Author Topic: I don't really get the question...  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Hamsaka

• Student
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: I don't really get the question...
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »
Thanks for your replies, but in all due respect.
It was mentioned on this web site that "the most important quesion is: why won't god heal amputees."
This brings up other far-fetched notions that "God should give you a million bucks if you ask for it" or "God will make me look 40 years younger when I wake up in the morning because I ask."

Well, to you perhaps.  I had a completely different impression when I read the exact same words.  You are aware of how you can tell five different people the exact same thing and all five of them will have a slightly different 'take' on it.  The differences in 'takes' are made by underlying attitudes and beliefs, the kind that run in the background and you don't think about much.  So what went through your head when you read 'why won't god heal amputees' was impacted by the stuff running in your background.  Yours.  You are an amputee, which adds an interesting angle.  If I was a theist in your shoes, I can imagine having some of those thoughts running through my head.

Seriously?
I mean seriously? Do you actually believe this?
Now, from what I have seen so far, I am going to get a lot of smoke and mirror responses.
This is a direct question to this forum.... do you actually believe this? Yes or no?

So our responses to you sound vague and evasive?  Ironic, as this is a common criticism of theists :D

No.  I do not actually believe that, and never have, even when I didn't realize I was an atheist but just unchosen or too analytical to be a good Christian.  I always felt it was debasing for anyone to pray to (beg) God for a special personal favor.  To me, that's the epitomy of selfishness, but even asking God to heal a disease, when so many aren't being healed felt twisted.  Why would God heal your cancer and not everyone's?  Why does anyone have to pray for such a thing in the first place?[1] 

So besides finding it STUPID and disturbingly self-centered to pray for personal favors, I never could honestly believe there was 'anyone' listening.
 1. Like I said, not a very good Christian

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +127/-102
  • Please give Islam back their god, thanks
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »
When I was getting chemo my partner's work chaplain came to pray for me.  There were 10 other women in the room.  I had to say and for all the other cancer patients and the impoverished.

She never came back to pray for me again. 

On the other hand a Christian Org., Hope, gave me a $2,000.00 pledge that helped a lot.  It bought my meds,  firewood x 3, my co-pay and gas to get to therapy.
LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER...ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +127/-102
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
orangecrush,

Hi, nice to meet you. 

It's not a difficult question.  Can you tell us Why God Won't Heal Amputees?  Why God let's poverty flourish? 

Comparing riches and youth to healing is your first mistake in understanding this very simple question.  Christians claim God still performs miracles.  God heals "some" people's cancer while CHILDREN die from it everyday.  There has never been a limb replaced. 

It's all about suffering for me.  Don't tell me something LOVES mankind/me and suffering is for our good because suffering is not good.  It's just a contradiction.

Why would one pray to be rich.  Jesus said it would be easier to thread a camel through the eye of a needle than for a RICH man to enter heaven.  Why would a Christian pray to be 40 years younger, afraid of dying are ya?

I don't think you know Jesus very well.
LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER...ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-14
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
I guess I should rephrase the question to ask that do you really believe that God does not exist because He will not heal amputees, give you a million dollars, or make you look 40 years younger.
Isn't this absurd to you?

Is it absurd to you that the christian god says he will answer prays, but does not answer them anymore than any other god, or any more than a hairbrush, (which does at least answer some hair prayers)?

You know as well as I do that no god will answer your prayers to make your finger grow back. The only difference is that you make excuses why reality does not match your desires.

Having a million dollars, or looking younger are not part of the proof that a god exists because they can be obtained by other means. Healing an amputee would be reasonably unambiguous proof that a god exists, but what we find when we have unambiguous circumstances, is that nothing ever happens.

That is the point of the question.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +127/-102
« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
I think since his arrogance made him look, how can I say this nicely damn it, ridiculous, he has now re-entered his delusion. 

Maybe next time he'll bring brains instead of arrogance and sarcasm. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1192/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #208 on: May 21, 2015, 11:03:27 PM »
Orange will not be bringing any brains. Can't bring what you haven't got.  :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +815/-30
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.