Author Topic: September Asteroid  (Read 161 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +140/-2
September Asteroid
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
Good news for those with plans for October and beyond: the Earth will still be in existence.

Nasa has confirmed – after rumours swept the internet about an imminent asteroid strike expected between 15 and 28 September – that the two-week period in question will be entirely free of Earth-destroying space attacks.

The likelihood of any known potentially hazardous asteroid striking the planet within the next 100 years stands at 0.01%, the space agency said in a statement.

Persistent rumours on “numerous recent blogs and web postings” that an errant asteroid is due to wipe out not just Puerto Rico, but the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States and Mexico, as well as Central and South America, persuaded Nasa scientists that they needed to speak up, the statement says.

“There is no scientific basis – not one shred of evidence – that an asteroid or any other celestial object will impact Earth on those dates,” said Paul Chodas, manager of Nasa’s near-Earth object office at the jet propulsion laboratory in Pasadena, California.

Sorry, ye of conspiracy/doomsday faith.

Said in my most depressed Eeyore voice - "better start christmas shopping after all.  Could probably even plan a trip to Puerto Rico"  :)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/21/nasa-says-the-world-is-not-going-to-end-in-september

We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Why can't girls have dinosaur shoes?"

Online Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +259/-8
Re: September Asteroid
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »
I still have my party supplies from the last "End of the World" bust.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +259/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »
Damn it.  My town just got put in a tornado watch til midnight.  Be just my luck to get killed by a tornado and miss the asteroid.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1383/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:41:47 PM »
Aside from all the, well, you know, death of every living thing on the planet and the complete and total destruction of all we know part, it would be kinda cool for the earth to get hit by an asteroid. Cool in that nerdy "a tapeworm is just like having a science experiment in your own backyard" kinda way. :laugh:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Defiance

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-5
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »
Well, NGFM, it would be cool, and not really tragic.

Think of it like this. If an asteroid really does hit, every surface being is steam. No suffering, no hungry children, no tragedy. And we get to see a giant rock coming at us! that has to be a little cool at least.

If no one's around to feel loss, is there a loss?
Q: Why are quantum physicists bad lovers? A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjokes/schooljokes/physicsjokes.html

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1383/-9
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:22:25 PM »
I wonder what it would look like. Who would be able to see it coming?  Only the people on the place where it would actually hit, I would assume. But they would all have their phones and cameras out, posting it on their facebook pages and youtube.  Only people in comas, and maybe in North Korea would not know what it looked like. Even people in jail would know.

That is why it is so unlikely that supernatural miracles, ghosts, demons, alien abductions and so on are real. Random police interactions, car accidents, wardrobe malfunctions and people tripping on the sidewalk are all filmed. Those explosions in China were filmed by dozens of people in real time. With a few billion people filming what their cat is doing, what they are eating and their own faces every five minutes, you would think someone would catch the odd miracle, demon, alien, ghost, etc. 

Amazing how much those Jesus appearances and alien spaceship sightings have dropped in the past 10 years or so..... :-\

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Defiance

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-5
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
Oh.

I meant the type of asteroid that would kill everything. Probably evaporate every liquid ever.
Q: Why are quantum physicists bad lovers? A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjokes/schooljokes/physicsjokes.html

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1383/-9
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
Well before it did all that, I assume someone would be able to see it, right?

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +114/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
^^^Given how much more and better technology we have now, a real "dinosaur killer" object would probably be seen from a ways off, yeah. And unlike the premise of "Armageddon", there are so many observatories, deep-space radar installations and satellites that no single organization could keep the news from breaking.

But the end would be pretty swift, at least for the "higher" organisms. What with an ocean impact raising miles-high waves, triggered earthquakes, red-hot secondary debris eventually falling over pretty much the entire globe and the resulting atmospheric dust causing a new ice age when the impact energy dissipated... Life might be reduced to the microbial level, leaving multicellular organisms to evolve independently a second time.

Maybe lichens, algae and such would make it. And cockroaches.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:32:10 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1092/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »
While I sort of understand it when religious folks think they have JC's return down to a specific day, I don't get this asteroid thingy. Making shit up and/or being really really wrong about the science of something should be self-correcting. After the due date and its lack of excitement, whoever started this rumor sort of has to go into hiding.

