Author Topic: Comments [#507]  (Read 594 times)

Offline PostalGirl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Just your friendly neighborhood postal girl!
Comments [#507]
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
Hi ,
I just ran across your site and thought I should take a moment to comment.  First let me
introduce myself,  my name is [Name].  I am a Canadian airline pilot, 49yrs old,
married with two great children.  I grew up in a lightly(my term) religious (United)
family.  We celebrated religious holidays , Christmas, Easter, went to church on
occasion, but that was it.  God was not really ever spoken of.  My parents were great
people and loving parents.  They served their countries in WW2 and raised happy and
healthy children.  I suspect they only payed lip service to God as a matter of custom.

My wife and I too played this game.  I did enjoy going to church IF the minister was a
good orator, speaking of the issues of the day in general, not too biblical terms.  I am,
or at least I like to think I am, a rational person.  Over the years I have found it
harder and harder to buy into firstly, peoples interpretation of the bible, then in the
whole idea of an all knowing invisible man watching my every move.  A few years ago my
wife was diagnosed with a (thankfully) begnin menagenoma, (brain tumour).  As she was
wheeled into surgery I prepared for the longest day of my life.  As I sat waiting in the
family area of the hospital I silently prayed to God for things to be alright. As the
hours wore on I asked myself why would God raise his hand to help my wife, (a good and
loving person for sure) but not to help the young child in another wing suffering from
cancer.  It was then I realized that the only person that could give us the "miracle" we
hoped for was here, standing beside her, it was of course Dr. [John Smith].  He was the
one with the skill and knowledge, hard gained by years of study.  He and only he (at that
moment) could help my wife and family.  He came through for us.  The tumour was
completely removed, was completely bengin and my wife was completely healed.  Two months
later we were out on the ski hill.  If I were to pray to a being for miracles received it
would be to Dr. [Smith].  I saw the miracle myself.  But of course I don't pray to him.
I thanked him, and I knew there was little I could do to truly repay him for what he had
done.  His reward was seeing his patient return to her family healthy and happy, no
prayers required.

After this event I have moved closer to what I called being an atheist, and now thanks to
you know it as being rational.

I look at the world to day and see so much religious hate.  I look at our good
neighbours to the south (USA) and see what the religious right have done and are doing.
I see the likes of Ms. Palin and to be honest it scares the hell (lol) out of me knowing
she could be president, marching on a mission from God to do battle.

I have not been able to openly express my belief in "rationalism" until now.
Thank you

[Name]

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Comments [#507]
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
I didn't make the videos or the web site, but there are plenty of people on the forums here that can relate to your story.  I'm glad to hear that your wife's life and health were saved by the skilled doctor you mentioned.^^

As we look into the future, it's clear to me that we will have to rely heavily on the skills of a great many people who are willing to look at reality as it is and make tentative and open minded decisions to hopefully save us from the recklessness of the theocrats that would have us all bowing and impoverished. 

Personally, while I don't expect all of the religious people who view the videos to deconvert, I do expect them to stop promoting ignorance and superstition at the cost of lives and society itself.

^^ (The mail sent to the forums has names and other personal details stripped out before it is posted to protect your privacy.  Otherwise, I'd mention the doctor by name!)
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer