Author Topic: What do you guys do for fun when you're not here?  (Read 1157 times)

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +374/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: What do you guys do for fun when you're not here?
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »
I suppose I have (wrongly) assumed that volunteering at a soup kitchen for 12 hours a day would be what you guys consider fun because it's helping your fellow man.
Do you see the problem skep?

I guess I was wrong.
Yes, you were, and for the exact same reason that you frequently are. After all this time here, you STILL resort to making assumptions as your default response to everything. You would be so much better off if you would STOP MAKING ASSUMPTIONS AND ASK GENUINE, SINCERE QUESTIONS INSTEAD.

Not just here either skep; in all aspects of life, you would be much better off if you would recognize when you are making an assumption and proceed from there KNOWING that you have assumed things that may not be correct, and making the effort to DISCOVER what is true.

This is good advice regardless of theistic tendencies or lack thereof - don't make assumptions, do the work of FINDING OUT.
“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger (4 BC - 65 AD)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +200/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
I guess it all depends on your definition of fun.  I consider fun activities to be entertaining, providing either release or relaxation.  Altruistic activities are a separate category which do not necessarily fall under fun.  Just because someone does not list such things as what they do for fun does not mean they do not participate in those types of things.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +200/-6
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
I don't do enough fun things.  I enjoy painting, drawing, yoga, doing dance exercises with the Wii, going to movies, going for walks either at a nearby Historical Site or at the Walkway Over the Hudson, which is a 1.3 mile bridge, short walks with my dog, playing games on Facebook.  Unfortunately I hardly ever actually do any of these things except games on my laptop because of my headaches.  I tend to expend as little energy as possible and as little concentration as necessary.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1776/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
Saving the world is not fun or relaxing. And the world may not even appreciate it. Just ask the Avengers.  :?

BTW, if god was on his game, the world would not need so much help from us atheists, now would it? Prayers by the true believers would have taken care of all the problems eons ago.
If you have god, why do you need the gun?

Prayer is begging god to change his mind.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +253/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2016, 06:10:21 AM »
Skeptic54678,

I would like to know what you do for fun when you're not here. 
Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man...Thomas Paine

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +133/-610
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
Yes, I do want to apologize to the atheists for saying what I said. My comment was immature and ill-timed.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +392/-86
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »
It would be more meaningful if you didn't keep making the same mistake every time you post.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +913/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2016, 08:46:33 AM »
Yes, I do want to apologize to the atheists for saying what I said. My comment was immature and ill-timed.

k well you're here in this thread now so...
...what do you do for fun when you're not here, skeptic54768?  Genuinely curious.

Like, I know that some people here enjoy writing, some enjoy painting, some have excellent taste in music, others are Rush fans, a few people here watch Game of RamseyBoltonMustDieThrones, some people dress up like Marge Simpson running marathons, etc.  And no, knowing a little something about you isn't a requirement or anything for discussions around here.

But skeptic54768 - you've been around here for a while.  On the order of how long I've been around.  You're part of a community; yes, you're sorta the Jughead of the community around here, but you know what?  He gets a lot of shit; you get a lot of shit; but the gang keeps him around; we keep you around; you keep hanging around; as far as I can tell we want you around.  Yeah, what everyone around here has in common is a desire to discuss topics revolving around concepts like 'religion' or 'god' or 'secularism' or what have you, but we are still just a bunch of people after all.  Weird as it is, you are a part of our lives just as we are a part of your life.  It's a rather small slice to be sure, but it's still kinda there.

All I'm saying is that we don't always have to just argue.  We can talk to each other like regular peoples.

So any interesting hobbies?  Or hell, non-interesting hobbies?  I listen to a lot of music and roast coffee.  You?

Again, not a requirement or anything.  How much you want your real-life to mesh with your online life is up to you.  But random banter like this does help to remind all of us that we're all still just people.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +253/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
Come on Skeppie.  I know you do stuff.   Fishing perhaps?  Bible Study?  Music?  Watch reruns of Loveboat?  Andy Griffith?  Aww watch Star Wars in HD?

