Author Topic: Bible Contradiction Graph  (Read 23986 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
Re: Bible Contradiction Graph
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »
I do almost nothing (in my free time) but study the word of God and things related. I have found quite the opposite of what you say to be true. The deeper I go the more truth I see.

I'm quoting this bit because, honestly, people like you have always perplexed me. And I've known a few.

Is it because that's what you think god wants of you? Because, if that is the case, precious few people would ever get saved, and it seems to me that you would be missing 90% of the enjoyment found in the world created for you.

Is it because you find it so fascinating that you can't tear yourself away? Because then it sounds more like an addiction than worship.

Is it because you are afraid to face life without constantly re-affirming the minutae of what god might want? Because that's just kind of sad, and doesn't sound like the sort of existence a loving creator would want.

Honestly...not even being facetious here...it just doesn't seem like a normal way to live.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:32:04 PM by jynnan tonnix »

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »
I would also encourage you to really look at something like Carbon dating. live clams have been dated at millions of years. How about reading something scientific. The young earth theory has nothing to do with God. Only Science.

If you're going to rail on about science, make sure you get your facts straight first. Since carbon dating makes absolutely no claims about being able to date things older than about 60,000 years, your statement that someone carbon dated clams at a million means either that a) the person doing the dating didn't know what they were doing b) the type of dating has been misstated or c) you've been lied to.

You should check that out and see where you went wrong.

As long as you're here, may I ask you a question. Regarding this young earth thing. I've asked this of many theists and never gotten an answer. I am always ignored.

If humans and dinosaurs coexisted (I'm assuming you think that to be the case because of your young earth statement), why have we not found human and dinosaur fossils intermixed? All a creation scientist would have to do is go out and find one case of human and dinosaur fossils being mixed together and poof, evolution is out the window. There are plenty of places people can dig legally, especially researchers. Why haven't your people done it? If everything died at once, it should be a cinch.

Added: We know where literally billions of animal fossils are located, still unexcavated. All over the world. We're not talking about anything rare here. Just wanted you to know how simple it should be. And by the way, scientists have pointed out that the biosystem couldn't possibly have supported all the known fossilized critters in a short period of time (a thousand years or so) because there would have been nowhere enough food for all of them. And since it takes specific conditions for the remains to fossilize, most living critters decay rather than fossilize after death. So the fossils we do have represent a very tiny percentage of all the animals that have lived on earth. And like I said, we know where billions of fossils are right now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:02:12 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »
I do almost nothing (in my free time) but study the word of God and things related. I have found quite the opposite of what you say to be true. The deeper I go the more truth I see.

I'm quoting this bit because, honestly, people like you have always perplexed me. And I've known a few.

Is it because that's what you think god wants of you? Because, if that is the case, precious few people would ever get saved, and it seems to me that you would be missing 90% of the enjoyment found in the world created for you.

Is it because you find it so fascinating that you can't tear yourself away? Because then it sounds more like an addiction than worship.

Is it because you are afraid to face life without constantly re-affirming the minutae of what god might want? Because that's just kind of sad, and doesn't sound like the sort of existence a loving creator would want.

Honestly...not even being facetious here...it just doesn't seem like a normal way to live.

I think he "studies" it so often based on having poor reading comprehension; just read his replies to me.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:22:07 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »
The thought of Nam with moderator powers made me shudder and laugh out loud at the same time.

You, and others, are dead set against something that is spiritual not natural. Until you accept there is something beyond the natural world you see.

There is abundant and easily verified evidence for the natural world. Using empirical reasoning to investigate it has led to unprecedented improvements in the human condition.

On the other hand, applying the same criteria to the "spiritual" world leads to no success except for charlatans like the late Sylvia Brown and Benny Hinn. If you want us to accept this "spiritual" thing, present the same caliber of evidence science can produce to support evolution, gravity and germ theory.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
The thought of Nam with moderator powers made me shudder and laugh out loud at the same time.

You, and others, are dead set against something that is spiritual not natural. Until you accept there is something beyond the natural world you see.

There is abundant and easily verified evidence for the natural world. Using empirical reasoning to investigate it has led to unprecedented improvements in the human condition.

On the other hand, applying the same criteria to the "spiritual" world leads to no success except for charlatans like the late Sylvia Brown and Benny Hinn. If you want us to accept this "spiritual" thing, present the same caliber of evidence science can produce to support evolution, gravity and germ theory.

I believe I said something about string theroy...
I can't help but look at those pages (human genome) and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind.
-Francis Collins lead scientist Human Genome project

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »

...Is it because that's what you think god wants of you? Because, if that is the case, precious few people would ever get saved, and it seems to me that you would be missing 90% of the enjoyment found in the world created for you.

I find it strange as well.  I'd almost call such studying a meta-activity, because it's approaching the world from at least one degree of separation, using scripture as a lens to view reality.

Just as I'd think it a waste to spend 99% of My practice time reading a book on the history of the clarinet and only 1% playing exercises and pieces, I think that engagement with the real world would be a more productive application of belief.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »
Harbinger, I'm not a moderator, but could you please use some paragraphs in your posts?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2013, 11:21:49 PM »
I would also encourage you to really look at something like Carbon dating. live clams have been dated at millions of years. How about reading something scientific. The young earth theory has nothing to do with God. Only Science.

If you're going to rail on about science, make sure you get your facts straight first. Since carbon dating makes absolutely no claims about being able to date things older than about 60,000 years, your statement that someone carbon dated clams at a million means either that a) the person doing the dating didn't know what they were doing b) the type of dating has been misstated or c) you've been lied to.

You should check that out and see where you went wrong.

As long as you're here, may I ask you a question. Regarding this young earth thing. I've asked this of many theists and never gotten an answer. I am always ignored.

If humans and dinosaurs coexisted (I'm assuming you think that to be the case because of your young earth statement), why have we not found human and dinosaur fossils intermixed? All a creation scientist would have to do is go out and find one case of human and dinosaur fossils being mixed together and poof, evolution is out the window. There are plenty of places people can dig legally, especially researchers. Why haven't your people done it? If everything died at once, it should be a cinch.

Added: We know where literally billions of animal fossils are located, still unexcavated. All over the world. We're not talking about anything rare here. Just wanted you to know how simple it should be. And by the way, scientists have pointed out that the biosystem couldn't possibly have supported all the known fossilized critters in a short period of time (a thousand years or so) because there would have been nowhere enough food for all of them. And since it takes specific conditions for the remains to fossilize, most living critters decay rather than fossilize after death. So the fossils we do have represent a very tiny percentage of all the animals that have lived on earth. And like I said, we know where billions of fossils are right now.
I'll answer that but first a question of my own. If I give or mention some proof, some scientific theory, or fossil evidence, for this or any other topic, would you look into it? Or are you so secure in your own theology that you wouldn't want to rock the boat? I will promise I don't mind.rocking my boat I will look into anything you all mention. there are rock carvings made of people interacting with dinos. Also, there is one fossil of a human foot print alongside those of a dino... both thought to bet he same age, of course. do you know that one thing that must happen to create a fossil is berial? It must be quick too. This is rather interesting. Dead reptiles sink while dead mammals float. What about the dino bone found with soft tissue still intact? Young earth is a scientific theory. It's based on the same science that carbon dating is based on. elements that decay or increase at a rate we can measure. I guess you would be surprised to learn there are quite a few scientists who are also Christian. So if you are so sure please rock your boat. It's funny you would accuse me of being narrow minded yet not look into what I present. thus showing you are not truly interested in all knowledge.
I can't help but look at those pages (human genome) and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »

I'll answer that but first a question of my own.
These qualifiers rarely end well.....
Young earth is a scientific theory.
Yep, right about there it starts to deteriorate.....
It's funny you would accuse me of being narrow minded yet not look into what I present. thus showing you are not truly interested in all knowledge.
And done.

