Author Topic: List of logical fallacies  (Read 49 times)

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +497/-14
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
List of logical fallacies
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
This one is pretty comprehensive, and uses examples that are often more true to life than most similar lists I've seen. It also put names to some fallacies that I was familiar with, but couldn't explicitly identify. It includes other common names by which the fallacy is otherwise identified. At times, the wee-est little bit of snark comes in.....

Overall, pretty darn good: Logical Fallacies
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +117/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: List of logical fallacies
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:05:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing Jag. Good to be aware of that list! ;-)

Although, I am wondering how anyone (without a naturally excellent learning and memory ability) can learn all of those! I have a tough enough time consistently remembering the 10 main cognitive distortion types I learned (though I’ve learned it by heart pretty well by now) hehe. I’d probably be okay with trying to learn something another ten or twenty of them but not sure I can do much better than that.

And there’s 146 of these to get to grips with here!

Have you found a way that works for you out of interest? :-)

It is very interesting to check out though. I’ve always found this kind of thing interesting ever since first learning about common cognitive distortion types commonly associated with anxiety and depression back around 2007/2008 time.

One of these that jumps out at me here is the “Trust Your Gut” fallacy:

Trust your Gut (also, Trust your Heart; Trust Your Feelings; Trust your Intuition; Trust your Instincts; Emotional Reasoning): A corrupt argument from pathos, the ancient fallacy of relying primarily on "gut feelings" rather than reason or evidence to make decisions. A recent (2017) Ohio State University study finds, unsurprisingly, that people who "trust their gut" are significantly more susceptible to falling for "fake news," phony conspiracy theories, frauds and scams than those who insist on hard evidence or logic. See also Deliberate Ignorance, the Affective Fallacy, and The "Third Person Effect."

I will say that here, regarding my personal experience with people, that whenever I’ve had a strong gut feeling that something is really off about a person when they’ve interacted with me that I’ve tended to be right more often than not at least.

This really does seem to be an ability I picked up as a child.

Although, that said, I will say that accurately picking up on something being off/wrong/aggressive about someone is one thing and making an accurate conclusion on why is another.

It has happened with me before, more than once, that I’ve correctly and fast picked up on an aggression problem from somebody but have then blown things up out of proportion from there I.e having strong suspicious thoughts that they are a narcissist or psychopath when - at best - I had no way to know if they were or not and didn’t have enough by of the right critical thinking ability/people knowledge to get these thoughts/ideas into better perspective.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:09:14 AM by Emma286 »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +368/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:18:18 AM »
I think you don't need to known each fallacy, but just the basics of critical thinking.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +117/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:38:06 PM »
Good point!