Author Topic: 10 Atheist Myths Debunked  (Read 364 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: 10 Atheist Myths Debunked
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 03:02:56 AM »
Quote from: Ashley
...and now it isn't even seen as the torture device it was.

To an idiot it's not seen as a torture device especially since many of them have a guy NAILED TO IT.

Religion really does make one stupider. You're proof.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
When I was a JW, they asked it this way: If your mother was killed by a gun, would you wear a little silver one around your neck to remember her by? Why would you want to celebrate or commemorate the exact manner of her death? And they had a point. Which is why JW's don't wear crosses or have them as decorations in the Kingdom Halls.[1]

People who are against the death penalty are not going to wear little electric chairs around their necks, to remind people of the sacrifice made by the unjustly executed. Peaceniks don't wear jewelry made in the shape of bombs. Wearing a symbol--whether a flag, a peace sign or a swastika-- usually means you are in favor of it.  It is not much of a stretch to think that Christians are promoting crucifixion by wearing the device used to do the deed.

A hanging noose is still a hanging noose, and it would be damn medieval creepy to wear one as jewelry.[2] No matter how you try to pretty it up, sticking precious stones on it and whatnot. :P
 1. They also think Jesus was nailed to a stake like a telephone pole instead of a cross. A top-heavy stick with a crossbar does seem less stable from an engineering standpoint, but who knows? We have no photos or sketches from bible times that show exactly how they executed criminals. Maybe they just nailed them on to the nearest tree. Whatever. JW's won't wear little silver stakes as jewelry either.
 2. Especially if the dead person is still hanging from it!
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
Nazi swastika. Hinduism, Jainism, and some Buddhism have been using the swastika for thousands of years. Some have it tattooed to them. Has nothing to do with Nazism.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 01:52:38 PM »
Nazi swastika. Hinduism, Jainism, and some Buddhism have been using the swastika for thousands of years. Some have it tattooed to them. Has nothing to do with Nazism.

-Nam

I know that. It means the circle of life, the four directions, etc. It is woven in tapestries and rugs, in mosaics, on temples, everywhere. I hope Indian people will be able to reclaim it and change the meaning back.

My point is that if you wear something as a symbol, you are usually in favor of what it means. People who think the swastika is a Nazi symbol will not wear one around their necks to remember all the people who died at the hands of the Germans in the 30's and 40's. That would seem perverse.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
I know you know, as most here do but we're talking to a close-minded person who doesn't read but skim what we say and thinks she has all the answers because Jesus felt her up in bed. So, to combatant such idiocy we should be specific because I feel she's the type to be a knowitall and try to school us on things she believes she knows that we haven't heard before.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
^^^Fine, point taken.

But if Ashley agrees that it would be strange to wear a symbol that seems to be in favor of the Nazis, she might understand why it seems strange to wear a symbol that seems in favor of torturing people to death.

Crosses with a dying, bleeding Jesus hanging from them are truly creepy. Even Christians don't stick jewels on the ones with Jesus hanging on them.[1]

Or do they? Anyone seen a Jesus cross all decorated?
 1. That would be like Madonna rolling around with a big sparkly cross between her legs or something.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
I've seen a diamond and emerald Jesus cross.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
I know you can't watch YouTube vids but find a computer you can, this one shows a gold cross with Jesus nailed to it and where the nails are rubies.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +794/-30
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
Just to be fair, so the xians don't start bitching about being singled out again, they are not the only ones to celebrate torture and death.  Some of the artwork in the link below shows Sikh martyrs being killing in all sorts of gory methods.  I have seen paintings/ prints like this displayed over the mantles in homes of Sikh people.  One that specifically stood out to me, was of a man being sawed in half, lengthwise. I wondered, "what the fuck is wrong with these people?"  Then I remembered jesus on the cross. Not all that different.

http://www.singhsahib.com/sikh-gallery-sikh-history.php
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
Yes, but do they wear such images around their necks?

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +794/-30
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
No.  They carry swords or daggers (kirpan).  They wear a small version of a chakram as a bracelet, called a kara.  Their symbol is three swords crossed and a chakram.[1]

And they say they are a religion of peace.

So, not all that far off.
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanda_(Sikh_symbol)
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
Shia Muslims also whip themselves bloody to commemorate Ashura. But so far, no tiny scourges worn as jewelry....

That bejeweled dead Jesus cross is mega-creepy. Kinda like the skull candies and cakes for Dia de los Muertos. Here, eat a frosted cookie in the form of a bleached skull to remember your dead grandmother.  :o

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 04:14:10 PM »
Look at this one: just a skeletal-like dead Jesus:

Just his head, diamond and rubies:

Diamond and rubies: (you may have to zoom in)

One with diamond thorns, just head:

Etc.,

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
Jesus snuff pron bling. Who knew?  :o

Damn are we ever in the wrong business. We should not be trying to break people away from this sh!t. We should just cave in and start selling it to them. It's not like the people getting rich off this are believers!  :P

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +439/-107
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »

;)

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:41 PM »
Now that's an attractive image. Pass the brain bleach, please.  :P

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +794/-30
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »

;)

-Nam

That was my avatar briefly, once upon a time.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials