Author Topic: Kidnapped by the Sun  (Read 64 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Kidnapped by the Sun
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
[title taken from article]

http://www.newscientist.com/article/2098029-planet-nine-may-have-tilted-entire-solar-system-except-the-sun/
A jealous Planet Nine may have shoved its siblings for attention. If a massive ninth planet exists in our solar system, it might explain why the planets are out of line with the sun.

The eight major planets still circle the sun in the original plane of their birth. The sun rotates on its own axis, but surprisingly, that spin is tilted: the axis lies at an angle of 6 degrees relative to a line perpendicular to the plane of the planets.

[...]

Two teams of astronomers have just announced a new explanation: a hypothetical massive planet in the outer solar system could be interfering with all the other planets’ orbits.

Earlier this year, Michael Brown and Konstantin Batygin at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena argued that this Planet Nine could be responsible for some of the erratic movements of icy worlds in the outer solar system. With that planet plugged in to our models, the machinations of the heavens begin to make more sense.

[...]

The planet would have between 5 and 20 times Earth’s mass and be in a wildly eccentric orbit, reaching 250 times the sun-Earth distance at its farthest point. That elongated trajectory has led some to suggest that it was once an exoplanet and was kidnapped by the sun.

If that happened early enough, then its gravitational influence since the solar system was born would be enough to pull the planets’ orbital plane out of alignment with the sun, Bailey says. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune would move as one, so Planet Nine would not be able to shift them individually like pinballs. Instead, the entire solar system would tilt as a whole.

The fat man won't get off the see saw but then if he does will he fling us across the park[1]?

-Nam
 1. kidding of course
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +189/-2
Re: Kidnapped by the Sun
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »
So looking around about planet nine, it sounds like the possibility of a 15,000 year elliptical orbit that would explain its absence?  When is it coming back?   - they should simply call the movie Planet 9 (instead of District 9 :)   )      Who should be in the cast?
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
So looking around about planet nine, it sounds like the possibility of a 15,000 year elliptical orbit that would explain its absence?  When is it coming back?   - they should simply call the movie Planet 9 (instead of District 9 :)   )      Who should be in the cast?

Is it a prequel of Planet 51?

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1863/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:34:24 PM »
I thought she came from Planet 10?
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +243/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:49:27 AM »
I thought she came from Planet 10?

nah, that's the Lectroids :) 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/