Author Topic: another shooting in Church  (Read 437 times)

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +131/-6
  • WWGHA Member
another shooting in Church
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:58:35 PM »
yahweh and jesus and the holy spirit sit by idly and do nothing.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/28/pastor-shot-at-ohio-church.html

mysterious ways.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +853/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: another shooting in Church
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »
It is somewhat unfortunate that The Trinity cannot be where there is sin, otherwise they would have interfered - really, they would have. Of course, we can rest assured that this was all part of God's Plan and, according to that Plan, the right man was shot and not only that but to the exactly right extent.

As far as I can recall, the last person to be murdered in a church in England was Thomas a Becket in 1170 - and that was said to have been a mistake. Of course Scotland is a different matter, they were still killing people in churches in 1306 when Robert the Bruce killed John Comyn, Lord of Badenoch in  Greyfriars Kirk.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:12:44 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +131/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »
It is somewhat unfortunate that The Trinity cannot be where there is sin, otherwise they would have interfered - really, they would have. Of course, we can rest assured that this was all part of God's Plan and, according to that Plan, the right man was shot and not only that but to the exactly right extent.

As far as I can recall, the last person to be murdered in a church in England was Thomas a Becket in 1170. Of course Scotland is a different matter, they were still killing people in churches in 1306 when Robert the Bruce killed John Comyn, Lord of Badenoch in  Greyfriars Kirk.

American society is scary. Very scary.

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +127/-608
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:48 AM »

Now, you guys understand what I'm talking about. We live in an era of unprecedented sin.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +382/-85
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:43:18 AM »
We live in yet another era, like every era since adam of the callousness of your God.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +511/-53
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:02:09 AM »
Now, you guys understand what I'm talking about. We live in an era of unprecedented sin.

I'm glad you're here to warn us about it then! I mean, it's not like complaints like that have been tossed around since the dawn of human society by nearly every single old person.
Quote from: New York Times (1816)
The indecent foreign dance called the Waltz was introduced ... at the English Court on Friday last ... It is quite sufficient to cast one's eyes on the voluptuous intertwining of the limbs, and close compressure of the bodies ... to see that it is far indeed removed from the modest reserve which has hitherto been considered distinctive of English females...[Now that it is] forced on the respectable classes of society by the evil example of their superiors, we feel it a duty to warn every parent against exposing his daughter to so fatal a contagion.
Quote from: Town and Country (1771)
Whither are the manly vigor and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...
Quote from: Thomas Sheridan (1780)
The total neglect of this art [speaking] has been productive of the worst consequences...in the conduct of all affairs ecclesiastical and civil, in church, in parliament, courts of justice...the wretched state of elocution is apparent to persons of any discernment and taste… if something is not done to stop this growing evil …English is  likely to become a mere jargon, which every one may pronounce as he pleases.
Quote from: Granville Stanley Hall (1904)
Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline, the haste to know and do all befitting man's estate before its time, the mad rush for sudden wealth and the reckless fashions set by its gilded youth--all these lack some of the regulatives they still have in older lands with more conservative conditions.
Quote from: Robert Russel (1695)
... I find by sad Experience how the Towns and Streets are filled with lewd wicked Children, and many Children as they have played about the Streets have been heard to curse and swear and call one another Nick-names, and it would grieve ones Heart to hear what bawdy and filthy Communications proceeds from the Mouths of such...
Quote from: Horace (c. 20 BCE)
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.
Yeah. It's totally never been said before.
EDIT: Source for the quotes: http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209/15-historical-complaints-about-young-people-ruining-everything
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:05:39 AM by One Above All »
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +131/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:42:35 AM »

Not quite. Back in biblical days even yahweh got in on the child rape culture, so sin was worse then. I just mean loons with guns.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +853/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:22:57 AM »

Most interesting - do you have a link to the statistics on that?

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2010/06/16/a-crime-puzzle-violent-crime-declines-in-america/

http://www.thebiganswer.info/Crime.php
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:43:53 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +382/-85
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:45:49 AM »

Most interesting - do you have a link to the statistics on that?

Sort of statistics - he believes whatever he comes up with therefore if you looked for official statistics they obviously would support whatever he thinks, if not its a liberal conspiracy to suppress the truth.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +42/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »

Would you agree our era is worse than Sodom and Gomorrah?
By the time you hear the siren sound, your soul is in the lost and found

F  O  R  E   V  E  R........

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +293/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »

No, we don't. Take a moment to google some information on crime, disease, wars, etc. If you're honest, you will report back that we actually live in a time where these things are greatly improved over times of the past. Can you do that, and be honest on what you find? Do you know how to find reliable information on such things?  For example, search for a Youtube video on a channel called Vox for a video about wars (hint: three big reasons war is going away).

Don't let the worldviews and beliefs of ancient cultures and gods prevent you from enjoying your life as much as you can. If you're right about your beliefs, you'll have an eternity to praise God, but you only have this earthly life to enjoy what you know is here and now.

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +888/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »

Can you give an explanation for why god did not intervene in this situation?

I get the feeling that was the point of this thread.  I'm fairly certain that The Gawd knows the answer that most atheists would give to that question: god didn't intervene because non-existent entities cannot intervene.  But why do you think god didn't intervene?  If you're going to say something about 'free will', I'm going to expect an explanation regarding in what ways god's intervention would be interfering with 'free will'.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1741/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 07:16:06 PM »
If god fixed things, skeptic would not be able to say we live in an era of unprecedented sin. And don't confuse him with the facts. Those statistics showing dropping rates of crime are lies produced by the communist government and by scientists guided by Satan. &)
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +950/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
Yeah, unprecedentedly low sin.
Please let me know if you have problems with something I say, so that we can discuss it amicably.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +354/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
Another another shooting in church: Get outta that seat or I'll shoo-tcha!

Spoiler alert: both parties were being ridiculous, even for church-goers.
“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger (4 BC - 65 AD)

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +888/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »
Another another shooting in church: Get outta that seat or I'll shoo-tcha!

Spoiler alert: both parties were being ridiculous, even for church-goers.

Both parties were being ridiculous even for baboons.  Or meth-heads.  Or evil stupid assholes.

Fuck people like this.  Jesus fucking Christ.  This is what happens when fucking machismo and 'being a badass' is socially valued.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +131/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
Awful...

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »
Love is patient love is kind, unless you're in a building to worship the god of love and find yourself fighting over seating arrangements in which case shoot the bastard.  I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +213/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »

and unprecedented impotence by your god.  Poor thing.  At one time good ol' God would kill a man for keeping his magic box upright and now, he lets people kill each other in church, let godly men commit embezzlement, let godly men rape children.   

But, ah, he can appear on toast and stains. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/