Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 1052 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Blue Ruin 8/10
A cast of nobodies does a great job in this thriller.  A meek homeless man seeking revenge gets entangled with his tormentor's family. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »
Rob the Mob 8/10
based on the true story of a couple (Tommy and Rosie Uva) who robbed mafia social clubs in the early 90s and too stupid to realize the inherent danger.  I had low expecations for this one, but it was very good, despite the fact that Ray Romano was in it.  I loath Ray Romano.  But he was a small part and not all that obnoxious.  Michael Pitt was very good as was Nina Arianda.  There were very funny moments in it, but it was not a comedy.  It was well done.

Dredd 5/10
Karl Urban plays the comic book antihero, Judge Dredd.  It felt like a very low budget movie with a very good cast.  The performances and script were good, the effects were decent, but I could not find where $45 million was spent on production.  It mostly took place inside a concrete apartment building. 

It was a standard "cop takes down drug lord" plot, complete with a rookie and corrupt cops working for the drug lord.  Dredd and the rest of the characters could have been replaced by any cops of any genre.  It lacked the feel of a Dredd megacity and it lacked the satire typical of Dredd stories. 

Urban was a believable Dredd and Olivia Thirlby as the rookie Judge gave the best performance in the movie, in my opinion. Lena Heady was very good as the prostitute-turned-drug-lord, Ma-Ma.

Overall, it was a competent film, but there was nothing uniquely Dredd about it.  Worth a rental if you like violent, cop shoot-'em-ups, or as a novelty if you like Dredd.  Have low expections and you will not be disappointed.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
A Million Ways To Die In The West - 4/10

I had heard it got crappy reviews but I was told I'd probably find it funny.  I laughed at a few scenes, but most of the film seemed to center around the same two jokes that weren't funny the first time around.  There are some nice cameo scenes and throwbacks to other films but it just doesn't really come together.  There's some toilet humor for those who like toilet humor, I don't always mind it,[1] but here it just made me roll my eyes.
 1. Hi, Blazing Saddles!
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
Blazing Saddles rulez!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
12 Years a Slave (2013) -- 7/10.

I read the book years ago...I remember it being better than this.

-Nam

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
About Time - Great movie, made me laugh and great cast.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2014, 03:16:45 AM »
The Big Bird Cage (1972)

Sexploitation spoof of girls in prison. I watched it solely because Pam Grier was in it (and she was hawt in it).

It's okay, overall.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 movie
1/10
Based on the tabletop war game, this CGI animated movie was bad in just about every conceiveable way.  The story - which includes cybernetic, genetically enhanced, fanatical supersoldiers fighting demons in the 41st millennium - was actually boring.  Most of the screen time was spent watching them walking toward their objective - an imperial shrine.  It was supposed to be building suspense and terror, but it failed.  The script was almost as bad too.  There was no reason to be attached to any of the ultramarines, so when they got killed, you didn't care.

The CGI was about a decade behind.  Maybe more.  All the faces looked about the same, so it was almost impossible to tell the characters apart.  Fire was not rendered realistically.  The troops walking was not even right.  In some places it looked like the set was an obvious miniature.  It is possible they scanned building pieces from the game rather than construct them in virtual space. 

It was a waste of the talents of Terrence Stamp and John Hurt and a waste of an hour and a half to watch.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
Wanna see something worse? Really, watch The Brittany Murphy Story. I did give it 4/10 but only because I actually watched it from beginning to end, and the beginning started off good but just dwindled from there; though I am actually reconsidering my rating and giving it a 2 or 3/10.

Never mind, I just changed it to 2/10. It truly was awful, here's my review (can't link mine specifically):

"Where is this going..." was my initial thought about 30 minutes in. I like to preface by stating: I am a Brittany Murphy fan, and have 17 of her films on DVD; my favorites being "The Ramen Girl (2008)", "The Dead Girl (2006)", and "Don't Say a Word (2001)".

I do not really care for Lifetime films, mainly because they usually over exaggerate the elements of the characters; whether they are based on real people, or not -- this film is no different.

Everyone has seen this film before because it's the same as every other exposé on a celebrity's life in made-for-television productions. And, in that vein...there's no heart to this film. Whether it focuses on the minute details of Brittany Murphy's life -- the good/bad -- is irrelevant because, like most films of this accord, it primarily focuses on the tragedy of the person's life rather than on their life as a whole.