The predictability of these posters lately is really disappointing.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »

I'll answer that but first a question of my own.
These qualifiers rarely end well.....

nice that you didn't include the question.
so I assume this is a no you won't look it up?

meanwhile I'm reading about c-14 and N-14. It's even something to the effect of defending c-14 testing to a creationist. I'm refreshing myself as I was asked. "looking into where I went wrong." I was wrong by the way. the clam was dead no more than a day. yet c-14 gave it 1600 years of age.

while I'm at it...
 If c-14 can only measure time as far as 60,000 yrs how can you know dinos were millions of years ago?

what about the intact soft dino tissue after millions of years?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2013, 12:27:50 AM »
while I'm at it...
 If c-14 can only measure time as far as 60,000 yrs how can you know dinos were millions of years ago?

Because C-14 is only one form of radiometric dating.  Geologists and paleontologists use other isotopes when studying more distant time periods.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »
I'll answer that but first a question of my own. If I give or mention some proof, some scientific theory, or fossil evidence, for this or any other topic, would you look into it? Or are you so secure in your own theology that you wouldn't want to rock the boat? I will promise I don't mind.rocking my boat I will look into anything you all mention. there are rock carvings made of people interacting with dinos. Also, there is one fossil of a human foot print alongside those of a dino... both thought to bet he same age, of course. do you know that one thing that must happen to create a fossil is berial? It must be quick too. This is rather interesting. Dead reptiles sink while dead mammals float. What about the dino bone found with soft tissue still intact? Young earth is a scientific theory. It's based on the same science that carbon dating is based on. elements that decay or increase at a rate we can measure. I guess you would be surprised to learn there are quite a few scientists who are also Christian. So if you are so sure please rock your boat. It's funny you would accuse me of being narrow minded yet not look into what I present. thus showing you are not truly interested in all knowledge.

I don't mind at all discussing your side of the story. Do be prepared for me to bring up fraud if fraud is involved, bad science if bad science is involved. For instance, I assume the man track/dinosaur track you're talking about refers to the Paluxy River tracks in Texas. A fairly balanced critique of the findings can be found here: http://ncse.com/cej/2/4/paluxy-man-creationist-piltdown.

You are free, of course, to side with the possibility that they are real. Most creationists have come to the conclusion that they are not, and of course scientists have concluded that they are not real too. I feel that there is adequate evidence to support the conclusion that they are eroded dinosaur tracks, not human tracks. Their size alone would seem to minimize the possibility that they were human, except you guys have a giant in the bible, and you can use that to point out that of course giants would have larger feet. In any case, one piece of questionable evidence is not adequate to get me to change my mind.

The 8th-14th century Cambodian temple stegosaur is a bit mysterious. But it was carved somewhere around a thousand years ago, long after any flood, so if all the dinosaurs died during the flood, how would one representation of those critters show up 2000 years later? It is one carving, in one place, at the wrong time, and is more likely something fanciful than something real. But to be fair, I will call it one possible bit of evidence that dinosaurs lived longer than scientists think. That would not automatically mean that the earth is only 6,000 years old. It could mean that one species survived millions of years longer than anyone suspected. One carved rock, while possibly interesting, proves nothing concrete. It only means that there is a possibility that we should be more open to dinosaurs living longer than we thought.

The big problem, from the scientific point of view, is that the stegosaurus was one of the oldest dinosaurs, and the only place we've ever found their fossils is in North America. Science says they died out 150 million years ago. A stone carving from a thousand years ago implies that they existed elsewhere during that time period. If the flood was supposed to kill off all the dinosaurs and one type survived, you have as much explaining to do was us.

I'm not quite sure where you got the humans float/dinosaurs sink idea. Not all humans float, water temperature plays a role, and not all dinosaurs were big hunking monsters. Many were dog sized. Seems like they would float. But show me something that convincingly explains why they floated and we didn't and I'll listen. And if you have an explanation as to why all the dinosaurs are always buried in the same order (science says that the stegosaurus lived 150 million years ago, the T. Rex lived 66 million years ago, and you never find a T. Rex buried deeper than a Stegosaurus, for instance), that would be nice.

You should know that a scientist can walk into a newly found fossil field, estimate the date of the rock, and accurately, before the digging starts, tell us what kinds of dinosaurs they will find. They can say with certainty that they will or will not find T. Rex fossils in the rock because of its age. And they have yet to surprise themselves and be wrong.

