Author Topic: An Article Spammed to me  (Read 171 times)

Offline King_Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • ~WWGHA~ MEMBER :D
An Article Spammed to me
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
So here I was just minding my own business and this came up out of an email of a friend so enjoy.

http://io9.com/pope-rails-against-intelligent-design-says-god-isnt-a-1652162938
So I see this is how the Vatican probably reacted when they found out that the earth was round.

"God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life," the pope said.
-I sort of thought god was both when I catholic, so I can see how confused people will be.  I am starting to think that religion is on a decline and with their theist ideas being circular reasoning most of the time, more people are wanting to break out of that bubble.

That is just what I got out of it, nothing...
...if you hear your son asking for cocaine why dont you give it to him?

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: An Article Spammed to me
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
Yeah, this has generated some media buzz, despite it not being really news. AFAIK, Popes have been saying similar things since the 1960s. There's a thread about it here:http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27592.0.html

I am starting to think that religion is on a decline and with their theist ideas being circular reasoning most of the time, more people are wanting to break out of that bubble.

Religion as a whole does seem to be declining. I attribute that to more people getting enough education to realize the gods their culture saddled them with aren't needed to explain the world anymore.

Unfortunately, that really, really upsets the fundies who use their beliefs to define themselves. This scares them to the point where some of them will lash out against what they perceive as an attack on their persons / beliefs.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »
Hi King_Me, and a belated welcome to the forum.

I was also raised Catholic and never thought that there was a contradiction between evolution and a creator god, even after I bailed on Catholicism and SPAGged my way into creating my own Personal Jesus[1].

It just never occurred to me that there were actual real live people who didn't "believe in" evolution. Then I moved (temporarily) from a biggish metro area to a smaller one and suffered a bit of culture shock. I met my very first Catholic Creationist and was honestly kind of shocked. It had never crossed my mind that there are contemporary Catholics who deny evolution - she's a 19 year old college student, set to graduate in two more semesters - she took two years of college in high school so she's had ample exposure to ideas. Even more baffling to me, she's employed by her church as a youth group leader and she runs a CCD class on Wednesday evenings. She's apparently devoted to her church and her religion, yet somehow unaware that the stance she's taken on this specific issue is in direct opposition to the position taken by The Vatican since the 60's - decades before she was born.

I guess she has her own Personal Jesus too, because she's fairly liberal about most other issues, including gay marriage.
 1. Because after I wrote it, it cried out for an attribution
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline King_Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
Yeah, this has generated some media buzz, despite it not being really news. AFAIK, Popes have been saying similar things since the 1960s. There's a thread about it here:http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27592.0.html

I am starting to think that religion is on a decline and with their theist ideas being circular reasoning most of the time, more people are wanting to break out of that bubble.

Religion as a whole does seem to be declining. I attribute that to more people getting enough education to realize the gods their culture saddled them with aren't needed to explain the world anymore.

Unfortunately, that really, really upsets the fundies who use their beliefs to define themselves. This scares them to the point where some of them will lash out against what they perceive as an attack on their persons / beliefs.

Oh thanks for the link I didn't realize it was already here :)

I totally agree with you that if we educate people through facts and science the world will change for the better.  However I still see that "intelligent design" supporters will still waste time trying to get their ideas into school.  Christians are always the first ones to complain if anything but their creationist ideas are taught...yet they can't agree on what their own mythical theories are.

And to your second point, I completely agree with that statement and that points directly back to what a theist is, a SPAG. 

Offline King_Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »
Hi King_Me, and a belated welcome to the forum.

I was also raised Catholic and never thought that there was a contradiction between evolution and a creator god, even after I bailed on Catholicism and SPAGged my way into creating my own Personal Jesus[1].

It just never occurred to me that there were actual real live people who didn't "believe in" evolution. Then I moved (temporarily) from a biggish metro area to a smaller one and suffered a bit of culture shock. I met my very first Catholic Creationist and was honestly kind of shocked. It had never crossed my mind that there are contemporary Catholics who deny evolution - she's a 19 year old college student, set to graduate in two more semesters - she took two years of college in high school so she's had ample exposure to ideas. Even more baffling to me, she's employed by her church as a youth group leader and she runs a CCD class on Wednesday evenings. She's apparently devoted to her church and her religion, yet somehow unaware that the stance she's taken on this specific issue is in direct opposition to the position taken by The Vatican since the 60's - decades before she was born.

I guess she has her own Personal Jesus too, because she's fairly liberal about most other issues, including gay marriage.
 1. Because after I wrote it, it cried out for an attribution

Well thanks, and it's nice to meet you Jag,

That is really interesting because by being influenced by my public education on evolution and the education I received from the church, I formulated my own personal god and how I believed he/it was and from my own theories I came up with answers to all my questions in the beginning.  As I started reading the bible and several books by the saints and apologists I discovered that all the people who wrote the bible and compiled it had their own ideas of god and each saint, and each apologist did as well.  When I came across all the contradictions in the bible and churchy material I found out that these people who studied their whole lives and countless years on god, they had absolutely no answers, no truth, and circular arguments. 

I grew up in a fairly small town and I have come across other denominations that didn't believe in evolution but it was actually until I went to a catholic church in Cincinnati, OH old st. Mary's which is a pretty church full of diehard pre-Vatican II catholics and they completely deny evolution.   It was a real shock to me to discover that church really had a false sense of unity on doctrine and even unto this day I don't understand how conservative and liberal parishes can exist within the church.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
What's a pope? And does it rope-a-dope?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:53:15 AM »

Christians are always the first ones to complain if anything but their creationist ideas are taught...yet they can't agree on what their own mythical theories are.

This Christians! You can put your nonsense in school books once ALL of you have agreed what the nonsense should be!
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:30:26 PM »
^that'll never happen. Either one.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.