Author Topic: Re: "10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer"  (Read 13712 times)

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
Re: "10 questions that every intelligent Christian must answer"
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
How about we pause here and give Kaboose a chance to reply?
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
i literally spent 5 hours typing a response to all of you, but this site erased it all. i will try to reconstruct it in the next couple days. i really do want to get back to all of you.

that's unfortunate.  A suggestion, type out your response in a word processor and then cut and paste it into a response.

That being said,  you should read more of this site and see the responses to Christians.  The mailbag area is a good area to start.   I'd also ask you to consider why it should take yuo 5 hours to defend your claims.  IF this religion was real, shouldn't it be more evident than needing hours to figure out how to respond to some very simple questions?  I'd also advise you to come up with your own answers, not parrot something you've found on an apologetics website. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
How about we pause here and give Kaboose a chance to reply?

Honest to goodness !, I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a stick after reading post #159 by this cat !

Wow, just wow. I think pausing is a great idea Pleth-- and perhaps more importantly, give him some extra time to do some reading before he says another word and surely does further damage to his credibility.

Kaboose, I'm not trying to be mean, but please do some extracurricular reading mate, your ignorance is killing you here !

Cheers  ;)
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline kaboose

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »
Just to let you all know i am taking jeff's post into consideration and studying what people say on this forums. I am ignorant when it comes to the science of a lot of things. i hope you don't mind waiting for my response. i would like to give it at least a week to gather my information more. Thanks!

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
Good job, Kaboose!

+1
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline WiccaBillinCo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
OK, as a newbie here, I’m just going to say something(s) I have picked up as I have read through several threads.

I see all the time that god or the flying spaghetti monster does not reveal himself to me because he wants me to humble myself.

I will say for a fact, if Jesus appeared in the air, or in my room, I’d kneel down and humble myself, and I imagine almost anybody on this site would too.

So, let me get this straight. I am a simple man, and I can not love my children near as much as this christian god loves me.

1. I can’t know god’s plan, or know his mind to know what he really wants.

2. This god who loves me so much will not reveal his presence to any of his children in any way they could point to it and offer unassailable proof of him, (IE. Remember on Oct 5th, when God appeared over the Washington monument? It was on CNN!)

3. The same afore mentioned god is content to let me wander through life, never knowing him, when all he had to do was say, “Here I am”. (I do it for my kid, but I guess I don’t love her enough, and should let her suffer and wander around lost)

4. He can do anything but he can’t get on the front page of USA Today?

5. If I don’t have enough faith, he is going to throw me into a lake of fire, in front of my loved ones?

6. There are no innocent people. A child just born is as guilty as a serial killer.

7. In the OT he was content to reveal himself so everyone would know his glory, but he sent his son to die horribly, as a blood sacrifice for my sins, and that all stopped. He was going into hiding and ignore people.

8. He dictates to his followers not to judge, but his followers are the most judgmental group I have ever encountered.

9. He designed us with free will, but doesn’t want us to use it.

And

10. All the times in the OT when he revealed himself, he is going to get rid of the evidence so we still have no proof.

Just looking at it from an engineer’s position, that’s a real bad system design for even a man, not alone an omnipotent being. You don’t design a system for failure. Mythbusters wouldn’t even touch this one.
Just sayin’
(Geez, I’m such a redneck at times, LOL)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
OK, as a newbie here, I’m just going to say something(s) I have picked up as I have read through several threads.

I will say for a fact, if Jesus appeared in the air, or in my room, I’d kneel down and humble myself, and I imagine almost anybody on this site would too.

Then your imaginations are incorrect. It's more than probable that many of the atheists here would of course acknowledge a revealed god, but kneeling down to it ? all of a sudden loving it ? worshiping it for ever ?  Nah, myself I can't see it. And if in fact it was bible god, then definitely not ! Tyranny is never to be respected and always battled against, so that type of god is in the dog house  ;)

9. He designed us with free will, but doesn't want us to use it

Divine free will does not exist. It's merely a religious term. But let's for a moment say that it does:-- If there were to be a bible god who assigned a free will, then based on the history and behaviour of that god, he would be akin to a crime boss who's says to a family member:

Crime boss: ""Listen you ungrateful disrespectful punk! You wanna do things your way ?! Yeah well go ahead!! But just remember you sorry ass little piece of worthlessness, that I'm your father! and I brought you into this world and made you what you are in this family and so it's best you do things my way ! Or else !!""......as he pulls back his silk blazer to reveal a 45 Magnum.... :?

