Treatment for depression (meds and therapy) cures a lot of suicidal ideation and gives another chance at life. It is a lot harder to fail and get another chance at life with a firearm.
 1. Although a failed suicide by bullet often "survives" as a brain damaged vegetable doomed to life in an institution.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +878/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1295 on: February 05, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »
Not arguing against that, but the excessively high homicide rate is much more worrying to me.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1639/-9
« Reply #1296 on: February 05, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
We agree on that. The easy presence of guns coupled with a cultural/historical bent toward solving problems with violence equals a lot more people getting shot and killed by other people. Add in the reckless shootings listed in the gun fails and that is a lot of unnecessary mayhem that US people are exposed to.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +418/-38
« Reply #1297 on: February 05, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »
Agreed as well, with what you just wrote, Jaime.  I was only taking issue with this:

All it means is that an American looking to commit suicide is more likely to look in the barrel of a gun than by using other means.  I am concerned about the suicide rate as a whole, though.

Because no, it doesn't just shift the stats from other means toward death-by-gun.  It increases the absolute odds as well.