Author Topic: Prince has died.  (Read 341 times)

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1742/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Prince has died.
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »
I did not see anyone else posting on this.

Back in my fashion design days, I saw Purple Rain in a huge crowd of gay men including a good friend who later died of AIDS. Prince was the funky soundtrack that helped us survive the Reagan 1980's. In the fancy fashion store where I worked, we played his Purple Rain album constantly, our only concession to the old fogie rich customers who acted like they owned us, was turning it down when Darling Nikki came on. When Doves Cry is one of the best pop songs of all time.

Prince was pretty and sassy and made gender bending look normal. He was a musical genius who could play anything. When asked what it felt like to be the world's greatest guitarist, Eric Clapton reportedly replied, "I don't know. You'll have to ask Prince."

And, by all accounts, he was nice. Generous, too; sending money anonymously to the families of kids killed by police.

We will miss you, purple one.  :'(
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +144/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Prince has died.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:27 PM »
Dangit, another cultural touchstone of my generation gone. He will be missed, indeed.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
He will definitely be missed.  Gone much too young. 
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline frogkids35

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »
Yup, my heart is heavy for this death. He was awesome, both musically and personally. That guy sang half of the soundtrack to my youth. When Doves Cry.... oh my god, don't even get me started on all that song has meant to me.
At least we have him in our hearts and our radios still.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +514/-53
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:13:56 AM »
What did he die of? Wikipedia states he had flu-like symptoms, but he was only 57 years old, and he attended a party. People who can die of the flu don't attend parties when they get the flu; they feel like crap and stay in a hospital. This seems odd, to say the least.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +854/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:59 AM »
I'm perhaps the only one but, as unfortunate as anyone's death is, I cannot recall any of his songs and have never seen him perform. What I did hear about him tended to indicate that he was narcissistic and believed his own publicity. "The artist formerly known as Prince is now former."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1742/-9
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »
Wanted to add that Prince, an icon for gays and counter culture types, considered himself to be a Jehovah's Witness.[1] I guess some people are way better at compartmentalizing than I am. How can you put on tight purple satin pants, platform shoes,  and eye makeup and sing lyrics like Darling Nikki, and then sit in the Kingdom Hall hearing about how Jehovah will destroy all the worldly people at Armageddon?

I remember back in the day my father telling me that the JW's never approved of MJ, his crotch-grabbing, suggestive dancing and so forth. If they thought MJ was "suggestive", I can only imagine what they thought of Prince. ;D
 1. Also the supremely weird plastic surgery-and-drug addicted Michael Jackson, and the very conflicted Teresa Graves, who danced in skimpy go-go outfits on Laugh-In.

Online mrbiscoop

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-3
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »
I'm perhaps the only one but, as unfortunate as anyone's death is, I cannot recall any of his songs and have never seen him perform. What I did hear about him tended to indicate that he was narcissistic and believed his own publicity. "The artist formerly known as Prince is now former."

I liked one or two of his songs from the early/mid '80s but otherwise saw him as more sizzle than steak.
So you're gonna go out there, drink your drink, say "Goodnight, I've had a very lovely evening", go home, jerk off. And that's all you're gonna do.
     -Vincent Vega

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +293/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »
He was an extremely talented musician, there is no doubt about that. Just dig up some of his live performance videos on YouTube.

The autopsy is completed, but the investigation continues, and toxicology work could take several weeks. There was no visible trauma, according to police. He was found in an elevator by friends who could not get a response from him overnight. Regardless of the circumstances, he was far too young to lose his life.

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +382/-85
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 06:36:15 PM »
Good musician I guess  but I detested the little jerk.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +293/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »
Good musician I guess  but I detested the little jerk.

Well, that's nice. Why, specifically? Did you know him?

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +382/-85
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:55:55 PM »
I can tell by the way he looks. hate those weedy androgynous types that get all the hot chicks.

Anyhoo irrelevant now. thanks for the music RIP.
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +154/-1
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/DJJayTre/videos/1019733794773492/

Not sure whether the link will work, but I saw this posted on Facebook earlier...If everything this guy says is true, then there was a lot about Prince which was truly admirable aside from his music (which, to be honest, I was never a huge fan of, but did appreciate his talent).

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +217/-32
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 12:51:20 AM »
Just found out that Prince was a Jehovah's Witness and that there were several Presidents of the US before George Washington.

Interesting clip.

Death, like Life, is bound to happen sooner or later. Either way, we have little choice in the matter.

Offline frogkids35

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 05:42:06 PM »
^^^ uhhhh, I'm not all that impressed by Prince in this video. Eight presidents before Washington??? Huh? Chem trails and everyone starts fighting? I'm obviously not up to date on my conspiracy theories.

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1742/-9
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »
Prince was a very good musician and talented entertainer. He influenced popular culture and, for better or for worse, made the likes of Lady Gaga and Nikki Menaj and Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake possible. He was a flashy dresser. He did some good things with his money and helped some causes he thought were important. He died 30 years too young for an American male of his age cohort and background.

And he probably believed some pretty strange things, being a person with the kind of compartmentalized brain that let him be a practicing JW and also do what he did did in the studio and on stage.

I am not sure why people look to celebrities with limited education for coherent information about world affairs, politics, science, history or any other subject outside their field of expertise that requires serious study.

