Author Topic: Gun Fails  (Read 25922 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
Re: Gun Fails
« Reply #871 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
I came under a lot of criticism awhile ago for my then stance on corporal punishment and I must be getting old or something, but I can't see me hitting a child again. I was spanked quite a bit as a kid and will never fault my parents for it because they never went overboard with it, but the fucking principal and a few teachers did and seemed to wear paddling like some fucking badge of honor and courage. Some courage it takes to beat someone else's kid for minor infractions.
Truth be told I was an obnoxious little shit so I get why my mom did it, but the school just went apeshit over their power graps and quite literally terrorized kids over really petty shit. I was beat with a wood paddle in 6th grade because a friend and I were tossing pebbles no further than 3 or 4 feet into a  plastic bowl. The reasoning for the beating was we were throwing rocks. To this day I hate that sadistic fuck. They once named the school after him, but enough former students raised hell and now it has the old name back.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +889/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #872 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »
^^^Yeah we have been around and around on this and I don't want to derail the thread into corporal punishment[1].

I was far from an obnoxious little sh!t. I was a good kid, responsible, over-intellectual and bookish. Yet, I was regularly beaten, slapped, punched, kicked, pinched to the point of breaking the skin (when in public and more overt violence would draw attention) hair pulled, glass of water thrown in face, head knocked into a cabinet, etc.

My mother was not an ignorant, uneducated person; on the contrary, she was an award-winning schoolteacher with a master's degree in special education. I now realize, after years of therapy that none of it was my fault--she was mentally ill and just plain hated me.

And to get this back onto the topic, she owned a gun. A loaded gun that she had hidden in the house. And she never had any classes or training in safety measures or even how to use it at all. How many people here think that her owning a gun was a good idea?  :?
 1. which I am completely against, putting me at odds with most other black folks my age, but so does being an atheist and being married to a white man, so what else is new?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #873 on: September 19, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
Gun rights advocate spotted outside Metro school

@ 1:35

Educate the children that guns aren't dangerous ...

Ya know, he's right. Guns aren't dangerous. They're only used to kill people. How dangerous is that?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #874 on: September 19, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
Guns don't kill people ... People kill people ...

Florida Town Knew Shooter Had Troubled Past

The patriarch, Don Spirit, who police say killed his daughter and six grandchildren before committing suicide, served time a decade ago after he accidentally shot his son to death during a hunting trip. His daughter Sarah Lorraine Spirit was on probation at the time she was killed. Two men who fathered her slain children are locked up.

Let's consider for a moment that without access to guns, the citizens of Florida may have had to shoulder the burden of raising six children. With guns, the whole family is gone. Ergo, guns are a tool for reducing state budgets.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #875 on: October 08, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »
this is AWESOME

Open Carry jackwad has his gun stolen by concealed carry thief.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-man-openly-carrying-new-gun-robbed-by-man-with-gun/

A 21-year-old Oregon man was proud enough of his brand new Walther P22 handgun that he was carrying it in the open during the wee hours of Saturday morning after purchasing it earlier in the day.

Police say another young man in grey sweatpants, a white t-shirt and flip-flops then approached and asked for a cigarette, according to CBS affiliate KOIN in Portland.

William Coleman was then told by the man in flip-flops: "I like your gun. Give it to me."

The robber then produced a gun of his own from his sweatpants' waistband, police say.

Coleman handed over the gun and the man fled on foot.

It would be cool if this became a thing.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +889/-6
« Reply #876 on: October 08, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
^^^Funny how that never happens to gun-toting bada$$ heroes like Indiana Jones, James Bond, Ahhnold, Clint or Sly. Oh yeah, I forgot, that was the movies. The script didn't say that the hero gets robbed of his gun by some random punk with a gun.

The benefit and drawback of open carry is that everyone knows you have a gun. And, in real life, there's always someone bada$$ier and crazier than you.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #877 on: October 09, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
I think the moral of the story - and please pardon me for repeating this ad nauseum - is that a gun does not make you safer or more secure.  In this case it made the "good guy" with a gun a target.  Gun guys seem to think it plays out where they have time to whip out their gun and shoot the baddie.  But in reality, by time they realize they are being robbed, it's too late for that. 

