Author Topic: Why Christian Creationists Hate Evolution  (Read 217 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Why Christian Creationists Hate Evolution
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »
this article reminded me of something skeptic said the other day about why do we, as atheists, care so much about certain issues dealing with whatever issue he's railing against us about and it made me think: "Why do you?" Like with Evolution vs Creationism. Christians in the US, in particular, seem so angry over this issue but why? i mean, like True™ Christians like skeppy, why should it matter?

Why does people like Ken Ham have to build a replica of something in the Bible just fo prove the Bible? as a True™ Christian, why should he care? i find it baffling, to say fhe least.

The title of this OP is the title of the article...well...partially:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/07/there_s_a_key_difference_between_how_christian_and_muslim_creationists_see.html

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +408/-88
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
Re: Why Christian Creationists Hate Evolution
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:58:54 PM »
Catholics, church of England.... most mainstream churches believe in evolution. Church of England made a formal public apology to Darwin.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +318/-9
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »
All part of what the Christian mind set has "evolved" into.  They have seen their power and influence drop off over the past 50 years or so.  The fight to prove their faith is the faith must be fought.  Otherwise, the whole thing collapses on itself.  Plus they are jealous of how much control the Muslims seem to have over their flock.  The power thing again.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »
Catholics, church of England.... most mainstream churches believe in evolution. Church of England made a formal public apology to Darwin.

I read something once that only 60% of Catholics in the US believe in Evolution. Actually, the two highest religious groups in the US who believe in Evolution (over 80%) are Buddhists and Hindus and that a little over 50% of Protestants in the US believe in Evolution. The two lowest numbers are 20%+ of Mormons in the US believe in Evolution and apparently 0% of JW's in the US believe in Evolution.

Anyway...

-Nam

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +408/-88
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
It was a devout Catholic who is a scientist that stopped ID in court claiming ID is not science and he kept creationism out of US science classes by winning the case.

I believe the Pope supports evolution and BB theory.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:22:39 AM »
It was a devout Catholic who is a scientist that stopped ID in court claiming ID is not science and he kept creationism out of US science classes by winning the case.

I believe the Pope supports evolution and BB theory.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_money_supports_alternatives.html

-Nam

Offline frogkids35

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
I know a couple reasons this is one of the Most Important issues for many Christians.  Back when Ken Ham was starting Answers in Genesis, in the 1990's, I watched many of his videos, read AIG books and we did Bible studies from them. I subscribed to the beautifully done bi-monthly magazine that they put out to explain questions and inconsistencies, much like a creationist National Geographic.
So I'm very familiar with why it matters so much....
If you can't trust every word of the Foundational Event Of The Bible, then a Christian can start picking and choosing what else from the Bible they believe is fact. If one rejects the creation story, because it doesn't make sense, who's to say they won't reject the other stuff that doesn't make sense, like the virgin birth and the resurrection. And without those two stories, you can't really believe in Jesus as the Messiah and you go to Hell.  :( 
SO they must keep this "Foundational belief" to keep the rest of it from crumbling. And they have the illustration to prove it, which I don't know how to attach....
Also, to Creationists, it's a matter of pridefulness. Who do we puny humans think we are to think that we know what happened at the beginning of the world better than the One who was actually there?? "If God said it, then I believe it!" (How many times have I heard this loudly proclaimed....)

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +952/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »
And they have the illustration to prove it, which I don't know how to attach....

I've never figured out how to get image attachments to work with this forum, so I've usually gone the http://imgur.com route, uploading an image to their server and pointing a link to that.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »
And they have the illustration to prove it, which I don't know how to attach....

I've never figured out how to get image attachments to work with this forum, so I've usually gone the http://imgur.com route, uploading an image to their server and pointing a link to that.

Imgur rulez!

-Nam