Author Topic: Hi :)  (Read 531 times)

Offline Brenda

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hi :)
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
Hello everyone.

Quick intro: I'm a 40 something married mom of 4. Raised catholic, stopped drinking the kool aid about 5 years ago. Slowly over the past year I have come to the conclusion that there is no god and it has been the most freeing thing in my life. I finally put down that bag of brick I have been carrying around!

Very much enjoying reading the forums. Such knowledge and intelligence, it's some what intimidating! I'm just a little Florida redneck and I'm sure I'll lurk more than post!

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Re: Hi :)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »
Welcome!
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
Weclome to the forums. Don't worry about being intimidated. Everyone has a unique view to contribute, if they're willing to share it, and yours is as welcome as anyone elses. Feel free to post as you desire. We do bite on occasion but I promise we won't break the skin.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
Welcome Brenda!

Please contribute, fresh perspectives, and even old ones that are repeated are always appreciated!  Not to mention that it is important for theists to hear the stories of those who have finally broken free from the delusion that is God.

The only way to learn, in my opinion, is to jump in and get a little wet. 

Offline Brenda

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
Thanks everyone

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
Welcome Brenda.  I was Catholic also.  It is so much better to discover rational thought. :)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Positiveaob

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
Welcome Brenda,
I was catholic also, but stopped believing gradually in my teens.  And its been a good twenty years or so now without getting struck with lightning bolts or having any other major misfortunes yet!  There's nothing to be "intimidate" about here.  We represent a broad range of careers and ages and education levels.  You don't need education to have just good old-fashioned common sense.

Hope you stick around!
If you desire peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you would be a disciple of truth, then inquire. - Neitzsche

Support the Military Religious Freedom Foundation!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
Welcome and well done. I have never understood why a loss of faith in gods has been seen as a bad thing. "putting down that bag of bricks" is one of the better descriptions I have seen.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline sammylama

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Look at me and my bad self.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »

Nice to have you here. 

Welcome to the Reality Bus.  Enjoy the ride...   
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
--  Carl Sagan

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
Hello Brenda.

...I have come to the conclusion that there is no god and it has been the most freeing thing in my life.

I've noticed this to be quite a common thing for atheists to say.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »
Welcome Brenda

Don't be shy. We've got good people around here and we have good fun sometimes. Most of us take atheism seriously, but we don't have a code of conduct or anything. We just enjoy trying to talk people out of their pie in the sky. And teasing each other now and then.

We've got lots of members who say little or nothing. Don't be one of them. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the gang as much as I do if you'll just speak out, even if it's only every now and then.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.