Author Topic: How to make a trillion  (Read 86 times)

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
How to make a trillion
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
I made this post on another thread.
And then I thought it is better placed here!!

Invent a better battery and more efficient solar panels. You solve most of the worlds problems in one stroke!

Global warming could be managed.

Terrorist groups like ISIS would lose most of their funding.

World poverty is reduced because more energy is available to provide essential resources in many areas.

With less people worrying where their next meal is coming from they are more likely to be able to find a job and so contribute to the global economy.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Re: How to make a trillion
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »

One fine day to be sure, we're working on it...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »
If you really want to solve all the earths' problems then here's the solution:
    http://www.vhemt.org/

Not holding my breath however.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »
While life would be wonderful if easy answers existed for everything, it never seems to quite work out that way.

Until recently (like, you know, last year) it was generally agreed that it took more energy to make a solar panel than it would ever produce in return. This was not a good thing. Now it is generally accepted that they make a bit more than the amount of energy to make them, but until they can make gobs more energy than it takes to produce them, that will be an issue.

Secondly, our current distribution grid for electricity is not capable of handling a solar only, let alone a solar majority generation system. The grid currently has to be watched 24/7 so that every demand, day or night, can be handled. Every time you turn on a light switch or turn off an oven, and immediate adjustment in the output power of the technology producing power has to be made. You can't just pump a hundred thousand amps down the wire and hope that the system will absorb it efficiently. It can't do that. Dams and coal/gas/nuclear powered plants can instantly adjust the output as necessary. Solar, not so much.

And most importantly, never underestimate the ability of the powerful to distort and overpower even the best intentions of mankind. Just as spammers found ways, via new technology, to eke out a living by being incredibly obnoxious human beings, so too would the already rich find ways to eke out new levels of wealth, at the expense of everyone else.

I live in Montana. There is no financial incentive to provide low cost/high speed Internet to this state because there aren't enough people. Similarly, with solar power, the financial incentives are no different than with conventional generating systems, so to think that cheap power would be made available to the poor and the oppressed in abundance is hoping for way too much.  If it won't make the rich richer, it probably isn't going to happen. Not on the scale necessary.

The wealthiest person I currently know spent over $100,000 installing solar panels so that she could run her house and outbuildings on solar. Yet she still has to pay around $50 a month to the power company to be hooked up to the power lines in case her system goes down. Even if she doesn't use a watt. And while in some areas is is possible to sell solar generated electricity from installations like hers back to the power company, they don't do that here, so she's out of luck.

Don't get me wrong. Solar would be wonderful. Granted, that big mirror-powered solar array they have somewhere in the American southwest literally fries every bird that flies over it, but other than that minor detail, it can whip out the power. For people in remote situations, for back-to-the-landers who can't get power otherwise, etc. It is a fine invention. But it isn't ready for prime time, economically/technically, yet the moment it becomes available on a large scale, the powers that be will make sure that those who profit are only them.

I suspect I just became a bigger stick in the mud than Nam.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:51:13 AM »
I made this post on another thread.
And then I thought it is better placed here!!

Invent a better battery and more efficient solar panels. You solve most of the worlds problems in one stroke!

Global warming could be managed.

Terrorist groups like ISIS would lose most of their funding.

World poverty is reduced because more energy is available to provide essential resources in many areas.

With less people worrying where their next meal is coming from they are more likely to be able to find a job and so contribute to the global economy.

I know a dude who is doing his PhD on improving solar panels. Apparently current solar panels only absorb certain frequencies of light and reflect a lot back because they have flat surfaces.
Using nano tech to "grow" uneven surfaces and varying the frequencies of light that can be absorbed will increase the efficiency of solar panels by 30%. Or so the thesis goes.

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »

Until recently (like, you know, last year) it was generally agreed that it took more energy to make a solar panel than it would ever produce in return. This was not a good thing. Now it is generally accepted that they make a bit more than the amount of energy to make them, but until they can make gobs more energy than it takes to produce them, that will be an issue.
That's why if you solved that issue you could make a ton.
Secondly, our current distribution grid for electricity is not capable of handling a solar only, let alone a solar majority generation system. The grid currently has to be watched 24/7 so that every demand, day or night, can be handled. Every time you turn on a light switch or turn off an oven, and immediate adjustment in the output power of the technology producing power has to be made. You can't just pump a hundred thousand amps down the wire and hope that the system will absorb it efficiently. It can't do that. Dams and coal/gas/nuclear powered plants can instantly adjust the output as necessary. Solar, not so much.
That is why I said with improved battery technology you could resolve that problem. The energy from heat waves in California would just be stored in some remote site.
And most importantly, never underestimate the ability of the powerful to distort and overpower even the best intentions of mankind. Just as spammers found ways, via new technology, to eke out a living by being incredibly obnoxious human beings, so too would the already rich find ways to eke out new levels of wealth, at the expense of everyone else.

That is why I put this thread on chatter!

If you don't worry about morals and and you would like to make a trillion make sure you are an insider with the .01% uber-rich and then follow my receipt.

Simple!

You could also make a few million with ideas, just, to improve the industry (if you were not greedy) but to make a trillion you have to go the whole hog.

I suspect I just became a bigger stick in the mud than Nam.
No comment!
God(s) exist and are imaginary