Author Topic: Peaceful Response to the Question asked Why Won't God Heal Amputees  (Read 26756 times)

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
Re: Peaceful Response to the Question asked Why Won't God Heal Amputees
« Reply #580 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
Is there a reason why so many in the atheist camp are incapable of understanding the use of hyperbole in ancient texts?

Is there a reason why so many in the theist camp are incapable or unwilling to point out when hyperbole is being used in their ancient texts? Just point it all out so none of us will have to go through this argument over and over and over and...
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #581 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
As for the question at hand about WWGHA: Personally, the question hinges on the worldview held by each one of us. For the atheist, this life is it. After we die, we're worm food. Therefore, the healing of the amputee in a supernatural fashion is required by the atheist in THIS life, before the amputee "dies." In a Christian worldview, humans will live forever and this life is only the beginning. Therefore, the healing of the amputee (and any other ailment prevalent in our fallen world) will happen after one goes to heaven. There is nothing in a Christian worldview that says supernatural healing must occur in this world in order for it to happen at all. In fact, the majority of "healing" will take place after one dies and is brought into eternity with God.

If I sustain a broken leg and visit the doctor, I am not going to be healed immediately no matter how great the doctor is. The process of healing here takes time and I am subject to that. The process of physical (in most cases) and spiritual healing also takes time and we are also subject to that whether or not we want it to happen at our discretion and on our timetable. Just some food for thought. Please respond. Thanks.

Penman, why would an omnipotent, benevolent God ever allow any kind of suffering to begin with, let alone make someone wait until they get to heaven to be healed? Also, why did Jesus supposedly heal the blind man, centurion's servant, lepers, etc and does not currently heal amputees? Do they have to wait just because they were not fortunate enough to run into Jesus 2000 years ago? Please don't say that everything is our fault because of sin, since I have heard that argument many times and if you use it you will need to explain why God supposedly punished us for being curious and eating a piece of fruit that he gave us access to.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #582 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
Penman,

as the others have said, it’s just more Chritian nonsense when they get their magic decoder rings out and start declaring that they and they alone know what their god “really” meant. 

Was there a global flood? The answer is no not at all in reality, but did the bible authors just mean it was a hyperbole?  Certainly seems that the character JC though it was real.  Was there a cruxifiction or was that just hyperbole too?  I can support that as well as you can support your excuses that other parts are. 

You might be new but that doesn’t excuse your ignorance.  Read the site and see the same old tired excuses that all Christians use.  We see every one of them clami that their views are the only “objective and truthful” ones and not so strangely they can’t provide evidence of that at all.  There is nothing that shows you are any more right than those Christians who are literalists.  I haven’t seen one of you do any of the things your savior promised. 

As for the question at hand about WWGHA: Personally, the question hinges on the worldview held by each one of us. For the atheist, this life is it. After we die, we're worm food. Therefore, the healing of the amputee in a supernatural fashion is required by the atheist in THIS life, before the amputee "dies."
Funny how JC did all of his purported healing in “THIS” life too.  Why the sudden change, Pen?  Why does God suddenly stop healing people just when humans start to question things and figure out that disease is not some “God’s Wrath”nonsense? 
In a Christian worldview, humans will live forever and this life is only the beginning. Therefore, the healing of the amputee (and any other ailment prevalent in our fallen world) will happen after one goes to heaven. There is nothing in a Christian worldview that says supernatural healing must occur in this world in order for it to happen at all. In fact, the majority of "healing" will take place after one dies and is brought into eternity with God.
No, this is only in some versions of Christianity, those you make up, seeing how JC didn’t qualify his healings like you are trying to do.  It’s always rather amusing, if in a pathetic way, that Christians have to wholesale ignore their bible and what their god supposed “inspired”. 
[qutoe]If I sustain a broken leg and visit the doctor, I am not going to be healed immediately no matter how great the doctor is. The process of healing here takes time and I am subject to that. [/quote] Ah, so you are claiming your fellow Christians are liars?  How interesting.  Care to show us how you know?
The process of physical (in most cases) and spiritual healing also takes time and we are also subject to that whether or not we want it to happen at our discretion and on our timetable. Just some food for thought. Please respond. Thanks.
No food for thought here, only excuses.  Your bible says that prayers will be answered positively and quickly.  It is only Christians who try to use the old “yes, wait, no” excuse since they know that prayers are never answered and they must try to excuse the impotence, or non-existence of their god.

I’m curious. Since we have hand transplants, etc, would you give up your hand to someone who needed it to work?  I would think surely you would since you, and your version of God, don’t think healing or a whole body is worth anything in “this” life.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #583 on: August 20, 2011, 12:10:25 AM »
The Question has to be looked at also as a what is heaven question. The problem is there is NO one version of what heaven is. If you are just a spirit in heaven as some think,you have no need for "healed limbs" which is all the more reason for God to heal you while you need the limb. If you are "you" but in heaven as some believe and God heals you upon your ascent into heaven then you are OK. You are once again a whole person

So we first must figure out what the hell heaven is before we can understand BibleGod's reason for ignoring the prayers of someone who requires healing and asks him for it. If you are a disembodied spirit,God should get off his ass and help you while you need it,if you are "you" maybe not. Same could be said for quadriplegics....if you need no body in heaven then God should help you when you need it, NOW.

Problem #1 getting a clear picture on what heaven is,my bet is you won't get any 2 groups of theists to agree on what it is
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #584 on: August 22, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I wonder if Pen will answer my questions.  I see posts from him since I put mine up. 

Pen, you wanted responses to your "food for thought".  Now that you have them, where are your responses?  Or have you realized that your parroted nonsense has some very big problems with it?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #585 on: August 22, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
I wonder if Pen will answer my questions.  I see posts from him since I put mine up. 

Maybe he doesn't know about recent unread post view.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #586 on: August 22, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »

Answer? No, ignore, refuse, misdirect, and obfucate are the only options to any hard direct question to theists
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Alendar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
It occurs to me that maybe amputees are in a state of existence that is not broken in any way and thus no healing is necessary.

I'm glad I read this.  This amazes me.  I believe that the OP is heartfelt in her thinking.  This is an excellent example of the social dangers of religious belief.  Many people do not see the danger in the God delusion.  They see it as a personal and private choice.  But in this type of frank statement we can see how religious people are splintered internally from rational thought on these topics.  When we can't rationally use our minds to consider an obviously horrible tragedy and treat it respectfully, then our minds are broken and ineffective.  Paul says in Romans that the unbeliever's mind is poisoned and broken, and yet here we see a clear example of real suffering being blatantly minimized in order to avoid reflection on their world view.