Author Topic: Peaceful Response to the Question asked Why Won't God Heal Amputees  (Read 66314 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +109/-17
Re: Peaceful Response to the Question asked Why Won't God Heal Amputees
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
God is invisible because if we ever see Him with our naked eyes, we will die instantly(because of our sin)

Yeah yeah I know you won't believe without an evidence

See my Sig, courtesy of you.
Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +288/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »
There's a giant difference between God and giant pink bunny that follows you around all day.
Only one thing in common, invisible.

Hmm. No, let's add a few more things to the list, shall we? Invisible pink bunny and God are both...

Omnipotent, omniscient, unseen, unheard, untestable, unmeasurable, they don't respond to commands, they don't do miracles, they don't make contact with people in any testable way, they are both uncreated, do nothing when you pray to them, you can't smell them, touch them or taste them, and the biggest one... the only way you can POSSIBLY believe in them is through faith (otherwise, there's absolutely no reason to believe they are real.) 

Giant bunny is invisible because it does not exist.

Interesting thought!  Maybe you're getting somewhere here.  Answer me this... If God were not real, would that explain why He's invisible?  Think it through, think it through.... there you go... a little more.  Are you seeing it now? 

God is invisible because if we ever see Him with our naked eyes, we will die instantly(because of our sin)

Can you point to the biblical phrase that tells you this is true?  Otherwise, that's just really cute.  Like... 5 year old cute.  Sounds like God's got a Buzz Lightyear laser too.

Or, or, or, what if God isn't real?  Just like the giant bunny?  Could that be a valid explanation as to why we can't see him with our eyes?   We just went over this. 

Correct! And neither should you. 

Remember that worm story? How would you make them believe? (Yeah yeah I know you won't believe)

If I were God, and I knew everything about everything, the one thing you could be sure of is that I would know how to make worms believe in me.  That much would be super easy.  There are trillions of ways for God to make people aware of his presence through reason, logic and evidence. 

Just simply won't believe.

Here's where you are wrong.  I believe in a shit load of stuff.  My criteria for belief in ANY other realm of knowledge is probably pretty similar to yours (well, maybe not yours, but pretty average with the rest of the world).  I believe in evolution.  I believe in molecular theory.  I believe that the earth goes around the sun.  I believe that the sun is a star.  I believe 2 + 2 is 4.  Hell, I even believe you exist because you're talking to me here.  All of these things have something in common.  Know what it is?  Evidence.  The reason I don't believe in God is because there is no evidence.  It's that simple.  If you have it, present it.  If not, then understand that I think you're a fool for believing it. 

It was a good experience with you.

I can't say the same.  Sorry.  Beliefs like yours are what's wrong with the world. 

Looks like you believe you will disappear after you die and that's it.

What I believe, or wish to happen after I die has no bearing on what actually WILL happen.  The same goes for you.  You and I may believe very different things about the afterlife... but nobody really knows what will happen.  I have come to the conclusion that I will simply cease to exist and that doesn't scare me in the least, but I can not say that for sure.  You, on the other hand, must worry about the looming possibility of hell.  Oh, yes.  Hell for you.  Or are you thinking you are one of the Christians that will make it to heaven?  HA!  From what you've done here in being such a poor representation of your God, he's probably on the hotline to Satan right now telling him to put another log on the reserved spot for you "down there". 

So, have a good happy life because life is short.

Given the sentiments of your other posts, this is not at all what you wish for any of us.  You want God to smite our asses to hell.  Don't you remember telling me not to cry when I was being burned?  Yeah, I thought so.  You're God is fake.  Totally fake.  You're entire life... wasted on a lie.  If it wasn't so sad, I'd be laughing at you. 

Sun, moon. universe, you, me, people, earth, ocean, waves, wind, thunder. Until you can prove how all these work with rock solid evidence, God exists.

I couldn't resist this one.  I know you are all going to think I'm wasting my time here, but here goes anyway. 

Ok, the sun is a star.  It works on a process called "fusion".  During fusion, a hydrogen atom is split and that releases massive amounts of energy.  This process happens as a result of gravity crushing down at the center of a star, causing the atoms to break apart and release the energy.  Before a star is born, gravity (I hope your smart enough to understand gravity already) causes the hydrogen to clump together in bunches, and as the bunches get bigger, they attract more matter, and it snowballs over a really long time until the forces at the center get so powerful that the atoms start to split and then fusion takes over from there.  No need for God.  Gravity does all the work.

The moon is currently thought of as a product of a very old planet making contact with what was a pre-earth ball of rock.  The explosion caused massive amounts of debris to be thrown off.  The planet that was left (earth) still have a good amount of mass, which caused the debris from the explosion to enter into orbit around the earth.  Over time, just like a star, the matter began to combine together (through gravity) and eventually became our moon.  No need for God.  Gravity does all the work.  BTW, Mars has 2 moons, Saturn and Jupiter have a lot of them.  Neptune has 4, and I forget how many Uranus has. 

