Author Topic: Phelps-a-thon: Sheer genius!!  (Read 951 times)

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Phelps-a-thon: Sheer genius!!
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »
Hey, y'all. I know I'm not around here much anymore, but I thought this needed to be seen by as many people as possible. So here it is.

Okay. The Fred Phelps clan is going to be protesting at a high school about 20 minutes away from me tomorrow. In researching it, I came across a website that is quite possibly the most ingenious thing I have ever seen. This is a great example of...well, it's not civil disobedience. It's not fighting fire with fire. It's just....a great way to deal with people like him.

The website is set up so that anyone who wants to can donate money for every minute that the Phelps' protest. The money goes to the Kansas Equality Coalition, which is working towards equality for the lesbian/gay/bisexual community. I pasted the link on my facebook, and I encourage any of you that are disgusted by this man to also spread the wor, and, if possible, donate.

http://phelps-a-thon.com/mulvane.html

*note: I am posting this on all the atheism forums.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
Re: Phelps-a-thon: Sheer genius!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:19 PM »
Using their protest to raise money for the gay community is a great idea! This is the greatest form of counter-protest I've heard.  Most people simply say to ignore the group and to not have a counter-protest but realistically that's impossible. Thanks for sharing the link, urs, I will definitely spread the word.  :)

-M
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »
Hey, y'all. I know I'm not around here much anymore
Then login more often. We'd love to see more of you here. :)
Former Moderator Account

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »
So in effect WBC protests fund gay rights groups.

That's a pretty decent counter-protest. I approve!
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
The only thing I'd be worried about is if the counter messes up and never stops, but other than that it's a great idea. They also offer a one-time donation.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
Hey, y'all. I know I'm not around here much anymore, but I thought this needed to be seen by as many people as possible. So here it is.

Okay. The Fred Phelps clan is going to be protesting at a high school about 20 minutes away from me tomorrow. In researching it, I came across a website that is quite possibly the most ingenious thing I have ever seen. This is a great example of...well, it's not civil disobedience. It's not fighting fire with fire. It's just....a great way to deal with people like him.

The website is set up so that anyone who wants to can donate money for every minute that the Phelps' protest. The money goes to the Kansas Equality Coalition, which is working towards equality for the lesbian/gay/bisexual community. I pasted the link on my facebook, and I encourage any of you that are disgusted by this man to also spread the wor, and, if possible, donate.

http://phelps-a-thon.com/mulvane.html

*note: I am posting this on all the atheism forums.

That would be fine if the Phelp actually cared about what they were doing, rather than it being a way to try to get people to react so that they could sue them
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.