Author Topic: I'm Sad  (Read 215 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I'm Sad
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
I've gone 37 years, in a family (parents, siblings, uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins) where everyone wears glasses, and I don't. I'm sort of a freak in my family because of that. The only one who didn't require glasses. Good eyesight.

I found out today I am nearsighted and I need glasses. It's not that anything is blurred, or double vision, or anything. Just slightly out of focus.

That sucks.

I'm sad.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: I'm Sad
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »
Soon, all will wear glasses. Resistance is futile.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
Soon, all will wear glasses. Resistance is futile.

I know, I know.

:(

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
Finding out I needed them a few years ago was disconcerting to me, too. My sympathies, for what they're worth.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
Finding out I needed them a few years ago was disconcerting to me, too. My sympathies, for what they're worth.

Thanks, man. It's just so awful.

-Nam

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
...They're just glasses. It won't kill either of you, nor will it make you less human. At least you can take them off. Many of us can't without losing the ability to clearly perceive things more than an inch away from our noses.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
...They're just glasses. It won't kill either of you, nor will it make you less human. At least you can take them off. Many of us can't without losing the ability to clearly perceive things more than an inch away from our noses.

I know. But let me sulk. I'll do it for a day then be over it.

I'm thinking of getting Buddy Holly glasses.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »
When I was a kid, I had better than 20-10 vision. But when I got in to my 40's, things started going downhill. I remember being absolutely stunned that I couldn't read exit numbers on road maps any more. I thought the maps were faulty. Twenty years later, I need glasses for both close-up and distance stuff. I could get bifocals but I didn't like them when I had 'em.

I too was both shocked and saddened when I found out my eyes were going. I felt like crap for a few days, then started getting gradually better. Now I take it for granted that if I want to see anything clearly, I'm gonna have to put on my specs.

You'll get over it. Its not like you've forgotten how to be an asshole or anything. You're still you. I certainly empathize, but in my experience, the situation is survivable, and in this world, that's about the best you can hope for.

Oh, and the Buddy Holly glasses? They got squished in the crash.  ;D

Too soon?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Oh, and the Buddy Holly glasses? They got squished in the crash.  ;D

Too soon?

He died 55 years ago so...no.

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Glasses can lend a look of intelligence. I want photos ASAP to compare with previous photos.

8) ;D
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
Glasses can lend a look of intelligence. I want photos ASAP to compare with previous photos.

8) ;D

My eye doctor is in Georgia, I live in Florida, it'll be awhile. I was told not to be on my phone too much but that ain't gonna happen. I just keep it a foot away from me, and I dimmed the light on it.

-Nam

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 12:23:57 AM »
Just remember ... in Soviet Russia you don't wear the glasses, the glasses wear you.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
Just remember ... in Soviet Russia you don't wear the glasses, the glasses wear you.

I'll remember that the next time i'm in Soviet Russia.

-Nam

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
Welcome to the club. I've been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old. I can hardly see without them. I tried contacts a few years ago but I kept on getting eye infections so I stopped wearing them. Something about my eyes not being able to tear up properly, or something like that.

You'll get used to them. Just do your best to ignore that itch on the bridge of your nose.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +388/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »
Just remember ... in Soviet Russia a world post-Google Glass you don't wear the glasses, the glasses wear you.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:34 AM »
I found out I'm not not nearsighted, misdiagnosed. It's something else, not important at this time but I just found out something that made me sad again: I have DISH, and there's no more TCM.

I DVR everything. I never watch regular TV, and most of what I DVR is movies on TCM. I watch TCM more than any other channel.

Now, I do have 83[1] movies DVR'd before the channel was expired/non renewed by DISH (something about it costing a lot more now) but I will watch those all in the next two weeks -- then what am I going to do? I do have the classic Encore channels but they don't have what TCM has, and the FOX Movie Channel is crap compared to Encore and TCM.

I am so depressed. :(

-Nam
 1. actually 106 but 23 of those are ones I keep in a Group marked "Movies I Want"

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
Lazar vision.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +904/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
I have been wearing glasses since age 11, and let me tell you those were some butt-ugly mofos back them. Light blue. Plastic. Cat-eye shape.[1]

Now I am old, and have to wear, get this, TRI-effing-FOCALS, otherwise known as "progressive lenses".

That makes them sound like your glasses give you well-funded schools, free health care, clean energy and good public transportation. But no. Hell no. It just means that a) I can't wear the cute little stylish frames, and b) I can't see a damn thing, near far or in between.

I have to wear them to drive or I will kill people, especially at night or in bad weather. I have to take them off to eat dinner or I can't see what's on my plate. And to read anything on my phone or on the computer screen, I have to keep bobbing my head up and down like Ted Haggard at a weenie roast.

I don't want to hear any complaining from the lot of you.  :P
 1. Add in my buck teeth and skinny olive oyl body and-- you are already screaming, aren't you?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
Well, I'm not nearsighted as I was told, it's something much worse and glasses won't help. I don't wanna talk about it. I mean, it was one thing when I needed glasses, that wasn't too personal, but I don't really like talking about my personal life unless some moron says something where I have to interject with my own life.

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
That's cool, Nam.  But if and when you are ready to share I am sure many here would be willing to be with you.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
That's cool, Nam.  But if and when you are ready to share I am sure many here would be willing to be with you.

There's going to be an orgy?

Well, it all started...

;)

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +904/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
It's always an orgy here at WWGHA-- we are godless immoral atheists, do I need to remind you? Paaaaarrrrrrtaaaaaay!  ;D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »
It's always an orgy here at WWGHA-- we are godless immoral atheists, do I need to remind you? Paaaaarrrrrrtaaaaaay!  ;D

I'll get the lube...

-Nam

Offline Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-2
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
Glasses are like houses, they aren't made of fire.
"God is just and fair"
*God kills 2.5 million of people he KNEW would turn out like this in the flood*
*Humanity turns bad again, when God knew it would*
We should feel guilty for this.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
Glasses are like houses, they aren't made of fire.

Hey! We're talking about orgies...get on the subject!

;)

-Nam