Author Topic: Greetings, everyone!  (Read 1449 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +244/-85
    • Christian comics
Re: Greetings, everyone!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »
An acquantance of mine went to Australia to nanny for about 6 months i think, and the spider pictures she would post on her facebook my gawd. I dont think i could go.

Ill take my chances with the Chicago police and gang violence.

I just took a photo of the spider clinging to the ceiling next to my desk. I'd show you the rest, but it might give you nightmares.

It's good to know the door can still be open wide.

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-2
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 01:40:18 AM »
Yup.  Usually I love snow, but at this point I'm thinking, "Enough with the snow already!"

Kind of wish I was a bit closer to California right now.  Because 1. It's warmer, 2. Solvang and LA are awesome and I want to visit San Francisco, and 3. I want to visit the Oregon Vortex to see how Gravity Falls-ish it is. (Yeah, I'm a fan of Gravity Falls too).

If it could be arranged, I'd be happy to exchange the current West Coast weather system for the one you've got back in the NE. We're gasping for rain out here, and snowpack in the Sierra Nevada. I'm not a snow person, but I've noted with dismay the shrinking snow fields in the mountains the last few years. Seriously, it's mostly exposed grey rock and talus fields above the treeline.

Interesting that you would mention Solvang. Have friends / relatives near there, or have you visited on your own? My family owns property farther down the Santa Ynez valley, so I know the area a bit.

Yeah, it's like, "Can we do a weather switch, please?"

We went to Solvang just to visit the area along with LA.  I really love how peaceful Solvang is, and the Dutch culture.  The Hans Christian Andersen museum was cool too.

And as for Austrailia, holy CRAP those spiders and isopoda are terrifying.
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +400/-86
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 02:44:56 AM »
The big spiders are not the ones you should worry about so much.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +148/-2
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »
Which is more disturbing ... the Australian wildlife or the fact that Magicmiles has vaseline on his desk?

Aaaaaanyway, hello and welcome CrystalDragon.

I'm a former catholic, presently Atheist.
I'm also the forum's sole Belgian, which is primarily because there are exactly five Belgians on the entire planet[1]. We do keep up a front of being an entire nation of 11 million people towards the outside world, but trust me, there are only five of us.

Hang on, I'm getting a text message ...

Ooooookay, make that four ... Jan just stepped in front of a bus[2], apparently ... I kept telling him, look both ways, but did he listen?!
 1. the truth of this statement can not be guaranteed by the poster of this message
 2. If the size of Australian spiders have you wigged out, check out the size of Belgian busses!!! And they kill more people too!
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +400/-86
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 03:12:00 AM »
Dude you are the country that produced the greatest known super breed of elite working dog.

I kiss yr Belgian ass for that.

The NVBK is better than the god.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:14:24 AM by eh! »
some skepisms,
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +163/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 03:17:26 AM »
Yeah, it's like, "Can we do a weather switch, please?"

We went to Solvang just to visit the area along with LA.  I really love how peaceful Solvang is, and the Dutch culture.  The Hans Christian Andersen museum was cool too.

And as for Austrailia, holy CRAP those spiders and isopoda are terrifying.

I have a friend in Connecticut I chat with every few days. She says I should stop complaining and enjoy the warm weather. I tell her I would if we weren't also deep in the grip of a one-in-a-century drought out here: at this rate it'll be warm and green for another couple months, then back to hot and toast-brown for another year. And precious little snow left in the mountains to melt and run downhill to us thirsty lowlanders.

Well, what can't be cured must be endured, as they say.

Solvang always seemed rather contrived and touristy to me, but that's through my local-boy filter. If you liked it, more power to ya.

And yeah, it's a meme in the US and a few other places that basically anything that can move in and offshore Australia has made a pact to wage war on the human race. If you believe in the Gaia theory[1], maybe Australia is part of the planet's immune system reaction to the human virus.
 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +163/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »
Which is more disturbing ... the Australian wildlife or the fact that Magicmiles has vaseline on his desk?

Aaaaaanyway, hello and welcome CrystalDragon.

I'm a former catholic, presently Atheist.
I'm also the forum's sole Belgian, which is primarily because there are exactly five Belgians on the entire planet[1]. We do keep up a front of being an entire nation of 11 million people towards the outside world, but trust me, there are only five of us.

Hang on, I'm getting a text message ...

Ooooookay, make that four ... Jan just stepped in front of a bus[2], apparently ... I kept telling him, look both ways, but did he listen?!
 1. the truth of this statement can not be guaranteed by the poster of this message
 2. If the size of Australian spiders have you wigged out, check out the size of Belgian busses!!! And they kill more people too!

Wait... if five (now four) people have been fleshing out Belgium all this time, does this mean Monaco is actually run by some NEET[3] living in their parents' basement in Hamburg??
 3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +400/-86
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 03:30:10 AM »
Intelligent design.

Something this small and this toxic;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

You mightn't die but you will wish you had.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:38:03 AM by eh! »
some skepisms,

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +244/-85
    • Christian comics
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36:14 AM »

Hey, it's just moisturiser.  I don't get mistaken for a 38 year old by accident you know.

It's good to know the door can still be open wide.

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-2
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
Intelligent design.

Something this small and this toxic;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

You mightn't die but you will wish you had.

Oh man, I've heard of the Iruksnji jellyfish!  So small you can barely see them but no amount of morphine will dull the pain... that's why, if I ever DO visit Australia, I am never ever ever going in the water unless it's absolutely safe.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +168/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
Which is more disturbing ... Magicmiles has vaseline on his desk?

And bananas.

I'm not saying anything. Just pointing out desk stuff.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »
Welcome to the forums CrystalDragon.  Hoping you decide to stick around and that you find your visit useful/fun! 8)

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-2
  • Proud Whovian
Leaving for a bit
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
Didn't think it would make sense for me to post a new topic about this, so I'll just say it here:

I won't be around here much this week, if at all—working on a novel. I may pop in to check on things once in a while, but for the most part I'll return to catch up on debate and conversation next week. :)

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +390/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 08:09:10 AM »
^Happy writing, and see you in a week or so
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Online Defiance

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-5
  • Can't be mad at something that doesn't exist.
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »
Don't spill ink on your parchment. ;)
Q: Why are quantum physicists bad lovers? A: Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjokes/schooljokes/physicsjokes.html

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
Good luck with the novel writing. Hoping all goes well, and see you back here soon!  :)

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-2
  • Proud Whovian
Hello, guys! I'm baaaccckk!
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 06:25:57 PM »

Couldn't resist including the Independence Day ref. ;)

Back from my writing conference, so I'll be back here for debates and stuff while still working on my novel. Was told by an agent the premise has promise, so yay. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:07:49 PM by CrystalDragon »

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »
Good for you CD!

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +268/-107
  • Let's talk about Love