Author Topic: I'm Losing My Mind  (Read 618 times)

Offline Defiance

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-5
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
Re: I'm Losing My Mind
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
New method of quitting smoking?
Q: Why are quantum physicists bad lovers? A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjokes/schooljokes/physicsjokes.html

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-131
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 06:46:40 PM »
New method of quitting smoking?

"Quiting smoking is now simple. For just $99.99 you can stop smoking by you allowing us to remove your brain, and to cut out all those memories of cigarettes, and then for an additional $59.99 we'll place your brain back in your head somewhat like new!

Act now before you die from smoking!"

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +216/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
Can you use rice milk or almond milk?

She doesn't like them.

-Nam

I tried almond milk in pancakes.  I didn't care for the texture.  The flavor was ok.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +880/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
Just tried to post a comment and got the 404 warning. So I took a screen grab of what I wanted to say.
Your post failed because of the Holy word filter - it does not accept "Wellbutrin" and rejects the entire post.

It seems to me that your and Nam's troubles stem from stress and/or depression: having suffered from both, the idea of walking into a room and forgetting why you have gone in, etc. is not unusual.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +163/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »
^^^I deeply resemble that observation. Despite decades of knowing and (largely) coping with my own depression, it still manages to ambush me.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »
^^^I deeply resemble that observation. Despite decades of knowing and (largely) coping with my own depression, it still manages to ambush me.

It's a sneaky git that's for sure. ;)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-131
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
Just tried to post a comment and got the 404 warning. So I took a screen grab of what I wanted to say.
Your post failed because of the Holy word filter - it does not accept "Wellbutrin" and rejects the entire post.

It seems to me that your and Nam's troubles stem from stress and/or depression: having suffered from both, the idea of walking into a room and forgetting why you have gone in, etc. is not unusual.

Well, I do take care of my mother full-time with hardly a break. The only time I got one recently was when her kidneys collapsed and she was in the hospital for a month.

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +880/-28
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »
Well, I do take care of my mother full-time with hardly a break. The only time I got one recently was when her kidneys collapsed and she was in the hospital for a month.
Being a full-time carer is like being a nurse 24/7 and nursing is physically draining and stressful - more so when you are involved in the patients life.

In the UK, there is such a thing as "Respite Care" in which the invalid is sent off to a retreat of some sort (a Respite Home.) The break is rarely longer than a few weeks a year and is arranged through social workers - is such a thing available to you and your mother?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-131
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
Being a full-time carer is like being a nurse 24/7 and nursing is physically draining and stressful - more so when you are involved in the patients life.

In the UK, there is such a thing as "Respite Care" in which the invalid is sent off to a retreat of some sort (a Respite Home.) The break is rarely longer than a few weeks a year and is arranged through social workers - is such a thing available to you and your mother?

No. She was recently denied a part-time caretaker because they don't feel she's sick enough to have one.

God Bless America

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +880/-28
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 06:40:58 PM »
I wasn't thinking so much about a "professional" carer, more about if there is a possibility that she could be given a holiday in some pleasant Old Folk's Home for a few weeks - that would be a break for you too.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-131
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2016, 06:53:21 PM »
I wasn't thinking so much about a "professional" carer, more about if there is a possibility that she could be given a holiday in some pleasant Old Folk's Home for a few weeks - that would be a break for you too.

Her insurance doesn't cover things like that.

-Nam

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »
Admittedly, I don't know very much on how insurance companies work - having never had to deal with any personally so far. But is it worth your mother trying a different insurance company?

Online junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +268/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 07:32:01 AM »

Her insurance doesn't cover things like that.

-Nam

I really admire the way you take care of your mother. :)  You have to remember to take care of yourself first because you're no good to her if you are not well.

Check with your local Hospice they offer this service and take any kind of insurance, I'm pretty sure.  That should be their motto...Hospice, not just a place to die but to live!!!  Sorry if you did not find that funny as I am nervous to talk to you. 

Here's hoping for a new beginning!  **cheers**

Oh yea there are memory games online, I think.  I've seen them advertised.  Maybe that would help? :P 

Almost 7,000,000 results.  Lumosity is the one I saw advertised.  https://www.google.com/search?q=memory+games&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man...Thomas Paine

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
My problems isn't walking into a room and forgetting what I went in there for. My issue is when I get in the room, I identify a project in that room I forgot to do, so I start doing it and forget the original project that made me go into the room in the first place.

See, so I don't really have a memory problem....    ;)
The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong

Been Two thousand Years and He Ain't Shown Yet,

We Kept His Seat Warm and The Table Set.

The Greatest Story Ever Told Was so Wrong, So Wrong.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +216/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:22 PM »
Hospice requires a physician's referral.  Mostly it is provided for those with 6 or less months to live.  They don't provide respite care but end of life care and support.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:04:51 PM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-131
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
Admittedly, I don't know very much on how insurance companies work - having never had to deal with any personally so far. But is it worth your mother trying a different insurance company?

Nope. She's on Social Security Disability[1] and goes through Humana.

-Nam
 1. Since she's still employed by her last job on long-term disability, going on five years; they continually state they're going to fire her because they know she's not going to recover enough to go back but she's still listed on my dad's mortgage when he was to refinance, which he still hasn't as of yet and most likely will never refinance, so in my opinion they'll never fire her as long as she's on that mortgage

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +616/-131
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2016, 11:17:34 PM »
Just stepped on my cat's foot. I was walking back to my room and he ran ahead of me and hid behind a box so when I walked by he would attack my foot by holding his entire body around it while gently biting it. He does is about five or six time a day. If it's my left foot I gently fling him into the wall but this instead of letting him attack me as I always do I "attacked" him but accidentally stepped on his foot. He's currently scared of me right now, i wanted to check his foot because he limped into my bedroom but then I got his treats which he came out for, and gave him some and petted him then threw some on the ground so he'd run to it and I could check out his foot. It seems fine now. He's still staying away from me, though. Last time he stayed away from me was when I accidentally sprayed water into his eyes. That lasted about six hours.

-Nam
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:19:22 PM by Nam »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 05:00:48 AM »
Hoping he soon calms down/feels better. Accidentally stepping on a cat is easily done at times I know.

My family used to have a cat (a white short-haired one) who would attack my dad's foot regularly, but it tended to just be when he wanted breakfast at a certain time of day! Can also remember an occasion when I had him on my lap (he typically wasn't a very nice cat but would appreciate affection sometimes) and he suddenly biffed my glasses off my face. He would constantly do that kind of thing to other cats of ours too. Little git! But I did love him, still miss him.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:24:53 AM by Emma286 »