He's very lucky the thief didn't just shoot him.  That's what often happens in a robbery when the victim has a gun, because it is safer for the robber.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +889/-6
« Reply #878 on: October 09, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »
May I add my own ad nauseum? People believe they can tell who a criminal is, but they really can't. In movies we all know who the baddie is because he is ugly, acts creepy, the music gets ominous and the camera angles change.

IRL, the baddies look and act pretty much like everyone else, right up until they do the crime. There is really no way to tell that someone is a potential criminal, because they are not a criminal until they do the crime![1]

I have had this argument with pro-gun people after a public shooting. They insist that having more people armed will be a good defense against the random crazies who shoot up schools and malls. But when you break it down, there is no way that can work.

Consider: You hear shots and run into the school hall or middle of the shopping mall with your gun out. You see a guy with a gun. Do you shoot him? How do you know he is not another hero wannabe, just like you, who came running out looking for the bad guy-- who has already fled the scene? How do you know he is not a plain clothes cop also looking for the bad guy? How do you know if the shooter is not a guy at all but a woman? How do you know if there are several shooters, not just one?

Answer--you don't know.

Having a gun may make you feel safer, but that is an illusion. It may make you do stupid things you would never do if you did not have a gun, like confront armed crazies.[2]

Witnesses sometimes identify the wrong person. The police and security guards mistakenly target innocent people who looked or acted "in a suspicious manner". Adding more guns to an already chaotic scenario guarantees more innocent people will be shot.

The only real way to be more secure is to do the touchy-feely liberal things that more peaceful countries have, and that conservatives hate: give people with mental or drug problems access to counselors; have programs for disaffected youth; give veterans good services; give folks who get fired or lose their jobs some income and health care; in other words, have a social safety net to catch people who might otherwise "go postal" with a gun or try to commit "suicide by cop".

And, as long as we in the US plan on letting pretty much any untrained person have as many guns as they can buy, maybe we should keep an eye on people who seem to be getting antisocial and are stocking up on weapons.[3]
 1. Even if it was possible (say with some sophisticated gadget) to read someone's mind, at the last second they could decide not to go through with the crime. But meanwhile, in that second, you have shot them. Because they were thinking about robbing you....
 2. In a recent case, the armed hero, trying to get to a shooter, pushed right past one of the two crazy shooters, a woman. She shot and killed the armed hero. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Las_Vegas_shootings
If he had not had a gun, he probably would be alive today.
 3. The Las Vegas couple who shot five people had multiple weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammo!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #879 on: October 16, 2014, 03:59:01 AM »
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_26738194/milwaukee-police-fire-officer-who-shot-man-park

"There's got to be a way for us to hold ourselves accountable absent putting cops in jail for making mistakes," he said.

If he shot him once maybe twice then I could understand this point-of-view but he shot him 14 times. That's not an accident, that's not self-defense, that's vicious and murder, in my opinion.

He was a homeless schizophrenic man. He didn't follow the procedure he was trained for in dealing with ill people, and whether the man got his baton, 14 shots doesn't excuse such action.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:00:35 AM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #880 on: October 16, 2014, 07:43:54 AM »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #881 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
the Rude Pundit had a great post linking Gamergate and guns.  I cannot post it, because RP is blocked for me. 

However, the gist is Anita Sarkeesian was supposed to do a talk at the Utah State University.  They received threats that someone would do a mass shooting an bombing if they allowed her to go on.  She was willing, but wanted some basic security.  When she asked them if people would be allowed to carry weapons into the talk, they said, "of course", because, you know, it's fricken Utah.  Then they tried to blame it on Utah state law, which is a lie.  Guns are legally prohibited in plenty of places there, like Utah Jazz basketball games, because it just makes sense.

NYTimes reporting on it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/technology/gamergate-women-video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html

a local fox news does a better job covering the event
http://fox13now.com/2014/10/15/anita-sarkeesian-speaks-out-after-canceling-appearance-due-to-death-threats-utahs-gun-laws/
According to Salt Lake City defense attorney Greg Skordas, the university would have been within their legal rights to restrict firearms to the specific location, given the threats.

edits in blue
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:10:06 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #882 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
Belatedly, the second a third teachers had gun accidents at school

#2 was an elementary school in Utah.  Shot herself through her leg.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58402182-78/horsley-teacher-district-elementary.html.csp

#3 was a retired FBI agent at DuPage and just discharged his gun in class.
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141003/news/141009335/
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials