Author Topic: TED  (Read 87 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +306/-36
  • 7.499 billion people chose non violence today.
TED
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
There are several threads highlighting this or that specific Ted talk and they are all great. Every Sunday there is the Ted Radio Hour on NPR. It's a really great show that takes 3 or 4 different talks and weaves them into a single narrative with interviews from the speakers about the subjects they discussed. I listen every chance I get.

So, I thought it would be nice to just a have Ted thread highlighting any Ted talk that tickled your fancy. I just finished watching a fellow who I almost immediately felt is a kindred, albeit advanced, spirit. Please enjoy, comment and share your favorite talks.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:49:25 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
As a child, I used to cry for myself. Now, I cry for humanity.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +228/-2
Re: TED
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +306/-36
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:48:19 PM »
#3 Telos Thinking. To what end?

That has been a burning question in my mind for years. What is the goal? It was the first question I asked of this forum after I first discovered it and the people who populate it. However, I did phrase it differently because my understanding of the world I find myself in was much more naive than it is today.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,13964.msg309141.html#msg309141

I am still ever curious what the longterm goal is.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +228/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
My own view is that whatever "benefits"[1] humanity's offspring and offspring's offspring, etc., is what the long term goal is. 

Let's say Donald Trump and KJU are crazy enough to start a long nuclear war, both locking themselves in their respective bedrooms with their respective nuclear codes/real life play stations, and worldwide humanity and nature suffers because of it - THAT is the type of thing that should be avoided by thinking long term. Easy to see non-nuclear war as a "benefit".

1. however, the idea of "benefits", is where our debates continue to be
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:23:33 PM by shnozzola »

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +306/-36
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
My own view is that whatever "benefits"[1] our offspring and offspring's offspring, etc., is what the long term goal is. 

Let's say Donald Trump and KJU are crazy enough to start a long nuclear war, both locking themselves in their respective bedrooms with their respective nuclear codes/real life play stations, and worldwide humanity and nature suffers because of it - THAT is the type of thing that should be avoided by thinking long term. Easy to see non-nuclear war as a "benefit".

1. however, the idea of "benefits", is where our debates continue to be

Well compared to that scenario I guess convential war could be viewed as a benefit. But damn. That's still a harsh view.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +228/-2
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
  I just used nuclear war as an obvious way to think "long term" planning is necessary.  A guy in my office at work thinks US conventional war with NK is a good idea for the long term.  I disagree, thinking conventional war with NK is just a step less stupid than nuclear war.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +228/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »

"In this talk, Dr. Peter Gray compellingly brings attention to the reality that over the past 60 years in the United States there has been a gradual but, overall dramatic decline in children's freedom to play with other children, without adult direction."

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +306/-36
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
Oh I liked that one.

It is strange how the times change and I am a firm believer that change is not always good. My wife is terribly fearful of letting our children out of her sight. Me? Not so much. From dusk until dawn was my childhood during the summer. I was free to play with the other kids in my neighborhood, without adult supervision. All I had to do was be within "earshot" when it got close to suppertime or nightfall.

Statistically, it is safer today for kids to be out in the streets and parks or neighborhoods than it was when I was growing up but parents today are twice as wary about letting their children out of their sight.

Hell, some parents have been arrested for letting their children play in a community park alone.

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/hayley-parenting/tennessee-mom-arrested-after-letting-kids-play-outside-unsuperv

I can remember going sledding in the winter and being away from my house, without adult or parental supervision for more than 5 hours at a time. I used to walk half a mile to Cat Island Park and play with my cousin...just the two of us unsupervised. Hell, we used to walk all the way across town by ourselves to the public pool.

I am only in my early 40's.

I think people are more paranoid now than ever because of the the constant and easy access to local horror stories. People "perceive" that violence is on the rise because we have a hundred and one news outlets that broadcast terrible news 24/7. But if you look at the actual statistics...we are much safer now than we were 30 years ago on nearly every measurable level. Yet scared to death to let our children venture out into this world we created alone.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:49:23 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +306/-36
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:22:13 PM »
My wife shared this with me just a few minutes ago. She's awesome.