I know a lot about global issues, political science, human history and international development. I know almost nothing about composing music, advanced math, chemistry, engineering or astrophysics. I would sound like an idiot if asked to comment in detail on the mathematical calculations needed to land a rover on Mars, why plastic is toxic to the environment, or how to write a song that will be a hit.  Similarly, Richard Dawkins is an expert on evolutionary biology. He is not an expert on women in politics, feminism or gender studies and sounds like an idiot when he comments on those topics.

Prince, like most people, sounded like a complete idiot when he talked about topics he had no expertise in. And, like many people with little formal education, he believed stuff that is not accurate or true. Surprise, surprise.  :?

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +382/-85
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 07:23:23 PM »
Yeah I could never understand why so many people think that because someone spent years alone in their room perfecting guitar riffs or they sing good makes them an authority on anything other than guitar riffs or singing.

When asked about politics KISS said something like ... we started  a band to get chicks.....
some skepisms,

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +217/-32
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 08:50:57 PM »
^^^ uhhhh, I'm not all that impressed by Prince in this video. Eight presidents before Washington??? Huh? Chem trails and everyone starts fighting? I'm obviously not up to date on my conspiracy theories.

In a sense, I guess it all boils down to the details and how much people want to equivocate but there were several people who served as President before George Washington. The major distinction being that George Washington was the first President to hold that office under the current constitution.

According to Wiki there were more than eight. Time served was anywhere from 5 days to 890 days.

Whomever made this video is making some pretty bold claims as well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:52:36 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
Death, like Life, is bound to happen sooner or later. Either way, we have little choice in the matter.

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1742/-9
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 12:35:36 AM »
Yeah I could never understand why so many people think that because someone spent years alone in their room perfecting guitar riffs or they sing good makes them an authority on anything other than guitar riffs or singing.

When asked about politics KISS said something like ... we started  a band to get chicks.....

People used to ask the Beatles to comment on all sorts of topics, and their answers often got them in trouble. Likewise, Oprah and Gwyneth Paltrow are not experts on health care. Yet, they make statements about immunizations or mad cow disease based on what they saw on the internet or what vitamins they take, and people follow what they say. Dr. Oz is a quack.

Meanwhile people are "skeptical" when there is a real scientific consensus about something. It is crazy.

Offline frogkids35

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
Well, now, maybe Prince knew a little about what he was talking about. I read a little about it. There were "presidents" before Washington, but they were more officially leaders of the continental Congress, since this was before we had officially become the United States of America, with our Constitution, detailing the presidency. So maybe it's a matter of semantics or being nitpicky. But under our constitution, Washington was still the first, so it's not like we've been taught wrong, just maybe incomplete.
...the Chem trails though.... :o
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:11:31 AM by frogkids35 »

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1742/-9
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »
Like I said, people are able to compartmentalize. Most of us are smart and rational about some things and dumb and irrational about other things.[1]

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some opinions are better than others. Like, based on factual evidence. The president thing is semantic and nitpicky, if correct. The chem trails? Not so much. Even the people who swear up and down that governments are putting drugs in airline fuel (or whatever the latest story is) are not wearing gas masks, or even those paper things people with colds wear in Asia. Next time someone tells me something about chem trails I will ask them where I can get a gas mask and if they want me to get them one, too.  &)
 1. I stubbornly refuse to give up on democracy, the idea that people should be able to have a say in how they are governed. The real world keeps on proving me wrong, as time after time people march into the voting booth and choose terrible, uninformed, uneducated, ignorant leaders and vote for social policies that screw them over. Or more likely, refuse to vote at all and let people even less capable choose for them.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +217/-32
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
Well, now, maybe Prince knew a little about what he was talking about. I read a little about it. There were "presidents" before Washington, but they were more officially leaders of the continental Congress, since this was before we had officially become the United States of America, with our Constitution, detailing the presidency. So maybe it's a matter of semantics or being nitpicky. But under our constitution, Washington was still the first, so it's not like we've been taught wrong, just maybe incomplete.

Quite right. It's just a shame that it took the death of a great musician to clue a few of us in on this one aspect of our nation's history. If it wasn't for a curious mind and access to the internet...I would still be very ignorant[1] about our government before the constitution.[2]

...the Chem trails though.... :o

Sorry...can't hear you over the sound of Purple Rain.
 1. And blithely so
 2. Now I am just slightly less ignorant.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:28:25 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +57/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »
I did not see anyone else posting on this.

I would have said something, but have been on a posting break recently!

I heard about this too. Is a shame. :( Never listened to lots of his music, but nevertheless I have the idea he was very talented and of course he was only 57. Poor guy. :(

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1742/-9
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »
The JW connection renders his life a ready-made movie biopic. Like Tom Cruise and Scientology.

Best quote seen re Prince: "He was the only guy who could steal your girlfriend, steal her clothes, and then steal another guy's girlfriend-- while wearing your girlfriend's clothes."

And then write a hit song where he sings about doing it.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1055/-36
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
I notice no medical authority has confirmed an HIV positive diagnosis for Prince.  Tabloids can say anything they want now that Prince has died and he can't sue them.  We will probably never know the full truth unless the autopsy reports are publicized.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +57/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 05:30:49 AM »
Had a bit of hassle trying to access that second link, but was able to check out that first. Thanks for sharing Screwtape. Wow, first time I've ever heard of the guy being a Jehovah's Witness! And if he truly died from Aids, guess it's not so surprising he died at 57. :(

Still, very good point/well spotted LoriPinkAngel. Seeing as no medical authority has also confirmed this story as fact, we can't be sure this is true.