If your creation scientists can simply go out and find a stegosaurus and t.rex fossil side by side, you win. Have your guys get on it.

The soft tissue thing has been explained to the satisfation of many scientists. There was a controversy even among scientists about whether or not it was real. They have now found that the high iron content of blood cells appears to ward off degradation. This may or may not be the last word on the subject, but it is being accepted as plausible in the scientific world, and since that's the side I'm on, I'll live with it for now.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/5107/20131127/iron-preserves-ancient-dinosaur-soft-tissue-fossils.htm

The big problem you have is that we have literally billions of fossils to study, and we find them in specific orders. And we do not find any modern mammals mixed in with the dinosaurs either. So I'm guessing that all mammals float, all dinosaurs sink. (Added: We do find mammals fossilized along side dinosaurs. But they are old, long extinct mammals, not the newbies you insist were on the ark.)

And I guess we should ignore the fact that birds are actually dinosaurs, further evolved. Not all the dinosaurs died off when the asteroid hit. Some were evolving into birds during that time period, and those little chickadees in your back yard are, indeed, tiny little dinosaurs. You could test one by putting in the water and seeing if it sank (just kidding)  ;D.

Anyway, the world of science has found billions of pieces of evidence that point to an old earth. Not only via dinosaurs and plant fossils, but there is also evidence in geology, chemistry, the study of continental drift, plus other sources in biology, along with, for more recent times, the addition of anthropology/archaeology. And of course, the findings of historians who study the oldest times that they can study. None of those researchers can find anything that even hints at a world-wide flood.

Consider these bits of evidence.

Aspen trees grow at a known rate. Aspens, more often than not, grow out of the same root system, and any given clump of aspen trees is likely to be genetically identical (meaning all the trees are coming from the same seed via their vast underground root system). And it has been found that, while the trees themselves live a relatively short time (less than 200 years), there is a colony of aspen that covers 106 acres, and every tree in that colony is genetically identical. Meaning they all came from the same seed. How long ago? Based on what we know about the growth rate of aspen, it is estimated that that colony is 80,000 years old. Which, if I remember right, predates your flood.

Researchers have been drilling ice cores out of the snow fields in Greenland for many years. The can easily see the annual layers in the cores because the top of the now melts in the summer and the summer snow also gets a layer of pollen blown over the ocean from Canada. And these layers pile up, one atop the other, for years and years and years (and they also occasionally find ash from volcanic eruptions, which is cool). How many layers have they found in one deep ice core? At least 110,000 years. But don't worry too much about them. You'll need to be more concerned about the ice corps drilled out in Antarctica, which go back 750,000 years.

One of the layers of volcanic ash they found clearly comes from a volcano that was estimated to have blown its top 57,500 years ago. Where was the ash? Right where it was supposed to be, 57,500 layers deep. (Note: at that depth, the layers are so thin it is impossible to count each one with exact precision, so the exact year is not possible to discern. But the source of the ash was provable, and scientists are comfortable with their date estimates both for the ice core and the actual date of the eruption, which had already been calculated using other means years earlier.)

I know your side feels otherwise on these and other related subjects. And I'm sure you have more evidence to present. If you want to continue this discussion, we should probably start a new thread, because we're drifting off the subject of this one. If you want to do that, let me know.

We are most likely going still going to disagree when the discussion ends, but if we both put forth our various reasons for what we believe or think is true, at least we will understand each other a bit better. And who knows, maybe one of us will be more persuasive than the other and someone will change their mind.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:43:24 AM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »
I believe I said something about string theroy...

Which relates to proof about a "spiritual" world how? String theory is one that attempts to explain aspects of the material, observable world.

I'll answer that but first a question of my own. If I give or mention some proof, some scientific theory, or fossil evidence, for this or any other topic, would you look into it?

Sure; fair is fair. I don't have a lot of hope that you'll bring anything new to our attention, though.

Or are you so secure in your own theology that you wouldn't want to rock the boat?

