Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 171 times)

ParkingPlaces and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Thanksgiving
« on: Yesterday at 08:27:27 PM »
I've been cooking and shopping for 15 hours, and I still haven't cooked the Turkey yet. I won't be able to start that until 3am -- and this is just my part. 26 family members together. Was 28 but two had to cancel because one had surgery recently and has to recover.

I have never cooked this much. Now I know why I turned down all those cooking jobs at past restaurants I was employed at. I like cooking for me, and maybe one other.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:35:43 PM »
This will be our first year we go to a restaurant. For the past few years, I've scaled way back to cook for three, just a small boneless breast, and the rest of the basics.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:48:58 PM »
49 people and prayer.  Oh well - the good food seems supernatural.  :)
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:56:04 PM »
Nam, I am sure you will be fine.  Just imagine all 26 people sharing what they are thankful for.  Makes your heart soften...right?  Even for an asshole.

Why is the best part of holidays and vacations when you get rid of them or back home and can relax?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:01:33 PM »
We're hunkered down today while inch after inch of snow falls.  Tomorrow my son will go with his father to a restaurant for dinner with members of his family.  Friday I will make us some turkey thighs and sides and a pumpkin cake for dessert.   Happy Thanksgiving to all!
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +48/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:21:50 PM »
I get to be at work! *thumbs up

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:31:42 PM »
^^^My sympathies, for what they're worth, G-Roll.

For me, it's just immediate family for Thanksgiving itself. We're staying a couple of nights at the family ranch: cook, eat, take some long walks. Saturday we'll go to a cider festival that's a minor local social event.

Drive carefully, those of us that have to.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +797/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:08:22 AM »
I'm working too. Which is fine. I get to spend Thanksgiving with two horses. And I get to cut up some trees the snow knocked down. And do some shoveling of sidewalks and such. And chop wood. Might donate a kidney too. I'm that kind of guy.

And, of course, I'll spend most of the time wondering why in the hell Nam didn't invite me to Florida.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:10:24 AM »
Nam, I am sure you will be fine.  Just imagine all 26 people sharing what they are thankful for.  Makes your heart soften...right?  Even for an asshole.

Why is the best part of holidays and vacations when you get rid of them or back home and can relax?

There will be only 3 Democrats, and 2 atheists there. Everyone else is Conservative Southern Baptist Republicans, and 1 nonconservative Southern Baptist.. As long as we don't talk about religion and politics, I think it'll be fine.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:19:06 AM »
As long as we don't talk about religion and politics, I think it'll be fine.

-Nam

Hmmm...my experience say's that is too many republicans to avoid discussing politics. They can't seem to keep it to themselves - you know, the latest Fox News soundbites about the liberal agenda, war on Christmas, the gays taking over, and of course, Christian persecution run amok.

Hopefully it goes well.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:53:15 AM »
Well, my Southern Baptist Convention Employee Conservative Republican aunt has a gay son so, I don't think that subject will come up. Gossip, in the South, gets around pretty quickly.

You know what I find funny, many of them love science fiction films and/or TV. One is a diehard Doctor Who fan, another loves The Big Bang Theory, another can't get enough of anything Star Trek but they're all Creationists.

I just find that ironic.

-Nam

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:57:35 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone; eat a little too much, laugh a little too loud, and safe travel for anyone doing so.

And remember, this is the last chance we have to enjoy ourselves before we have to get ready to properly wage war on Christmas!
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:42:50 AM »
I'm working too. Which is fine. I get to spend Thanksgiving with two horses. And I get to cut up some trees the snow knocked down. And do some shoveling of sidewalks and such. And chop wood. Might donate a kidney too. I'm that kind of guy.

And, of course, I'll spend most of the time wondering why in the hell Nam didn't invite me to Florida.
Be careful cutting up trees and chopping wood.  You know God hates amputees.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: Today at 10:03:30 AM »

Be careful cutting up trees and chopping wood.  You know God hates amputees.

Nick, they don't actually cut trees in Montana, it's generally a cover for coffee and story time with friends.   ;D

Online G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +48/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: Today at 10:15:29 AM »

Hey I know you! You are the guy on the Bounty paper towels right!? You are a bit of a celebrity.

You know what I find funny, many of them love science fiction films and/or TV. One is a diehard Doctor Who fan, another loves The Big Bang Theory, another can't get enough of anything Star Trek but they're all Creationists.

I just find that ironic.

-Nam
That’s because they love fiction!   ;D

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:28:08 AM »
The turkey I cooked:

-Nam

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +797/-6
« Reply #16 on: Today at 10:36:58 AM »

Hey I know you! You are the guy on the Bounty paper towels right!? You are a bit of a celebrity.

You mean this guy?

Nah, we're not that small, and we don't even give thought to putting on flannel shirts until its 50° below. But we do roll up our sleeves like him. Otherwise, we get coffee stains on them when we're stirring our coffee with our thumbs.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:40:50 AM »
I hate plaid and flannel shirts with a passion.

-Nam

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: Today at 10:53:45 AM »
Nah, we're not that small, and we don't even give thought to putting on flannel shirts until its 50° below. But we do roll up our sleeves like him. Otherwise, we get coffee stains on them when we're stirring our coffee with our thumbs.

You must be the descendants of women from Newcastle.

Oh and happy thanksgiving folks.

Online G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +48/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: Today at 10:56:33 AM »
The turkey I cooked:

-Nam
Dude I would so eat that..

You mean this guy?

Oh my bad. Is this you then?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #20 on: Today at 11:10:03 AM »
19 anticipated for dinner today. We ordered two deep-fried turkeys and picked them up yesterday. We broke up duties to make side dishes. I made mashed potatoes. I also ordered two Smith Island cakes. Not sure who is bringing pumpkin pie but I am not a fan of pumpkin.

There are many things that can be made ahead of time so you don't kill yourself or end up in the looney bin. Still, I would never do all of this by myself.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #21 on: Today at 01:22:35 PM »
No one but those who know ever believe I can cook. Everyone loved the turkey. They said it the moistest turkey they ever ate. They asked how I did that. I soaked it (the whole turkey) in butter and vegetable oil for two hours and then basted it with six spices: garlic powder, saffron, paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper. And after it was done cooking, I put a thin watered down solution of lime on it.

They loved it. 17 pound turkey, 3 hours to cook. Prep took about 3 hours, so about 6 hours total.

When it was cut, it sliced right through with ease. No "carving".

Next year I am going to attempt breaded fried turkey, like fried chicken.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #22 on: Today at 06:07:00 PM »
Well, Ferguson came up and guess their opinion on the matter? The "white minority" came up, mainly by a step-Uncle who's originally from South Carolina, and homosexuals came up.

I literally had to bite my tongue.

-Nam

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:21:33 PM »
My tip for cooking a moist bird is simply to stuff a head of garlic and a lemon (cut in half) into before roasting.

Also, roast the turkey (or any meat joint) from room temperature - not straight out of the fridge. Take it out a couple of hours before putting it in the oven.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #24 on: Today at 07:09:44 PM »
Well, Ferguson came up and guess their opinion on the matter? The "white minority" came up, mainly by a step-Uncle who's originally from South Carolina, and homosexuals came up.

I literally had to bite my tongue.

-Nam

Good job!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +797/-6
« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:36:26 PM »
Oh my bad. Is this you then?

Well, we're more like a caricature of him. Plus, we're gentlemen, so bears always get the front seat in a canoe.

Nam, sounds like you should have just cooked your tongue and ate it. Just biting it provides no calories.  ;)