Author Topic: Get ready for silly weather reporters  (Read 229 times)

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-9
Re: Get ready for silly weather reporters
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 09:27:46 AM »

We have just about 14 inches and we're only just over halfway done.

I told my wife that I didn't think she was communicating or conveying the intensity/severity of the situation...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70340966/Wife%2C%20Reporting%20Live.jpg

Too windy to even stick to the cars; just piles up everywhere where there isn't a strong enough air flow. Anyways, this is me 'working' from home.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70340966/DVZ3%20-%202015%20Blizzard.jpg
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline jdawg70

• Fellow
  • Darwins +462/-9
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 11:18:38 AM »
Too windy to even stick to the cars; just piles up everywhere where there isn't a strong enough air flow. Anyways, this is me 'working' from home.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70340966/DVZ3%20-%202015%20Blizzard.jpg

You know...there appears to be a miraculous beam of light in this photo...

Did you feel inspired to make snow angels by chance?  Could be a sign...
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +380/-89
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 11:25:51 AM »
See where it's positioned? Maybe he just got really excited?

-Nam
I am not even an idiot!  I am a smart man!  I am a smart person!  I do math!  I know about some insects!  I read 1984 in high school!  You don't know me!  I am smart!  you don't even know!

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-9
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 11:30:24 AM »
I "believe" it is snow moving past the lens... However, I can't look at the picture the same.  :-\

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 11:31:46 AM »
I blame it all the Weather Channel, especially after NBC took it over. I hate Jim Cantore, and AL Roker even more. What is so special about AL Fuckin Roker??????? He isn't even weather man, he's a celebrity and a very sad one at that.

Well they were all back tracking on the weather shows this morning. Our 24 inch BLIZZARD turned out to be a dud here on The Jersey Shore. Not one of the idiots said "we got it wrong."

They said things like:
We have to adjust our forcast because the storm track shifted.
We got lucky it didn't hit us harder.
Our snow totals will be less because the snow shield had a sharp cutoff.
In other words, "It wasn't our fault, it was the storm's fault."

Not one said "we got this wrong" or "we missed this one," I guess We  no longer have to admit our mistakes.

The local governments shut down 2 states, all the bridge and tunnel accesses to NYC were shut down last night, it was illegal to drive on the roads, and all the public transportation systems (buses subways trains) were shutdown.

We got enough nuciance snow but it was not enough to validate the sky is falling mentality the weathermen and news  casters lived on for 2 days prior to the event.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-9
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 11:36:40 AM »

They just reported 30in in Framingham MA which is the most so far and it's supposed to keep going all day into the night. We're just east with about 24in and supposed to continue all day into the night.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-17
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 01:02:20 PM »
Just heard on CNN - news anchor asks a reporter who in standing in the snow -

"Please describe the snow for me."

I am not even kidding.
Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +55/-0
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 01:17:43 PM »
What I think is the dumbest is when reporters say the most obvious things, like "It's going to be 10 degrees. Be sure to bundle up if you plan on stepping outside!"

Well, no shit. Whenever it's snowy and cold here I typically plan on going out in a tank top and shorts, until I hear the reporters telling me I need to dress warm.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +311/-38
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 01:19:03 PM »
Whenever it's snowy and cold here I typically plan on going out in a tank top and shorts, until I hear the reporters telling me I need to dress warm.

You too? God bless those reporters, mirite? ;D
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-9
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 01:19:30 PM »
OK - In defense of the information they "may" be trying to describe to other layman's that do not understand.

The snow we're getting is on a very cold condition (well below freezing point) in which is not "packing snow" or snow that is affiliated with kids building snowmen or the "clicks" of kids building snowballs to throw at the other they find weak or not part of their click.

Also, the "powdery" snow and wind means that shortly after the plows and large front loaders equipped with plows come through, the snow is light and powdery (minimal moisture) it doesn't stick and it all blows back into the areas in which have just been cleared.

