Author Topic: Can you abandon the laws of your country to uphold god's laws?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Can you abandon the laws of your country to uphold god's laws?
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »
Simple Question can you ignore the laws of your country to uphold what you view as gods law(open to interpretation)?

there are some who have murdered in order to enforce gods laws,abortion doctor killers for example.

thoughts?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Re: Can you abandon the laws of your country to uphold god's laws?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
If I were a theist, I would respond yes. It would seem to me that any all-powerful deity deserves more respect than my own country. If that deity's rules conflicted with my country's, there'd be no question what the solution is.

Kinda scary, really.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
If I were a theist, and really believed in some magical "truth", I'd say yes, anything for my god.  I would also spend 24/7 reading my magical holy book to make darn sure I wouldn't get sent to hell on a technicality. :)

But as we all know, theists pick and choose, and religion conforms to society, not the other way around.  They all think they know what God "really" meant and thus all do different things depending on how deranged they are.  God can tell some people to murder abortion doctors and others murder their children because God supposedly told them so.  I wonder if the people who are cheering the murders of doctors feel teh same about the murders of children since they both have the same lack of evidence supporting those claims of divine communication.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hemingway

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • God will pardon me, that's his line of work
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
Well in Islam apparently if someone murders your family member, you only have to receive a few dollars from the murderer and offer them your forgiveness and they can go about their business.

If I was a rich murderer I reckon Shari'ah Law would be quite the way to go! Murder rings around you and pay the families for their inconvenience.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
As a Christian I thought so, and was civilly(SP?) disobedient during the Atlanta Georgia abortion protests, by blocking entrance to abortion clinics.

I also was considering destroying some clinics, when I came to my senses.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline abecedarian

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-1
    • Goosebook
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Quite honestly, the way Im feeling in light of recent events its difficult to know which is most corrupt - it seems that any institution which makes claims of honest injun is usually anything but....... both proposed groups work to keep the interests of the top 5% protected, both should be strung up for the bs laws they dont live by yet expect us to - both use fear tactics to keep the cap doffing alive and well. 

I think its time for a whole new rethink right across the board personally.

This country's laws are as corrupt as Gods laws and I dont have time for either.........
AGNOTOLOGY: "The study of deliberately created ignorance-such as the falsehoods about evolution that are created by creationists".

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
As a Christian I thought so, and was civilly(SP?) disobedient during the Atlanta Georgia abortion protests, by blocking entrance to abortion clinics.

I also was considering destroying some clinics

:o

when I came to my senses.

Glad that happened, MM
Survey results coming soon!

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
Me too!  :police:  :police: :police: :police:
              ^^^       these guys scare me!

Just shows what a TruBeliever will may do!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:19:35 PM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »
It's a no-brainer - of course you would abandon the laws of your country and that is why we see most xtians are not really xtians.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
I guess you could interpret the bible with your version of "your" magic decoder ring but fail to follow what the good book says because of punishment the country of origin

There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »
    The freaks are too cowardly to kill gays like it says in Leviticus so instead they substitute all sorts of homophobic bigotry in it's place hoping that it will pass muster with their invisible sky daddy.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:55 PM »
 But if you fail to follow the rules set out by your god of choice you can't justify your actions on your judgement day can you? The OT was a set of rules for a small obscure tribe of believers the NT meant anyone could now join the frey,but rules are still rules