Author Topic: Jimson Weed.  (Read 83 times)

mrbiscoop, jaimehlers, Mr. Blackwell, wright and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
Jimson Weed.
« on: Today at 10:12:47 AM »
Has anyone else here experienced Jimson Weed?
Could be an interesting discussion.   

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1016/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Jimson Weed.
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:26:05 PM »
Deliriants are a game I have avoided.

I have had my periods of enjoying a variety of recreational substance use, and I have also gone through an entheogenic phase of life where I sought some manner of spirituality[1] through mind alteration.  While not a large inventory of chemicals, I have tried my fair share.

Jimson weed and a variety of other plants that are anticholinergic[2] can all be classified as deliriants - substance that are quite good at effectively annihilating your grasp of reality while producing no sense of euphoria or emotionally-pleasant detachment of any kind.  Bit of an extreme description I suppose but my understanding of delirium and of stories of datura use (like from erowid.org) and news stories (e.g. that dude who castrated himself with hedge clippers)...
...yeah I dunno.  I'm generally not one to tell others to stay away from drug use, but stuff like this feels like it belongs in the 'do not do this' category, highlighted, in bold, and with extra warnings saying "yes we really mean it DO NOT TRY THIS."

But that does not come from any direct experience on my part.
 1. Whatever the hell I thought that meant back then.
 2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-34
  • The Orb has spoken
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:58:15 PM »
Some people believe that a drug, like Jimsom weed or cannabis or LSD or even alcohol can help them see the world as it truly is but that is not the case. The thing that deliriants do is provide a means to short circuit your sensory organs to allow the user to step back and see the world as they truly perceive it. It's chemically induced confirmation bias.

That could either be a good thing or a very dangerous thing...depending on the user and who they take these types of drugs with because the perspective of the user can be easily swayed while under the influence depending on their immediate environment and how much credibility they give to the people they experience this alternate reality with.

At least three people have told me that while they were under the influence of certain drugs, they perceived me as God.

While that is very flattering, I know that is not the reality of the situation. Of course, after the effects wore off...they were able to recognize the difference but what if I had known what they were understanding at the time? How could I have influenced them to do something if I had nefarious goals or plans?
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Online carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:56 PM »
This kid I worked with one night while smoking a j asked me if  I had ever tried "this plant that gets you super high"...I doubted he knew what he was talking about and ate a hand full of the seeds after breaking open a "devils apple". This was before I had the brains to research before I ingested.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:23:36 PM »
Hadn't even heard of it before now!

Nope, don't believe so. Tried cannabis something like 2 or 3 times around my early to mid twenties (never did anything for me high wise though I just preferred the taste to cigarettes) and in my teens once accidentally took (what I was later told was an improper version of it afterwards anyways) some speed (didn't do anything either other than giving me a pretty unpleasant sore throat the next day). That's the extent of my experience with drugs!
« Last Edit: Today at 04:29:17 PM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:37:07 PM »
Some people believe that a drug, like Jimsom weed or cannabis or LSD or even alcohol can help them see the world as it truly is but that is not the case. The thing that deliriants do is provide a means to short circuit your sensory organs to allow the user to step back and see the world as they truly perceive it. It's chemically induced confirmation bias.

That could either be a good thing or a very dangerous thing...depending on the user and who they take these types of drugs with because the perspective of the user can be easily swayed while under the influence depending on their immediate environment and how much credibility they give to the people they experience this alternate reality with.

At least three people have told me that while they were under the influence of certain drugs, they perceived me as God.

While that is very flattering, I know that is not the reality of the situation. Of course, after the effects wore off...they were able to recognize the difference but what if I had known what they were understanding at the time? How could I have influenced them to do something if I had nefarious goals or plans?

