Author Topic: Soda Ant - New Member  (Read 71 times)

Offline Soda Ant

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Soda Ant - New Member
« on: Yesterday at 05:52:45 PM »
Hi everyone.

Found this forum while searching for discussion forums related to creationism. I'm an atheist myself (a 6.9 on Dawkins' 1-7 scale), having given up all religious beliefs when I was seven years old. Prior to that I was raised a Catholic by parents who were only casually religious (e.g. attended church only on Christmas and Easter). My mother "got religion" in a big way when she had a heart attack at age 58. She credits God for saving her life and as a result she's now really bought into the whole concept of an afterlife, although I suspect that's primarily due to her increased fear of death as brought on by her heart attack scare. She knows I'm a nonbeliever but generally doesn't give me a hard time about it.

I've always been amused by creationist rantings and have been following the topic since the mid-80s.  I'm very well-read on the subject and have read most of the creationist literature (always good for a laugh!), along with all of Darwin's works, all of Dawkins' books, and everything else I can find in book form or on the Internet.

I have no objections to anyone believing whatever they want to, as long as they don't try to push it on me. I draw the line when they try to influence school boards and state governments to replace the teaching of evolution in the schools with creationism or intelligent design.

I celebrate Christmas in a secular way and don't have a problem with manger scenes on public property (I attribute that to culture, not religion). I like Christmas carols, including the religious ones, and when a theist pointed out that this was hypocritical, I replied that I also like Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer even though I don't believe in Santa Claus or flying reindeer either.

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +971/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Soda Ant - New Member
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:14:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Soda Ant.

A query as a conversation starter:
Quote from: Soda Ant
I have no objections to anyone believing whatever they want to, as long as they don't try to push it on me.

What, to you, is the relationship between 'that which I believe' and 'how I act in the reality that we all share'?

Like, assuming that the statement 'vaccines do not cause autism' constitutes an actual factual statement, would you or would you not object to someone holding the belief 'vaccines do cause autism'?  Why or why not?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Soda Ant

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:47:51 PM »
What, to you, is the relationship between 'that which I believe' and 'how I act in the reality that we all share'?

It really depends on how they act out their belief. If it's something harmless, then I'll let it go--live and let live. If it's something that'll impact everyone, such as trying to get intelligent design taught in science classes either in place of or in addition to evolution or trying to remove the vaccination requirements for public school attendance, then I have a real problem and will do everything in my power to try and stop them.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +252/-33
  • I find your lack of hate disturbing.
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:10:49 PM »
I like your style.
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Offline jdawg70

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +971/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:18:21 AM »

It really depends on how they act out their belief. If it's something harmless, then I'll let it go--live and let live. If it's something that'll impact everyone, such as trying to get intelligent design taught in science classes either in place of or in addition to evolution or trying to remove the vaccination requirements for public school attendance, then I have a real problem and will do everything in my power to try and stop them.
(Red = me)

Imagine for a moment that you genuinely believe that vaccines cause autism.  Would "everything in your power" include trying to remove vaccination requirements for public school attendance?  If you were striving to be a good person, and striving to do good for others, how would you morally evaluate yourself on the following scenarios:
a) With genuine belief that vaccines cause autism, you comply with vaccination requirements for public school attendance.  You do not speak up when others tell you they are going to vaccinate their children, unless and until they ask your opinion on the matter.
b) With genuine belief that vaccines cause autism, you fight against vaccination requirements for public school attendance.  You speak up when others tell you they are going to vaccinate their children, unless and until they ask you not to.

Do you strive to be what you consider to be a morally good person?  Do you recommend others strive to be what they consider to be a morally good person?  Do you recommend others strive to be what you consider to be a morally good person?

Would someone trying to convince you that vaccines do not cause autism constitute someone attempting to change your belief?  Would you say that the person who was trying to convince you that vaccines do not cause autism is fine with you "believing whatever you want"?

Since this is an introduction thread, you can merely consider this food for thought - generally don't want to get into longer discussions in intro threads and we can break this discussion out into a new thread if you're interested.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Soda Ant

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:20:58 PM »
Imagine for a moment that you genuinely believe that vaccines cause autism. 

I can't even imagine that as it's too ludicrous. Might as well ask me to imagine that God exists.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +336/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:37:33 PM »
Welcome,

Your story sounds remarkably similar to mine.