Author Topic: atheist superhero drives local xians mad  (Read 428 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: atheist superhero drives local xians mad
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »
You guys can say that it is on public property, but what the means to me is that everyone has a right to put a message there.

if that's what it means to you, you're not interpreting the situation correctly.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +975/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 05:13:37 PM »
What part of public vs private does skeptic not understand? The Christian guy who carries a big Jesus sign on my campus has a right to express himself as long as he does not get so loud that he disturbs the classes. This is a public institution, but his freedom of speech is protected. There are also currently some religious anti-abortion guys on campus holding giant signs with really horrible photos supposedly of dismembered fetuses. They also have freedom of speech rights, just as I have the right to look away from their signs.[1]

Now, if our coatless bearded friend tries to erect a permanent Jesus sign on campus,  he will get into trouble. Not because of a hatred of Christians (that is clearly not the case since probably a majority of the students and staff here are Christian and he is welcome to stand here all day in the cold with his Jesus sign, talking to anyone he wants to) but because this is a public (state funded) school.

There are private religious colleges, like Georgetown (a Catholic Jesuit university) that have lots of religious statues and signs and so forth. Those are private property and if they want to put up permanent religious symbols and signs they are free to do so. It is their property to do with as they wish. Likewise, if some group tried to put up a permanent religious-related sign in a private shopping mall it would be taken down if the owner did not want it there.

If someone puts up a permanent religion-related sign, symbol or statue in a public city park, it should be taken down, even if it is pretty, even if I agree with it because it promotes something I believe in. Because it is public space, not private space. It is against the law to put religious stuff there. Religious people and atheists alike should be willing to abide by the law.
 1. Why these people have decided to target my campus with this ugly stuff I do not know. Maybe they think college students are having sex all the time and get lots of abortions? They do not seem to realize that those images are most disturbing to women--like me-- who have had miscarriages, and probably have little impact on whether someone has sex or gets an abortion.... :(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +65/-478
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 02:39:24 AM »
What part of public vs private does skeptic not understand? The Christian guy who carries a big Jesus sign on my campus has a right to express himself as long as he does not get so loud that he disturbs the classes. This is a public institution, but his freedom of speech is protected. There are also currently some religious anti-abortion guys on campus holding giant signs with really horrible photos supposedly of dismembered fetuses. They also have freedom of speech rights, just as I have the right to look away from their signs.[1]

Now, if our coatless bearded friend tries to erect a permanent Jesus sign on campus,  he will get into trouble. Not because of a hatred of Christians (that is clearly not the case since probably a majority of the students and staff here are Christian and he is welcome to stand here all day in the cold with his Jesus sign, talking to anyone he wants to) but because this is a public (state funded) school.

There are private religious colleges, like Georgetown (a Catholic Jesuit university) that have lots of religious statues and signs and so forth. Those are private property and if they want to put up permanent religious symbols and signs they are free to do so. It is their property to do with as they wish. Likewise, if some group tried to put up a permanent religious-related sign in a private shopping mall it would be taken down if the owner did not want it there.

If someone puts up a permanent religion-related sign, symbol or statue in a public city park, it should be taken down, even if it is pretty, even if I agree with it because it promotes something I believe in. Because it is public space, not private space. It is against the law to put religious stuff there. Religious people and atheists alike should be willing to abide by the law.
 1. Why these people have decided to target my campus with this ugly stuff I do not know. Maybe they think college students are having sex all the time and get lots of abortions? They do not seem to realize that those images are most disturbing to women--like me-- who have had miscarriages, and probably have little impact on whether someone has sex or gets an abortion.... :(

You are absolutely right. Perhaps this particular atheist is just hot-headed and quick to anger. Maybe it's just part of his personality.

I bet some atheists would have walked right past the Psalm sign not saying a word about it. Another atheist will walk by it and start fuming, cursing, and screaming about how his rights are being taken away or something.

Perhaps it's more a personality problem than an atheistic problem.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-2
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 02:48:55 AM »
The problem is not the guy going ... hm, that's not legal (no fuming, cursing, or screaming required)
The problem is the guy who broke the law in the first place by putting that sign there.[1]

1. And who, in the spirit of the caricaturization you seem so fond of, Skep, was probably going, "My religion is special because *I* believe in it! Everyone should bow down to *MY* invisible friend! It's all about me! Me! Me! Meeeeeeee!"
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline frank callaway

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-33
  • it's a bird, it's a shark... you're fucked
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
come on... look at this guy... ponytail, 70's stache... probably some dumbass progressive propaganda on his printed tee... no doubt he had a raging hard-on while posing for this pic...

hey goofy, thanks for pointing to the "home of darwin" sign, i might have missed it in the photo otherwise...

When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

-Jonathan Swift

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +624/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
skeptic, why are you assuming that this atheist got angry upon seeing the sign?  Do you actually know the guy, or have some source of information that none of the rest of us do?  Most likely not.  You haven't exactly been covering yourself with glory here.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +975/-6
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Why does anger have to be the motivation for asking that someone obey the law? Do police pull speeding cars over, or arrest shoplifters out of anger? I hope not.  :P

And I would hope that everyone would want the public space to be free of religious interference, esp religious minorities (in the US: Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, Mormons, JW's, Hindus, Hari Krishnas, Jews, etc) who would be squashed by religious majorities like mainstream Protestant and Catholic Christians.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +65/-478
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 10:12:38 AM »
come on... look at this guy... ponytail, 70's stache... probably some dumbass progressive propaganda on his printed tee... no doubt he had a raging hard-on while posing for this pic...

hey goofy, thanks for pointing to the "home of darwin" sign, i might have missed it in the photo otherwise...

Now that is some funny stuff right there.  ;D

I really can't believe he's standing next to a Darwin sign. This furthers the stereotype that atheists are obsessed with Darwin.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-38
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 10:24:54 AM »
I really can't believe he's standing next to a Darwin sign.

IKR. Standing next to a sign stating that it was once the home of a famous person? Unthinkable! I told my mom the same thing when we visited Van Gogh's house.

This furthers the stereotype that atheists are obsessed with Darwin.

Which christian stereotype do you think your posts further?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +382/-89
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 10:32:05 AM »
^bigotry?

-Nam
I am not even an idiot!  I am a smart man!  I am a smart person!  I do math!  I know about some insects!  I read 1984 in high school!  You don't know me!  I am smart!  you don't even know!

Online Defiance

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-3
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 12:03:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm obsessed with Darwin because the mofo had evidence to prove his claim.

Problem?
Q: Why are quantum physicists bad lovers? A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjokes/schooljokes/physicsjokes.html

Online stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 09:25:01 PM »
It's based on the fact that liberals seem to bend over backwards for Muslims, yet hate Christianity.
Look, Skep, just stop complaining, will you? We are doing you a favour, we are on your side: we are fulfilling Jesus's words:
M't:10:22: And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
and at the same time we are enabling you to go to heaven - how much more can we do?

Not only that but

M't:5:43: Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
M't:5:44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

so you have got to pray for us. Your god commands it.

Get with the program and stop whining, you are making Baby Jesus cry.

Yes, that is what we are trying to get people to do: love each other. Demanding a Psalm be taken down is not very loving. You guys can say that it is on public property, but what the means to me is that everyone has a right to put a message there. So, the Psalm will be allowed. If you wanted to put a statue of Dawkins up in the park, then be my guest.

We need some good ole fashion devil symbols next to that Psalmy thing.

Then the Christians can claim even more resounding persecution
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline OccamsRazor

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 09:59:24 PM »
I bet some atheists would have walked right past the Psalm sign not saying a word about it. Another atheist will walk by it and start fuming, cursing, and screaming about how his rights are being taken away or something.

The first atheist would probably be too worried about actually being persecuted by Christians for complaining about it. Maybe losing her job or being ostracized by the predominantly Christian community. Complaints about a Christian community usually don't come without reprisals from Christians.

"Oh wearisome condition of humanity!
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity;
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
Richard Fulke Greville

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +975/-6
« Reply #42 on: Today at 12:11:16 AM »
Most high schools and colleges in the US have Christian clubs and organizations. Kid tries to start a secular club and gets death threats.

Now why would most atheists, most of the time, just choose to ignore religious stuff, even when it was in violation of the law. Hmmmm. Can't think of any reasons, can you?

Same reasons most gays have stayed in the closet for most of history, and most black folks abided by segregation when it was the law of the land. When you are in the minority, unless you are crazybrave, you just try not to get the attention of the majority in any negative way. That is why most people are surprised to find out that their neighbor, friend or relative is an atheist. We don't advertise it.

That is why the guy in the story is a "superhero". He knows that be taking on religious folks, he is advertising his non-belief and making himself a target. Even thought he has right on his side, he could very well suffer harm from the loving Christians who he is horribly persecuting by asking that they obey the law.