Author Topic: God and Earthquakes  (Read 46 times)

albeto and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +191/-2
God and Earthquakes
« on: Yesterday at 11:31:42 AM »
So today after the earthquake in Italy, an understandably distraught Italian woman screams " He took them all ," meaning God is responsible for the deaths of her grandchildren from the earthquake.  So if this is the case, should we be constructing earthquake-proof buildings?  Should we be going against the will of God?

So either there is a God that kills people with earthquakes or earthquakes are a natural occurrence.  Or some may say, it could be God OR a natural occurrence.   So God says, well, I'll be gone for a while now,  so earthquakes that happen now are natural occurrences, but when I return, if I need to"take" people, then I will once again cause earthquakes.  So while science builds better  earthquake  resistant  buildings, we must remember how complicated theism is.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +314/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: God and Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:58:43 AM »
Mysterious ways!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +320/-9
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:40:07 PM »
There has got to be a better way for the God thing to harvest His creatures.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +248/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:37 AM »
indeed.   Christians often want to claim that they must help themselves to get their god's help, but they forget that little aphorism doesn't occur in the bible at all and it says to do nothing to help oneself, but to entirely depend on this god.   So, no earthquake resistant buildings, no placing sandbags against floods, no development of antibiotics, etc.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +314/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:38:36 AM »
Humans have a strong survival instinct that clearly outweighs any and all of "God's" wishes!

I have never met a Christian who puts their mythology first when it comes to actual survival or medical assistance. Science and technology are currently the rulers of the world we live in, and all gods are taking back seats. Even the terrorists are using technology to kill - they don't have the fortitude or commitment to use "biblical" techniques.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +248/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:24:27 PM »
what of the idiots who refuse blood transfusions?   I do agree that most would never ignore the help of science and tech. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/