This snow does not "stick" to cars others items but rather blows anywhere the wind (god) decides to take it.  It's actually very interesting to see the "flow" of snow and how it piles up in conditions where there is "minimal" air flow.

http://blog.ocf.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/VeLTA_flow-only.jpg

http://wildeanalysis.co.uk/system/photos/188/preview/ANSYS_HPC_Boat_Sail_Surface_Pressure.jpg?1271163321

But I get where you are coming from.

The snow that is falling now is "much" easier to move and shovel, even by elderly adults.

If the temperature rose closer to the melting point than the snow (water in a different form because of temperature) then becomes a liquid and much more dense and difficult to manage when shoveling etc...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:29:23 PM by DVZ3 »

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-9
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 01:24:59 PM »

.. Plus, everyone knows every snowflake is different willing of self-discovery.  ;)

https://media.wnyc.org/media/photologue/images/9c/01_snowflake_1.jpg

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +206/-8
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 02:53:50 PM »
Well, it looks like the East Coast (New York City...the rest don't count) made it OK.  I was sure this was another end time sign.  Just a snow storm.  Who would have guessed.

It doesn't trickle down to Florida until tomorrow evening. Give it time, give it time.

Cold weather in a tropical state -- birds falling from the sky. ;)

-Nam
Cat will be happy.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 03:16:14 PM »
I blame it all the Weather Channel, especially after NBC took it over. I hate Jim Cantore, and AL Roker even more. What is so special about AL Fuckin Roker??????? He isn't even weather man, he's a celebrity and a very sad one at that.

Well they were all back tracking on the weather shows this morning. Our 24 inch BLIZZARD turned out to be a dud here on The Jersey Shore. Not one of the idiots said "we got it wrong."

They said things like:
We have to adjust our forcast because the storm track shifted.
We got lucky it didn't hit us harder.
Our snow totals will be less because the snow shield had a sharp cutoff.
In other words, "It wasn't our fault, it was the storm's fault."

Not one said "we got this wrong" or "we missed this one," I guess We  no longer have to admit our mistakes.

The local governments shut down 2 states, all the bridge and tunnel accesses to NYC were shut down last night, it was illegal to drive on the roads, and all the public transportation systems (buses subways trains) were shutdown.

We got enough nuciance snow but it was not enough to validate the sky is falling mentality the weathermen and news  casters lived on for 2 days prior to the event.

I did come across one meteorologist who admitted they got it wrong;

Perhaps the most extensive mea culpa came from Gary Szatkowski, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service's office Mount Holly, N.J., who apologized to New Jerseyans in a series of tweets:

Gary Szatkowski   @GarySzatkowski 
My deepest apologies to many key decision makers and so many members of the general public.
You made a lot of tough decisions expecting us to get it right, and we didn't.  Once again, I'm sorry.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/snow-letdown-how-do-weather-forecasts-go-wrong-n294426

We need more meteorologist were like him.

Rant over.....

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
« Reply #42 on: Today at 07:19:36 PM »
We had a stressful couple of days...were on vacation in Florida for a little over a week for our 30th anniversary, and due to fly back to Connecticut late-ish Monday evening. By the time Southwest Airlines issued a travel advisory entitling us to reschedule, there was almost nothing left earlier in the day, and we preferred to be able to get home ahead of the storm if possible. Finally found a flight through Chicago which was due to get in at 4:30 pm. Booked that. Incoming flight was delayed, leaving us 20 minutes to sprint to the opposite side of the airport for the connecting flight, not even knowing whether it would end up being cancelled or not.

As it turned out, we were the last plane which actually landed in Hartford that evening, then had to get our car, drive 1/2 hour to my parents' place to pick up the pets they had been watching and another 1/2 hour to our house, which is at the top of a hill in a pretty rural neck of the woods.

Luckily we picked what turned out to be the best route to the top of the hill (there are 4 different ways to access our street...much as it's very rural, it is also very convenient to a hub of highways, and is a good short cut between them if you know it's there), and made it home around 7:30 that evening.

Ended up with about 28" of snow. Our street is still in pretty rough shape, so I'm glad I don't actually need to go anywhere for a couple of days.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +206/-8
« Reply #43 on: Today at 10:21:38 PM »
Nice looking place...but I can do without 28 inches of snow.  Were you staying at Nam's in Florida?  That can be stressful.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!