Author Topic: Ken Hams ark  (Read 558 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +243/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Ken Hams ark
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:30 AM »
Just curious: the ark had no means of self propulsion, so why would Ken Ham put that "bump" at the front of the hull? It's a feature not specifically mentioned in the OT.

Antiquated ships of battle had pointed bows used for ramming enemy ships, but the ark had no other ships to contend with. 

Modern ships have such bow protrusions to increase flows around the hull, reducing drag and thus increasing speed[1], but the ark had no need for efficient flow.

I assume Mr. Ham has a pseudoscientific explanation for this feature ... I didn't see anything in the Ark Encounter literature or AIG.
 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

it's always fun to watch the faithful do all they can to support their lies with actual science to make it seem more believable.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +952/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:30 AM »
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +254/-1
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
There's simple question for those who support the idea of the Ark Experience and it is this.

"Why was it not built in the way the bible describes (i.e. no modern day mechanical aids like cranes and girders) and why was it not built and launched into water to show how well it floats and sails through the water? "

My suggested answer is that ark, being bigger than the largest wooden boat ever built (and that twisted and killed the crew as it sank!) they don't really believe it can be done. They also have no answer to how the huge trees needed to build it could have been cut down and carried to the site. Finally, these people are not so much about their beliefs (though I have no doubt they do have beliefs), or about evangelism but MONEY.  Ham presumably makes plenty out of his museum and now the Ark thingy will make even more... 'and the love of money is the root of all evil' too!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »
There's simple question for those who support the idea of the Ark Experience and it is this.

"Why was it not built in the way the bible describes (i.e. no modern day mechanical aids like cranes and girders) and why was it not built and launched into water to show how well it floats and sails through the water? "

State regulations had a lot to do with it. It's one thing making a usable model, it's another thing to have people on it; which is why it's actually not a boat but a building. If there was a great flood it would neither float nor sink, it'd stay exactly where it is...underwater.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +50/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »
In the past couple of days I've read two different articles/reviews about The Ark Park. Buried deep in both articles was the observation that the parking lots didn't have many cars.

My guess is a real flood would change that.
The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong

Been Two thousand Years and He Ain't Shown Yet,

We Kept His Seat Warm and The Table Set.

The Greatest Story Ever Told Was so Wrong, So Wrong.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »
In the past couple of days I've read two different articles/reviews about The Ark Park. Buried deep in both articles was the observation that the parking lots didn't have many cars.

My guess is a real flood would change that.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/07/17/ark-encounters-official-attendance-numbers-are-far-below-what-creationists-expected/

-Nam

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +254/-1
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »

State regulations had a lot to do with it. It's one thing making a usable model, it's another thing to have people on it; which is why it's actually not a boat but a building. If there was a great flood it would neither float nor sink, it'd stay exactly where it is...underwater.

-Nam

You are quite right, and if Ham's only intention was to make money, then the land based solution is obviously the way to go.

However, if it is about showing us the bible is true and that the events in Genesis could actually have happened, that a boat ought to have been built to bible specs and floated... or whatever would happen to a boat like that! Clearly Ham's faith is rather limited...
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »

-Nam

You are quite right, and if Ham's only intention was to make money, then the land based solution is obviously the way to go.

However, if it is about showing us the bible is true and that the events in Genesis could actually have happened, that a boat ought to have been built to bible specs and floated... or whatever would happen to a boat like that! Clearly Ham's faith is rather limited...

I hate ro defend Ham but i think he actually wanted to build it exactly as the Bible stated but while we have Christians here who have no problem promoting their beliefs this way, and even using public funds to help spread that, we still have state and federal regulations on building things that other people would use regularly. Kentucky has their own specific laws, and the federal government has theirs.

The problem people like Ham have is: his "boat" doesn't prove anything but that the person who wrote that part of the Bible had no idea how truly huge the world was and the amount of animals on it. It also presumes plant life would survive salt water, and that it would cause no damage to sea creatures of any kind.

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +318/-9
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Damn regulations.  How unbiblical are they?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1863/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
If it was possible to make a boat out of wood large enough and secure enough to transport even a smallish zoo population, people would have continued to build them that way after the ark. But wooden ships that are not reinforced with metal can only get so big before the wood cracks and they sink. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_wooden_ships

The fact that really large wooden ships cannot float does not phase believers. They just resort to god magic when the science does not work. But how many of them would willingly board a wooden boat the size of an apartment building,  full of wild  animals, and even sail on it for a day across a choppy lake? Not many.

Not enough faith.....
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +408/-88
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
If it was truly education it would be bible specs to qiuet the skoffers, but nope.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +176/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 10:42:11 PM »
The fact that really large wooden ships cannot float does not phase believers. They just resort to god magic when the science does not work. But how many of them would willingly board a wooden boat the size of an apartment building,  full of wild  animals, and even sail on it for a day across a choppy lake? Not many.

Not enough faith.....

Yep.

I'm sure that if Ham is asked why he didn't just build the thing to Bible specs, he'll shake his head sadly and say, "Well, I would have, but the godless secular authorities don't have enough faith and insisted that I use modern materials, construction equipment and install florescent lighting and indoor plumbing."
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +243/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 06:39:22 AM »
Damn regulations.  How unbiblical are they?

actually quite biblical if one believes the bible and that every person in power was put there by this god and anything thing that they say is direct from this god.  8)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/