Author Topic: Daughter subjected to creationism as school  (Read 168 times)

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
Daughter subjected to creationism as school
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
The Daughter goes to what technically is a religious school, Catholic, to be precise.
Now, for any schools to have their diplomas recognised by the state, they need to teach the curriculum set forth by the government[1]. For instance, there are some Jewish schools in Antwerp who refuse to teach human reproduction, common ancestry with monkeys and Ancient Egypt (and probably some other stuff). As a result, the diplomas they issue are not accepted in any colleges or universities.

So, this creationism was taught to her as part of, not science class, nor biology, but as religious studies (a mandatory course of two hours per week). It was clearly stated that this was a fictional story ... just like all the other creation myths and ... the kicker ... it wasn't even genesis they were taught. In stead, it was the Chinese creation myth of Pangu and his black egg.

Funny thing is, the Pangu myth is closer to reality than genesis[2]. In this myth, the universe is chaos which then coalesces into different sorts of matter. Then, Earth is formed (by Pangu) and only when Earth is ready do humans evolve from animals.

Clear proof that the Pangu myth must be true!!!

Of course, it does get a few things wrong, like the time for Earth to form is 18000 years and the universe was 18000 years old when Earth started to form. Also, humans evolve from ... Pangu's lice.[3]

Actually, this sounds like a standup comedy routine from 5000 BCE.

Aaaaaanyway ... the teaching of creationism ... Belgian style.
 1. We live in North Belgium, so the Flemish government determines the curriculum.
 2. granted, this is not a high bar to clear
 3. a creation deity with lice!!! ... and I STILL prefer to hang out with him rather than Yahweh!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Daughter subjected to creationism as school
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
I like this one, it even starts off funny: Makiritare Myth

http://www.southerncrossreview.org/19/creation.htm

The woman and the man dreamed that God was dreaming them.

God dreamed them while he sang and shook his maracas, immersed in tobacco smoke, and he was happy and also trembling with doubt and mystery.

The Makiritare Indians know that if God dreams of food, he fructifies and gives to eat. If God dreams of life, he is born and gives birth.

The woman and the man dreamed that a great, shining egg appeared in God’s dream. Inside the egg they sang and danced and made a racket, because they were crazy with the desire to be born. They dreamed that in God’s dream joy was stronger than doubt and mystery; and God, dreaming, created them, and singing said:

“I break this egg and the woman is born and the man is born. And together they will live and die. But they will be born again. The will be born and will die again and once more will be born. And they shall never cease to be born, because death is a lie."

:)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »
That almost sounds like an episode of Dr Who.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »
Taught the myth of Pingu? That's awesome!

Oh sorry, you said Pangu... my bad
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:48:33 AM »
Tbh, when The Daughter said the name, I thought she was having me on.

Online MatCauthon

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:42:06 PM »
Sounds like they are trying to do some extra brainwashing against evolution, so when she is confronted about it, she can yell "FAITH!" without having to run away with her fingers in her hears.