You, me, and people would take a lot longer to describe to you, but to sum up... humans are an evolved species of social animal with our niche being higher intelligence and shared learning.  We're animals, make no mistake.

The earth we already talked about a bit.  It formed from the left over interstellar dust that was here once the sun began to burn.  No need for god.  Gravity did the work.

The ocean doesn't "work" per se.  It just is.  Water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen, 2 elements that are in massive abundance throughout the solar system and beyond.  It achieves liquid form when the proper circumstances come about.  It's in solid, liquid, and gas form on our planet but only in gas and ice form elsewhere that we know of (although there has been some interesting research into some of the moons around the gas giants where water may lie in liquid form under thick sheets of ice). 

Waves and wind I will do together.  Since our planet spins around an axis, and since air has physical properties, wind is generated as a result.  Just like if you stick your arms out and spin around in a circle, you notice the increased forces of the air on your arms and that's the same thing that happens with wind.  There is also a component of the water cycle that comes in to play as well, but I'm doing this off the top of my head so I forget.  Waves happen when the wind blows on them, when something moves the water, or when the moons gravity pulls on the water as it passes by in orbit.  If you don't understand waves, go into your bathtub, fill it up, lean down and put your hand in the water.  Congratulations! You too can create waves!!  No need for God.

Thunder is the sonic boom that accompanies a lightning strike.  As lightning strikes, it breaks the sound barrier, thus creating a sonic boom.  Just like a jet does when it passes the sound barrier. 

These things are not difficult to understand naturally.  BTW, anyone else feel free to chime in here with how these things work.  I didn't look any of that up, I just remember it from... well... science classes. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
  • Darwins +0/-1,000,000,000
« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
to LadyAmorosaLuckyDulce and Astreja
Please take my apology.
I failed to act responsibly, It seemed everybody was throwing rocks at me earlier.
I had really bad experience long time ago, surrounded by people, it was a near-death experience.
So something must have triggered in me and I admit, I lost my temper.
Even worse, Pony was putting it all my fault being ignorant, lack of education, and bad English...
And simply justifed their rudeness by saying "you deserve it"
And how would you feel if someone call your dad or mom names.
My Lord is my Father in heaven. So I was seriously offended there.
That's my excuse.
I am sorry.
If I ever stop showing up here.
You know I am unjustly banned by Mods.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #322 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
There's a giant difference between God and giant pink bunny that follows you around all day.

God is invisible because it does not exist.
Giant Pink Bunny is invisible because if we ever see Him with our naked eyes, we will die instantly(because of our sin)

There is no difference between your original phrase and the altered one.  The continuous need to excuse an all-powerful being from doing nothing is further evidence that it does not exist.  Your god-being had no problem showing himself to people thousands of years ago, but is now camera-shy.  Quite funny for an omni-max being, but makes perfect sense for a fictional character.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
« Reply #323 on: July 16, 2011, 10:22:52 PM »
And to you Jeff.
I am sorry I lost my temper. earlier
Jesus is my Lord and I won't change my mind even if I had to die. Because He loves me and died for me. How I know? because I met Him in person.
And it seems you won't change your mind either. 
So I Will stop bothering you.
Let's just stop wasting each others time.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +184/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #324 on: July 16, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
Remember that worm story? How would you make them believe? (Yeah yeah I know you won't believe)
Just simply won't believe. Now I know why there was a Prophecy  "Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?(Isaiah53:1)

Jesus if you accept him as your lord absolved you of ALL sin
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #325 on: July 16, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
Just simply won't believe. Now I know why there was a Prophecy  "Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?(Isaiah53:1)

So God can't appear before our naked eyes without us dying?

Two problems:

In the bible he shows people his ass, and they lived.

If he can't appear before us without us dying, that means theres something he can't do... Which means he's not omnipotent, and therefore not "God", just "a god".

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #326 on: July 16, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
John 3 16,

Now you are trolling. Please see the rules.

Maybe you can pray for guidance. What direction do you get when you pray for guidance on how to conduct yourself here? Would jesus behave like you are?
Its you finally, I thought the coward isn't returning. :P
Please kindly explain to me where I how I trolled,
Is it you guys' rule to talk whatever (rude, slangs, disrepectfull...) you want and if a person trying to fight back it's not abiding the rules?
Would Jesus behave like me?, no absolutely, no.
If it was my Lord it would been done way better,
BTW, do you notice, you start sound like christian.
Oh one more thing I am still waiting for your apology on you mis-behaviouiourr(is that how you say in canada?)

This is the response after prayer?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #327 on: July 16, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »
...and anyone wanna correct Jeff's homework? Some off those answers ain't right either.  :P

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +288/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »
...and anyone wanna correct Jeff's homework? Some off those answers ain't right either.  :P

Please do!  Like I said, all of that was off the top of my head.  Learning is good for us all. 

Unless of course you say... God did it.  :) 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #329 on: July 17, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »
You are not exactly getting it, are you John 316? You don't believe in Giant Invisible Pink Bunny, and declare that, in the absence of evidence, that it doesn't exist.

Why because the burden of proof is on the positive statement.

Now tell me, why should we differentiate between your "god" and Invisible Pink Bunny. Do so without resorting to a logical fallacy. If you do not, you are no different than a person talking about invisible pink bunnies...and you are admitting you have nothing.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
John 316 said that he believes in god because he has met him. Therefore we should also believe. If I said I had met the Giant Pink Bunny, would that be enough evidence for John 316 to change his life and start worshipping it? I suggest he rent the movie Harvey with Jimmy Stewart and watch it. Pretend that Harvey is really god. Why don't Jimmy Stewart's relatives believe in Harvey/god? Jimmy says he met him.... &)
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:42 PM »
BTW I think John 316 owes Jeff PT a response to all the science 'splainin'. If we can't explain it there must be a god, right? So what if we can explain it? Does that mean there is no god? Because god is not needed? (Even though that is pretty weak as an argument...my doggies can't explain how the sacks of dog food appear in the house, but that doesn't mean it happens by magic!) :D
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +384/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
to LadyAmorosaLuckyDulce and Astreja
Please take my apology.
I'll think about it.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2011, 11:41:44 PM »
BTW I think John 316 owes Jeff PT a response to all the science 'splainin'. If we can't explain it there must be a god, right? So what if we can explain it? Does that mean there is no god? Because god is not needed? (Even though that is pretty weak as an argument...my doggies can't explain how the sacks of dog food appear in the house, but that doesn't mean it happens by magic!) :D
To some people, Just explaining A  with B that God created does not solve the problem because they were both created by God.
Just a quick example, When Jeff said "gravity does all the work" then I going to say "I know gravity", if I let go of an apple out of my hand it will hit the floor, then  someone else will ask "how does gravity work"? "Where does it come from"  "can you make gravity?" it's kinda silly, but it can go on and on.
hopely, that made sense

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
^not even a little.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
« Reply #335 on: July 18, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
OK one more try.
I was saying "things needed to be explained", because I want to point out, eventhought we have science we still don't know a lot of things.
For example, human blood, 
We know how it works, what the contents are (cells and plasma), how much we need, but how do we make cells, plasma, or even.  Can we manufacture single drop of blood?
I have seen a lot of people "I do not need God" but when they face tragedies, they get down on their knees and pray.
If this still doesn't make sense, I give up.
MY lack of English :) you know.

Offline naemhni

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #336 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
We know how it works, what the contents are (cells and plasma), how much we need, but how do we make cells, plasma, or even.  Can we manufacture single drop of blood?

I really wish believers would check on things like this before asking such questions.  The answer, friend, is yes, we can make blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_substitute
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #337 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
Since pianodwarf clued you in on artificial blood, I'll touch on the other point in your post.

I have seen a lot of people "I do not need God" but when they face tragedies, they get down on their knees and pray.

What does that prove? You're talking about believers that most likely blame a deity for some problem in their life, reach a point where they think it can't be handled alone, then try and gain support from said deity.

I've dealt with two extremely unpleasant situations since becoming an atheist and I didn't once consider seeking help from a god. People can walk just as well without the crutch of the supernatural.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
« Reply #338 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:29 AM »

I really wish believers would check on things like this before asking such questions.  The answer, friend, is yes, we can make blood.

Thanks for the info.
I honestly couldn't read the whole thing, but it sounds like mixing or manipulating multiple stuff together and make artificial blood.
Like "water" (H2O) -----hydrogen + oxygen =Water
Then question arises, who gave you oxygen? "can you make oxygen?
Maybe yes? with bunch of molecules? Where did you get those?
Did you create it? or found what was there already(Given by God)
see it can go on and on.
Plus, did you read "the side affects"
It is certainly great invention of something artificial and substitute for blood.
But, I wouldn't say "we made blood" yet

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #339 on: July 18, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
OK one more try.
I was saying "things needed to be explained", because I want to point out, eventhought we have science we still don't know a lot of things.
If this still doesn't make sense, I give up.
MY lack of English :) you know.

You could have the best english going, but that wouldn't change it for you. We get where you're headed wth all this, and so even bad english won't save you from ridicule. Some of the best people in theism have walked away from here an angry, confused, and defeated mess after trying to "explain" their faith to rationalists.

Anyone can explain anything anyway they want. But here at WWGHA, we want things proved to be true, not just subjectively interpreted and "explained".