I do recall you saying you don't do much.  I remember because it made me sad. :'( 

If you don't want to share that's okay too.  Have to respect that. ;)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +200/-6
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »
I forgot to mention music.  I love music and would like to spend more time listening to music.  I have some decent CDs and I have a Pandora account with a lot of cool stations.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +133/-610
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
I believe that things like "TV, music, movies" don't count because everyone seems to do that stuff. It's hard to "stand out" these days if everyone does the same thing.

Unfortunately, I work 5 days a week and still have work to do from home on the weekends so I am truly behind in the "fun" department.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +200/-6
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »
I believe that things like "TV, music, movies" don't count because everyone seems to do that stuff. It's hard to "stand out" these days if everyone does the same thing.

Unfortunately, I work 5 days a week and still have work to do from home on the weekends so I am truly behind in the "fun" department.

What would you like to do?

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +253/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
I forgot to mention music.  I love music and would like to spend more time listening to music.  I have some decent CDs and I have a Pandora account with a lot of cool stations.

Them new artist impressed the hell out of me the other night on the Billboard Music Awards.  Rhianna knocked it out the ballpark and so did everybody else except Brittany Spears.  I am convinced she lip sank. **thumbs down**  BUT...she looked good.  Very sexy. :o

Madonna sang Nothing Compares To You, written by Prince for Sinead O'Conner at the end in honor of his legacy.   It was cool. 

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +253/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2016, 09:57:05 AM »

But that's why they call it entertainment. ;)  It entertains people so that's a good thing.  Porky's Revenge not so much but man Gravity with Sandra Bullock is worth a try.  Very Very Good dang Movie.  Especially in HD.  The Martian also good flick.

I liked both the new Star Trek movies.  The special effects were brilliant.   Did not care much for the Star Wars movie.

Online jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +913/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »
Don't worry about 'standing out'.  This isn't a contest.

If I recall, both you and I share Rush hatred (k I dunno if hatred is the word you'd use, but I seem to remember that you do not find them to be the cat's pajamas[1]).  What other music do you like?  Do you do things like go to concerts or live shows or performances?  Any that you've particularly enjoyed?  Personally, one of my favorites was one of the last Asobi Seksu shows - I'm a fan of shoegaze music and there is something damn near transcendent about listening to a shoegaze band make your ears bleed in a tiny room with the feedback kicked up to 11.

Yeah the finite nature of time sorta sucks sometimes.  As LoriPinkAngel mentions, there's a corollary question to the "what does one do for fun" - what does one wish they could do for fun?  I've always wanted to visit India but have been unable to.  Frankly I want to do more international travelling just in general.  Anything you wish you could do, but can't due to time and resource constraints?
 1. By-the-by, I also enjoy anachronistic slang.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
I don't do enough fun things.  I enjoy painting, drawing, yoga, doing dance exercises with the Wii, going to movies, going for walks either at a nearby Historical Site or at the Walkway Over the Hudson, which is a 1.3 mile bridge, short walks with my dog, playing games on Facebook.  Unfortunately I hardly ever actually do any of these things except games on my laptop because of my headaches.  I tend to expend as little energy as possible and as little concentration as necessary.

I'm sorry to hear that you are unwell Lori. Are you receiving any treatment that helps with the headaches? Can appreciate why that'd hold you back. Hoping that soon things get better. What kind of music do you like?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:41:51 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »

Doesn't matter if those things don't stand out Skeptic. If those are activities you enjoy then that's totally fair enough!

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
School, work, and three kids (6 years old and under) take up the majority of my time.  I try to find mutually fun things to do with my kids.  I bought a kid's circuit set a few months ago and my second girl loves building anything we can think of with it.  She's also a much better artist than I am so I come up with ideas for her to draw and just love to watch her work.  My oldest girl has a pretty good grasp of math for a 6 year old, so I come up with math problems and help her solve them if she needs me.  My son is the youngest and loves his toy cars and tractors so we sit on the floor and roll them back and forth at each other.  We all go to a park near our house several times a week.  My daughters like to help in the kitchen so I try to find recipes of things they like and we cook together. 

