Author Topic: 2015 KKK Invite with candy included  (Read 419 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +869/-34
  • Karma mooch
Re: 2015 KKK Invite with candy included
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
Something, something, something about the Southern Strategy.

I'm glad to see that much stuck.  Go back and read that article that I linked again.  It ties in with what Nam said.  The GOP was getting creamed in elections.  They had no constituency other than rich motherfuckers in Connecticut and Wall Street.  They saw wide disaffection with the Civil Rights Act, particularly amongst white Southerners, but also white blue collar men everywhere.  So, they made racism the core of their strategy.

Just because you supplied an answer doesn't mean I understood it. I may be able to communicate effectively from time to time, I may even come across as somewhat rational and reasonable but I am slow when it comes to complicated matters.

Well, then maybe you should withhold strong opinions and refrain from making proclamations with such certainty and without context?  It seems like it would prudent to tread more cautiously.  You should "pump the breaks," as the kids say these days.

This is stupid, Mr Blackwell.  Trying to tie the KKK and the confederacy to the modern democratic party.  That's just not reality and it is entirely without context.  Do better.

It's not stupid.

Oh, it's stupid alright. And it is stupid for the exact reason I gave: it is entirely without context.  That context is what you came right out and said you did not understand.

It's the plain truth but I wasn't connecting it directly to the modern democratic party ...

Since you appear to have such a love affair with the right wing, it is difficult to not see your statement as such. You throw out a one-liner and expect people to think things, and they do.  But since you gave no further explanation or context, they will think things you may not have intended. 

And what other conclusion are we supposed to draw?  Why is it important for us to remember that bit of information?  You do not say.

I don't think it was a coincidence that the party that fought tooth and nail against racial equality and civil rights in the 1960's suddenly changed their fucking tune after the republican party secured the Negroes right to vote.

Did republicans - the original ones, back in Lincoln's time - seek to abolish slavery only to get votes?  Is it possible for politicians to do something because they think it is the right thing to do?  I am not completely cynical in this regard.  I think it is possible that they do things because they think it is right. I think Lincoln's repubs did that.  I think congress did that when passing the CRA.

And let us examine this claim that the republican party secured the CRA.
who voted for it?[1] 136 out of 171 repub representatives and 27 of 33 repub senators. Note, there were only 33 repubs in the senate.  An indicator of their political situation. 

But who else voted for it?  153 of 233 democratic representatives, and 46 of 67 senators.  So, in gross numbers, more dems voted for it than repubs.  It never would have passed without the repubs, but it would not have even come close without the dems.  And who signed it?  A democratic president. 

A better way to look at it is who voted for it based on Union/ Confederate affiliation.  Of the former union states, 353 of 391 congressfolks voted for it.  Of the former traitors, 9 of 124 voted for it.  So it was less about political affiliation than it was geographical.  There is a nice chart in that link that controls for both geography and political affiliation.  Dems & repubs from the north were way more likely to vote for it than dems & repubs from the South. In fact, more southern dems voted for it (9 of 112) than southern repubs (0 of 12).

So that claim is a lot of hot air.
 1. This is a very good article.  Read it. Twice if you have to.  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/28/republicans-party-of-civil-rights
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +869/-34
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
The context is civil rights. Most people don't know the history of the two parties. Is it important to maintain an accurate understanding of history or not? 

Oh, I totally agree.  Accurate understanding is vital.  The problem is, you did not provide an accurate understanding.  You should be aware of this since you are aware that you don't understand

If you think the quote provide by Ronald Kessler is bullshit then present your case. Why do you think it's bullshit?

Dude, you are asking me to disprove your claim.

Bereft is right, he is injecting his conservative bias into this.

What makes any of you think I am conservative?

I did not say you were a conservative.  I said you have conservative bias.  You do.

Just what do you suppose my bias might actually be?

I said right in the quote.  Your bias is conservative.

Also, some more links for you to read regarding the parties and their positions on civil rights.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/history-democrats-republicans-on-civil-rights-equality/   <-- has some nice clickbait
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/05/conservative-fantasy-history-of-civil-rights.html   <-- probably the better article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_Democratic_Party

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +115/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
Another problem with opinions like the one(s) Blackwell offered, that it is current Dems responsible for the general status of black americans and that they are hurting us and we don't know it, is that it's another example of them (people who hold that opinion) being offensive and not recognizing it.

screwtape has already apparently explained the Southern Strategy and switch of the parties. However, Blackwell, you are assuming we or anyone is simply voting for a party title and that we don't know or cannot recognize who has at the very least a better platform for us. It's extremely insulting. Truth is, with the republicans of today being apologetically openly and overtly racist 90%+ of us simply will not even consider your party, and rightfully so.  I will generalize here because your party campaigns openly racist, your representatives behave openly racist, and no one does so much as say anything about it. If an individual is not openly racist, they are complicit with it an I will include the few black republicans in office in that bunch as well until they speak out. This doesn't mean there aren't closeted racist Dems as I am sure there are, but only one party regularly puts us in elected offices.

As it stands due to Reps being unelectable to me and most blacks, it has really injured the political system for us. Dems know that they dont have to get any results on issues that matter because their competition is unelectable. Thus I am trying to get across to people I know that to withhold your vote at this time is actually exercising your right to vote and probably is the best bet until Dems get stuff done, or never be in office.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +105/-1
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
All this crap about dems keeping black people dependent and in ghettos is straight out of a Rush Limbaugh show.

Yep. Even while this meme is being used to portray Democrats as the "real" racist oppressors, it is, itself, a core belief behind the bigoted right-wing stereotype of minority and poor voters just looking for handouts to avoid work. And unlike the racism of the Democratic party of more than a half-century ago, this kind of thinking is prominent in the Republican party of TODAY.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +498/-120
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »
All this crap about dems keeping black people dependent and in ghettos is straight out of a Rush Limbaugh show.

Yep. Even while this meme is being used to portray Democrats as the "real" racist oppressors, it is, itself, a core belief behind the bigoted right-wing stereotype of minority and poor voters just looking for handouts to avoid work. And unlike the racism of the Democratic party of more than a half-century ago, this kind of thinking is prominent in the Republican party of TODAY.

That's because the vast majority of Republicans today were the Democratic party of half a century ago who were doing such things to black people.

;)

-Nam
Quote from: David Garrett Arnold
there are oceans of words aged in prayer,
against geometric lines, and cloudbeaten skies;
credulous allure—slowly captivated in hearts fair—
trees and flowers bloomed in grace upon one's eyes.