Author Topic: Bible Contradiction Graph  (Read 34951 times)

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +207/-1
Re: Bible Contradiction Graph
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
I think there area few biblical contradictions here - enough for most Christians anyway
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
When someone says there are no contradictions but proceeds to explain why what I read isn't contradiction. Does that mean you see the contradiction and you found a way using context to explain it away. Doesn't that in and of itself mean that there is something wrong with passage and can't be understood without further and subjective interpretation. So if there is nothing wrong or no contradictions, shouldn't every one who is a true believer read the word of perfect divine being exactly the same.
The bible was pronounced dead at the scene

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +503/-120
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
What the hell is a "true believer", and how do you determine who is or isn't?

-Nam
Quote from: David Garrett Arnold
there are oceans of words aged in prayer,
against geometric lines, and cloudbeaten skies;
credulous allure—slowly captivated in hearts fair—
trees and flowers bloomed in grace upon one's eyes.

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
I really don't know because I am not a beliver. It was intended to be a question and a statement. Maybe I should have been a little clearer or left that part out completely or used a question mark. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:04:53 PM by 1makesitwrong »

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +503/-120
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »
I really don't know because I am not a beliver. It was intended to be a question and a statement. Maybe I should have been a little clearer or left that part out completely or used a question mark. 

Belief[1] is a contradiction[2].

-Nam
 1. an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists [without evidence] /Google
 2. a person, thing, or situation in which inconsistent elements are present. /Google]

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1085/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
When someone says there are no contradictions but proceeds to explain why what I read isn't contradiction. Does that mean you see the contradiction and you found a way using context to explain it away. Doesn't that in and of itself mean that there is something wrong with passage and can't be understood without further and subjective interpretation. So if there is nothing wrong or no contradictions, shouldn't every one who is a true believer read the word of perfect divine being exactly the same.

When someone says that there are no contractions, they are saying that their interpretation is not open for discussion. That they have eked out the only exegesis possible, and all efforts to describe the passage(s) in any other way are heresy at best, the work of the devil at worst.

Plus, others are taking it out of context, mislabeling the words as allegory, metaphor, literal or some other obviously mistaken POV, and deliberately distorting the obvious meaning for nefarious reasons. Again, that meddling devil is involved.

So while nobody is on the same side, and they all think they are on the same team, the rest of us have to put up with variety that makes the cereal aisle seem like a monoculture. But, that's the nice thing about the bible. It meets all christian believers needs, 100% of the time, whether everyone else likes it or not.

Think of believers as huge multinational, billion dollar corporations, and the bible as tax laws. Except that they don't need lawyers to make the loopholes or to interpret any passage to their advantage. It is kind of a giant do it yourself project.

Can you tell I'm a bit peeved about the lack of consistency in christianity, and how believers gloss over the issue every time it is mentioned.
Anyone can beat around the bush. But unless you have permission from the bush, you probably shouldn't.

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2015, 05:31:08 AM »
Oh I don't disagree at all. I just can't wrap my head around anyone not seeing the contradictions. I guess it stems from my own personal experience. I was a beliver who decided to read the Bible from front to back. I was going through the lowest point in my life and my uncle (a pentecostal preacher) told me that was the only way to fix my life and get closer to god. I didn't even get past the first two pages before I saw my first problem with what I was reading. I honestly wasn't looking for contradictions but I couldn't ignore what I had read. When I asked my uncle for clarification, I knew immediately when he was done that there was something wrong. It became clear within a couple months that I believed nothing from the bible anymore. I was calling myself an atheist within a year. That was 7 years ago and I have never looked back.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +220/-85
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »
Do you mean you were a believer and then started reading the bible for the first time EVER? Or for the first time from beginning to end in one go?
It's good to know the door can still be open wide.

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »
I had read bits and pieces but never front to back. I consider myself a christian at the time and I had no doubt of my belief prior to my uncles advice.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +503/-120
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
Do you mean you were a believer and then started reading the bible for the first time EVER? Or for the first time from beginning to end in one go?

You do realize that most Christians do not read the Bibles they possess? Frankly I don't believe it's because they don't want too but because they don't understand it. Many are told to take it literally but when metaphor is used they may not understand the metaphor itself. I know many people that have no clue what a metaphor is let alone how to read one. And the Bible is chalk full of metaphor, alliterations, allegory, etc., some parts of the Bible is nothing but poetry. And trust me when I say: most people, no matter what level of education, do not, can not, and have no inclination to understand poetry. They think they do, believe they do but actually don't. So most who try to read the Bible give up within pages.

