Author Topic: Contradictions don't make Christianity false  (Read 2949 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Contradictions don't make Christianity false
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »
No! dont misunderstand me. you are entitled to your opinion, critique and disbelieve, but could yov do all that without disrespecting others.

I don't misunderstand you at all.  You need attention.  You want to make claims and insist that they are true and you are such a special snowflake for knowing the "Truth",   and you don't want anyone to point out what a loon you are.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +956/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
"shoving an airplane into a building"

are you seriously refering to the 9/11 attack? after all the scientific  and other evidence that it was an attack orchestrated by the american government for the soul purpose of soothing their money and power hungry egoes? REALLY!?

Is this your way of trying to deflect away from my actual point in that post?

...also, the scent of Poe is starting to get a little stronger.  Again, I'll continue giving you the benefit of the doubt, but your starting to sound more and more like Timecube[1] guy.

Addressing the meat of my post will help assuage my fears that you are either a Poe or a genuine lunatic.
 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Cube
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +881/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »
Paul, when writing 1 Corinthians, stated that the only thing that makes it or breaks it for Christianity is the resurrection of Jesus

Greybeard, when writing about choosing a pet, stated that it does not matter if a pet barks and can't climb trees, the only thing that makes it or breaks it for "being a cat" is a liking for fish.

Paul was deluded - his arguments are facile. It is not possible to argue coherently for the truth of a religion. However, as a rhetorical device, Paul's deception is very good - it dispenses with all errors and contradictions by making a completely unsupported statement - and people believed it...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1864/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
I know that the US government has done some bad things, but the 9/11 conspiracy nuts just lose me. I am starting to think fringe is definitely a few kernels short of a full Redenbacher.  :-\
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline In God I Trust

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • In God I Am.........
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »

Now, it is entirely possible for Christians of various stripes to argue that the Bible is not inerrant and/or to be understood in a mostly-straightforward way.  Perhaps it is simply a diary of various people's attempts to make sense of their experiences with the Divine as seen through the lenses of their cultures, times, and life experiences, and thus fallible as they are, yet still "touched" by divine light in some way.  Perhaps it is an esoteric text, to be understood as mystical allegory, parable, and the like, and only those who have had the requisite mystical experiences of the Divine can understand it properly.  Or perhaps something else (i.e., whatever reason you think it's possible for contradictions and errors to accumulate in the Bible without falsifying Christianity).

However, I am still left to wonder: if there exists an omnipotent, omniscient, infallible Deity, and this Deity wishes to communicate to humans through a book (rather than, say, psychedelic plants or direct individual revelation), why not see to it that the book is infallible?

If the Deity can't produce an infallible book, then it is not omniscient or all-powerful.  If the Deity can produce an infallible book but chooses to allow humans to introduce errors, then it is deliberately allowing its communication to be garbled and distorted.  Why would it do this, if it actually wants to communicate with people?

If the Deity is unconcerned with the fidelity of its "communication," then it is either unconcerned with fidelity (i.e., is indifferent to truth and accuracy) or it is unconcerned with communication (doesn't care if its message gets across or not).  If either of these is the case, what would the Deity be trying to accomplish?

I find this to be quite thought provoking. My thoughts are as follows:

1. God cannot truly be ALL-powerful.
 - If you look at various religious texts, especially the Bible's Old Testament, it is clear that God is depicted as observing curiously, questioning, testing, etc, all charactoristics of a being that does NOT know everything.
 - Omnipotent language used to describe God must then be hyperbole on the part of the writers of the text used to best emphasize the degree of what to then seemed to be incomprehensible might possessed by God.

2. The Bible, (and other texts), Are Inspired by a Belief in God Yet not Written By God

3. Mankind has always believed in God and have always tried to know and understand "the divine" with limited and varying degrees of success until the time and life of Yeshua the Messiah. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +251/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
I find this to be quite thought provoking. My thoughts are as follows:

1. God cannot truly be ALL-powerful.
 - If you look at various religious texts, especially the Bible's Old Testament, it is clear that God is depicted as observing curiously, questioning, testing, etc, all charactoristics of a being that does NOT know everything.
 - Omnipotent language used to describe God must then be hyperbole on the part of the writers of the text used to best emphasize the degree of what to then seemed to be incomprehensible might possessed by God.

2. The Bible, (and other texts), Are Inspired by a Belief in God Yet not Written By God

3. Mankind has always believed in God and have always tried to know and understand "the divine" with limited and varying degrees of success until the time and life of Yeshua the Messiah.

congrats,  you've made up a religion just like every other theist. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/