Author Topic: Theists, Do you pray before you post?  (Read 477 times)

CrystalDragon, nogodsforme and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline epidemic

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-26
Re: Theists, Do you pray before you post?
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
interesting, had a Jesus like prophet shown up in all world cultures, spouting the same message, I think that would have gone a long way to proving a likely god.  If Myans were told don't cut out hearts to make the rain come, just pray to the all loving all caring god, if they were told about original sin, the coming of a savior, the origins of the universe, and a big flood where 8 people hopped on an impossibly big wood boat with all flora and fauna aboard.  If that story had been told to all cultures around the time of moses and then a savior showed up preaching the peace and love god, I might believe. 

There simply is no worldly explanation the bible appearing all around the world prior to world travel. 

If you take the bible as presented and the timelines as gospel, I can not see how all cultures so quickly went from knowing god existed to polytheistic pagan gods.   As egypt was rising and their dog headed gods appeared, some of the Great great great great great grand dad patriarchs were still living to tell great great great great grand kids that their gods were bullshit.

You can say that this is addressed by the Moses story where they started looking to the polytheistic gods just days and weeks after being delivered.   First off I don't buy that, but even if I cede the point that people can quickly revert to old religions, I am not sure that you can create new ones on the heels of people actually walking and talking with god.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +255/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:01:43 AM »
I am not satisfied at all.  Don't BS or JST or Skep want to prove god exists?  Isn't the bible precious and not capable of being wrong?  Then why not listen to it concerning convincing the non-believer? 

If they can't conjure up the holy spirit I have no reason to believe they have a clue of what they are talking about. 

Is the holy spirit not the comforter Jesus left here after ascending into Heaven to sit at the right hand of God?

You know what?  I'm getting the impression they are afraid of the holy spirit.  What is more blaspheming?  Me asking for it to speak to me or the theists here ignoring the bible's direction on how to use it?

Yea I have a feeling alright that the verse, the only unforgivable sin is to blaspheme the holy spirit, creates fear for the theist.  I'm not going to live this life I KNOW I have in fear of something so unlikely.  8)

The avoidance of this thread leads me to conclude they doubt it's existence.  They doubt that they can channel the holy spirit even though the bible tells them so. 
Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man...Thomas Paine

Online CrystalDragon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +67/-2
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #31 on: Today at 09:13:07 AM »
I am not satisfied at all.  Don't BS or JST or Skep want to prove god exists?  Isn't the bible precious and not capable of being wrong?  Then why not listen to it concerning convincing the non-believer? 

If they can't conjure up the holy spirit I have no reason to believe they have a clue of what they are talking about. 

Is the holy spirit not the comforter Jesus left here after ascending into Heaven to sit at the right hand of God?

You know what?  I'm getting the impression they are afraid of the holy spirit.  What is more blaspheming?  Me asking for it to speak to me or the theists here ignoring the bible's direction on how to use it?

Yea I have a feeling alright that the verse, the only unforgivable sin is to blaspheme the holy spirit, creates fear for the theist.  I'm not going to live this life I KNOW I have in fear of something so unlikely.  8)

The avoidance of this thread leads me to conclude they doubt it's existence.  They doubt that they can channel the holy spirit even though the bible tells them so.

I remember reading at least from Gotquestions.org that it's actually impossible for us to blasphemies against the Holy Spirit in that unforgivable sin way nowadays, and that unforgivable sin referred to not believing Jesus when he was right there in front of them on Earth performing miracles.  So everyone's fine on the "unforgivable sin" front. :)
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1777/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:21:18 AM »
^^^Nice to know. Except for, of course, if it is not true and we are all screwed.  :laugh:
If you have god, why do you need the gun?

Prayer is begging god to change his mind.

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1777/-9
« Reply #33 on: Today at 10:27:59 AM »
We always prayed before we went out witnessing, asking Jehovah to open the hearts of all we encountered to his word and good news and so on. And day after day we got no hits and lots of misses. Like 99% misses. Why wasn't Jehovah answering our prayers and opening all those hearts? We really did not think closely about the relationship between our prayers to Jehovah and all the misses.

If we remarked at all on a polite refusal or even an angrily slammed door, we chalked it up to proof of how busy Satan was running this world. Give that perspective, maybe we should have been praying to Satan?

When you have a worldview that is not interrupted by, like, reality, you can compartmentalize on the fly. &)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +861/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #34 on: Today at 12:01:05 PM »
I've actually never even thought about praying before posting. I mainly pray at Mass, before meals when I remember, and mainly when I'm worried about someone.
Have you ever thought of praying one single prayer that would last you the rest of your life? It would save a lot of time: there you are in some church and every week you hear the same prayers. Why not just start with "Dear God, this goes for every day of my life <insert prayer>" Job done!

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online CrystalDragon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +67/-2
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:41:05 PM »
I've actually never even thought about praying before posting. I mainly pray at Mass, before meals when I remember, and mainly when I'm worried about someone.
Have you ever thought of praying one single prayer that would last you the rest of your life? It would save a lot of time: there you are in some church and every week you hear the same prayers. Why not just start with "Dear God, this goes for every day of my life <insert prayer>" Job done!

I guess because I feel a sort of comfort saying the prayer out loud when I immediately feel I need it.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +861/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #36 on: Today at 01:08:38 PM »
So to you, prayer is as irrational as an addiction? Its sole purpose is directed to you. You have done it so many times, youare unsure what you would do if you did not do that?

The guy who counts every paving slab on his way to work, or taps each railing as he passes it cannot stop - he feels compelled. If he did not do it, he would feel bad.

And you chant a prayer.

The prayer has no real meaning:"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen."

Surely she only needs to be asked once...

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1777/-9
« Reply #37 on: Today at 02:07:02 PM »
I think I must have prayed to Jehovah about 10,000 times in my life as a JW.[1] Before every meal (and sometimes before a snack), plus before and after bible study, before house to housing, and twice at each Kingdom Hall meeting. That is at least 5x a day, every day for about 15 years. Change the name of the god and we could have passed for Muslims!

Why did we need to constantly remind god that we were still there and still grateful and still needed his help? Is Jehovah really busy or absentminded and would have forgotten about us if we had not been bowing our heads and talking to him all the time? How would our lives have differed if we had not prayed? Would the food have disappeared from our plates? Would the words in the JW books have become suddenly incomprehensible without god's constant attention?

Really strange when you think about it.

Are prayers for god or for humans? :?
 1. So, I am covered, even if I never pray again, right?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +527/-53
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #38 on: Today at 02:16:07 PM »
That is at least 5x a day, every day for about 15 years.

That's about 27 thousand times.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1777/-9
« Reply #39 on: Today at 02:38:25 PM »
That is at least 5x a day, every day for about 15 years.

That's about 27 thousand times.

Then I am definitely covered. I will remember that the next time some religious type gets on my case.  :laugh:

Online CrystalDragon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +67/-2
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #40 on: Today at 03:18:27 PM »
So to you, prayer is as irrational as an addiction? Its sole purpose is directed to you. You have done it so many times, youare unsure what you would do if you did not do that?

The guy who counts every paving slab on his way to work, or taps each railing as he passes it cannot stop - he feels compelled. If he did not do it, he would feel bad.

And you chant a prayer.

The prayer has no real meaning:"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen."

Surely she only needs to be asked once...

I'm not saying prayer is irrational as an addiction, I could have worded it better:

Not only is prayer a way of acknowledging God, but, do you ever have one of those moments where you feel alone, and you wish that you had someone to talk to who patiently listens? I feel like prayer can be like that, giving thanks to God and asking for his help, or sometimes even just an ear to listen.