Author Topic: Murder among orangutans  (Read 65 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +133/-1
Murder among orangutans
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
Found this interesting...I wonder what it says about the similarities and differences between humans and other apes, the nature of sin and murder etc...It seems that there's some fairly complex social interaction going on here.

Any theists want to weigh in on this?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160203110924.htm

Researchers have for the first time witnessed the death of a female orangutan at the hands of another female. Even more extraordinary is that the perpetrator recruited a male orangutan as a hired gun to help her corner and attack the victim. Before this observation, lethal fights between females had never been observed in orangutans; in other primates such fights occur mainly between males

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1639/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Murder among orangutans
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:24 PM »
Wow. They are strong, too. Indeed, what will the theists say--that when other primates murder it is not a sin because they never got the commandments? That is what some say about all the killing and incest and multiple partners and drinking and carrying on in the OT. It was before Moses, so it does not count, or something. mumble mumble unchanging morality mumble mumble

Or maybe the apes learned sin from us humans? Or did other primates inherit sin from A and E like humans? Getting close to evolution with that....

Read recently of some teenaged primates (gorillas?) seen dismantling and disabling traps that humans had set, after one such trap injured or killed one of their band. It is only a matter of time before they just show up and take us out, Planet of the Apes style.  :o
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +489/-49
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:02:15 AM »
I recall reading a while back that apes are going through their own stone age at the moment. Cross your fingers.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline vundarosa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:20:25 AM »
Indeed, what will the theists say--

something along the lines of *when we murder we're just behaving like animals and since human's are not to behave as animals, this is just to show us what not to do*......one problem with this thinking is that it would imply that godTM is quite fine (read callous) to let gratuitous grotesque be a day to day event if it proves he's right  :o

vundarosa
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:27:30 AM by vundarosa »