Author Topic: Deus ex machina: former Google engineer is developing an AI god  (Read 96 times)

Online CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +90/-3
  • Searching for truth without cherrypicking
Deus ex machina: former Google engineer is developing an AI god
« on: September 30, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
Found this through Tumblr... oddest technology-related thing I've seen in a while, but I thought you guys might find it interesting to hear about anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/28/artificial-intelligence-god-anthony-levandowski

Tempted to make another account on ChristianForums and get their thoughts on it tbh, just to see what they say.
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +109/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Deus ex machina: former Google engineer is developing an AI god
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing Crystal.

Hmm...wonder what in the heck, exactly, they plan to make it do!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +343/-9
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »
All bow down to AI.  Every knee shall bend.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +346/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »
I welcome our new AI overlords  :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +308/-39
  • 7.499 billion people chose non violence today.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
“To develop and promote the realization of a Godhead based on artificial intelligence and through understanding and worship of the Godhead contribute to the betterment of society.”

Fuuuuuuuuck that shit. I worship no thing.
As a child, I used to cry for myself. Now, I cry for humanity.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +581/-61
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
I saw this in Mass Effect. It did not go well.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +485/-5
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:07:26 AM »
While I would disagree with the intent to give it worship, I'm struggling to argue that a globally connected AI should NOT be considered as a god?

Consider.  There are already pattern recognition engines that track our purchasing and viewing habits, and will suggest things based on out recorded preferences.  Cookies are everywhere!  Refrigerators can track our eating habits.  Our internet history will reveal what we like to look at, what we are interested in.

Now imagine all that information being put together and processed by an AI who also knows all the shopping, travel, and entertainment options available (far more readily than we do ourselves).  And it is updating and searching all the time, AND scanning everyone's posts and comments, and so it will know immediately when something I would like becomes available - and often this will be knowledge I would find difficult or impossible to obtain (say, I have an ebay search logged for an item, and someone in Japan lists that item on SellMyStuffJapan).  I would never find it myself - but the AI does.

Now, imagine that that AI also has control of distribution, transport, and purchasing networks.  It could, in theory, decide that my desire for the item is high enough that it makes the purchase for me and ships the item - all without my involvement.

You could say that I "prayed" for something.....and the AI god fulfilled that "prayer".

A globally-linked advanced AI could know what we want, and have the ability to provide it to us without us doing any more than "wishing".  And with its depths of linked algorithms, it would be almost always correct - indeed, from analysing our habits, may well be able to fulfil wishes ("prayers") that we have not even formally articulated.....

Imagine: I like Star Wars.  I like strategy games.  The AI knows this because it has seen and analysed my commenting history and how I have rated particular games.  The AI knows that an independent publisher has released a game in a different country - and it knows (again from my browsing history) that (a) I would really, really, love this game, (b) I can afford it, but (c) I have no idea it exists....

What if the AI matched all that info, and purchased the game for me?  And a couple days later I am surprised by the game's delivery, with a note from the AI saying "from me - hope you like it".

Tell me again how such an AI would be different to a god?   :o
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +90/-3
To be honest, in my opinion the AI could only be considered a "god" if it could create things near-instantaneously, seemingly out of nothing. Just having a complete hold on tech, goods, and services would not make it a god or Godlike in my view.
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +581/-61
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
To be honest, in my opinion the AI could only be considered a "god" if it could create things near-instantaneously, seemingly out of nothing. Just having a complete hold on tech, goods, and services would not make it a god or Godlike in my view.

The problem is that tech, goods, and services are more than commodities at this point; they're necessities.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +378/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog

Ah, but there's the rub. What would stop an AI god from eventually being able to do such a thing? Granted, it is a bit far-fetched to imagine an AI god creating anything it decides to create, but we already have technology that creates things, thus it is not that difficult to imagine it at increasing levels of sophistication. Like, a replicator from Star Trek. I don't know how those are supposed to work, but I always imagined that it was capable of manipulating atoms. If that were true, then what stops the AI god from doing the same?

I think we have to let go of the idea that humans create anything unnatural, as we are literally limited by the stuff from the universe. With access to that stuff, what are the limits?

Online CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +90/-3

Ah, but there's the rub. What would stop an AI god from eventually being able to do such a thing? Granted, it is a bit far-fetched to imagine an AI god creating anything it decides to create, but we already have technology that creates things, thus it is not that difficult to imagine it at increasing levels of sophistication. Like, a replicator from Star Trek. I don't know how those are supposed to work, but I always imagined that it was capable of manipulating atoms. If that were true, then what stops the AI god from doing the same?

I think we have to let go of the idea that humans create anything unnatural, as we are literally limited by the stuff from the universe. With access to that stuff, what are the limits?

I actually thought of the replicator from Star Trek shortly after I posted it. You do have a point though.

I would argue that unless it had the power to bring people back to life or the like it wouldn't be a god, but the Greek and Roman gods couldn't do that, and in any case we might eradicate death in the future.