Author Topic: So we're back... for now.  (Read 402 times)

Emily, stuffin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: So we're back... for now.
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
That was an alarming lapse; the better part of a week for me. In the interim, Emily and Nam have established a new forum using the old Atheist Think Tank moniker, for those interested: http://www.atheistthinktank.org/thinktank/index.php

My thanks for any and all who exerted themselves to get this site back up. And make no mistake, I'm also grateful to Brain for keeping the lights on in general. But those of us who found our way to the new ATT hope to cultivate that as an alternative if WWGHA goes belly up again, maybe for good.
So what happens to our new home since we are back at the old one?  Should we still decorate it, use it as a Summer home, move?

I will no longer be posting any topics here. So, if you want to read any topics i post, you'll have to go there, and if that place starts picking up again (which i realise may be a while) i may just fade away from this website except the blue moon visit.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +176/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 01:36:38 AM »
I'm going to keep visiting there.  I think I can keep up with both.

Same here. It's nice to have options.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +313/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »
I don't believe there is anyone outside of Marshall Brain who has access to the innards of this forum when this happens. All we can do is track him down and beg...ugh.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to do something proactively (via communication with MB) so that this doesn't happen again.

That has been attempted multiple times. He will eventually respond and do some kind of "quick fix" on occasion, but if we dig deeper and ask for access to the critical side of the forum, he goes silent. Keeping this forum healthy is not that complex as far as I am aware, but we are limited due to our access.

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
I want to talk to the magnificent god...I mean, Brain!
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +408/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
I'm going to keep visiting there.  I think I can keep up with both.

Same here. It's nice to have options.

Ditto. I expect this site to have  terminal failure eventually. We might as well be prepared for it.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 10:57:56 PM »
I'm unable to get on WWGHA using my computer, but Nam mentioned that he gets on with his phone, so I tried it and it works. But this is no way to whip out a major diatribe. With my frickin' thumbs! Never!
What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:55:11 PM »
I'm unable to get on WWGHA using my computer, but Nam mentioned that he gets on with his phone, so I tried it and it works. But this is no way to whip out a major diatribe. With my frickin' thumbs! Never!

You get used to it after awhile.

-Nam

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +189/-2
« Reply #36 on: Today at 08:42:01 AM »
   So I'm not sure.  For myself, smart phone and desktop are working equally well.  Maybe it's a "before Windows 10" thing on the static IP addresses if Marshall changed something.   I know so little about the possible problem I shouldn't comment.  I'm glad we have other site(s), but many times WWGHA shows @ 190 people, while isgodimaginary.com (thanks Mooby) has 30, or, to start out here atheistthingtank.org/thinktank (thanks Emily) has less than 10.  Even howgodworks.com gets some good arguments from time to time.  You get the feeling that WWGHA has been "provocatively" around for so long that we should stick to it as long as possible. It gets alot of angry, or hopefully, questioning,  eyes.  It would be sad to not be able to look at Nogod's, or Parkingplace's, Screwtape's, Herme's, Jetson's, Graybeard's, Kcrady's or RaymondKHessel's, (and on and on, easily another excellent 50 members) arguments. I really have the feeling (and the hope) Marshall will maintain it due to the traffic it gets.  A working mailbag board would also be nice again.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +245/-32
  • I find your lack of hate disturbing.
« Reply #37 on: Today at 01:55:51 PM »
This really is a curious glitch.

I have had full access from my laptop and desktop PC for a couple days. I don't have a smartphone and I don't need to use a ghost server. I also have not received any e-mails asking me to change my password.

Very strange.
When I criticize political parties, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #38 on: Today at 02:16:39 PM »
   So I'm not sure.  For myself, smart phone and desktop are working equally well.  Maybe it's a "before Windows 10" thing on the static IP addresses if Marshall changed something.   I know so little about the possible problem I shouldn't comment.  I'm glad we have other site(s), but many times WWGHA shows @ 190 people, while isgodimaginary.com (thanks Mooby) has 30, or, to start out here atheistthingtank.org/thinktank (thanks Emily) has less than 10.  Even howgodworks.com gets some good arguments from time to time.  You get the feeling that WWGHA has been "provocatively" around for so long that we should stick to it as long as possible. It gets alot of angry, or hopefully, questioning,  eyes.  It would be sad to not be able to look at Nogod's, or Parkingplace's, Screwtape's, Herme's, Jetson's, Graybeard's, Kcrady's or RaymondKHessel's, (and on and on, easily another excellent 50 members) arguments. I really have the feeling (and the hope) Marshall will maintain it due to the traffic it gets.  A working mailbag board would also be nice again.

You can't compare att to wwgha. Wwgha has had national attention; has had blogs and has videos etc.,

Even IGI and happyatheist has had semi-famous people on them (famous for atheists). ATT has never had that.

At the height of ATT's popularity, it got that way because of Hal and Kimberly working to get it; and the constant crashing of this website and members going there because it was more like this place.

When this website, or if this website gets back on its feet, most of ATT will lose a base of its members because most of them are from here, and only there because they can't access this website.

But ATT is better than this place because it has an owner who cares. Yet people will come back here because of its popularity.

ATT is better than this place. It died a long time ago.

-Nam