It starts you off in that vein: "The mysterious death of Brittany Murphy" with a fading voice of "Was she poisoned?" Which, from then on, is the focus of her story; the tribulations in her life: she was the "fat" girl, she's attacked by paparazzi (yet the guardian angel throughout is her future husband as a photographer/paparazzi), everyone is out to ruin her, she's the poor little hurt girl, the best friend since childhood she may have to let go etc.,

Don't get me wrong -- it does show some good moments in her life but it's all mainly in the beginning, and the rest is just one huge drama after another.

The music doesn't help. A cross between elevator music, and what you'd hear in a lackluster bar/pub.

I did come in with low expectations based on past experience in watching these types of films; and perhaps that's a detractor, and then again, perhaps not because the further it got towards the ending the evermore it got over-the-top dramatic. Some lives are dramatic but it seems with these "Hallmark" type films -- that's all they ever are; and that's fantasy.

2/10

-Nam
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:29:41 AM by Nam »

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
Only lovers left alive. 5/10
Tilda Swinton and tom hiddleton are vampires in this Jim Jarmush film.  It was about music, ennui, how we are destroying the environment and polluting ourselves.  It felt like there was a bigger point being made, but I haven't figured it out yet. The performances were great, the film was well done, but it only gets a 5 because I don't feel like I understood it.  Maybe it's genius, maybe it's tripe.  I'm leaning toward genius, but I really don't know.  If an artist cannot clearly communicate his idea to me(or you), it isn't really art.

Just saw it a week ago. 7/10

I agree with the acting being excellent and loved the soundtrack (downloaded it on to my iPod).

What I loved about the main characters was how in spite of the fact that Adam and Eve were both extremely well-versed in various topics due to their centuries of accumulated knowledge (his building his own Tesla-inspired power generator, for example) that instead of using their superior intellects to help make the world a better place, at the end of the day they were just as selfish and self-absorbed much like the majority of the "zombies" he had such disdain for.

I don't think the story was really meant to be that "deep". Imo, it was just how two basically immortal vampires dealt with the same day-to-day drudgery and occasional bouts of depression and self-doubt everybody else goes through from time to time.

Guardians of the Galaxy: 10/10

Saw it twice: 2nd time in 3D on an Imax screen.

I can't remember having this much fun watching a movie in the theaters or the last time seeing the audience applaud at the end.

I felt it succeeded on every level as a comic book adaptation/sci-fi/action/comedy.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
Don't forget satire. I hear talk it's probably the best satirical film of the 21st Century...which is weird since we're only in year 14.

I haven't seen it myself. The nearest cinema to my property (Falmouth, Florida) is about 50 miles away (Valdosta, Georgia).

So, when it's on TMC in a few years, I guess that's when I'll see it or I'll just buy it when it hits stores.

-Nam

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
Don't forget satire. I hear talk it's probably the best satirical film of the 21st Century...which is weird since we're only in year 14.

Really? How so? (I'm honestly curious; it's the 1st I've heard anyone mention this)
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »

Really? How so? (I'm honestly curious; it's the 1st I've heard anyone mention this)

That it's the best satire of the 21st Century, or it's a satire? The former, just talk at the film sites I go to (especially since people are talking Oscars in contention with it), and if the latter; from reviews I've read, they all say it's satire; like Rolling Stone's review to link one source.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2014, 12:14:12 AM »
Virgin Tales (2012) -- 7/10.

It's well made. It's primarily for Conservative Christian Evangelical Republicans. It's about the Wilson family. The father works for The Family  Research Council; and if you know anything about them, they are anti-Liberal/Democrat, anti-gay, anti-anyone not like them.

It focuses primarily on "purity of women". The subservience of women to men, especially when it comes to sex. It rarely touches on the issue for boys/men, and when it does it's more in line with the adage of "Honor thy father", or in this case: the girl's father.

The men are at war against the evil doers (those not like them), they get a "becoming a man" ceremony where they are presented a sword (framed) and "knighted" into Biblegod's Army.

One sentiment I had when I watched this was something Mr. Wilson alluded, [paraphrased] "A world of acceptance, tolerance, and equality is the bane of evil."

It's not an "in your face" documentary but there is only one point-of-view. When an opposite point-of-view is shown, it's shown as pure evil, in implication.

