Author Topic: Trappist-1  (Read 73 times)

Offline foke

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Trappist-1
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Did anybody watch NASA's news conference yesterday? They've discovered a solar system with 7 Earth-like planets orbiting an ultra-cool dwarf and named it Trappist-1. All of the 7 planets, including the most distant one, are orbiting their star closer than Mercury orbits our sun. Scientists say the first three planets 1b, 1c and 1d are likely too hot to sustain liquid water but the three next to them 1e, 1f and 1g are in the so-called habitable zone and might have the perfect conditions to have liquid water and thus support life, and the last one 1h is likely too cold. That solar system is in the Milky way and is a neighbour of ours and is really close to us, astronomically speaking, at just 40 light years away. NASA has said that they can have proof of whether there is biological life on those planets within a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKFaAS30X8

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +982/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Trappist-1
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +345/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »
I think it won't be long until we find other life out there...maybe not intelligent, but still. Or, perhaps more intelligent! Yikes.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +221/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
I think it won't be long until we find other life out there...maybe not intelligent, but still. Or, perhaps more intelligent! Yikes.

Who knows if they could be looking at our solar system and wondering if there is intelligent life here?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-9
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »

Who knows if they could be looking at our solar system and wondering if there is intelligent life here?
There's not.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +982/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »

There's not.

Dude what are you talking about, crows are smart as hell.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/