Author Topic: Bible Contradiction Graph  (Read 25259 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: Bible Contradiction Graph
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »
Oh, yeah, that's right.  It makes no difference at all whether people believe or not.  It's not like our tax dollars are being used to try to convert members of the military to Christianity, or anything.

Oh, wait...
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
I'm betting that commonsense247 is a drive-by.

If so, I'm really not sure it's worth bothering to respond to him.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »
1. GET RID OF THIS WEBSITE
2. Don't bother wasting your time on trying to prove and get rid of something or someone that you said DON'T EXIST in the
    first place
- someone like GOD!

oh, one more clever sheep who thinks that they have found the way to make atheists sit down and shut up. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »
Just use COMMON SENSE!

I use logic and reason.

Why trying to get rid of something or someone that don't exist?

Religion exists. Belief in dangerous dogmas exists. The damage religion does to society and humanity in general is real. That's what I'm trying to get rid of.

Yet people in here DO NOT use common sense at all.  They are narrow minded and close minded.  Their brain are so little that they don't even know they are contradicting themselves already. 

Typical rabid theist. You accuse anyone who disagrees with your worldview of being close-minded... and yet you're the one writing in caps, using excessive bolds and underlines and repeating yourself over and over.

If only, the stupid people in here would just use common sense...

Insulting us too? Charming.
Way to represent. Your fellow christians must be proud.

HERE IS COMMON SENSE;
if there is really "NO GOD" like you stupid people said, why waste your time on proving and trying to get rid of something that don't exist, that is kind of STUPID!

Like I said, religion exists and the damage it does is real. That's what I'm fighting against.

I mean really, if "GOD DON'T EXIST" - than DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ANYMORE on proving and trying to get rid of something that don't exist in the first place - that is STUPID and there by contradicting yourselves - you said one thing, but your action is the opposite of what you said.

People like you exist, unfortunately. As long as there are people who think the way you do I will put time and effort into trying to bring them to reason and critical thinking.

The fact and reason why you guys are trying so hard and so stupidly to prove or get rid of something or someone like GOD, that you said don't exist in the first place - is a BIG PROOF FROM YOUR HEART - THAT YOU BELIEVE GOD EXIST.

No. I am responding to theist's claims that a god exists. It is up to theists like you to prove that he does exist. So far, no theist has been able to prove the existence of a god. That is why I don't believe any gods exist.

But I do respond to the actions taken by theists that affect me and the society I live in. Theists try to impose their dogma on us via legislation, they spread hatred against people of other religions, race, sexual orientation, etc ...

As long as theists keep fucking with me and the society I live in... I will not stand down and be quiet... no matter how much they scream at me like you do.

Otherwise, why would you - so call "Smart People" or for this matter - STUPID PEOPLE - waste your time in trying so hard to prove and get rid of GOD - someone you said DON'T EXIST in the first place, and thereby contradicting yourself.

Does this actually work for you? I mean ... have you ever persuaded anyone by just screaming the same thing at them over and over?

If you really want to be SMART and NOT CONTRADICTING YOURSELVES and if you really believe in your own statement that - "God don't exist and God is only an imagination", than...

... and you're a fine example of what it is to be "smart" aren't you? (sarcasm).

No.

2. Don't bother wasting your time on trying to prove and get rid of something or someone that you said DON'T EXIST in the
    first place
- someone like GOD!

I can turn this into a drinking game. Every time you say that I'll take a shot.

In other word, DON'T BE STUPID ANYMORE, why bother trying to prove and get rid of GOD - who you said, don't exist in the first place.

Yay! * takes a shot *

WHY TRYING TO GET RID OF SOMETHING OR SOMEONE THAT DON'T EXIST?

Yay! * takes a shot *

You answer this questions?

Yes, I did.

Don't you think it's STUPID trying to get rid of something or someone that don't exist?

Yay! * takes a shot *
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
    first place
- someone like GOD!

oh, one more clever sheep who thinks that they have found the way to make atheists sit down and shut up.

Clever? The whole "why do you bother trying to get rid of something that doesn't exist" is trite and old. It is up there with the circular reasoning and appeal to ignorance in its commonality. The whole introduction I made of "Why I Blaspheme" was in response to hearing this for the umpteenth time.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
this kind of clever sheep:

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
Hi. everyone.
I am new here.
I am 37, male, married, 3 kids, self employed truth seeking person.
Please accept my apology for not going through "Introductions" columns (I couldn't figure out how).

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
Hi. everyone.
I am new here.
I am 37, male, married, 3 kids, self employed truth seeking person.
Please accept my apology for not going through "Introductions" columns (I couldn't figure out how).

You need 3 posts before you can create a topic of your own.

