Author Topic: tbright asks what evidence would make atheists reconsider?  (Read 16941 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: tbright asks what evidence would make atheists reconsider?
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
Tony, do you still think god creates earthquakes,tidal waves,hurricanes........All proven by science to be earth(the planet) caused occurances? When your buddy Jesus said he would return in his few followers lifetimes ,what did he mean? Satan must have been created by god thus god can destroy him? Are angels a seperate and unique form of life god can't control?if so why? why did god kill or punish people without first telling them the consequence of their actions? Remember hell is a totally christian invention
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »

http://www.rationalchristianity.net/historical_evid.html

I actually looked at this link.  It is one of my interests in Christianity.

There is no credible archaeological evidence of the Exodus.  No evidence of large numbers of Israelites living in Egypt, in bondage or otherwise, and no evidence of a mass wandering in the wilderness.

The Exodus is the very foundation of the Judeo-Christian religion.

No Exodus, no Moses.  No Moses, no chosen people.  No chosen people, no Messiah.  No Messiah, no Jesus.  No Jesus, no YHWH.  Game, set and match.  Checkmate.

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
Ok, how about this then.

Question:If the flood wiped out all life on Earth except for Noah and his family, why do many ancient cultures show a consistent historical timeline that is unbroken. The egyptian empire was flourishing without being interrupted as were the Chinese and others. So why is there no evidence that they were wiped out?

Please, I'm hard core atheist and I can answer this one with my eyes closed...the flood was regional, not worldwide.  It's right there in Genesis...geez people...

If you can't figure out the obvious meaning of flooding "the world" as only "the world as the chosen ones knew it", then don't ask such simple questions. 

Below are my sarcasm smilies:
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
Clearly your knowledge is lacking in regards to the one true faith. Only the ones who follow Christianity as it was meant to be understand that Noah's children were created as clones to reconstruct the world exactly the way it was before the flood so that it looked like nothing had happened.Hmph, stupid atheist!

Oh look, my ears are bleeding.....
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Eddy Swirl

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
Curious, what kind of evidence, if any, would make you re-think your atheism?

Can you show me real world evidence that religion isn't just a pacifier us humans have put in place to help us sleep well with the so called knowledge that there is something else after we die?

Can you show me real world evidence[1] that religion isn't a waste of time, and isn't something extra I have to worry about even though I'm doing my best to be a good person?

Can you physically show me why I shouldn't just embrace life while I can, instead of wasting my time embracing Jesus?

Can you point me to a teaching from religion that isn't written/drawn/painted/sculpted by a human hand, or spoken by a human mouth?

Can you do any of these without an attempt at triggering an emotional response?

Can you show me why, after a direct conversation with god, that I would no longer have supposed free will?
 1. And I'm not interested in a testimony, unless it contains real evidence.
You read my sig again, didn't you...

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2010, 11:24:23 PM »
I would think answering the questions put to you in the other threads you started would prove appropriate.

--J.D.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 12:35:19 AM »
Being an agnostic atheist, I could tentatively but not definitively go "Ah, so you're a god!" if I actually had an encounter with one in the physical world.  There would always be a small amount of uncertainty, as I can't think of any way to prove that a god-like being really is a god.

As for worshipping a god, it depends entirely on what you mean by 'worship' and on the character of the god in question.  I can only respect those whom I honestly feel are respect-worthy.  I couldn't fake it, either.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »
Ok, how about this then.

Question:If the flood wiped out all life on Earth except for Noah and his family, why do many ancient cultures show a consistent historical timeline that is unbroken. The egyptian empire was flourishing without being interrupted as were the Chinese and others. So why is there no evidence that they were wiped out?

Response:After the flood occured god took one of Noah's sons and daughters and used them to repopulate the old empires miraculously overnight. Using his powers to put all of the buildings back exactly where they had been before and then mindwashed everyone to believe that they were the previous residents of the old empires. This way he can provide simple and obvious evidence that the bible is a lying piece of tripe, thus giving us yet one more test of our faith.

