Author Topic: Question eleven in addition to the ten question video.  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Doubting Thomas

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Question eleven in addition to the ten question video.
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »
In the ten commandments it clearly says, "Honor Thy Motherand Father and yee shall live long on the Earth."
Thios is clearly telling us how to have divine protection, religion claims that God physically protects us, frankly we need to feel protcted, so we find ourselves believing this.

Are we protected are we really protected?  How are things really?

Three year olds get run over by buses, we're they not honoring their Mother and Father, at the bratty age of three, so God just decided to give this child no protection?  Why do three year olds get run over by buses if God is protecting anybody?

We'll call that question eleven, think about, sure there is a reason or something.

Offline myst32

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • All thought is metaphor.. All perception is gamble
Re: Question eleven in addition to the ten question video.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
Why do three year olds get run over by buses if God is protecting anybody?

Because humans evolved a large brain.

A human child has to be born before his head gets to large to fit through his\her mothers pelvis.  This makes a child more reliant on it's parents for it's protect until it is old enough to protect itself (fast moving buses aside).

Apparently God protects no one because if he did it would mess with "free will".  If he did step into our world then everyone would know he exist and begin to worship him...which is what he wants in the end... but apparently he would rather you make that decision on your own without any proof.  It is all one big experiment futility.

Sorry for the straw man I am a sure the Christians can sugar coat this.  Damn now I am poising the well.......   ;)
"You just sit there and assume you have all the answers. We will do the real work and actually look for them."
- A.C. Chase

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:26 AM »
In the ten commandments it clearly says, "Honor Thy Motherand Father and yee shall live long on the Earth."
Thios is clearly telling us how to have divine protection, religion claims that God physically protects us, frankly we need to feel protcted, so we find ourselves believing this.

Three year olds get run over by buses, we're they not honoring their Mother and Father, at the bratty age of three, so God just decided to give this child no protection?  Why do three year olds get run over by buses if God is protecting anybody?

We'll call that question eleven, think about, sure there is a reason or something.

And this is precisely the point where the theist mind goes into the twisted contortions that it always does to justify gods inaction and indifference to save the child's life.

Recently, christian music star Steven Curtis Chappman's teenage son ran over his 5 yr. old Chinese sister who was adopted by the Chappans . A tragedy for sure. It was quite sad however to watch on Larry King as they justified this heartwrenching death as god's will. The sad part was that she had a younger sister adopted along with her and now the sister is alone. Why a god would allow two beautiful children to be adopted into a loving family and then let the one child die a horrific death leaving a confused sister and completely crushed family behind, is a troubling question with regards to protection indeed.
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
But god works in mysterious way.  Something we can't see clearly but god knows what is best.  We have to trust in god and believe that good will come from this sad event.  The child is in heaven so we should praise his holy name.

What crap.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline myst32

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • All thought is metaphor.. All perception is gamble
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »
Recently, christian music star Steven Curtis Chappman's teenage son ran over his 5 yr. old Chinese sister who was adopted by the Chappans . A tragedy for sure. It was quite sad however to watch on Larry King as they justified this heartwrenching death as god's will. The sad part was that she had a younger sister adopted along with her and now the sister is alone. Why a god would allow two beautiful children to be adopted into a loving family and then let the one child die a horrific death leaving a confused sister and completely crushed family behind, is a troubling question with regards to protection indeed.

I am sure the teenage son "learned" the lesson and is now closer to god.  Plus how many people out there also found this lesson and "got saved" on the spot.  You are looking at this the wrong way... this is not a tragedy... this is a blessing from god.  It shows that he loves us and cares for us so much that he was willing to kill to show it.  What a merciful god.. what a loving god.. he did all this so we would be closer to him.

What a great coping mechanism god is!!  Makes you almost feel happy for them. As if they received some special gift instead of having one taken away.
"You just sit there and assume you have all the answers. We will do the real work and actually look for them."
- A.C. Chase

Offline graham

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:56:28 PM »
God protects everyone that asks...'free will'...until then the three year old relied on the protection of the parents.
There is two sides here.
The Earth at present is ruled by Satan and bad things happen as Einstein quoted where there is an absence of God. I pray for my children to be protected and all four are alive and well

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
First it's bad form to necro a thread. This thread has been dead since 2008.

The Earth at present is ruled by Satan and bad things happen as Einstein quoted where there is an absence of God.

Einstein quoted this, eh. What did he say exactly? NOTE: Einstein was not a Christian, at least not that I am aware of...

I don't know what you are talking about but for some reason this comes to mind...
http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

So... yeah. What Einstein quote are you talking about.

I pray for my children to be protected and all four are alive and well

So... My husband has two bothers and his entire family including his parents have never once stepped foot inside a church and all are well. One of my brothers-inlaw is a CFO for a fortune 500 company based out of Manhattan.

and I should note that my husband and I are doing very well, as is his family and my inherited family. S
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:12:54 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 03:30:25 AM »
This thread is now locked.

graham, please do not revive 2yr old threads again.
Former Moderator Account