Son: ""Jeeezuz Dad ! Did you have to flash your gun ?! Even though you were gone doing "business" for most of my life, I thought you loved me!!? You'll kill your own child for not completely toeing the line, even though you weren't there to guide me !!!?

Crime boss: "''Me Kill you !? Ha!! Don't be so ridiculous you little turd!! Your decision to show disrespect to me and my love for you is what kills you!! ....man you're a stupid little fuck !!""   

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
First you say this -
"Why won't God heal amputees?" well to be honest, no one can know.
Then you say this -
God has a plan for the universe marked down to every time you'll blink. There is a reason why not every amputee is healed physically, but i can't know that. but what i do know is the spiritual healing that come from tragic moments in our life. God gives us certain situations in our lives that pin us against the wall and ask us "What do I believe in at this pivot point of life?" i have had this situation in my life before as well. God isn't torturing us by removing our limbs, or making us being born without eyesight. He is trying to teach us something to lead us to eternal healing and life.
If no one can know why he won't heal amputees, then how can one reliably know anything about him?

God never wants or even wishes for murder (abortion counts in this instance).
1 Samuel 15:2-3 Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

That is the people, and sin that we blame for that.
Who decides what is a sin and what isn't a sin? Who allows sin to exist?

But God created science and the many things we can explore, but sin has twisted it so far that it has become a religion. Your religion.
How is science twisted by sin? How is science a religion? If science is a religion, what qualifies me, as an atheist, to be a follower of that religion? I don't follow any creeds or worship science. What is the tipping point? Have you been vaccinated or had a flu shot (both developed by scientists)? Does that mean that science is your religion too?

Satan is the king of lies and he took science and the explanation of the universe and shrouded the many things that we ignore to this day.
How do you know this? How do you know that Satan actually is not our creator and Yahweh is manipulating and lying to humans?

There is in fact scientific proof that there is a god or intelligent being.
Really???

You said this -
Now for one all energy is eternal. There is no beginning or end to it, it is just always there.
Then you said this -
Now if you ever believed in the big bang theory, then you still have yet to answer the one question that so many cannot answer. "Where did the energy come from?". It had to of had a source.
If it is eternal with no beginning or end then it does not need to "come from" anything or anyone. It doesn't require a source.
Also, if the god you are positing doesn't require a beginning or source - how can you say that this energy or the universe requires a beginning or source?

Something or someone outside of time and science itself. And here enters God or whatever you wish to call Him.
First you need to prove that there is absolutely no other natural way that this energy OR the universe came into existence.
Next you need to prove that a god or supreme being exists.
Then you need to prove that a god or supreme being created this universe

Now that shows how there at least must be something outside of time watching over us, now how can i believe that this same being is watching over us constantly and loving us. The answer is simple. God created the heavens and the earth.
Then you need to prove that the god or supreme being that created this universe is the particular god that you believe in as opposed to Zeus, Odin, Vishnu or *some god I just made up*.
You can't just leap from "we don't know where is energy came from" to "my magic, bearded sky wizard did it!!!"
If you completed all but the last step, I could easily say "Obviously the giant, invisible, fire engine in the sky created the universe." and I would have just as much evidence for my claim as you do for yours.

let's look at the rotations of the earth and the moon. now the moon is normally out when it's night and the sun is out when it's day. that's 24 hours in one day. kind of a random number, but yet it's insanely brilliant when you get down to it. People need at the most 9 hours of sleep to function for at least 15 hours. Is it just our bodies adapting to cycles? or is it literally that we were made the have to follow this. But how could evolution even bring that onto us? same for all creatures. we need sleep because of how our bodies function. we get sustenance through the day for energy, but that can only last so long. so if evolution were true, would we be able to adapt to a completely different sleep cycle? no. I'm not talking about moving into different time zones, but try living perfectly normal in a place with 30 hour days. you'll probably notice that you'll be completely exhausted come night time and your sleep isn't nearly as healthy. So thank goodness random chance produced that. well it didn't.
What? Are you suggesting...that human beings could not possibly have evolved to live and thrive on a planet with faster or slower rotation??? That they could not possibly have adapted to sleep approximately 30 hours and gather food/create shelter the remaining hours of the day? How do you know this?

science can't prove how I grew third arm out of the middle of my chest. This is a true story. One day I decided to grow a third arm out of my chest so that I could flash my middle finger at inconsiderate drivers while still keeping my other hands on the wheel. Voila! There it was! A perfectly formed arm in the middle of my chest! I use it daily and it comes in very handy (pun intended) for other tasks as well.  So i ask science to prove how that is just a coincidence.

Now. You have no choice but to accept this a truth because you obviously accept any claim made without any evidence as long as the person relaying the story says "This is a true story"

Simply because he has said in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" that we should not have to see to believe, for we are blessed if we believe and do not see. see "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for proof. now obviously pretty much everyone has wanted to see Harry Potter or even prayed that He would appear, but the thing is that Harry doesn't work that way. He wants to know how much we believe and trust in him. and if you can honestly have true heartfelt faith and be consciously thinking about "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and you ask for Harry to appear, then I'm sure He would.

It's a book...

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:31 PM »
rcdrury, I hate to be the one to inform you, but according to the story of the Great Flood, the mountains were covered with 15 cubits (21 feet) of water. Mt. Everest is 29,029 feet high. That means that 29,050 feet, or 5.5 MILES of water, fell in just 40 days. Let me reiterate, the global sea level raised 5.5 miles in 40 days. This is simply absurd, for so many reasons. First of all, where did the water come from, and then where did it go? There is no evidence of all that extra water on the earth, nor of the catastrophic effects that level of flooding would create. There is no geological record of a mass extinction of every living thing not in Noah's ark having ocurred only a few thousand years ago either.

Second, if the human race was whittled down to just Noah and his family, this means incest. lots of incest. Also, how is it that the global population has grown to nearly 7 billion in the time since? How is it that there is evidence of people living in the Americas since 10,000 years ago, if only Noah and his family survived the flood? Furthermore, how did the animals get back to North/South America? Or to Australia? Or Antarctica? Did Santa deliver them?

Third, why is the flood, which the Bible says is unarguably the greatest extinction event in the Earth's history, not supported by a single shred of solid evidence, yet plenty of evidence exists to support great extinctions millions of years before there people (KT Event, Permian Great Dying) ? Why doesn't the Bible mention dinosaurs? I'm serious. A book that is the divine word of God should certainly contain references to something as fearsome as T-Rex, as awesome as Amphicoelias Fragillimus, as cunning as velociraptor? Why would God create these AMAZING things and NEVER mention them?

Fourth, how is it that Noah's ark, though assuredly impressively huge, was able to contain the nearly 9 million species that are currently found on earth? He would have to have brought 2 of every species that has ever existed (except the stuff that went inexplicably extinct before that), including reptiles, mammals, birds, insects, plants.... how did he do all of this? I'm pretty sure that even if the Ark was the size of the USS Enterprise, it would have been a little more than challenging. Plus all of the food needed to sustain every  species (what did the carnivores eat if only two of every animal was brought? What happened to the plants eaten by the herbivores?)
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »
Noah's Ark.

People in modern day have tried to rebuild it according to the dimensions in the Bible, and guess what? It cannot be done. The largest so far is 1/2 the sice, requiring steel bracing, strutts and supports and to top it all off: it is built onto a steel barge because even with our low sea levels with intervening land, it is not sea worthy.

A world only covered by water won't have land to break the waves so they'll just build and build. A world covered only by water will be rougher than the pacific has ever been.

Offline WiccaBillinCo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2011, 05:42:19 PM »

Then your imaginations are incorrect. It's more than probable that many of the atheists here would of course acknowledge a revealed god, but kneeling down to it ? all of a sudden loving it ? worshiping it for ever ?  Nah, myself I can't see it. And if in fact it was bible god, then definitely not ! Tyranny is never to be respected and always battled against, so that type of god is in the dog house  ;)

Please note I said I imagine almost anyone. but point noted. I was speaking, (writing) IMOO, and I'll not include you in any further notes I write. 

I also imagine I am smart, (Delusions of Grandeur)

Like I said, newbie.
Smiles,

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
Noah's Ark.

People in modern day have tried to rebuild it according to the dimensions in the Bible, and guess what? It cannot be done. The largest so far is 1/2 the sice, requiring steel bracing, strutts and supports and to top it all off: it is built onto a steel barge because even with our low sea levels with intervening land, it is not sea worthy.

A world only covered by water won't have land to break the waves so they'll just build and build. A world covered only by water will be rougher than the pacific has ever been.

yeah but god did it

god can do anything

ez pz

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »
Just to let you all know i am taking jeff's post into consideration and studying what people say on this forums. I am ignorant when it comes to the science of a lot of things. i hope you don't mind waiting for my response. i would like to give it at least a week to gather my information more. Thanks!

kaboose, ..................how's the education going?

I know you said at least a week, but perhaps you can be more time specific now that week is nearly up.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
psssh i doubt kaboose is coming back, hit and run christians are a dime a dozen.   with any luck though, they'll deconvert years down the line once they realize how dumb their beliefs are.   or at the very least, become un-fundamentalist.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
Those who insist to live by the law, die by the law.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
We are all gonna die right?  Is anyone here (because of science) gonna live forever?
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
We are all gonna die right?  Is anyone here (because of science) gonna live forever?

Barring something like Tipler's concept of the Omega Point actually becoming reality...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point

... no.

Your point?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »

You know what, no. However Science does make people live longer. Religion is just wishes in air. It does not allow people to live forever, it promises it will, but it does not. The only way religion affects lifespan is incidents like 9-11
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »

Life expectancy is two and half times longer now than it was before science and it will continue to increase.

It's impossible to live forever simply because the universe will no longer be able to support life in the far future.

So what's your point?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:38:32 AM by plethora »

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2011, 05:43:28 AM »
Is anyone here (because of science) gonna live forever?

Yes.  I am.

Can you prove I will not?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2011, 05:45:42 AM »
Is anyone here (because of science) gonna live forever?

Yes.  I am.

Can you prove I will not?

Ask how science made you live forever then get a lie detector?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:42 AM »

Polygraphs test the belief in the answer being given - not the underlying truth or otherwise behind that belief.  I'm confident I would pass a lie detector test.

I'm also sure that jtp56 would get a "true" response if asked "will you live forever through Christ".....same as I am sure I would get a "false" response if asked "will jtp56 live forever through Christ".  In other words it would prove nothing.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline WiccaBillinCo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »

Polygraphs test the belief in the answer being given - not the underlying truth or otherwise behind that belief.  I'm confident I would pass a lie detector test.

I'm also sure that jtp56 would get a "true" response if asked "will you live forever through Christ".....same as I am sure I would get a "false" response if asked "will jtp56 live forever through Christ".  In other words it would prove nothing.

The people that administer lie detector test like to state that they are 94% accurate, (Jack Trimarco, the Dr. Phil polygraph guy, ex-FBI agent)   
(http://www.jacktrimarco.com/  ).
There are just as many people that state you can get the same results of a lie detector as a random answer, IE: a 50/50 chance.
 (http://antipolygraph.org/) .
I know all you have to do if faced with a polygraph test, is to tell them you understand control questions, and know countermeasures, that automatically will make you a bad candidate for a lie detector test.

Of course there is always the urban legend of the police in Pennsylvania made a lie detector out of a colander , some wires and a photo copy machine. They wrote “HE’S LIEING” on a piece of paper, put it in the copier, and stuck the colander on the suspect’s head. When they asked him a question, and got an answer they didn't like, they pressed the copy button, and the paper came out with the message on it. The suspect confessed to the crime.
(http://www.snopes.com/legal/colander.asp )
Probably was a christian, they are so easy to fool.

(Information I have locked inside my head that no one cares about, LOL).
Just sain’
Smiles.

Offline kaboose

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
I have not gone. I have been taking time to study both sides. I am going to make my argument when i feel as though i can give you the best possible answer. i haven't been able to get on though because of schooling and stuff, but i'm still getting time to poke around a bit.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »
^^ That great Kaboose. That's all we can ask for really... we want theists who come here to take the time to study all sides and be sincerely interested in figuring out what is true and what is not.  ;)

Maybe you should ask us some questions so we can clarify some of that stuff for you. That would help I think.

Offline kaboose

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
Okay, well i do have a few questions. All of the prophecies told in the old testament have come true. There is historical proof of it all. but there were the prophecies written before it all happened. For example look at the prophecy found in Joshua 6:26. It was written about 1451 B.C. This prophecy has 4 predictions: Jericho will be rebuilt, it will be rebuilt by one man, the builder's oldest son will die when the work on the city starts, and his youngest son will die when the work is complete. This prophecy was fulfilled about 500 years later. Note that there is a large period of time between when the prophecy was marked and when it happened. this is true throughout the prophecies of the bible. No other religious document in the world is authenticated with this type of difficult and accurate prophecy. Let's estimate a conservative probability for this prophecy to happen. The fulfillment is found in First Kings 16:33-34 by the way. The estimated chances of the (1) the city of jericho will be rebuilt: 1 in 2. (2) One leader, who will be a man, will rebuild the city: 1 in 10. (3) the leader's oldest son will die at the start: 1 in 100. and (4) the leader's youngest son will die at the finish: 1 in 100. Therefore the total probability for this prophecy is 1 in 200,000. These values were carefully calculated and justified by a respected group of historians and they can be studied further in a book called "Science Speaks" by Peter Stoner. Now another probability of a portion of the fulfilled prophecies in the old testament of the bible (biblical references given to prove that these prophecies did come true after a long period of time) :

Jericho                     2 x 10^5 (Joshua 6:26)
Tyre                         7.5 x 10^7 (Ezekiel 26:3-16)
Samaria                  4 x 10^4 (Michah 1:6)
Gaza                       1.2 x 10^4 (Zephaniah 2:4-6)
Golden Gate            1 x 10^3 (Ezekiel 44:1-3)
Zion Plowed            1 x 10^2 (Micah 3:12)
Jerusalem                8 x 10^10 (Jeremiah 31:38-40)
Palestine                 2 x 10^5 (Leviticus 26:31-33 / Ezekiel 36:33-35)
Moab / Ammon        1 x 10^3  (Ezekiel 25:3-10/ Jeremiah 48:47, 49:6
Edom                       1 x 10^4  (Jeremiah 49:17-18)
Babylon                   5 x 10^9 (isaiah 13:19-21 / Jeremiah 51:26)

now the probability of these 11 prophecies all coming true if they were written by people relying only on their human wisdom would be 1 in 5.76 x 10^59. Note that I said these are only a portion of the prophecies told in the old testament. Now there is proof that Jesus existed, and there are many prophecies made many many years before.

Messiah born in Bethlehem       2.8 x 10^5  (Micah 5:2)
Messiah had a forerunner         1 x 10^3   (Malachi 3:1)
Messiah rode a donkey             1 x 10^2  (Zechariah 9:9)
Messiah had wounded hands   1 x 10^3 (Zechariah 13:6)
Messiah betrayed by 30 silver coins  1 x 10^3 (Zechariah 11:12)
Betrayer of Messiah threw coins down 1 x 10^5 (Zechariah 11:13)
Messiah had no defender at his trial   1 x 10^3  (Isaiah 53:7)
Messiah was crucified even though innocent  1 x 10^4 (psalm 22:16)

The probability of one person (Jesus Christ) fulfilling these 8 prophecies if they were written by people who relied only on their human wisdom would be 1 in 2.8 x 10^28.
and the probability of all of these 19 prophecies all coming true if they were written by people relying only on their human wisdom would be 1 in [5.76 x 10^59] x [2.8 x 10^28]= 1.6128 x 10^88.

My question is, how can people predict things of that magnitude if there is no God? How do the prophets of God prophecy  the future in such specific ways and have them fulfilled? These events are proven to be true and fulfilled, just look it up. History proves the Bible. Math shows the probabilities. Now please think carefully about this statement: With respect to evidence, it takes a far greater leap of faith to not believe in God and the Bible than to have faith in God and to believe what the Bible says.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
Okay, well i do have a few questions. All of the prophecies told in the old testament have come true.

And the prohecies in the earlier written Harry Potter books come true in the later ones. Same reason. We've seen this  before

NEXT!
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline kaboose

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
except for the fact that harry potter books are fantasy. The history and prophecies in the Bible are proven to be real. and history continued to prove the prophecies to be true.