Author Topic: There are no contradictions in the Bible!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Fellow
  • Darwins +616/-9
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: There are no contradictions in the Bible!
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
I don't really see any benefit in making stuff up if you want to convince people of something.
And that's why the most successful marketing campaigns are the ones grounded entirely on fact.

Gotta swat them ladies away when I'm sportin' my AXE body spray Douchetastic.

It seems like if all the supernatural stuff was left out then it would be easier to accept the
entire package.
That's apparently not the case.

So I don't see the value in suggesting anything supernatural happened.
Old Spice.  I totally saw a unicorn jump over a muscle bound man[1].
 1. ...and put his face in the sand!  LL
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-14
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
I don't really see any benefit in making stuff up if you want to convince people of something.

There is such a thing as self deception. It is the commonest kind.

You also need to learn something about ancient composition. Authors were expected to add fictional speeches and illustrative action to give their own meaning to events.

It seems like if all the supernatural stuff was left out then it would be easier to accept the
entire package.  So I don't see the value in suggesting anything supernatural happened.

At the time of Jesus prophets were expected to do miracles. One of the other Jewish prophets at the time of Jesus led a bunch of people up a hill to do a miracle to impress the crowd to support him.  (it would be a hill wouldn't it? Gods liked hills.) Read Josephus.

Your problem is that you are looking at the text with modern eyes and not really understanding it or its nature.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +679/-23
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »

The entire book of Revelation is nothing more than a subjective experience that this John fellow supposedly had, detailing fantastical events which haven't happened, and holds together about as well as a wet paper sack.  So don't try to lecture me about critical analysis, as if that would somehow magically make Revelation into a true divine vision granted to John from an angel.

And the first line in Revelations gives the impression that the book is a vision.
You might like to read jaimehlers' post: I have marked his main criticism of the Revelations of John the Divine in red.

Your reply, in blue, merely states that John had a vision. Upon this point you and jaimehlers are agreed. However, the validity of the vision is what is being questioned.

Could you put your mind to responding? Something to indicate the truth value of the Book of Revelations would be helpful. E.g. How can anyone accept Revelations as anything more than the ramblings of a deluded mind?

Looking forward to a solid reply,

GB Mod
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”