Author Topic: contradicting yr values  (Read 180 times)

Offline eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +195/-56
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
contradicting yr values
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:59:52 AM »
I started thinking about feeding my dogs factory laid eggs, free range eggs are twice the price. I do not have lots of money. I do not generally support unethical and inhumane practices. it is so easy and cheaper sometimes. how many other people betray their own principles.

note: I only bought 12 eggs and have not been able to feed them to my dogs because of the moral dilemma, they only eat human grade food mostly free range 99.9% of the time.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +237/-8
Re: contradicting yr values
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:14:13 AM »
Your dogs eat eggs?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +195/-56
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:21:39 AM »
1 per day, and the shells.

good nutritional value for dogs.
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +148/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
If it bothers you that much maybe you can find some other area where you save to make up for the cost of the eggs.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +457/-110
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »
Go to local farms. There's a chicken farm where I live where you can get 2 dozen eggs for $3.

Go to the source.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +260/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:07:35 AM »
I thought that "free range" was a ruse, anyway. Free range chooks are almost as crap.

Personally I don't eat eggs, and have been more against them since I bumped into the bowel cancer stats.

I would have a moral dilemma owning a dog, and would most likely feed one dog to the other dog, to save the planet's resources. :-)
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +137/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
1 per day, and the shells.

good nutritional value for dogs.

Buy some chickens

Offline eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +195/-56
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
dogs eat the chickens.

"
I would have a moral dilemma owning a dog, and would most likely feed one dog to the other dog, to save the planet's resources. "

ad hom, if you were serious about the saving the planet based on resource issues then you would delete yourself from it.

conclusion; you are not that serious - therefore the dogs stay.
some skepisms,

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +137/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:36:11 AM »
dogs eat the chickens.

They can be trained. I had an Alsatian cross husky that ate my first chicken but was trained not to kill them but to heard them and generally take care of them.
It got to the point where she would pick up the cat and take it away from the chickens when she spotted it stalking them.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +648/-20
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 07:31:57 AM »
I started thinking about feeding my dogs factory laid eggs, free range eggs are twice the price
Is the dog bothered?
... they only eat human grade food mostly free range 99.9% of the time.
Hello... they are dogs - I don't know about yours but mine finds her own vomit quite tasty and considers anything marginally edible to be fair game.
dogs eat the chickens.
Win-win!

I really see the above as one of those "First world problems" that are not problems at all, yet beset those who have "enough". Does anyone really think that either dogs or the 2/3rds of the world who are living at a subsistance level are bothered about where the food comes from or how it is produced?

If you have ethical problems caused by keeping a dog, then you should not have a dog. A dog is not a necessity of life. In fact, if you are at all worried about the world, you should take up Survivalism[1] and be entirely self-sufficient (wear a fig-leaf, eat roots, live in a hole somewhere in the wilderness.... no, skip the hole, digging that would destroy the entire eco-system.

Seriously, if this is the level of your problems, relax and learn to live with them. Once you get rid of the vicarious, liberal guilt, life becomes much easier.

And if you'll excuse me, I am now about to eat lunch which is "Force-fed Roast Kittens marinaded in their Mother's Tears."
 1. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Survivalist
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:39:26 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +233/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:18:36 AM »
I started thinking about feeding my dogs factory laid eggs, free range eggs are twice the price. I do not have lots of money. I do not generally support unethical and inhumane practices. it is so easy and cheaper sometimes. how many other people betray their own principles.

note: I only bought 12 eggs and have not been able to feed them to my dogs because of the moral dilemma, they only eat human grade food mostly free range 99.9% of the time.

I am a vegetarian for both ethical and health reasons. My value/goal in regards to it, for these past 4 years since starting, has been to dramatically decrease my contribution to the amount of unnecessary harm that is done to animals in the name of "business" and human food. Simply put, the way animals are treated absolutely disgusts me. Do I sometimes compromise my values by eating meat? Nope. No fish, no poultry, no beef, no flesh from any conscious creatures. And I don't miss it a bit. However, I sometimes do eat eggs from local farmers. Yet, I do not buy products made with leather and I do my best to abstain from buying other things that I know significantly contribute to unnecessary animal suffering, environmental degradation, and greenhouse gas increases.

In short, I do not find the "all or nothing" arguments convincing at all. In my view, since we humans have the capability of reason, in general, we have the capacity to understand and implement steps toward minimizing unnecessary harm to ourselves, others, and the environment in a reasonable way without getting stuck in the religious type world of all-or-nothing, black or white, thinking. This is something I never even so much as thought about when I was a Christian. Back then it was, "Welp, this fallen world is full of sin and going to hell anyways! More bacon!" 

For the most part, then, I think if the chickens are being treated well then you should be fine. However, factory chickens? Unlikely.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +195/-56
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
GB thanks for relieving me of my guilt feelings.

Median thanks for adding to my guilt feelings.
some skepisms,