You aren't really equating atheism with religious belief, are you? Are you one of those theists that needs to learn the difference between belief in something and the absence of that belief?

I will promise I don't mind.rocking my boat I will look into anything you all mention.

Good to know. That would put you ahead of a lot of theist visitors to this site.

there are rock carvings made of people interacting with dinos. Also, there is one fossil of a human foot print alongside those of a dino... both thought to bet he same age, of course.

References to these supposed carvings would be appreciated. You do realize that even if the carvings are real, there's no guarantee the figures depicted are dinosaurs? Many pictorial artifacts show abstract or less than realistic images.

As to the supposed human footprints beside dinosaur tracks, I assume you mean this fossil formation:http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/paluxy.html.

As the article explains, the resemblance to human prints is extremely superficial. Similarities can readily be explained by mud oozing into parts of a dinosaur's print after the foot was lifted, and by the way some dinosaurs placed their feet. The tracks also fail to match known criteria for human feet and stride patterns. And of course the prints and the formation they're a part of can be reliably dated to tens of millions of years before humans existed.

do you know that one thing that must happen to create a fossil is berial? It must be quick too. This is rather interesting. Dead reptiles sink while dead mammals float.

Which has what to do with anything?

What about the dino bone found with soft tissue still intact?

Presumably you mean this find:http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CC/CC371_1.html. To sum up: the soft tissue was hardly "intact", it only softened as part of the process of cleaning the fossil, it isn't clear if the tissue is part of the original fossil and the age of a fossil isn't determined by how well-preserved it is.

Young earth is a scientific theory. It's based on the same science that carbon dating is based on. elements that decay or increase at a rate we can measure.

No. Young earth theory is expressly a religious apologetic, attempting to ride on the coattails of science by borrowing selected parts of the latter. In any case, such methods as carbon and radiometric dating, along with discoveries like the continuing expansion of space have thoroughly disproven it to the satisfaction of mainstream science. It is only adhered to by theists desperate to shore up their faith.

I guess you would be surprised to learn there are quite a few scientists who are also Christian.

Not a surprise at all. Very few of them are also Young Earth Creationists, though.

So if you are so sure please rock your boat. It's funny you would accuse me of being narrow minded yet not look into what I present. thus showing you are not truly interested in all knowledge.

You have no way of knowing the background of the atheists on this forum before we choose to tell you. So don't make assumptions about what we have or haven't done. Nor are you the first YEC to visit this site; we've heard their apologetics quite a few times.

Lastly, to make your posts more readable, insert line breaks in them.

Like this.

It's courteous and makes it more likely they'll be read all the way through.

Good luck and enjoy your time here.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »

The funny thing is: they all come in this thinking we haven't read the Bible, or any of the articles dealing with the things they say are evidence. Almost every single one of them comes in thinking they already won when in actuality, they already lost.

It baffles me at the sheer stupidity.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2013, 01:17:12 AM »
As I'm reading through this theory and that theory. I realized something. This whole section was supposed to be about "Bible contradiction" what happened to that topic? I'm the new guy did i so easily guide it to another topic... If so it. wasn't what I wanted. maybe this board has been off topic for sometime? I picked this board because I have knowledge to contribute on proper hermanutics. If I were a scientist perhaps I would have picked something else.... just a thought.... Should we continue with science or get back to the original topic? i'm good either way.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »
The funny thing is: they all come in this thinking we haven't read the Bible, or any of the articles dealing with the things they say are evidence. Almost every single one of them comes in thinking they already won when in actuality, they already lost.

-Nam

They don't get out of their bubbles much. One advantage I think most atheists have is that we've thought a lot about religious belief, even those of us who weren't theists originally. Since we're still a minority, we're constantly confronted with religion, at least in places like the US. This leads to us getting pretty familiar with at least the majority faiths of our home region and their apologetic arguments.

