Author Topic: Not 200 billion..... 2 trillion  (Read 66 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +194/-2
Not 200 billion..... 2 trillion
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
Turns out we were wrong; there aren't 200 billion galaxies in the universe.

It's more like 2 trillion.

The team looked at old Hubble photos and newer images. Then, it used new mathematical models and inferred how many galaxies are out there that can't been by current telescopes.
Its conclusion? More than 90 percent of the galaxies can't be seen by even our most powerful telescopes because they are too faint or too far away.

Also, the new telescope, the James Webb Telescope, is on the way:

The new telescope requires a huge mirror of 25 square meters (about 270 square feet) -- and a golf ball of gold (about 48 grams or 1.7 ounces) to optimize it for infra-red light. It is then coated with glass.

But technology like this doesn't come cheap. According to NASA, the mission, which is in collaboration with theEuropean Space Agency (ESA) and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) and involves a total of 14 countries, will cost $8.5 billion.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Online CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +77/-3
  • Proud Whovian
Re: Not 200 billion..... 2 trillion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:33:41 AM »
I know that they're just guessing on the amount of galaxies, but wow.  I find it fascinating how the more we look out into the universe, the more we realize how little we've actually seen of it.

So they're getting a new telescope, huh?  Wonder if they're going to dismantle Hubble or have both telescopes be in the sky.
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +416/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +321/-9
Re: Not 200 billion..... 2 trillion
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »
Wow, that is a lot.  Wonder why God just put life on Earth alone?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!