Author Topic: Dear Azdgari  (Read 137 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +504/-120
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Dear Azdgari
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:43:02 AM »
I see you quote me in your signature, or whatever. Taking something I said out of context:

Quote from: Nam
...slavery ended because of the Confederacy.

The totality of what I stated:

Quote from: Nam
How long would slavery had existed if the Confederacy didn't exist? 10, 20, 30 years? Less? More? I highly doubt Lincoln would have ended it. The war ended it. Racist Southerners don't blame their side for losing, they don't even blame the US for winning, they blame black people because they see it as: if it weren't for them they wouldn't even had to fight.

Tell me how that is not true? If the Civil War didn't happen, Congress would have done next to nothing to end slavery. I've read varying biographies and histories on the US Civil War since I was a teenager and the basic consensus is that if the Confederacy never existed then slavery would have at least existed to the late 19th Century (around early to mid 1890s). The only reason slavery ended as quickly as it did was because the South seceded, and Lincoln, to keep the Union whole, declared war against the South.

Slavery actually didn't end nationwide until 1868. Lincoln may have used his powers as president to Emancipate the slaves in the seceded states but states apart of the Union that had slaves still had them at the start, during, and after the war.

If the Confederacy never existed slavery would have for, perhaps, many decades after Lincoln became president. As stated: "slavery ended because of the Confederacy".

So "Wha?" that you prick. If you actually took the stick out of your ass and responded to me, you wouldn't have to quote me out of context.

-Nam
Quote from: David Garrett Arnold
there are oceans of words aged in prayer,
against geometric lines, and cloudbeaten skies;
credulous allure—slowly captivated in hearts fair—
trees and flowers bloomed in grace upon one's eyes.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +382/-37
Re: Dear Azdgari
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »
Oh, it's technically accurate, I suppose.  It's accurate in the same sense that "Jews have their own state because of Hitler" is accurate.

It's also very misleading, because it appears to credit the Confederacy with ending slavery.  Just like my parallel above appears to credit Hitler with giving Jews their own state, whereas it's a more remote case of cause-and-effect and not at all a case of intent.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1309/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »
^^^I think I see your point. Both statements are technically true, but it is not a good idea to say them bluntly because you need a lot of context....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +504/-120
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
Oh, it's technically accurate, I suppose.  It's accurate in the same sense that "Jews have their own state because of Hitler" is accurate.

It's also very misleading, because it appears to credit the Confederacy with ending slavery.  Just like my parallel above appears to credit Hitler with giving Jews their own state, whereas it's a more remote case of cause-and-effect and not at all a case of intent.

I'm not crediting the Confederacy for ending slavery,  i'm stating if the Civil War never happened then slavery would have lasted a lot longer than people would think.

Just like if the Revolution didn't happen the US wouldn't have gotten their independence as soon as it did.

Your quote makes me sound like a racist since you took me out of context. You just have that little bit. If you had the whole thing, I wouldn't care but you just have those few words, and I feel you did that on purpose therefore I see you as a prick.

-Nam

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +382/-37
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
No, I really did think you meant that we should be grateful that the Confederacy happened, because without their efforts, slavery might have persisted for longer.

I'll remove the sig, since that's not what you meant.

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +226/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
How does the sig there or not change nam's prickness level?
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-7
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »

Only slightly. Nam doesn't want all of his statements to be considered prickish, just most of them. ;)
Jesus fulfilled many important messianic prophecies. He was a Jewish man born in Bethlehem who rode a donkey in his adult life. Hail the messiah!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +504/-120
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »

Only slightly. Nam doesn't want all of his statements to be considered prickish, just most of them. ;)

Damn straight.

-Nam

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +226/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Don't worry Nam, you will always be a prick to those that know you best.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?