You're too lazy to investigate and find that, Yes, blood can be manufactured ! And yet you want us to believe you're claim that 2000 yrs. ago a legend in his own mind, who uses an ancient children's story about a whale, spent 3 days dead in the belly of the earth only to rise again alive ?!

Get serious! ....... The "whale of a tale" is next to impossible according to the knowledge that we now have of whales and large fish, and the jeebus claim is impossible, therefore both stories can be considered untrue as real events.

Of course we don't know some things. But that does not mean that you automatically fill that gap with a supernatural fictitious character who has a grab bag of magic tricks.....(God did it !!)

Thanks for the info.
I honestly couldn't read the whole thing, but it sounds like mixing or manipulating multiple stuff together and make artificial blood.

Then don't bother making a judgement on it !

see it can go on and on.

It sure can go on and on and on ...........Who gave us god then ? What created god ?

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #340 on: July 18, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
Thanks for the info.
see it can go on and on.
It is certainly great invention of something artificial and substitute for blood.
We can't 'get' any chemical element from scratch, as matter isn't simply created. We can, however, get oxygen from water and other chemicals.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather worship stars because they're pretty cool and they don't hate women, science, or non-heterosexuals.

Offline naemhni

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
yes, we can make blood.

Basically, yes.  It's not perfect, but the science is in its infancy.  Future versions of artificial blood will be better.  Things like this always improve over time.

Not sure how old you are, but when I was a kid, there was a huge brouhaha over Louise Brown, the world's first "test tube baby".  Today, in vitro fertilization is routine, and no one thinks anything of it.  We're now starting to see the same thing with other medical advances such as artificial blood and artificially grown organs using stem cells.  Within our lifetimes, such things will become completely routine as well.  I'm not a futurist, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that things like growing your own replacement organs will be commonplace within the next twenty or thirty years.

see it can go on and on.

This is basically a restatement of the First Cause argument, isn't it?

I just scanned it.  As young as the technology is, I'd be very surprised if there weren't side effects.

Please re-read the last word there.  Several times.  I can all but guarantee you that medical science will figure out how to make "real blood" before too terribly long.  We're already starting to grow organs from stem cells.  There's no reason that a similar procedure couldn't be used for blood as well.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-2
« Reply #342 on: July 18, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »

Thanks for the info.
see it can go on and on.

One more thing:

It appears that you may be interested in science ?

Well let me ask..have you read at least two good science books from any atheist scientists ?

Any at all from Carl Sagan ?  Neil deGrasse Tyson ? Victor Stenger ? Richard Dawkins ? Dan Dennett ? or any other great atheist science writers ?

If not, then you need to shut the fuck up until you do........It's both annoying and painful to watch, when theists come in here and tie themselves into mental knots when they start talking about scientific things that they know nothing about.

Cheers  ;D

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-2
« Reply #343 on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »

I don't know about you, but I'd rather worship stars because they're pretty cool and they don't hate women, science, or non-heterosexuals.

Exactly ! And after all they are our maker  ;)

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +23/-1
« Reply #344 on: July 18, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
Velkyn needs some evidence.
Well, if evidence is what you are looking for. I am going to ask you something.
When you say "there is no God". I will say "prove it".
Please just don't conveniently say you can't prove something that doesn't exist.
I already know you THINK "God doesn't exist" but you know, just to think doesn't count here.
You have to come up with evidence. (Man! I am starting to sound like atheist)
So you just can't say "I can't prove something that doesn't exist" (HI. Jeff PT) :police:
Your answer should have some bullet proof evidence.
So prove it.
And Please, please do not waste your and my time coming up with stupid excuses like "There is no miracles so there is no God"or"Some ignorant christian guy named John failed to come up with an evidence, therefore "God doesn't exist".
Because if you do, I am gonna call you (IGNORANT) >:(
Define your god (in detail) and I will prove the it does not exist.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #345 on: July 18, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
John,

you explained it in a way that I could at least understand what you were saying.  However, I am still missing your point. Are you making an analogy?  Or are you making an argument?

Take some time, gather your thoughts and make a coherent post please.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline John 3 16

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-22
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
"If not, then you need to shut the fuck up until you do........"
Very scientific, Golf gone wild :)

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +107/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #347 on: July 18, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »

Your incredulity is irrelevant, logic doesn't care what you are emotionally willing to accept or reject.

Even if you were given the benefit of the doubt, you've made no argument that logically follows into your conclusion.  You are presenting what is called a non-sequitir, where even if we bothered to take you seriously.. it still doesn't reasonably lead anywhere.  The issue I have is that this kind of fallacy is so simple to point out, how could you possibly not know immediately what is wrong with the argument you're trying to make?

How does not knowing where X come from have to do with Y existing?

Why do I even have to dumb it down to this level to point how ridiculous your argument is?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:07:29 AM by Omen »
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me