Author Topic: Why I believe  (Read 535 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +256/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
Re: Why I believe
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »

My senses are trustworthy.

I demonstrate that on a regular basis.

You likely have an emotional need to disbelieve me.  I don't.

So then you are perfect? You never make mistakes? If not, how do you know you were not mistaken about your interpretation of these alleged experiences with the divine? Did you consider other explanations? What were they and why were they discounted? You know that people make mistakes about extraordinary claims all the time, right?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline jdawg70

• Fellow
  • Darwins +619/-9
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »
I used to be an informal atheist.  (I didn't believe in God and I didn't care that I had an opinion on the topic.)

Four times in my life God visited me in person, the first time on the night of December 23, 1981.  The other two times I was already a believer.

I see no reason to doubt, I am therefore a believer.

Other happenings in the world on 12/23/1981:
In Nicaragua, soldiers of the Sandinista regime massacred 75 miners who had been demanding back wages for work unpaid.

Next time god visits you in person, you may want to ask him if, perhaps, he may have more important things to attend to beyond hanging out with you.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +507/-120
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »
I think that's the date he was born.

-Nam
Quote from: David Garrett Arnold
there are oceans of words aged in prayer,
against geometric lines, and cloudbeaten skies;
credulous allure—slowly captivated in hearts fair—
trees and flowers bloomed in grace upon one's eyes.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +682/-23
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
Four times in my life God visited me in person, the first time on the night of December 23, 1981.  The other two times I was already a believer.

No. No deity visited you. That is simply not so.

You think it happened because that was the way your mind was going at the time. Plenty of people heard voices, plenty of people get feelings of "deep peace" etc. Usually it's something happening in the brain.

Things that happen in the brain are very real: it is the source of our reality. Our brain alters - our reality alters. Nothing strange there.

So, can you think of another explanation that would account for what you thought you experienced?

If you can, please tell us.

If you can't, I don't think anyone is going to accept that you are thinking critically.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-5
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »
I used to be an informal atheist.  (I didn't believe in God and I didn't care that I had an opinion on the topic.)

then God is of nature.
Fuck the Bible, you can't even eat in it.

First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.

Sorry Allah, I pee with both hands.

If you are going to be a dick do it in a timely manner, ok?

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +286/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
I was once about the same as you were here.  I didn't believe or disbelieve in God; I just didn't care enough to form an opinion on the subject. 

Then I moved to the Southern U.S. and religion was forced on me from all sides.  So instead of relying on emotions, feelings, or the ramblings of other religious people, I looked into the subject with an open mind from a position of 'what's more reasonable to accept: God exists or God does not exist?'   

Do you think it is best for people to rely on reason, logic and evidence to make conclusions about the existence of the supernatural, or to base their entire position on a few experiences that they, as imperfect humans, could easily misinterpret in a variety of ways? 

Tell me what you would say to a person of another religion who claimed they had been visited by their god personally.  Would you think they were being delusional?  Is it only THEY who could be deluded and not you? 

I do not believe you were visited by God.  I believe you think you were, but you're interpretation is wrong.  God didn't visit you because God isn't real. 

You really, seriously think there are NO reasons to doubt?  lol. 

I don't know how you people put your shoes on the correct feet.  It's insane to say there are NO reasons to doubt.  There are millions of reasons to doubt. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Online sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2015, 10:39:47 PM »

It is called a selfie, it is the rage these days[1]. Keep a decent phone with a camera on you at all times, when big G visits next time click a few. With one post in Twitter or Facebook you can make all the atheists and skeptics of the world disappear.

FYI, 2+1 is not equal to 4. You are welcome!
 1. Obama, Cameron, Putin, deGeneres...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:43:39 PM by sun_king »

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +130/-2
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 04:07:33 AM »
Iblis.

Iblis asked for and was explicitly granted permission, by Allah, to lead people away from Islam. Absolutely anything goes, so, joseph, how do you know that it wasn't Iblis who visited you somewhere in the range of [3,4] times[1], pretending to be Biblegod?
 1. Does joseph have the same kind of discalculis King Arthur had in Holy Grail? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ashgP4YMdJw&t=2m10s
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-5
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »

then God is of nature.
I'd say if the the experience you have a wasn't hallucination or false memory then you observed a naturally occurring phenomena, if you think it was supernatural that is a little harder to prove.
if there is no explanation then you can't say it was anything definite.
Fuck the Bible, you can't even eat in it.

First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.

Sorry Allah, I pee with both hands.

If you are going to be a dick do it in a timely manner, ok?