Author Topic: Killing in the name of Charlotte's Web?  (Read 566 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +955/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Killing in the name of Charlotte's Web?
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »
My main point is that you guys should not be using God's behavior as a reason for His non-existence.
I'm not using god's behavior as a reason for his non-existence.  If I were talking about god's behavior, I would already have to assert his existence.  You really still don't get this whole 'not believe that god exists' thing, do you?

What if I described the following entity to you - let's call him Bob Smith for convenience:
a) Bob Smith exists and is a non-corporeal wraith.
b) Bob Smith haunts the west side Cheesecake Factory.
c) Bob Smith likes to eat cheesecake.
d) Bob Smith is a malicious entity and desires to cause frustration and annoyance to people in the Cheesecake Factory.
e) Bob Smith is aware that making cheesecake disappear will annoy people in the Cheesecake Factory.

Wouldn't the observation that cheesecake almost never suspiciously disappears be at least somewhat indicative that maybe - just maybe - the cheesecake-eating wraith that haunts the west side Cheesecake Factory does actually exist?  Maybe Bob Smith is a wraith that doesn't want to annoy people?  Maybe it's a wraith that doesn't eat cheesecake?  Maybe Bob Smith is just a ghost story, and not actually real?

Theist: Give me a reason why God doesn't exist.
Atheist: I don't like what He says or how He acts in the Old Testament.
Theist: That's not a reason God doesn't exist. That's just you saying you don't like Him.
As Add Homonym says, it's not a matter of "liking" or "disliking" how he acts.  It is a matter of determining whether or not our observations of reality coincide with the descriptions you are giving us.

Look - sometimes, absence of evidence is indicative of absence.  The absence of pain in my face isn't completely and utterly conclusive, and the absence of bruising isn't absolute proof, but it is a good indicator that a goat has not kicked me in the face just now.

That god does not appear to behave, at all, in any way that coincides with how you describe him isn't completely and utterly conclusive, nor is it absolute proof, but it is a good indicator that, at the very least, you're not describing an entity you've had any actual experience with.

And you really, really need to get off this mentality of finding the smoking gun bit of evidence that god doesn't exist.  It does not work that way.  It is a rich tapestry of evidence, lack of evidence, observations, and lack of observations that lead many of us to conclude that god does not exist.  You seem to think that an atheist has, like, a singular thingie they can point to and say "god no exist."  That mentality clouds your thinking my dude.  It really does.  This whole "god's character does not match with his actions" is one part of it.  You've got to add things together.  You seem to adamantly refuse to try to do that.  You don't seem to consider your beliefs as a whole.  Personally, I think you are afraid to do that.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1025/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
I think jdawg just sunk skeptic's battleship.  Or at least his destroyer.

People don't assert that heinous villains like Lex Luthor, the Joker, Frieza, the Chess Pieces, Dio, Turbo, or Archimonde don't exist because said villains do evil things (since people in the real world do evil things).  They assert that those villains don't exist because they're from fictional literature.  So if someone asserts that YHWH doesn't exist, it's not because they disapprove of YHWH's behavior in the Old Testament.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:04 PM »
I think jdawg just sunk skeptic's battleship.

Oh god that is an accurate metaphor.

He sunk an old obsolete thing which was proven to not be useful or viable simply as tech advanced.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Eddie Schultz

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2016, 02:10:18 AM »
I think jdawg just sunk skeptic's battleship.  Or at least his destroyer.

People don't assert that heinous villains like Lex Luthor, the Joker, Frieza, the Chess Pieces, Dio, Turbo, or Archimonde don't exist because said villains do evil things (since people in the real world do evil things).  They assert that those villains don't exist because they're from fictional literature.  So if someone asserts that YHWH doesn't exist, it's not because they disapprove of YHWH's behavior in the Old Testament.

You should say "I now know what Eddie was saying".  :)
"I could be wrong, but I don't think so" OCG

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1025/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
You should say "I now know what Eddie was saying".
You clarified what you meant, so further comment by me would have been superfluous.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +271/-107
  • Let's talk about Love
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2016, 06:36:44 AM »
Let's just sum this up.  People don't kill in the name of Charlotte's Web because it is not violent.   

You can however get very inspired to kill somebody by reading the bible and thinking this is what a God wants me to do.  History is my evidence.

Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man...Thomas Paine