Author Topic: Does evolution disprove (bible) god?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Horn

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
Re: Does evolution disprove (bible) god?
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »
Funny stuff.  You're correct about the imagery.

I honestly believe the religious are more ignorant about religion than even I am.  Many have no inkling who Paul really was.  Science is a non-starter for them, and most have no clue what they've been arguing against.   What's truly mind-bending is reading/watching them try to turn religion into a science; that's when it becomes evident they have little grasp of either.

I know enough to know that the point of faith is that it requires no "proofs," while "proofs" (disproving) is the entire pursuit of science.  EVERY time creationism is mentioned by a "believer," that believer is screaming to the world how little faith he or she has, ergo, the quest for "scientific" proof.

I see the fights against science, the websites directing "Christians" which of Caesar's minions should be voted in, the no-evidence "museums" and religious "colleges" built as fortresses to battle science.  Vanity set to do battle, as if those were the words of Christ.

Faith belongs to god.  Science belongs to Caesar (where is it directed to seek proof of when god did what?).  They know not what they do.  When they dispute science, they belittle their god.

So, does evolution disprove god?  It doesn't even have to ask the question.  Leave it to the "faithful" to destroy their own rock of ages.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +681/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
Just for clarification, you were a Christian who didn't believe that Christ was factually The Son of God?  The caps are to differentiate from the belief that we are all the "children of god."

I don't ask to ridicule.  I ask because in my limited understanding of Christianity,  isn't the main point to be saved through the crucifixion of the son of god?

If he was a mere human, was he also the object of worship?

Again, I am trying to understand what seems to read as having been a moderate Christian.
At the time, I think I believed that he was made The Son Of God after the fact.  Effectively, that he was adopted.

This was partially because I could not believe that the sacrifice of a god's human avatar would have any value.  What's the point of an immortal being sacrificing their temporary human body?  And what good would that do other humans?

I also didn't think he was worshiped at all until some time after his death (assuming he was a real, living human).

Offline Horn

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
jaimehlers, When I first  joined this site,  I was a convinced atheist,  but was not ready to argue or commune.  The overt hostility was beyond me.  Then I started watching Hitchens, and felt the loss of him almost immediately, more strongly than I ever genuinely felt the loss of Jesus. Dawkins, Krauss, I enjoy them as well.

I feel the irritation now, and almost regret the years that I've not kept up my knowledge of the bible.

I appreciate your sharing, especially the statement of the folly of an immortal being's meaningless "sacrifice."  It reminds me of Hitchens' statement that god didn't give a son, he lent one, if biblical accounts are true.  Even a fundamentalist can't squirm out of that one.

Btw, the way you stated it evoked a mental image of Star Trek, where the immortal being was toying with them.  Thanks for the smile.