The religious crowd with false JC claims seems to have excused away erroneous predictions by claiming that their little group, with so much faith, staved off the return by being so frickin' religious it impressed even the big guy and hence JC decided not to come back just yet. As if that were the goal in the first place or something. So I sort of understand why the religious would play this game. But not the ass-teroid types. Perplexing.

When I first ran across this asteroid story, it was on a site that was all excited about us all dying and shit. And people were commenting favorably about the claim and its authenticity. I dared tell them that they were full of shit, but then I forgot to go back and see how folks took the news. And now I don't remember which site that was. Sometimes I just plain forget how to have fun, I guess.

You still alive Nick?
Anyone can beat around the bush. But unless you have permission from the bush, you probably shouldn't.

Online Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +259/-8
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:46 AM »
Yes, they missed that prediction as well.  No tornado, no hail, no wind, no rain.  Just an average night.  Weather people get paid if right or wrong.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-29
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
Good news for those with plans for October and beyond: the Earth will still be in existence.

Nasa has confirmed – after rumours swept the internet about an imminent asteroid strike expected between 15 and 28 September – that the two-week period in question will be entirely free of Earth-destroying space attacks.

The likelihood of any known potentially hazardous asteroid striking the planet within the next 100 years stands at 0.01%, the space agency said in a statement.

Persistent rumours on “numerous recent blogs and web postings” that an errant asteroid is due to wipe out not just Puerto Rico, but the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States and Mexico, as well as Central and South America, persuaded Nasa scientists that they needed to speak up, the statement says.

“There is no scientific basis – not one shred of evidence – that an asteroid or any other celestial object will impact Earth on those dates,” said Paul Chodas, manager of Nasa’s near-Earth object office at the jet propulsion laboratory in Pasadena, California.

Well now. This IS interesting because of the wording. They didn't say it wasn't going to happen. They just said it wasn't going to happen on THOSE dates. It's carefully worded propaganda to keep people from getting hysterical before the end comes. I like how they start off explaining the odds of an impact. Sequence matters.

1.) Ridicule the prediction with mildly humorous but condescending language
2.) Present the odds of an impact as accepted scientific fact.
2.) Claim that there is no evidence to support the claim that the impact will happen on     the dates predicted.
3.) Nothing to see here, move along. 

Notice how they didn't say it was not going to happen?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:23:49 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
Every night I flirt with death and every morning I wake up disappointed.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1383/-9
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
^^^POE? Or should I begin panicking now and avoid the rush? :o

&)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-29
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »
I just really love conspiracy theories. I hadn't heard of the asteroid hitting this September so I missed all the excitement and anxiety before NASA finally stepped in to calm our irrational fears. This specific conspiracy has apparently been going on since 2012. After spending some quality time on Youtube I have discovered that it's all an Illuminati plot to cover up the real spiritual awakening predicted by Isaac Newton in reference to the Atonement for Jerusalem. September 2015 through September 2016 is what they call a Jubilee. It will be their 70th Jubilee. This coincides with the 70th anniversary of the U.N. but more importantly, what's really going on is that CERN is scheduled to reopen on September 23, 2015. CERN is an inter-dimensional gateway. This coincides with "The Crossing" and when they open that door, our world, our flesh, our DNA will become united/corrupted with the inter-dimensional beings on the other side. This, of course, is all discussed in the Bible and the Quran.

Either that, or it's a vamped up pilot script for Hellboy set in Tommorowland.

I love youtube.   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:43:45 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Defiance

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-5
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »
I remember making a joke on Facebook that day on 21 December 2012:

"Guys, something will happen tomorrow on the 21st. The sky will become very dark. We call this 'night'."

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-29
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
I remember making a joke on Facebook that day on 21 December 2012:

"Guys, something will happen tomorrow on the 21st. The sky will become very dark. We call this 'night'."

At least you were accurate.

It's at times like this that I am reminded of the story of Chicken Little.

Online Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +259/-8
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
Didn't Chicken Little get the bird flu recently?