Author Topic: Question for Skeptic54768  (Read 122 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1086/-6
  • This space for rent
Question for Skeptic54768
« on: Today at 12:00:56 AM »
Skep

If there had been an Internet 200 years ago, and an atheist forum, and you were alive, what would you have believed as you argued with folks like us? I ask because JW's hadn't been invented yet, so you'd have to have another POV. What sort of Christian, if any, do you think god accepted into heaven back then, and are those types of Christians today the sort that you accept might make it into heaven to be with all of you lucky JW's? Or do you think God's standards have changed with the times or something?
Anyone can beat around the bush. But unless you have permission from the bush, you probably shouldn't.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +504/-120
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: Question for Skeptic54768
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:08:08 AM »
Skeppy's a JW? Funny, I thought they only, mainly, quoted the Watchtower like Jst? I've never seen skeppy quote the Watchtower.

-Nam
Quote from: David Garrett Arnold
there are oceans of words aged in prayer,
against geometric lines, and cloudbeaten skies;
credulous allure—slowly captivated in hearts fair—
trees and flowers bloomed in grace upon one's eyes.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +88/-543
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:38:14 AM »
Skep

If there had been an Internet 200 years ago, and an atheist forum, and you were alive, what would you have believed as you argued with folks like us? I ask because JW's hadn't been invented yet, so you'd have to have another POV. What sort of Christian, if any, do you think god accepted into heaven back then, and are those types of Christians today the sort that you accept might make it into heaven to be with all of you lucky JW's? Or do you think God's standards have changed with the times or something?

I am now a JW. What gave you that idea? I never spoke of it, like Nam said.

And I don't think anyone is in Heaven yet so I have no clue what fate awaits the people who lived before me. I would still imagine there were people who believed every letter of the Bible.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +227/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:00:45 AM »
Do you think the JW's are wrong?
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +88/-543
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:03:36 AM »

No. But, I wouldn't say they are right either.

Some are easy to tell. Catholic Church? Definitely wrong. But, it's not so easy with other sects.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +227/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:09:49 AM »
Do you think the Catholics (effectively) got the compilation, editing, and popularization (basically the invention of Christianity) wrong?
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +88/-543
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:11:30 AM »
Do you think the Catholics (effectively) got the compilation, editing, and popularization (basically the invention of Christianity) wrong?

The apostles were the first Christians. They were not Catholic, nor had a Bible.

Your point is moot.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1086/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:13:54 AM »
Skep

And I don't think anyone is in Heaven yet so I have no clue what fate awaits the people who lived before me. I would still imagine there were people who believed every letter of the Bible.

My bad. I get people mixed up. I apologize. Never mind.
Anyone can beat around the bush. But unless you have permission from the bush, you probably shouldn't.

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +227/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:18:47 AM »

The apostles were the first Christians. They were not Catholic, nor had a Bible.

Your point is moot.

Moot, you would be Xian now if there was no catholic church?

How do you propose you would could be a Xian if there was never a catholic church?
some skepisms,

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +249/-8
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:24:08 AM »
And the bible would not exist if not for the Catholic Church...which made it and kept it going without a printing press.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +131/-13
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:40:04 AM »
Skep

so you believe EVERY WORD? Even the stuff that is contradictory ? Does magic explain the stuff that is contradictory in the BIBLE?

BTW do you have a copy of the original unedited version of the Bible ,or have you selected a modern very edited version?
« Last Edit: Today at 09:45:07 AM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +131/-13
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:50:02 AM »

No. But, I wouldn't say they are right either.

Some are easy to tell. Catholic Church? Definitely wrong. But, it's not so easy with other sects.
Care to explain and provide evidence Catholics are wrong? should be simple,but then again every reason you provide could be used against someone(like you)who *thinks*they are an example of a " true Christian".
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +504/-120
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:07:34 AM »
If concerning the OT, if one thinks about it, they are all edited. All the books of the OT and apparently the Torah/Tanakh were originally done orally. It then becomes the phone game.

-Nam

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +207/-1
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:16:48 PM »
And the bible would not exist if not for the Catholic Church...which made it and kept it going without a printing press.

This is a good point, Skep. Although it wasn't the Catholic Church at the time but just the Church, it was responsible for compiling the bible and preserving.So if you are a Christian today, you owe this to the Early Church. So, just what does the Roman Church do that's wrong today? Is it doctrine, hierarchy or what? You earlier answer rather skated over the matter.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +46/-146
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:53:18 PM »
Skep

He presented another illustration to them, saying: “The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25 While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26 When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27 So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’+ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29 He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse.’”+ (Mt 13:24-30)

I believe that when Christ died apostasy began infiltrating the congregation.  The apostles were the last stabalizing factors.  Once they died apostasy fully set in.  Through the years "true Christians" have existed as wheat scattered among the weeds (false Christians).

I believe this condition was to exist until "harvest time".  I believe that harvest time is now and the wheat (true Christians) and the weeds (false Christians) are being seperated.  I believe the true Christians are being gathered into one congregation (the storehouse).

"Then he said to his disciples: “Yes, the harvest is great, but the workers are few.+ 38 Therefore, beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest.” (Mt 9:37,38)
« Last Edit: Today at 03:57:31 PM by Jstwebbrowsing »
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +227/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:57:36 PM »
Always wondered where the saying "separate the wheat & the chaff" came from.
some skepisms,

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +504/-120
« Reply #16 on: Today at 04:07:36 PM »
Always wondered where the saying "separate the wheat & the chaff" came from.

McDonald's.

-Nam

Online eh!

• Fellow
  • Darwins +227/-59
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:53:35 PM »
Speak Australian, its maccas.
some skepisms,