By myself I like going for walks and occasionally play a video game.  Even though I don't play music anymore I still constantly hunt for new music and bands that catch my ear.  I enjoy reading, but find myself starting a book and then not be able to touch it for several weeks as I can get so busy. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1776/-9
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2016, 04:16:03 PM »
Methinks skeptic needs some fun in his life. I think Astreja, eh! and I could put together a package of activities that he would never recover from.....;D

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +527/-53
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
The One Above All is sad that he was left out of that plan.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1776/-9
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
^^^We will start with cosplay-- everyone come as your favorite mythical being. Then we all have a wild dance party with food, drinks, sf movies and Rush music. And finally we will make a big WWGHA puppy pile with skeptic at the bottom. :angel:

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +223/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2016, 05:32:55 PM »
hell, we need to just meet at a good sized con.   I'd say DragonCon but damn that is too big and too little room anymore.  I'll be at GenCon this year if anyone else is. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1776/-9
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »
^^^I meet lots of atheists and other assorted heathens at cons. Cons are probably the biggest unofficially unbeliever gatherings around these days.

Acceptance of everyone. No arguing about religion (except for the StarWars vs Star Trek battles.  No discrimination against any religion or non-religion (I have seen Sikh guys in turbans and Muslim women with their hijabs incorporated into their costumes). And best of all, no hangups about who uses what bathroom.[1]

Cons are the way the world should be.

1. At the last two I went to, religious people picketed and/or set up booths outside to hand us literature telling us all the ways we were going to hell. The JW's were there, as well as some other random Christian fundies. All that acceptance grates on some people, I guess. Or maybe they are just there so they can check out the cool costumes? Some are pretty sexy.  :angel:

Online CrystalDragon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +64/-2
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
I love cons, though honestly I've only ever been to one. :)  I love that idea of cosplaying as mythical beings though, that sounds pretty awesome. Granted since very very few people I know IRL know of my investigations (and by that I mean pretty much one person) and I'm a theist, I probably wouldn't go to a con thing that has strictly a WWWHA group thing.  I do hope to go to ComicCon one day though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:13:35 PM by CrystalDragon »
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +363/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2016, 11:22:44 PM »
I used to do SF conventions, some years ago.  Always wanted to go to WorldCon or GenCon.  My daughter and I were both active in the masquerade and won a few prizes along the way, and I have this cunning plan for a costume if I ever do get back into it:

Rincewind the Wizzard from Discworld, being chased around the stage by a radio-controlled Luggage.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +155/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 12:01:36 AM »
^^^Sounds like an award-winner to me!

For the Discword-impaired, here's who and what's being talked about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincewind

I'm sure you can improve on that, Astreja.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 12:23:32 AM »
When not spending time with family, I like to read, play video games, go for long drives and play badminton or cricket.

Games: Still an old timer, Age of Kings (Conqueror's Expansion) still works for me, Halo Combat Evolved as the FPS, Trackmania Nations as the racing sim, FSX for the Flight Simulator and Strike Suit Zero for Space Combat. Playing Halo CE online with my kid (she just turned 13) is priceless, she yelling from the other room for not providing her with tactical support - accusing me of being old!

Books: Classics, modern fiction (Westerns, Adventure, Legal, Thrillers, Fantasy), philosophy, technology and history

Family time: Wife and kid are artists (painting, craft, RC Aircraft etc.), so a lot of time spent in supporting them. Trine 2 is currently the family video game. Plus the usual stuff like cooking, baking, movies, outings, picnics, visiting friends and other social activities. Of recent, teaching my daughter computer stuff (Raspberry Pi is quite an educational tool) and martial arts (I used to be a black belt in karate decades ago)

And for the record "here" for me is mostly when I am in office. A lot of spare time in the office, one of the perks of being a specialist :)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +223/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 06:20:38 AM »
I used to have a friend who did much with RC aircraft, mainly "can we make this fly?" with his dad.   I guess they got quite a few rather odd things airborne.

GenCon does get the occasional Christian twit protesting and the JWs are always at this one major intersection.  The con is in Indianapolis which has the First Church of Cannabis, which I do hope show up with tracts :) 

For as much as I read, I never got into Discworld.  The animate luggage is a mimic in my D&D flavored world.  :)   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/