I never understood why nobody beats up on the Jews... so I'll come out and say it ... fuck the jews!
Cafeteria jews are just as secular as cafeteria christians. Orthodox jews can and do create environments just as restrictive as the more insane christians. I have no statistics on fundy jews by percentage, but by and large the Torah is not exactly enlightened.
Why they get all this extra-special respect is beyond me. Their religion is no better than any other religion.
- Holocaust. Best PR campaign ever. This may sounds sick and twisted, but it's much more disgusting that the Holocaust is invoked so much the same way 9/11 is in the US.
- Orthodox jews aren't in-your-face about it. Well, unless you're in Israel. And even there, they are not exactly evangelical. They are, in short, none of our concern. They keep to themselves.
- Israel. For decades, the US supported Isreal almost without question (fuck me, they've just recently given up on their stance vis-à vis new settlements in the occupied territories - again). Also, for a very long time the CIA was completely dependent on information from the Israeli secret service; they basically knew nothing
about the political minutiae of the Middle East except for the information that passed through Israeli hands.
- Plus, Israel is still regarded as basically utopia. It's not only a country, it's been made part of judaism. Add this infamous gotta-respect-their-faith political over-correctness and - boom! - Suddenly even stating that carving a new country out of occupied territory may have been a dumb idea is labeled intolerant.
- Als, yet another Israel point, people sympathize with a state that's under constant terrorist threat, especially since they've been taught by the media that they could plausibly become victims themselves.
- Lobbying. There's another thread on why jews seem to be more successful on average than any other demographic. That said, no shortage of non-Israeli jews are getting fed up with Israel; there are still "interest groups" of course.
- Last but not least, the fact that religion-jew and race-jew aren't verbally distinguishable. This irks me to no end. (The fact that race factors into a person's worth in orthodoxy doesn't helpt.) I guess you can just substitute "judaism". Eh.