Author Topic: God Amputates a Leg  (Read 206 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +880/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
God Amputates a Leg
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »
Old News but I hadn't seen it.

New York man crushed by giant crucifix has leg amputated
https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/sideshow/york-man-crushed-giant-crucifix-leg-amputated-191700439.html?ref=gs

A deeply religious man in upstate New York who believes a church's giant crucifix cured his wife of cancer had his own leg amputated after the same crucifix collapsed on top of him.

CBS New York reports that the accident occurred when 45-year-old David Jimenez was cleaning the 600-pound crucifix, which was allegedly held up by a single screw. Jimenez has been a frequent visitor to the Church of St. Patrick in Newburgh, N.Y., where he made regular stops to pray for his wife, who is now cancer-free.

"The screw is useless. It supported no anchoring system," said Jimenez's attorney Kevin Kitson. "David attributed the cure to his devotion to that cross."

Kitson told the Digital Journal that Jimenez is planning to sue the church for $3 million after losing his leg, because he will not be able to return to his job at a pizza restaurant. The church has reportedly raised about $7,000 for Jimenez's recovery effort so far.

Kitson said the legal liability should reside with the church for "telling someone to go forward with an action and causing this accident."

I see Yahweh hasn't taken a day off from being an a$$hole...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online mrbiscoop

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-3
  • Religious/Spiritual faith is not a virtue!
Re: God Amputates a Leg
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
God giveth and God takest away.
So you're gonna go out there, drink your drink, say "Goodnight, I've had a very lovely evening", go home, jerk off. And that's all you're gonna do.
     -Vincent Vega

Online eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +400/-86
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:45:51 AM »
But Job....
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
A deeply religious man in upstate New York who believes a church's giant crucifix cured his wife of cancer had his own leg amputated after the same crucifix collapsed on top of him.

Poor guy - what tragic irony.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +137/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
Thread title is god taking credit for things humans do.................again.  ;)

Online YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Graduate
  • Darwins +75/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:53:42 PM »
"I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers, but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers? To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?"

I always think of this 1 Corinthians passage whenever I hear that a congregation member is suing another member or their church.  If they truly believe their book, they'll be willing to risk suffering and handle the situation within the church, trusting that their God will provide the right solution.  But so often that doesn't happen - when the rubber meets the road, they turn to the secular justice system, knowing that if they don't, they'll get screwed.