By contrast, a lot of theists exist in communities of like-minded people and often don't hear many dissenting points of view. So they find coming to terms with atheism difficult ("You must believe in something! It's impossible to believe in nothing!") and are genuinely baffled why we don't find things like Pascal's Wager unanswerable.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
As I'm reading through this theory and that theory. I realized something. This whole section was supposed to be about "Bible contradiction" what happened to that topic? I'm the new guy did i so easily guide it to another topic... If so it. wasn't what I wanted. maybe this board has been off topic for sometime? I picked this board because I have knowledge to contribute on proper hermanutics. If I were a scientist perhaps I would have picked something else.... just a thought.... Should we continue with science or get back to the original topic? i'm good either way.

Topics, like at other message boards, tend to go off in other directions--related, and sometimes not related to the original topic post.

However, everyone responding to you have been responding to what you have stated in your comments. So, if you feel the topic has gone a different direction, blame yourself.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:25:20 AM by Nam »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »

-Nam

They don't get out of their bubbles much. One advantage I think most atheists have is that we've thought a lot about religious belief, even those of us who weren't theists originally. Since we're still a minority, we're constantly confronted with religion, at least in places like the US. This leads to us getting pretty familiar with at least the majority faiths of our home region and their apologetic arguments.

By contrast, a lot of theists exist in communities of like-minded people and often don't hear many dissenting points of view. So they find coming to terms with atheism difficult ("You must believe in something! It's impossible to believe in nothing!") and are genuinely baffled why we don't find things like Pascal's Wager unanswerable.

I get that but it still baffles me at the stupidity. I mean, do they think we twiddle our thumbs here, or something?

-Nam

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2013, 01:27:27 AM »

We have gotten a bit off topic. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though we try to minimize it.

I could start a "Dinosaurs and a Young Earth" thread on the Evolution board, if you like.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:29:00 AM by wright »
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »

-Nam

disagree... I assume in fact you have at least read some, perhaps most. Even perhaps all of it. However, I do assume that it was read with the wrong motives, at least by most of "your people."

At any rate for either of us to assume we bring something "new" to a 2000 year old debate... well, wouldn't that be haughty of us?

As I said before if minds will be changed it's not me that will do it. That power, glory, and honor belongs to God alone!

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2013, 01:40:30 AM »
disagree... I assume in fact you have at least read some, perhaps most. Even perhaps all of it. However, I do assume that it was read with the wrong motives, at least by most of "your people."

harbinger... you really need to be careful about making assumptions. It's not polite and rarely accurate. A good many atheists here can tell you that reading the Bible while they were still theists helped move them towards atheism.

At any rate for either of us to assume we bring something "new" to a 2000 year old debate... well, wouldn't that be haughty of us?

A valid point. For my part, I don't flatter myself I'm swaying anyone towards atheism by posting here. I participate in the atheist community here and other places to raise atheism's visibility a bit, educate myself and air concerns with like-minded people.

As I said before if minds will be changed it's not me that will do it. That power, glory, and honor belongs to God alone!

Please don't preach like that here. It's rude and expressly against the site rules.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »

"wrong motives"?

What was the 'motive'?

"your people"?

Bigot much?

I never pretended I knew everything, you did. You came in thinking you knew everything about us--you don't. You came in with the assumptions, not us.

Then why are you here? To preach to us? For one so bent on rules being followed, that is against the rules. You have to back up what you say, you haven't. All you've said is, "Well, I could provide evidence but you all are so close-minded, it'd be a waste because you won't listen." -- Paraphrasing, of course.

We get people like you here all the time. You are here one second, then you're gone. You preach, then leave and feel as if you've won a victory.

You've won nothing. If you're going to state things as fact,then provide the evidence or go away because you're wasting our time.

You came in with a superior attitude, and you're fucking with the wrong people. Despite what you think of me right now, this is the nice me. Keep pushing, and you'll find out why I have "Watched" under my avatar; it's not from being a nice guy.

-Nam

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2013, 01:42:15 AM »

[/quote]

as I said before I study All religions. even those far flung, I'll never know one of those people ones. I like to get out of my bubble. obviously I even seek out "dissenting points of view" I didn't get to where I am today with no deep thought and no investigation. I, for one, will never fit into any mold you have shown yet. I'm not who or what you all think I am.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
LEARN TO USE THE DAMN QUOTE FEATURE!

I have already told you to use the "testing area" to properly use the quoting function. Copy/pasting people comments without attribution makes it plagiarism--another rule.

Stop trying to discuss things here until you can properly discuss things here!

-Nam

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »
as I said before I study All religions. even those far flung, I'll never know one of those people ones. I like to get out of my bubble. obviously I even seek out "dissenting points of view" I didn't get to where I am today with no deep thought and no investigation. I, for one, will never fit into any mold you have shown yet. I'm not who or what you all think I am.

And I am rightfully corrected for making assumptions about you. FWIW, my apologies for lumping you in with other past theists here.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »
"wrong motives"?

What was the 'motive'?

"your people"?

Bigot much?

sorry I stole the "your people" it's been said to me many times.  I was told something like "get your people on that." sorry I didn't know it would ruffle feathers.

I never pretended I knew everything, you did. You came in thinking you knew everything about us--you don't. You came in with the assumptions, not us.

If you would kindly look over the past few posts you and others have been discussing what mold I fit into with "my people" you even do it now. I never stated anything like that I only corrected your assumption of me.

Then why are you here? To preach to us? For one so bent on rules being followed, that is against the rules. You have to back up what you say, you haven't. All you've said is, "Well, I could provide evidence but you all are so close-minded, it'd be a waste because you won't listen." -- Paraphrasing, of course.

no.. preaching by the rules I have yet to do. I try not to. I challenged you all to look into what I provide. as I have done with what you provide. I may have tried to use pride against you. that I can admit. The question is did you do it? Or am I alone in double checking materials and ideas?

We get people like you here all the time. You are here one second, then you're gone. You preach, then leave and feel as if you've won a victory.

as I say again there will be no "victory won" At least not one I would take credit for.

You've won nothing. If you're going to state things as fact,then provide the evidence or go away because you're wasting our time.

I have stated very little as fact. The only facts I have stated were from my own life. unless you count Romans vs James. Can you kindly show me these unsupported "facts" please?

You came in with a superior attitude, and you're fucking with the wrong people. Despite what you think of me right now, this is the nice me. Keep pushing, and you'll find out why I have "Watched" under my avatar; it's not from being a nice guy.

-Nam

Sorry I'm  educated. Even well studied. I don't mean to present myself in any other way. again... this is only the internet. what could come of your childish threats. I suppose you could force me to read more of your vulgarity. I live in america though so not much of a threat there. Of course I could simply not read your replies as well. maybe report me? I'm unaware of a rule I have broken up to this point.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2013, 02:13:58 AM »
quote feature:
I bet it does drive you crazy. It drives me crazy too I'm trying to get better. I just need practice.  keep forgetting to insert the (Quote) thing FYI- I'm on my "phone" it works a bit different for me than for those on a pc of any type.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2013, 02:15:37 AM »
quote feature:
I bet it does drive you crazy. It drives me crazy too I'm trying to get better. I just need practice.  keep forgetting to insert the (Quote) thing FYI- I'm on my "phone" it works a bit different for me than for those on a pc of any type.

I've been on my phone for 2+ years. Stop making excuses. There's a testing area. Go to it, and practice. That's what it's there for.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2013, 02:23:41 AM »
[

Sorry I'm  educated. Even well studied. I don't mean to present myself in any other way. again... this is only the internet. what could come of your childish threats. I suppose you could force me to read more of your vulgarity. I live in america though so not much of a threat there. Of course I could simply not read your replies as well. maybe report me? I'm unaware of a rule I have broken up to this point.

What does being "educated" have to do with anything? If you were "educated", you'd first know to come in with evidence, know how to properly work the forum, not pressume you already know how we are going to respond, not presume that we have never read anything of what you say is evidence, or presume that you are superior to us because of all that.

So far my impression of you is one of a high ego, condescending, and a bigot who when asked to provide evidence for the things they say instead says we're too close-minded to even view it.

And yes I can be childish but it can be effective to the right kind of people, such as yourself.

So, are you actually going to answer anyone's questions and rebuttals or are you just going to continue to ignore them?

You're "educated", after all.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:25:45 AM by Nam »