Author Topic: Crash This Poll: Amanda Peet or Jenny McCarthy?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Crash This Poll: Amanda Peet or Jenny McCarthy?
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
Sounds like her fight is more against either misdiagnosis of autism or moreover the non inclusion of these "fringe" detoxes in medicine.

It seems to have worked for her child.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
Who knows what (if anything) worked for her child.  With the mother's other nutty ideas, it's possible that she was mistaken about the autism diagnosis or the intensity of it.  Could be anything, though her other ideas raise an eyebrow about any self-diagnosis she makes on the subject.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »
Who knows what (if anything) worked for her child.  With the mother's other nutty ideas, it's possible that she was mistaken about the autism diagnosis or the intensity of it.  Could be anything, though her other ideas raise an eyebrow about any self-diagnosis she makes on the subject.

Agree that ^^^^ is scary.

I swear, i've heard some medical claims that diet DOES have possible relationship to autism; ...

In addition, her son may also simply have been a "late bloomer"?

She claims you "can't tell he is autistic now".

Autism is a very confusing illness/condition.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »
How on earth would diet changes treat mercury poisoning that somehow induces autism?     Is she mixing EDTA into his food? Actually...   nevermind...    How exactly does mercury-poisoning intersect with removing casein and gluten from a kid's diet?

And I can't stomach seeing her list anti-freeze and ether as ingredients again.  

omg... indigo children...   these people...       ahhhhhhhh...

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
How on earth would diet changes treat mercury poisoning that somehow induces autism?

Rhetorical question acknowledged. I agree. ;-).

Is she mixing EDTA into his food?
   What is EDTA? 
Actually...   nevermind...    How exactly does mercury-poisoning intersect with removing casein and gluten from a kid's diet?

I was kind of wondering if the "detox" including not consuming milk products, assuming the diagnosis was accurate?

And I can't stomach seeing her list anti-freeze and ether as ingredients again. 

I was wondering about that too?   Does they have any relationship to reality at all???
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
Nope.  She sees the word ether on the end of a chemical compound name and thinks it means the ether they used to use for anaesthesia, otherwise known as diethyl ether.

Unless she thinks it's the ether that people used to believe the world was suspended in. Wouldn't surprise me.

And the anti-freeze thing is a similar misreading.    She knows NOTHING about chemistry and refuses to learn.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
Well, chemistry is hard.  Writing a book and starting an anti-vaccine web site are easy.

Why not just go with the gut and react first before looking?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »
We learn about how a simple ethyl group can completely change a compound in Year 9.  If a   ninth grader can grasp that concept, then all she has to listen to is this: "Look, Jenny, that chemical and this compound are not the same thing at all, even if they have similar names or molecular groups.  Do you think that water is the same as hydrogen and oxygen gas?   Would you fill a blimp with water and expect it explode in a firey mess like the Hindenburg?" 

Surely she can grasp that.  Or maybe we should start talking about the spiritual vibrations of aryl groups, the dipole moments of their chakra or some shit.    Maybe she'll get that.

Sorry, she just really annoys me.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
Sorry, she just really annoys me.

Cryyystals!!!  Annnngels!!!

Offline Goodkat

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • A man's delusion is insanity, a nation's, religion
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »
Or maybe we should start talking about the spiritual vibrations of aryl groups, the dipole moments of their chakra or some s**t. 
Lol chakra, Kage Bushin No Jutsu!!!!

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »
"Look, Jenny, that chemical and this compound are not the same thing at all, even if they have similar names or molecular groups.  Do you think that water is the same as hydrogen and oxygen gas?   Would you fill a blimp with water and expect it explode in a firey mess like the Hindenburg?"

Thank you spider!!!  To be honest I forgot my own 9th grade chemistry. Simular names? That lol explains?

;D

Well, chemistry is hard.  Writing a book and starting an anti-vaccine web site are easy.

Why not just go with the gut and react first before looking?

You guys are rolling in the karma or you would be.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:51:47 PM by rickymooston »