Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 1524 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
^^^Not to take anything away from her if she is talented, but I suspect that life is a bit different when you look like that....

It's the Scarlett Johannsen problem. She gets points for just walking into the room. If she is any good, even better, but she has already gotten the points. &)

But then there is the Pia Zadora counter-example..... ;)

She's not just an actress. She's also a writer, director, producer, cinematographer, editor, etc., however, she's mainly acted. She was pretty good in The Company You Keep -- I don't see just an acting career for her, though.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:02:43 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
^^^Not to take anything away from her if she is talented, but I suspect that life is a bit different when you look like that....

True, she does not live in the same world we do.  However, she graduated Georgetown with a degree in economics.  She was offered a job with Goldman Sachs - though, I'd probably offer her a job even if she were illiterate.  She turned it down to get into acting. 

She was offered a couple parts as The Blonde in slashers, and realized if she wanted good roles, she'd have to write them herself.  So she did.  Now, the films she wrote were not Citizen Kane or even Good Will Hunting.  But they were solid.  So, I think she's got some brains.  We'll see if her writing improves.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
Though not a movie, I just got the first season of my favorite show on DVD. Us fans have been waiting years. The Wonder Years. Sadly, the first season only has 6 episodes but I read that the Second Season will be out probably in December, and the other four next year.

I wanted to get the complete series at TimeLife but it's not in my budget to splurge like that at this time ($500).

I love that show.

When I went to WalMart I couldn't find it, so I asked and they still had it boxed up but they gave me a copy.

I read they couldn't get licensing on just 15 of the 100's of songs used. So, not like Quantum Leap.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) -- 9/10.

That's one fucked up movie. And the fact neither Leonardo DiCaprio or Jonah Hill, or Martin Scorsese didn't take home an Oscar is baffling.

Apocalypse Now Redux (2001) -- 5/10.

I didn't like the theatrical version and this one bored me as much as that one.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »
Anyone see the new one with RDJ and Robert Duvall? The previews looked good.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »
Though not a movie, I just got the first season of my favorite show on DVD. Us fans have been waiting years. The Wonder Years. Sadly, the first season only has 6 episodes but I read that the Second Season will be out probably in December, and the other four next year.

I wanted to get the complete series at TimeLife but it's not in my budget to splurge like that at this time ($500).

I love that show.

When I went to WalMart I couldn't find it, so I asked and they still had it boxed up but they gave me a copy.

I read they couldn't get licensing on just 15 of the 100's of songs used. So, not like Quantum Leap.

-Nam

I loved that show.  It had a lot of similarities to when I was growing up.  I also like Everybody Hates Chris which is in the same era as I grew up.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
One Foot in Hell (1960) -- 5/10.

It was okay. The synopsis read better.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
I loved that show.  It had a lot of similarities to when I was growing up.  I also like Everybody Hates Chris which is in the same era as I grew up.

So, you had a huge crush on Winnie Cooper, too?

I keed, I keed.

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +373/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »

She writes math books and has an Erdos-Bacon number of 6[1].

I have a crush on her today.
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s%E2%80%93Bacon_number
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »

I keed, I keed.

-Nam

Winnie Cooper rocks!   ;)
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »

That's higher than Stephen Hawking who is a 7.   :laugh:

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
Bang Bang
2/10
Starred Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif.  Both were just beefcake.  This film was a Bollywood remake of the terrible Tom Cruise film, Knight and Day, proving Bollywood can take any horrid movie and make it even worse. (links removed to avoid 404 error)

The premise defeats itself almost as soon as it is offered.  The #1 terrorist wanted by India is captured by the Brits.  He seeks to avoid being sent back to India by disrupting an extradition treaty by having the Kohinoor diamond stolen.  However, literally 10 seconds after he suggests this, he is broken out of jail, thus negating the need to avoid extradition.

Interesting bits about it:
- I discovered the deep and abiding anger Indians have over the Kohinoor diamond.  When it is stolen from London Tower, it shows all of India rejoicing and celebrating the thief.  Attention India: it’s just a rock, not your national soul.  Get over it.
- I discovered Roshan has three thumbs, two on one hand.[1]  At first I thought it was effects make-up, but when I saw it had no bearing on the story or the plot, I realized it was really him.  Kinda gross.
- Katrina Kaif is kinda hot – she’s got some junk in that trunk - but I’d call her a butter face.  Plus, I think she is going to have weight issues, sooner than later.

Ernest & Celestine
7/10
An adorable animated film about a mouse and bear who become friends.  For small kids and adults, but I don’t think anyone in between would appreciate it.

Prince Avalanche
7/10
Two guys painting lines on roads and putting in reflector posts in rural Texas after massive fire.  Stars Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch.  Both gave very good performances.  Rather slow, but I thought the photography and music were excellent.
 1. http://www.handresearch.com/thumbs/hrithik-roshan-double-thumb-photos.htm
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »

So do I.

:)

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2014, 12:30:06 PM »
I liked Knight and Day, I thought that was one of Cruise's better films. Of course I think Oblivion is better.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
That thumb thing...... :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2014, 07:12:45 AM »
I liked Knight and Day, I thought that was one of Cruise's better films.

To each his own.  You might like Bang Bang then.  Roshan is hunkier than Cruise and Kaif is WAY better looking than Cameron Diaz.  Plus, singing and dancing.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
I liked Knight and Day, I thought that was one of Cruise's better films.

To each his own.  You might like Bang Bang then.  Roshan is hunkier than Cruise and Kaif is WAY better looking than Cameron Diaz.  Plus, singing and dancing.

Not really into Bollywood films. I like films from India but mainly from the 40's and 50's.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 06:15:22 PM »
These are all the movies I watched today, all from the 1930s, and about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes:

Parachute Jumper (1933) -- 6/10.
Penrod and Sam (1931) -- 6/10.
The Mind Reader (1933) -- 6/10.
The Office Wife (1930) -- 5/10.
The Hatchet Man (1932) -- 6/10.
Heroes for Sale (1933) -- 7/10.
Loose Ankles (1930) -- 5/10.
Midnight Mary (1933) -- 7/10.
Red Morning (1934) -- 5/10.

Note: There are only 3 movies linked because that's when I figured out why I kept getting the "Forbidden" message. I figured it out on the last linked one: it only allowed me to link three of them. It had nothing to do with any words used, ironically.

-Nam