Author Topic: Why won't god heal burn victims?  (Read 346 times)

Offline dallacuse

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Why won't god heal burn victims?
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
Just wondering why god has no problems miraculously healing people with cancer from time to time, but never seems to use that same power to eliminate the disfigurement from which people who are seriously burned suffer.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/family-woman-set-on-fire-by-ex-boyfriend-in-2015-has-died

I especially welcome believers in a deity --any deity -- that supposedly has such a power to offer their thoughts on this issue.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +329/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Why won't god heal burn victims?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
it's a problem for almighty god, isn't it?   those visible things seem to be impossible for an all-powerful being to deal with, like iron chariots. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1031/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:27:42 PM »
I especially welcome believers in a deity --any deity -- that supposedly has such a power to offer their thoughts on this issue.

Here's a thought:

Circumstances like this also drive people to believe in the divine and the afterlife.

Not out of hope for reprieve or fear of death, but for the punishment of the wicked.

I feel like that aspect of religious belief isn't talked about enough.  Many times there will be arguments and eventually someone will put forward the argument that some people believe out of fear of death and/or desire for reward.  What is rarely discussed is the concept of people believing out of desire for the punishment of others.

For some people, the piece of shit ex-boyfriend who did this to her...the need for him to be divinely punished for this horrible act is a very real driver for them continuing to believe in the whole heaven/hell structure.

It all depends on what you want to focus on.  If she deserves it, she'll be rewarded in heaven and the temporary suffering she had to go through here on Earth is but a blink of an eye in the divine scheme of things.  If he deserves it, he'll be suffering in eternal punishment because he chose to do this horrible thing to another person, irrespective of whether or not such horrible thing was but a 'blink of an eye' in the divine scheme of things or whatever.

Basically...somethingsomething*handwave*praiseJesus!
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +469/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
^^^Fantasy revenge. I totally agree with this.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-9
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:47:38 PM »
Parents in Utah went to a religious event and left their 2 year old in the car asleep.  He died from heat.  So while the parents were praising/thanking God for whatever.  He did not stop their kid from dying.  How about that for faith?  I guess He does move in mysterious ways.  That kid He could have saved.  No amputee or burn surprise needed.  Could have just been a thought put into one parents head to check on the kid.  But no.  If It exist It is a monster unworthy of praise or anything else.  PS - the parents are idiots.  I guess they can make another.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +468/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 02:04:05 AM »
Just wondering why god has no problems miraculously healing people with cancer from time to time, but never seems to use that same power to eliminate the disfigurement from which people who are seriously burned suffer.

OPTION 1 - Because this is merely an earthly shell - the believer will be reborn in an incorruptible form in heaven.  You should no more pray to remove burn scars than you should to pray to change your hair colour, or make your nose prettier.

OPTION 2 - God don't heal them, because god finds them too distasteful to get near to.  Leviticus 21 makes it quite clear that anyone with a "blemish" - including being "scabbed", which I guess we can equate to burn scars - must keep the hell away from Yahweh. 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +139/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/family-woman-set-on-fire-by-ex-boyfriend-in-2015-has-died

It is ALWAYS the case with God that the things that believers attribute to faith healing are things that can happen naturally. So no supernatural explanation is actually necessary, but religious folks love to invoke Gawd anyways. This doesn't just apply to faith healing, but any type of so called miraculous thing. It's always stuff that could happen anyways. No magic required. As you said, severe burn victims don't magically wake up one day perfectly fine. People missing limbs are not having them spontaneously regenerated. People with traumatic facial disfigurement don't get new faces prayed onto them. Nothing ever happens that only God could do. It's honestly probably the most disappointing thing about religion and the most obvious reason that it is false.

I also think that a good corollary question to ask: why don't God's followers do these things? Jesus says his real followers will have even greater powers than him. Unless Jesus was wrong or isn't real (hint, hint), there should be no amputees. His followers would just be doing awesome stuff left and right, and the whole world would be puppies and cupcakes and 4 day weekends.
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-2
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
   Sometimes our arguments are standing in the believers shoes and saying - why doesn't god do this or that.  I hope believers understand what our view is -  No deities seem to exist, or have ever existed.  And my point - what does exist,  is humanity.  What does exist is our collective knowledge of how best to treat burn victims. What does exist is the tireless effort of medicine for centuries, building upon our step by step discoveries - what works and what doesn't work.  All from an evolution over billions of years - much more amazing than an omnipotent magician.

One could say that God's followers do do these things (heal burn victims).  They believe in god while going to school, becoming doctors, studying the proofs and the mistakes of humanity.  They attend college for years, do or learn research, the latest on skin grafting and antiseptic practices - everything that humanity has learned and discovered - and then attribute it to a nonexistent god, after years and years of work.

Really, theism is programmed to do absolutely everything, like every non-theist, - and then thanking a nonexistent being, while studying for the next test, or scrimping for the next bill, or praying that they get a break, but not getting it, then thanking the nonexistent being for the lesson of "not getting prayers answered".

Like is said in the bible - "they look and they look, but they do not see".  But in this case it is the believers that refuse to see the truth - that we are on our own, and surviving as a species is up to us, including  learning the next medical practice to safely learn, research, and treat the next problem.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.