I had to give it a 7/10 because it's effective; especially to who this is aimed at: Evangelical Conservative Republican Christians™ and especially...their children.

Something written at the end I would like to add:

Pledge takers are as likely to have sex before marriage as other teens, but less likely to use condoms or birth control when they do.

Kind of makes you think, in their mind, that one must be more sinful than the other.

-Nam
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:41:38 AM by Nam »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2014, 02:27:59 AM »
RoboCop (2014) -- 6/10.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »
Shake Hands With Danger (1980) -- 8/10.

Not a film but an educational video on construction vehicles and their proper safety use. It was entertaining, educational, and not too silly.

There was a catchy song, I found it on YouTube:

-Nam

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »
The Assets (On NF TV series) about the Aldrich Ames fiasco and how he sold CIA secrets to the Soviets then got away with it for over a decade. The film focuses on two women who were assigned to find a mole in the CIA and were alluded by Ames for quite some time. He (Ames) sold the secrets that got around 20 CIA assets killed by the Soviets not because of ideology, but because his wife had expensive tastes and he was afraid of losing her.
9/10
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »
Oz, The Great and Powerful
6/10
A prequel to the Wizard of Oz.  Well done, but ultimately a little boring and missing *something*.  I just didn't care enough about any of the characters for it to be effective.  While I generally like James Franco a lot, I felt he was completely miscast.  Also, why the heck were the Ruby Slippers not in it? 

I think Wicked - which I also did not like - did a better job as a prequel.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +853/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
^^^I agree. Took the Oz-obsessed kid. Lots of money and f/x on the screen, good meaty female characters for the girl viewer, plus a cute animated doll, but still somehow lacking something.  :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
Oz, The Great and Powerful
6/10
A prequel to the Wizard of Oz.  Well done, but ultimately a little boring and missing *something*.  I just didn't care enough about any of the characters for it to be effective.  While I generally like James Franco a lot, I felt he was completely miscast.  Also, why the heck were the Ruby Slippers not in it? 

I think Wicked - which I also did not like - did a better job as a prequel.

Right there with you on that one. I found it boring.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +853/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Just saw an old black and white Gregory Peck movie, Keys of the Kingdom 7/10. It was his second film, made in 1944. What was so wonderful about this movie is the enlightened portrayal of, well everything. Gregory is a young Catholic priest sent to convert the heathens in China circa 1870's. Sounds unpromising, right?

And I expected a movie full of unconscious racism, religious propaganda and mystical claptrap that would make me cringe[1]. Instead there was respect and humor about the cultural and religious differences, a realistic portrayal about the difficulties (and even wisdom) of trying to change people from a much older belief system, and, best of all, an atheist (played by Uncle Billy from the aforementioned IAWL) who was friendly, funny, nice, and perhaps most significantly for the time period of the 1940's did not convert on his deathbed! Fans of the tv series Kung Fu will recognize younger incarnations of at least two of the old martial arts masters from that show.

I did not give it more stars because the pace was slow and the acting was kinda wooden. But definitely worth a look-see. Especially if you are a Gregory Peck fan--he's building up to Atticus Finch here and you can see it!
 1. a la the popular Jimmy Stewart vehicle It's a Wonderful Life
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2014, 04:13:23 AM »
Safe in Hell (1931) -- 6/10.

Wanted to like this more since it's directed by William A.Wellman (The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Wings (1927), Yellow Sky (1948)), and  Dorothy Mackaill (Shore Leave (1925)) but, though good (pre-code) it just was slightly above average. The fact a "white" woman is on an island of bad guys (and non-whites) probably would've been heavily edited during the Hays era.

It's not too long, so no dragging. Some good music, and acting by the "fugitives".

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
Pariah (2011) -- 8/10.

About a girl trying to basically figure out who she is, and where that would lead to.

I thought it could have been as strong as the short (from 2007) but it carried well in its own vein.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2014, 12:42:13 AM »
Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974 (2009) -- 7/10.

The only thing I didn't like was the pace. It just dragged from one scene to the next.

Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1980 (2009) -- 8/10.

Enjoyed this one more than the first. A little more of everything.

Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1983 (2009) -- 8/10.

Good series, overall.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (2005) -- 2/10.

I can't believe Robert Rodriguez wrote/directed this awful movie.

-Nam