Appreciate what you're saying. Strikes me that they would have most likely been pretty vulnerable if around the right kind of untrustworthy person or people even!
« Last Edit: Today at 04:39:13 PM by Emma286 »

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-34
  • The Orb has spoken
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:31:59 PM »
This kid I worked with one night while smoking a j asked me if  I had ever tried "this plant that gets you super high"...I doubted he knew what he was talking about and ate a hand full of the seeds after breaking open a "devils apple". This was before I had the brains to research before I ingested.

I'll ask you the same thing the owner of a small BBQ restaurant I worked in asked me the day after I washed dishes while tripping on LSD.

Did you learn anything?
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-34
  • The Orb has spoken
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:39:29 PM »

Appreciate what you're saying. Strikes me that they would have most likely been pretty vulnerable if around the right kind of untrustworthy person or people even!

You ain't kidding. It's one of the reasons why I'm still sitting on the fence when it comes to the war on drugs. It's more than just  personal choice.

Online carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:41:33 PM »
It wasn't until three days later when I finally returned home that I finally had sense enough to know what had happened.
Neighbors 3am "pizza delivery" in only shorts, a ride along with a midget(short,small) cop, holding tank for a night and a mind blowing conversation with a news paper dispenser...Asking police officer for a chisel and hammer to dig out my keys which had been eaten by the concrete floor of the jail cell I sat in.....

No. I didnt learn anything because I did it again with two marine friends of my brothers at 29 Palms. Thats when I talked to my brothers dog..full on conversations...for two days while his pregnant wife wondered why I was "weird".

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-34
  • The Orb has spoken
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:18:23 PM »
Please, feel free to ignore any commands or instructions from animals or plants or people that no one else seems to notice.

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +183/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:45:19 PM »
I don't remember any particular talks about drugs from my parents or adult friends while I was growing up. I was a real introvert and didn't make any close friends until I was in my mid-teens; maybe that spared me peer pressure to experiment with pot or harder drugs. A friend of mine in high school offered me some of his weed once. I declined mostly because I was afraid my mom would smell it on my breath or clothes and I had the vague idea she wouldn't approve. I remember getting the idea sometime in my pre-teens that taking drugs inevitably meant a loss of personal control, which frightened me.

This caution has stayed with me. I've never tried anything stronger than sips of strong liquor, and even that is rare. It's just not a part of my life. I once cleaned up after my college roommate after he puked up on his bed, got him in the shower and put his sheets in the wash. He had the grace to thank me next morning when I told him; he didn't remember any of it himself.

Point being, I just can't imagine ingesting something that messes with my head even more strongly than alcohol. I have a couple of friends who use pot regularly; they're responsible about it, but I still have no desire to experiment.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:48:42 PM »
Please, feel free to ignore any commands or instructions from animals or plants or people that no one else seems to notice.

I know. I was lost of any drug taking inhibition. It took a lot of undoing to care about what goes in.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:53:38 PM by carstensenscott »

Online carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:52:57 PM »
I don't remember any particular talks about drugs from my parents or adult friends while I was growing up. I was a real introvert and didn't make any close friends until I was in my mid-teens; maybe that spared me peer pressure to experiment with pot or harder drugs. A friend of mine in high school offered me some of his weed once. I declined mostly because I was afraid my mom would smell it on my breath or clothes and I had the vague idea she wouldn't approve. I remember getting the idea sometime in my pre-teens that taking drugs inevitably meant a loss of personal control, which frightened me.

This caution has stayed with me. I've never tried anything stronger than sips of strong liquor, and even that is rare. It's just not a part of my life. I once cleaned up after my college roommate after he puked up on his bed, got him in the shower and put his sheets in the wash. He had the grace to thank me next morning when I told him; he didn't remember any of it himself.

Point being, I just can't imagine ingesting something that messes with my head even more strongly than alcohol. I have a couple of friends who use pot regularly; they're responsible about it, but I still have no desire to experiment.

I cannot imagine my life without the introduction of at least marijuana. I was too torn to have a sober existence. At least without any sober, knowledgeable parental figures.