Welcome to the party.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
I only had little time on my hand to look through the "Biblical contraction graph" but with my limited biblical knowledge, I have yet unable to find any contradictions.
1)How many men did the chief of David's captains kill?
it's two different persons (Josheb Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite and Jashobeam, a Hacmonite)

2)Was Abraham justified by faith or by works?
In James 2:22 "You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did" I think this verse explains it 'true faith always produces fruits'

3)How many sons did Abraham have?
when Abraham was tested on the Mt. Moriah, his many sons weren't born yet. there was only one other son named Ishmael, but regarding him, God said in Genesis 21:12 "But God said to him, "Do not be so distressed about the boy(Ishmael)and your maidservant(Hagar, the Egyptian). Listen to whatever Sarah tells you(making them leave), because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.
In the eyes of God, there was only one true son (God's promised child) Isaac.
Genesis 17:19 "Then God said, “Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him."

4)Was Abiathar the father or the son of Ahimelech?
This genealogy thing gets kind of boring, but let me try.
in 1Sam 22:20-23, Ahimelech was the father of Abiathar
in 2Sam 8:17, 1 Chron 18:16, and 1 Chron 24:6, Abiathar (the son of Ahimelech) was the father of a child he named Ahimelech.
In other words, there is a guy named Jim, and Jim's son's name is John and John's son's name is Jim.
(common names.)

5)Who was Abijam's mother?
In 1Kings 15:8,11 Asa is said to have been the son of both Abijab his father and the son of David, the latter being more precisely his great, great, grandfather"

Maachah or Michaiah are the same person different spelling

Abisalom or Absalom(Son of  king David) are the same person.

Maachah was a daughter of Uriel.
And granddaughter of Absalom.
It’s just one of  many cultural things of Israel.
Israelites still call Abraham “father” not great great great…. Grandfather.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »
well, I'll take the first one since you are already wrong in your claim.

I only had little time on my hand to look through the "Biblical contraction graph" but with my limited biblical knowledge, I have yet unable to find any contradictions.
1)How many men did the chief of David's captains kill?
it's two different persons (Josheb Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite and Jashobeam, a Hacmonite)
Let's look at the quotes.  You might want to read your bible, CD. 

2 Samuel 23:8 These are the names of David’s mighty warriors:
   Josheb-Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite, was chief of the Three; he raised his spear against eight hundred men, whom he killed in one encounter. 9 Next to him was Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite. As one of the three mighty warriors, he was with David when they taunted the Philistines gathered at Pas Dammim[d] for battle. Then the Israelites retreated, 10 but Eleazar stood his ground and struck down the Philistines till his hand grew tired and froze to the sword. The LORD brought about a great victory that day. The troops returned to Eleazar, but only to strip the dead.

11 Next to him was Shammah son of Agee the Hararite. When the Philistines banded together at a place where there was a field full of lentils, Israel’s troops fled from them. 12 But Shammah took his stand in the middle of the field. He defended it and struck the Philistines down, and the LORD brought about a great victory.

and
1 Chronicles 11:10 These were the chiefs of David’s mighty warriors—they, together with all Israel, gave his kingship strong support to extend it over the whole land, as the LORD had promised— 11 this is the list of David’s mighty warriors:
   Jashobeam, a Hakmonite, was chief of the officers[c]; he raised his spear against three hundred men, whom he killed in one encounter. 12 Next to him was Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite, one of the three mighty warriors. 13 He was with David at Pas Dammim when the Philistines gathered there for battle. At a place where there was a field full of barley, the troops fled from the Philistines. 14 But they took their stand in the middle of the field. They defended it and struck the Philistines down, and the LORD brought about a great victory. 

So you want claim it was two different men.  Unfortunately for you, they are talking about the same man.  And they make the claim that the same man slew 800 and in a retelling, slew 300, and also can't get the name or the nationality right.  You see that Eleazar doesn't have that problem and is the same one.  Your bible can't keep itself straight.  how does that work with a book that comes from a suposedly omniscient/omnipotent/omnibenevolent god? 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
2 Sam 23:
Josheb-Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite
Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite.
Shammah son of Agee the Hararite.

1 chron 11:
Jashobeam, a Hakmonite,
Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite
Abishai the brother of Joab was chief of the Three (1 chron 11:20)

shammah was listed as a warrior later (just a warrior, not one of the three):
1 chron 11:27 Shammoth the Harorite
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20chron%2011&version=NIV

It looks to me like there were two different stories from two different traditions and both were kept to please both peoples.  Is it also possible that josheb in 2 sam and jashobeam in 1 chron are the same person, with variations on spelling?  The names and villages are similar...

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:46 PM »

I find it difficult to understand how you could fail to find any contradictions in the bible.  BaalServant illustrates a great visual of contradictions in just one part of one story in this thread

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »

Let me help you oh limited one.

Judas dies by hanging vs Judas dies by falling down

Matthew 27:3-8 and Acts 1:16-19

By hanging (Matthew 27:3-8) - "Then when Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that He had been condemned, he felt remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." But they said, "What is that to us? See to that yourself!" 5And he threw the pieces of silver into the sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself. 6And the chief priests took the pieces of silver and said, "It is not lawful to put them into the temple treasury, since it is the price of blood." 7And they counseled together and with the money bought the Potter’s Field as a burial place for strangers. 8For this reason that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day."
By falling (Acts 1:16-19) - "Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. 17"For he was counted among us, and received his portion in this ministry." 18(Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. 19And it became known to all who were living in Jerusalem; so that in their own language that field was called Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)"
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline pingnak

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
(Wrong topic.  Pesky multiple tabz!)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:29:32 PM by pingnak »

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »
Unfortunately for you, they are talking about the same man.
what evidence do you have to back that statement up?
I think ST's statement is more convincing.

It looks to me like there were two different stories from two different traditions and both were kept to please both peoples.  Is it also possible that josheb in 2 sam and jashobeam in 1 chron are the same person, with variations on spelling?  The names and villages are similar...

And regarding the dying story of Judas...

Maybe he hung himself and the rope broke and he fell on the ground and his belly bursts open...... ;)

And regarding Baalservant's illustration,

Maybe all those things happened. couldn't tell who went to the tomb first, but I think it is possible.

I know all I am saying is 'maybes' but may point is,
for example,
"yesterday Sam went Toronto" vs "yesterday Sarah went Toronto"
it could be two different stories or maybe they both went to Toronto yesterday.
but no contradictions here.

To me, in order for two statements to contradict each other, it should be like this,
"Sam was the only person who went to Toronto yesterday" vs "Sarah went to Toronto yesterday"

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Maybe all those things happened. couldn't tell who went to the tomb first, but I think it is possible.

I suppose all those things could have happened.  John and Peter were simultaneously there and not there, there were simultaneously many women and yet only one (maybe she was really fat?).  Maybe god just hit the rewind button on his omni-remote control and called a "do-over" multiple times.  All things are possible with god, except of course healing amputees and curing mental health illnesses. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
good for you then.  Any evidence that your claim that there is no contradictions in teh bible then? 

And regarding the dying story of Judas...

Maybe he hung himself and the rope broke and he fell on the ground and his belly bursts open...... ;)
one more repair to your bible, CD?  So much for it being "divinely" inspired. 

Yes, you are only saying "maybe" and with no evidence to support your worthless claims.  How not suprising.  If you are saying "sam went to toronto" and you mistakenly write "sarah went to toronto" and one is true, then you are contradicting yourself.  IF neither went to toronto, you are lying.  So, with no evidence of any action, why think the bible is saying anything true at all? 

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »

I suppose all those things could have happened.  John and Peter were simultaneously there and not there, there were simultaneously many women and yet only one (maybe she was really fat?).  Maybe god just hit the rewind button on his omni-remote control and called a "do-over" multiple times.  All things are possible with god, except of course healing amputees and curing mental health illnesses.
I don't see any bible verse says John and Peter were the only ones there or there was only one woman visited Jesus's tomb on that day (Sunday).

Like I said, maybe they all went there but different timing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:23:59 AM by coram deo »

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
good for you then.  Any evidence that your claim that there is no contradictions in teh bible then? 
Velkyn,

Isn't it you who is making 'positive claim'?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
Velkyn,

Isn't it you who is making 'positive claim'?

I'm not velkyn, but I don't see any positive claim in her post, merely a request for evidence for YOUR claim that the Bible is inerrant
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »
Velkyn is saying "there IS contradiction" whereas, I am saying "no there isn't, if there IS, show me"

Therefore, I can not prove anything nor in a position to show anybody any evidence, because I am making negative claim.

So she has to prove that there IS contradiction in the bible, and show me evidence.

Isn't it how it works here?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
Velkyn is saying "there IS contradiction" whereas, I am saying "no there isn't, if there IS, show me"

Read again. velkyn asked if you had evidence for your point
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »
My point is "there is NO contradictions in the bible"

if there IS, show me the evidence.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

Bold mine. And there's your positive claim. Evidence, please
We choose our own gods.

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

there is no god

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »

there is no god

Alright. Since the definition of a god is left to personal interpretation, here's mine:
Omnipotent and omniscient being
Omnipotence creates a bunch of inconsistencies, like the ability to create things that are impossible in a place (universe) that is ruled by logic. Obviously this only applies to my definition of a god
EDIT: Now stop dodging and show evidence that the Bible is inerrant
We choose our own gods.

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
No mean to be rude, but I don't see any dodging.

and there is no evidence in your answer.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »

How about the fact that when people ask you for evidence for your point that you try to shift who actually needs to show the evidence and then just ask questions instead of answering them?

and there is no evidence in your answer.

Showing that it's logically inconsistent isn't evidence? No wonder you believe in a god
We choose our own gods.

Offline coram deo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »

How about the fact that when people ask you for evidence for your point that you try to shift who actually needs to show the evidence and then just ask questions instead of answering them?

can you see who started this dodging thingy now?