Those who actually read the Bible usually are forced to read it by a person higher than them (not a supernatural being, an actual person) and how it should be read, and what it means whether that's what it means or not.

Or a person decides to read it on their own, with or without the knowledge to understand it, research it, or the like. And most who do: fall where they fall.

-Nam
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:19:47 AM by Nam »

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2015, 01:40:09 PM »
To be honest, I was really surprised when I read my first contradiction. I really wasn't looking for them. I however couldn't just let it go and that led me to questioning the whole religion. Then eventually to being an atheist.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +130/-2
« Reply #243 on: February 03, 2015, 02:05:53 AM »
Well, you know what they say, the shortest road to Atheism is through the bible.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #244 on: February 03, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »
Yes you are right. That is why I find it so hard to except, when people say there is no problems with what is written in the bible.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +503/-120
« Reply #245 on: February 03, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »
Yes you are right. That is why I find it so hard to except, when people say there is no problems with what is written in the bible.

That's because they haven't read it. Or it validates their hatred of others. Or they're so selfish that they believe they'll see their loved ones after death. Or they're just plain ignorant of reality. Or they've been brainwashed since birth to believe it. Or...

-Nam

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +130/-2
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2015, 04:24:38 AM »
I don't know who first said it but, to most christians the bible is like an online licence agreement ... scroll to the and and click "I agree"
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +503/-120
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
I don't know who first said it but, to most christians the bible is like an online licence agreement ... scroll to the and and click "I agree"

If you don't we'll send you to hell.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +869/-34
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »

sounds like kcrady
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Fellow
  • Darwins +617/-9
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »

I think it's more like the EULA with standalone software.

One day, you find that SalvationSoft is a really useful, beneficial software package for you to use.  So you run out, get a copy, and install it.  BAM - you get hit with the EULA.  It's really long, and all you really want is to use SalvationSoft anyway, so it's fine if you just click through with a quick 'I agree' so that you can just get started.

Years go by.  You've gotten pretty accustomed to SalvationSoft - it pops up at start up and, at least once a week, you click the 'Update Now' button that occasionally pops up.  And it feels like just having it makes your computer run really smoothly.  But it's time to do some computer maintenance - gotta clean up that hard drive!  So you go through a bunch of uninstalls, disk clean up utilities, yadayadayada.  Ooops!  Gotta re-install SalvationSoft.

You know what?  I've got a little bit of time this go around.  I'm going to read this EULA...
...holy shitThat's what I had agreed to?  I'm supposed to periodically replace my RAM, use only a CRT monitor, and hop on one foot every time I shut down my machine?  Well, I don't really agree with all that, but SalvationSoft has been pretty beneficial to me, and me not doing any of that hasn't really been a problem or anything at this point, so...
...whatever, 'I agree' (and, mind you, without the slightest hint of re-evaluating whether or not SalvationSoft is worthwhile to have in the first place.  I mean...what does it actually do?).
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +503/-120
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
^you talk too much.

;)

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Fellow
  • Darwins +617/-9
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
^you talk too much.

;)

That's what everyone keeps telling me.  And I don't understand it.  It's not like I just keep going and going and going saying the same things over and over again.  I mean, it's completely fine when they tell me that.  What I don't understand is why they don't get that's it's just not true.  You would think that after I explain all the various ways that I am not overtly talkative that they would get it.  It's not like I say the same things over and over and over again or anything.  I don't get it.

After someone tells me I talk too much, I tell them all about how I'm not that talkative.  It's clearly the case - after all, if I were the type to talk too much, would I really be able to spend 30 minutes telling someone all the ways that I don't talk too much?  Didn't think so.

It's not as if I just repeat myself, saying the same things over and over and over again.  It's completely fine when someone tells me that I talk too much, but after explaining, in point-by-point detail, how I do not talk too much, I'd expect them to finally understand that I do not, in fact, talk too much.  I don't think it's too much to ask - just understand that I really don't talk too much.  It's not like I say the same things over and over and over again.

Anyway, how about that local sports team?  Aren't they the worst?  I like candy.  Bubblegum and taffy.  Oh yeah, and this one time when I was at the corner of 5th and Washington, and this chick (I thought was a chick at least) propositioned me, and I said no - good times.  I said no.  I totally said no.  Regardless of what he says - he's a liar.  But yeah...taffy.

<insert sarcasm-clarifying emoticon>
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/