Author Topic: Sexism in media  (Read 454 times)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
Re: Sexism in media
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 06:48:41 AM »

To make along story even longer … haven’t seen Black Panther yet (hell, only just watched Logan … can’t afford to go to the movies) but apparently, there’s a scene where T’chala’s sister addresses a Caucasian man as ‘colonizer’.

The relevant part of that is him being white, not male.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +169/-2
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Good point. While I have yet to see white guilt directed at white women, I guess it also happens to women.

2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +553/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
What show was that?
It was an episode of Friends, when Ross and Rachel hired a 'manny' for their baby. Uh... Freddie Prinz Jr, maybe?

This was really common during the 80's, as memory serves. It sorta got more subtle in the years since, but it's not gone, not by any stretch of the imagination. It's just changed it's costume a little.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +117/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »
I remember in one of my psychology classes from the early 80s, we explored how tv commercials exploited men by showing a woman doing a man's job. One the classes strongest conclusions was they were trying to embarrass men into doing the job.

Official Conclusion: "It so easy a women can do it." A big hit to masculinity.
Mankind is not likely to salvage civilization unless he can evolve a system of good and evil which is independent of heaven and hell.

George Orwell

When you believe in things you don't understand
Then you suffer
Superstition ain't the way

Offline magicmiles 2.0

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-30
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 12:39:46 AM »
2) the female plumber acted EXACTLY like a male plumber ...

Flashed some bum crack when she bent low over the pipes?

Guys doing typically female jobs ... a cousin who's an orderly

Interesting - it's the other way around here.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +553/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
I remember in one of my psychology classes from the early 80s, we explored how tv commercials exploited men by showing a woman doing a man's job. One the classes strongest conclusions was they were trying to embarrass men into doing the job.

Official Conclusion: "It so easy a women can do it." A big hit to masculinity.

We looked at ads from that time period in one of my rhetoric classes - jaw-dropping shit from my own childhood that I remembered seeing. Looking back as an adult, the immobility of the gender roles shown was a bit of a shock.

And yeah, the worst insult you can deliver to a boy is to say he does fill-in-the-blank 'like a girl'.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +169/-2
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2018, 05:19:29 AM »
This ...

It seems that these days strong woman = man with vagina
That's both sexist to men AND women.
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +354/-39
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »

So, what does it mean when someone tells me to be a man or to man up?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:01:40 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +169/-2
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 06:55:28 AM »
So, what does it mean when someone tells me to be a man or to man up?

Funny how the media seem to skip over that one, isn't it.
It means that you should be strong ... except that present day media tells us men are weak and women are strong ... ain't that right, Steven Moffat ... who used (almost) that exact line in the 2011 Dr Who Christmas special.
Maybe it means to provide for your family ... no, can't be that either, men are chastised for taking women's places in the workplace and for daring to work long hours to bring home some extra cash.
Oh, I know, it's having a stiff upper lip! Be staunch in the face of adversity! And end up divorced because you don't show emotion enough.

So, Mr. Blackwell ... can't help you. I have no idea what that phrase means.

Somewhat related story ... my daughter had recently seen Gladiator and commented on how out of shape Russell Crowe is these day. And then she commented, "Well, at least now he can do comedy movies"
Ha ... why is it that fat guy = funny? Let's all laugh at the fat guy! Why is that?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +475/-40
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
I feel like the phrase might be able to be redeemed to mean "man vs boy" rather than "man vs woman".
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.