Author Topic: To The Atheists: What Would You Accept As "God's Rules?"  (Read 300 times)

sun_king, skeptic54768, eh!, bgb and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1146/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: To The Atheists: What Would You Accept As "God's Rules?"
« Reply #29 on: Today at 05:47:05 PM »
Any god who started his rule book with the words "Always wash your hands before you eat, and boil water before you drink it" would get my respectful attention. That's a rule I would accept.

If this god added some other clear and concise common sense guidelines for living, that were based on scientific principles anyone could learn, even better. He would not even have to do miracles. With science, we can heal our own damn amputees. 

Add in prohibitions against slavery, child abuse and sexual assault and he would pretty much have me. The god would have to be physically present and apparent to everyone, of course.  I am not that hard a case.

That's the kind of god I could believe in.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +126/-13
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:39:13 PM »
Seeing as long as you have belief in Jesus,you can sin at will,how does a rule apply? Are we talking Bible God here Skeptic or a God with unknown parameters and  rules being laid out from the very start.

If Jesus is still the Lord,then you basically have no rules if you truly repent,do you? Now if a God that is NOT Bible-God appears,will Bible-God battle it out for followers?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +69/-491
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #31 on: Today at 09:08:29 PM »
Any god who started his rule book with the words "Always wash your hands before you eat, and boil water before you drink it" would get my respectful attention. That's a rule I would accept.

I am willing to bet that if that was in the Bible as a commandment, you would ask, "Why doesn't God just get rid of germs and bacteria so we don't have to wash our hands or boil our water?"
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +234/-8
« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:17:26 PM »

I am willing to bet that if that was in the Bible as a commandment, you would ask, "Why doesn't God just get rid of germs and bacteria so we don't have to wash our hands or boil our water?"
See...there may be hope for you yet.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +951/-6
  • I'm very stoic, except when there is an easier way
« Reply #33 on: Today at 10:13:05 PM »

You go ahead and wonder that. We'll wonder why god didn't mention germs and washing hands and boiling water. Dude could have made it a commandment and saved millions of lives.

It isn't true that non-existent gods can't do anything. For instance, they were able to make me into an atheist.

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +69/-491
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #34 on: Today at 10:17:39 PM »

You go ahead and wonder that. We'll wonder why god didn't mention germs and washing hands and boiling water. Dude could have made it a commandment and saved millions of lives.

No matter what God does according to you guys, He's damned if He does, damned if He doesn't.

If He mentions the germs, He's damned for not destroying the germs in the first place.
If He doesn't mention the germs, He's damned for not noticing the germs.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)