That chomping sound you're hearing is my rear brain trying to eat it's way to the front.
Al I met a professor of archeology on a plane several years ago and he said every culture all over the world had in it's history a FLOOD.

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »
Being an agnostic atheist, I could tentatively but not definitively go "Ah, so you're a god!" if I actually had an encounter with one in the physical world.  There would always be a small amount of uncertainty, as I can't think of any way to prove that a god-like being really is a god.

As for worshipping a god, it depends entirely on what you mean by 'worship' and on the character of the god in question.  I can only respect those whom I honestly feel are respect-worthy.  I couldn't fake it, either.
Can you give some respect to the one who created you?

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2010, 12:49:21 AM »
Al I met a professor of archeology on a plane several years ago and he said every culture all over the world had in it's history a FLOOD.

And?

--J.D.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »

I respect my parents, as should you for not leaving you on a wind-swept crag.

--J.D.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »

Respect is to be earned, not given.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 12:55:24 AM »
Why do you hate your parents?  :P

--J.D.

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »

I respect my parents, as should you for not leaving you on a wind-swept crag.

--J.D.
I am new to this format.
Do your respect the parent who brought all of us to being?  Giving birth earns respect doc I respect them and the one who brought them forth all the way back to the beginning

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 12:59:08 AM »
Giving birth earns respect doc I respect them and the one who brought them forth all the way back to the beginning

Would you respect your parents if they beat the crap out of you for drawing in the wall with a crayon?

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
Why do you hate your parents?  :P

--J.D.
Well that is  a good question let me think about it
Earthly parents can do some really bad shit. In the end we think of our true creators as them and miss the real truth. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:02:45 AM by Taboulie »

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »
Why do you hate your parents?  :P

--J.D.
Well that is  a good question let me think about it
Earthly parents can do some really bad shit. In the end we think of our true creators as them and miss the real truth. 
I am so new to this. Are we in real time? who is talking?

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2010, 01:05:13 AM »
 In the end we think of our true creators as them and miss the real truth. 

Nope. Don't group me into this "we" category. What "we" are you talking about? What is this "real truth" you mention?

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 01:06:31 AM »

Nah, this isn't a chat room; it's a message board. Message boards aren't in real time. There is a time stamp to the messages.

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2010, 01:09:37 AM »
Giving birth earns respect doc I respect them and the one who brought them forth all the way back to the beginning

Would you respect your parents if they beat the crap out of you for drawing in the wall with a crayon?
Hey Em
The real truth I am talking about is that our creator is not like our real parents.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2010, 01:13:43 AM »

Hey Em
The real truth I am talking about is that our creator is not like our real parents.

So.. he would beat the shit out of us for doing something as stupid as drawing on the wall with a crayon. (there was a hidden message behind that. That message: Kids will be kids; why severely punish them for being themselves. In terms of a creator; why send someone to hell for not worshiping him due to lack of evidence)

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »

Nah, this isn't a chat room; it's a message board. Message boards aren't in real time. There is a time stamp to the messages.
Emily, This is truth for my heart. I hated God, I hated religion, I hated it all and I was really pissed at the whole religious thing. One night I had it out with Him , kinda like Lunt. Dan in the Forest Gump Movie.
I told him what a piece of bullshit he was and I told him, If he was real he had to show me.  He had been doing that for many many many years now.
next post
Hell is bullshit

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2010, 01:19:15 AM »

Hey Em

So.. he would beat the shit out of us for doing something as stupid as drawing on the wall with a crayon. (there was a hidden message behind that. That message: Kids will be kids; why severely punish them for being themselves. In terms of a creator; why send someone to hell for not worshiping him due to lack of evidence)
Em.
No one goes to hell and burns for ever. Ii is a lie of the church and not in scripture.

[modbreak]Fixed quoting[/modbreak]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:46:19 AM by Moderator_019 »

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »

Emily, This is truth for my heart. I hated God, I hated religion, I hated it all and I was really pissed at the whole religious thing. One night I had it out with Him , kinda like Lunt. Dan in the Forest Gump Movie.
I told him what a piece of bullshit he was and I told him, If he was real he had to show me.  He had been doing that for many many many years now.
next post
Hell is bullshit

how did he show himself to you?

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2010, 01:26:29 AM »

next post
Hell is bullshit

how did he show himself to you?
He opened every door, He quickened in my heart what was real, His comfort was warmth with-in me. It was very personal. There was a presents in my life that was real like a friend who would always cover your ass. 

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »

That's because almost every culture in history until modern times built its cities on or near water. Of course they all have flood stories. Do you actually think that in the thousands of years the Egyptian empire was around the Nile never flooded once? What they don't have is the same flood stories. Secondly the ark story is older than christianity and the bible. It appears in many different previous religions that existed in the area. Christianity, especially the Jesus stories copies from other religions with about as much shame and remorse as the borg collective (and I really couldn't have put that any nerdier could I?)

Also the point completely zipped over your head, apparently. Which is that there is no record of a flood like that happening at the time the bible says it did. And more importantly, it clearly did not wipe out humanity because every major civilization at the time (like the Egyptians and the Chinese) not only never mention it happening but were obviously still around at the time and functioning without problem.

Some other flood stories from around the world.

From Guyana:"Shortly after people arrived on earth, all crops grew on a single tree. The culture hero Makunaima and his four brothers cut down the tree, and water immediately poured from the stump, and with it came fish. One of the brothers made a basket to stop the water, but Makunaima wanted a few more fish for the rivers. When he lifted the basket just a little, water came out full force, flooding the earth. Some people survived in canoes or by climbing tall palms until the water subsided. (In some versions of this myth, the water from the stump merely forms rivers." Taken from Mythology of the Lenape by John Bierhorst.

From the Tzeltal:"Through a misunderstanding, a wife killed and cooked her child. She and her husband ate it and enjoyed it, and soon everyone was killing and cooking children. God became angry and sent a deluge. One intelligent man survived in a canoe. Right after the flood, he lit a fire, and God smelled the smoke. God sent the buzzard, turkey buzzard, and churn-owl to investigate, but they stayed to eat dead bodies. God condemned them always to eat dead bodies. God then sent the hawk, which reported back. The man was turned into a monkey." Taken from "An Analysis of the Deluge Myth in Mesoamerica" by  Fernando Horcasitas.

From Australia:"In one version of the myth of the Wawalik sisters, the sisters, with their two infant children, camped by the Mirrirmina waterhole. Some of the older sister's menstrual blood fell into the well. The rainbow serpent Yurlunggur smelled the blood and crawled out of his well. He spit some well water into the sky and hissed to call for rain. The rains came, and the well water started to rise. The women hurriedly built a house and went inside, but Yurlunggur caused them to sleep. He swallowed them and their sons. Then he stood very straight and tall, reaching as high as a cloud, and the flood waters came as high as he did. When he fell, the waters receded and there was dry ground." Taken from "The Rainbow Serpent, a Chromatic Piece" by Ira R. Buchler & Kenneth Maddock
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Taboulie

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »
Clearly your knowledge is lacking in regards to the one true faith. Only the ones who follow Christianity as it was meant to be understand that Noah's children were created as clones to reconstruct the world exactly the way it was before the flood so that it looked like nothing had happened.Hmph, stupid atheist!

Oh look, my ears are bleeding.....
yada, yada, yada

Offline Doctor X

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2010, 01:34:37 AM »

As bad as this?

1 Sam 15:3: "Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy [?erem—?rm--???----Ed.] all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

--J.D.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2010, 01:36:29 AM »
ok I am lost again
next post

You might want to read the Quoting FAQ.

Also, preaching is against the rules here.  Don't tell us that God did something for you.  Tell us exactly what God did, and how he did it.

I could claim that I had changed lead into gold, but unless I describe the process so you can duplicate it, it's worthless.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...