Author Topic: Is the claim 'The bible and quaran are barbaric, disgusting texts', true?  (Read 118 times)

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
As the title says.

Reading into it, of course, some parts are not terrible, but equally, there are quite a few...Iffy...Parts.

Stuff like beating slaves, etc.

Are there any logical arguments which render such parts a non-issue?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +319/-9
If you stop and actually read them then yes...they are.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-24
    • Spacebattles Account.
If you stop and actually read them then yes...they are.

Well, that's my thoughts.

Not everyones though...Then again, go figure, those people are either theists, or people who haven't read them.

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +254/-1
I suppose this question is really one that asks how much of the holy books do people read. In many religions, members are discouraged from reading the text any more than that which they hear in religious services - often on the grounds they would not be able to interpret the text correctly. Oddly this applies to Muslims as well as to Christians.

Christians are often sheltered from the bad parts of the bible and only the nice happy parts are read in church and in bible studies. Muslims, whilst often having to memorise the Qur'an, only do so in Arabic and not a language that they understand. They are often told to take any teaching from sermons and, in any event, can't read the Qur'an.

It is quite clear from treading any of the holy books that there are some dreadful passages and some truly bad teachings yet most religious people have either never read these or have 'conveniently' forgotten them. However, the worse thing we see is religious people who deny their religion has either a violent past or a violent present when it is clear that their holy books sanction such violence.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +218/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
I remember when I decided to read the Bible from beginning to end.  I was appalled by so many of the violent stories.  Talk about cognitive dissonance.  They certainly did not fit with nice, peaceful Jesus.  I have seen some of those stories depicted hilariously with legos in The Lego Bible.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +243/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
zeno,  have you had the misfortune of reading the entire bible?

In my experience, believers are amazingly ignorant of their own holy books, and even more ignorant of others.   They haven't a clue what they claim to believe.

Religion is largely based on laziness, ignorance and fear.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +187/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
"That was the Old Testament, we're under a new covenant".....in 3.....2.....

Seriously though, just imagine what a book would look/sound like if it were indeed authored/inspired by the creator of the universe.  It would be page after page of mind-blowing illumination.  Instead we have these ridiculous, impoverished books that look just like what one would expect from the patriarchal tribesmen who wrote them.  They have human finger-prints all over them, and if one were to come up with a book like the Quran in 2016, one would (or should) be locked away for hate crimes or mental illness.  The one thing that is becoming more & more apparent to me, is that both Christians and Muslims are hypnotized by "a book".  That is sad.

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-24
    • Spacebattles Account.
zeno,  have you had the misfortune of reading the entire bible?

Not the whole thing back to front.

But honestly, you don't need to read far before it goes to shit.

I honestly just love using the Skeptics Annotated Bible...

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +408/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
I remember when I decided to read the Bible from beginning to end.  I was appalled by so many of the violent stories.  Talk about cognitive dissonance.  They certainly did not fit with nice, peaceful Jesus.  I have seen some of those stories depicted hilariously with legos in The Lego Bible.

Since LPA mentioned it, I'm going to opportunistically leave this link here, for those who have never had the pleasure:The Bible, in all it's gory glory, illustrated with Legos

Zeno, I have both the OT and the NT version of this in print format. It's my favorite by far. It isn't a complete word for word copy - it skips the begats, and a lot of miscellaneous fluff - but there is more in the print versions than the online one. I've loaned it to a coupe of people (on their request), and it seems to be a pretty effective way to draw attention to some of the more barbaric stories. I know it's helped at least two people I know move a bit further along the path to deconversion.  :angel:
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin