Author Topic: Atheist preachers  (Read 3445 times)

Offline truehyuga

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Back. For now.
Re: Atheist preachers
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
I would draw on all my skills as a professional strawman and bring myself down with such a ridiculous bang that the world would here it.
What you allow will always increase; good or bad.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »
^^^ I'm luvin' that avatar 8)
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Operator_020

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
Hi Whateverman.

EDIT: I don't mean to be too critical about the high-fiving.  Just trying to make the thread more interesting.

I thought you made it more interesting.

Former Moderator Account

Online bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
;D  Atheist preachers = honest Christians

At last!!!!
What's the difference between a preacher who's secretly an atheist, and an atheist who converts to Christianity?  Both sides hold 'em up as victories.

Seems pretty pointless.
The question is moot, because the latter is impossible.

Quote from: Whateverman
God actually did speak to the person
And what would the rational person do then? I suggest you think hard about the answer to that question.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
What defendable rational basis can there be for turning to faith?
God actually did speak to the person :)
You yourself said there were irrational reasons for converting. I would put it to you that all you have is someone's word that they heard God talking.

I would also ask you to think of the number of murderers who say that God told them to do it. Bearing these points in mind, why did you accept the story that God actually spoke to the person as opposed to his hearing voices in the head?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline trish

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »
Mother Teresa said in writings kept secret til after her death that she felt the absense of God.  I think this is not the same as admitting to being an atheist.  I'm sitting alone in my living room, feeling the absense of my husband, who is currently at work.  Noticing his absense is not the same as believing he doesn't exist.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »
^^ Trish that doesn't hold up because you can produce evidence of your husband, and it is reasonable to expect he will return after work.
Git mit uns

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »
I hope he will not be noticing an absence of dinner. That casserole isn't going to bake itself, missy.

Hi, I'm Pony.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »
Mother Teresa said in writings kept secret til after her death that she felt the absense of God.  I think this is not the same as admitting to being an atheist.  I'm sitting alone in my living room, feeling the absense of my husband, who is currently at work.  Noticing his absense is not the same as believing he doesn't exist.

I've not read the letters lately, but from what I recall, the message and tone conveyed in them was one of utter despair.  Her thought was not that yhwh had just popped out for cigarettes.  She was having a total crisis of faith.  She was searching for reasons to continue to believe, but found none.  At least, that is my recollection.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »
I agree that she never actually stated she was an atheist, but if you read her writtings, it is the only conclusion you can come too. this was posted on this thread (page 1)
William already gave the source of what I'm talking about. It's the book entitled "Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light" which contains Mother Teresa's letters to her confessors, confidants and superiors within the catholic church.

Here's another quote from one of Mother Teresa's letters which clearly expressed her lack of faith:

Quote from: Mother Teresa
Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul ... How painful is this unknown pain—I have no Faith. Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal, ... What do I labor for? If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true.
[red bold mine]

At best, she was an atheist who wanted to believe very badly but couldn't. The letters reveal a severe cognitive dissonance that was emotionally very painful to her. She believed in belief but couldn't bring herself to actually believe.
Having no faith is stating she is without belief in a god/gods, that  is an atheist. ok.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »
^ Although, Mother Theresa appears to have been a reluctant, unsure atheist.  Unlike some of the pastors that Dennett interviewed, who were sure, but felt trapped, or felt that they could still help people and didn't need faith to do so, so remained in the clergy.
Survey results coming soon!