Author Topic: What are you watching on TV?  (Read 155 times)

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
What are you watching on TV?
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:32:43 AM »
Feel free to share, discuss and rate or not rate as you like. :-) Thought I'd start a new one of these as the older one hasn't been posted in for a long while.

Haven't long, finally, started watching Humans series 1 (as missed it when it first came out).

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4122068/

Finding it very interesting so far (though only about 5 episodes in). Love the acting and am finding the storyline attention gripping. Liking all the characters so far,  Mia, Niska and Leo being my favourites! Have heard mixed things as to how good series 2 is, but still plan to check that out next. I like the fact that this is a pretty short series, being just 8 episodes long. There's enough here for a story to really get into, imo, but without an overwhelming amount of time devotion required.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:56:57 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +452/-5
Re: What are you watching on TV?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
I greatly enjoyed Humans 1 - like many, I found Humans 2 to be less interesting.  Won't spoil it for you with the "whys"!

Westworld, funnily enough, felt much the same - good premise at the start, went off track a little as it went along (assuming Westworld Season 1 is the equivalent of Humans 1 and 2).

If you can catch it, Aliens TV show was pretty good - Aliens crashed in central UK, so we built a big wall round them and had border guards etc.  A very British take on what might really happen if an alien life-form appeared.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +225/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
There are 2 series that my son and I are keeping up with.  They are Better Call Saul (a prequel to Breaking Bad) and Fargo. (by the same writers as the movie) I was also watching This is Us and will probably catch it when new episodes come back.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:46 AM »
I greatly enjoyed Humans 1 - like many, I found Humans 2 to be less interesting.  Won't spoil it for you with the "whys"!

Haha no worries there on the spoiler thing. :-) Will get to figure out the why's soon enough! I was originally in two minds about getting it - thinking I'd wait till after I'd reached the end of the first season to decide. Still, I ended up recently receiving it as a gift, so thinking I might as give it a whirl. Thanks for the feedback though, good to be aware of. If I find the same there will probably forget about checking out season 3 - if it does end up being made.

Westworld, funnily enough, felt much the same - good premise at the start, went off track a little as it went along (assuming Westworld Season 1 is the equivalent of Humans 1 and 2).

I've heard of that show before (am pretty sure) but forgot about it since. Thank you for the reminder! As I really like the 1973 movie (though never got into Future World as much) that's definitely one I'd be interested to check out some of at least. That's a shame that it went off track though. It's such a shame when that kind of thing happens and ruins a show.

If you can catch it, Aliens TV show was pretty good - Aliens crashed in central UK, so we built a big wall round them and had border guards etc.  A very British take on what might really happen if an alien life-form appeared.

Appreciate the mention. Am pretty sure I haven't heard of that one before. Good to be aware of. :-)

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:31:22 AM »
There are 2 series that my son and I are keeping up with.  They are Better Call Saul (a prequel to Breaking Bad) and Fargo. (by the same writers as the movie) I was also watching This is Us and will probably catch it when new episodes come back.

I remember you mentioning Breaking Bad before. Thought the story line sounded intriguing at the time. Will have to double check to see if it's still being shown on Netflix. I never watched the Fargo movie, but will take your word for that (on the writers). Interesting to know that one was directed by Kathy Bates. I've always really liked her as an actress (just found that out online). Thinking that also sounds interesting. Thanks for the mentions. Hope you and your son are enjoying all the shows.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
Giving Humans series 1 a rating of 9.5/10. Thought this was excellent!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
Haven't long finished watching Humans 2.

I actually found it pretty good/enjoyed it! I was a tad disappointed with the way things went with some of the characters/their side storylines *spoilers following in the rest of this paragraph* amongst other things I thought Pete's death sucked even if the timing was totally believable given all that was up with the Hester synth, and thought that the mass synth death that happened also did etc.

However, on balance, how much I enjoyed this came pretty close to how much I enjoyed series 1. Practically found how the story events unfolded just as attention holding and continued to find the original characters very interesting - as I also (mostly) did the new one's. Am already looking forward to the third series!

Rating 9/10.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +434/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:32:08 AM »
I just signed up to Optus 100GB 4G for $70 with free access to Netflix. This has been a boon to Australian rural dwellers, or at least those who noticed it. Eh! will most likely not notice it.

This means that even though I have an extensive downloading history, I just tried a few series, because there was a good looking girl on the little square thing.

The first one I tried was Brooklyn 99, which is a half sane version of Angie Tribeca. It's not too bad.

But then I got stuck into The Goodwife, which is fairly good law firm story telling, and by episode 10, it looks like they are going to spin out the story arc for about 10 series. The thing the kids are doing with the photos and babysitter look more and more implausible.

Blacklist 4 is getting a tad boring, even though the plot is getting more complex.

Agents of SHIELD is still doing rather well, with grandiose sci-fi character story telling, even if the scenarios are impossible. Series 4 seems to be mostly about androids swapping out the whole team. Won't be long until nobody can work out if they are all in virtual reality.

Have just done The Handmaid's Tale, which tells the story of USA being taken over by a puritanical coup. The Handmaids are a group of prisoner slaves, who get shared around for baby making. It's a world where they get their eye plucked out for being cheeky to the aunty.

Lucifer series 2 just ended, which means no more Lesley Ann Brandt :-( for a while.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +449/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:52:45 AM »
We just started watching series 2 of "F is for Family" on Netflix. On my own, I'll soon start the next series (5? 6?) of "Wentworth", my partner hasn't followed that one with me. At some point, I'll start the next series of "Orange is the New Black" too.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:29:23 PM »
Wilfred(US). My son begged me to watch. Hilarious.
Ill watch Aussie version next.

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +449/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:51:53 PM »
^^^I watched the Aussie version, laughed until I nearly/actually cried, more than once. But I have a pretty weird sense of humor... I haven't watched the US version, will have to queue that up.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin