Author Topic: The reason people thought there was an autism/vaccine link discredited 1988study  (Read 816 times)

Offline rickymooston

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,3582.0.html

Science may be self-correecting but the public is not conditioned for that and in additon, some people have a "natural suspicion" of authority was certain types of assertions are made.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog

Science may be self-correecting but the public is not conditioned for that and in additon, some people have a "natural suspicion" of authority was certain types of assertions are made.

Especially assertions of absolute certainty in gods and their miracles.

Offline rickymooston

Agree but not fully convinced of the relativince of that in this case.

(I've been however since convinced that ONE of these people is a whack job tho; her belief showing signs of some pseudo science but at the core of it, there is still a basic cause/co-elation fallacy. I stand open to finding more whack jobiness in her beliefs but I'm more interested in the idea that misinformatin often starts with a grain of truth.  In this case, there existed a flawed study, since discredited and autism is typically found after children develop language skills ;-).

That is a bunch of non-scientists "observe" that there kids get autism "shortly after getting their vaccines". Thier natural suspicion of authority (aka conspiracy theory syndrome) prevents them from listening to what the subsequent scientists have said in context.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog

Agree but not fully convinced of the relativince of that in this case.

(I've been however since convinced that ONE of these people is a whack job tho; her belief showing signs of some pseudo science but at the core of it, there is still a basic cause/co-elation fallacy. I stand open to finding more whack jobiness in her beliefs but I'm more interested in the idea that misinformatin often starts with a grain of truth.  In this case, there existed a flawed study, since discredited and autism is typically found after children develop language skills ;-).

That is a bunch of non-scientists "observe" that there kids get autism "shortly after getting their vaccines". Thier natural suspicion of authority (aka conspiracy theory syndrome) prevents them from listening to what the subsequent scientists have said in context.

Perhaps, but this type of stuff never survives in mainstream science.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
Well... regardless of the autism thing, it seems only common sense that you don't put mercury compounds in chemicals that you will be injecting into human bodies.  Hell, I wouldn't want mercury amalgam in my fillings either.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline rickymooston

Well... regardless of the autism thing, it seems only common sense that you don't put mercury compounds in chemicals that you will be injecting into human bodies.  Hell, I wouldn't want mercury amalgam in my fillings either.

My thinking precisely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had reservations when I took my flu shot. I know its safe but ... it seems just plain wrong?  Any biochemists here to explain it all better?