Author Topic: Atheists Shouldn't Be Allowed to Serve in US Military  (Read 215 times)

Graybeard and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Atheists Shouldn't Be Allowed to Serve in US Military
« on: September 11, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
http://www.onenewsnow.com/perspectives/bryan-fischer/2014/09/10/no-atheist-should-be-permitted-to-serve-in-the-us-military

Military service should rightly be reserved for those who believe in and are willing to die for what America stands for - and what America stands for is a belief in God as the source of our rights.

The United States Air Force has refused to allow a sergeant to re-enlist because he will not say "so help me God."

The Air Force is doing exactly the right thing here. There is no place in the United States military for those who do not believe in the Creator who is the source of every single one of our fundamental human and civil rights.

Serving in the military is a privilege, not a constitutional right. And it should be reserved for those who have America's values engraved on their hearts.

Naturally, the American Humanist Association, which has never seen a constitutional liberty it respects, intends to challenge this decision.

This case should be thrown out of court. The Constitution nowhere gives the federal judiciary any authority to set military policy. That's reserved for Congress and Congress alone.

(The "religious test" referred to in Article VI of the Constitution is a reference to a detailed or specific Christian statement of faith, and refers to elective or appointive office and not to military service. States, under the Constitution written by the Founders, can require any kind of religious test they want, and Article VI was designed to protect that power and reserve it for the States.)

Why is all this important? Because our military exists to uphold and defend our Constitution, and the Constitution in turn identifies the "unalienable rights" the Declaration refers to that our government is obligated to protect.

These rights do not come from government, they do not come from the commander-in-chief, and they most certainly do not come from some activist judge. They come from God himself. We are not evolved, as this wannabe-enlistee believes, but we are "created," and "endowed by (our) Creator with certain unalienable rights."

This is an absolutely foundational, non-negotiable, bed-rock American principle: there is a Creator - with a capital "C" (you could look it up) - and he and he alone is the source of the very rights the military exists to protect and defend.

An individual who does not understand and believe this has no right to serve in the U.S. military. Military service should rightly be reserved for those who believe in and are willing to die for what America stands for - and what America stands for is a belief in God as the source of our rights.

A man who doesn't believe in the Creator the Founders trusted certainly can live in America without being troubled for being a fool. But he most certainly should not wear the uniform.

And Congress agrees. It is actually a matter of statutory law that every enlistee and every officer must take an oath that ends with “So help me God.” U.S. Code, Title 10, Section 502 reads as follows (emphasis mine throughout):

(a) Enlistment Oath.—Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:

“I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

The other branches of the U.S. military allow enlistees to opt out on this oath, but let’s be clear: they are breaking the law when they do so.

Military service should be reserved for genuine Americans - and genuine Americans, like the Founders, believe in God.

Idiot.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Atheists Shouldn't Be Allowed to Serve in US Military
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »
Of course, this also has the Darwinian aspect of removing a greater number of Christians from the gene-pool.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +46/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:16 PM »
awesome, great news, can one also avoid compulsory service on the same grounds if it came up?
Signature goes here...

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »
They're soo many moar things wrong with taht article then whithin the sentance i just typed.

Let's hear a rousing song instead!

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
New twist on an old joke

Once there was a American Christian an American Muslim and an American atheist walking together and they found a genie in a bottle. The genie said he would give each of them one wish. The Muslim says, "ok my wish is that i want all of my people back in their own country and happy under Islamic law, like the way it should be." so poof all the Muslims are in Saudi Arabia. Next the Christian says, "i want to have all my fellow Christians back in God's promised land and happy." so poof, all the Christians are in Israel. So the atheist asks, "so all the Muslims and Christians are out of America?" The genie replies "yes, what is your wish?"
"I'll just have a coke"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:32:23 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 07:40:22 PM »
^Jews have conquered America!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Brilliant.  Instead of looking at whether a person can serve in the military with dignity and honor, they're up in arms about whether they're willing to say a specific word.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
Listen, if you don't believe in Jesus H. Christ then you ain't American. If you ain't American then fuck you!

That's what I got from the article anyway. That is some powerfully stupid stuff.

All I can say is Thank God the military does not agree with him.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:03:09 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
The Air Force is doing exactly the right thing here. There is no place in the United States military for those who do not believe in the Creator who is the source of every single one of our fundamental human and civil rights.

Opinion is opinion, and fact is fact.  Fact: When one enters the US military (or just about any type of federal service job), you take an oath to support and defend the constitution of the United States, a secular document blind to religious preference.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »
I really wish someone would have mentioned this to my son before he joined the military to help pay for school... five years in the service (two and a half of them in combat in Iraq), partial deafness, mild PTSD, two jobs, and a beautiful little girl later and he doesn't have time to take more than a class a semester.

I'm VERY proud of my son, but I can't see how it was worth it.[1]
 1. With the exception of The Baby. The timing was pretty bad for both parents but I adore that child. We're ridiculous when we're together - I'm putty in her tiny little hands and she seems to know it  ;D
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
I have a friend in the Air Force who's an atheist; a medic stationed in Rammstein, Germany. He wants a career in the Air Force, I hope he already enlisted before they past the "code" last year.[1]

-Nam
 1. He's Cuban-Jewish American, loves country music

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
Maybe they could say "so help me Odin"
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
The comments are pretty good. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
You know, if the draft ever comes back what a great excuse to get out of it, "Sir, I'm an atheist".  "Next".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
Truly bizarre. They do seem to think that Christianity is a valour-based religion, which admires bravery in battle. If this is the case, then how is Christianity any different to any other warrior religion.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »
Onward Christian Soldiers.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 03:57:45 PM »
Related: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/09/17/the-irony-of-the-air-forces-anti-atheist-oath/

(toward the end)

Christians, once forced to swear oaths to powers in which they did not believe, seem now to be forcing others to swear oaths to powers in which they do not believe.

The punishment for refusal is, of course, different: No one is being killed for failure to swear correctly, because after all, no one is forced by the state to fight in the military.

Some might think that the comparison between ancient Christians and modern atheists is a false one. Yet it is a closer parallel than it may first appear.

Atheism, as a recognized system of belief, is still in its relative infancy, as Christianity was in the Roman empire.

Federal courts have determined that, at least for the purposes of First Amendment rights, atheism is a religion, but that decision was made only in 2005.

We are, as a nation, still coming to terms with the phenomenon of atheism. The question of whether an atheist can serve in the military without compromising his or her beliefs seems like an important question to address, and to get right.

-Nam