Author Topic: Hello, I'm an agnostic.  (Read 70 times)

Offline DesuMaiden

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Hello, I'm an agnostic.
« on: Yesterday at 02:02:24 PM »
I'm a skeptic and agnostic. I don't believe in God, but I don't deny the possibility that God could exist. Maybe God exists? Maybe he doesn't? Either way, it doesn't matter because I'm an ethical and sane person. I do have some psychological problems (mainly due to stress and depression), but it doesn't matter to much because I try my best in life.

Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is I do believe it is possible that god(s) exist, but I will not believe in them until more evidence is provided. I'm also a doomer.  Read the following article on Wikipedia about doomers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomer

I believe that our civilization may collapse soon. Unless our civilization is somehow saved, I will not believe in God. I will only believe in God if our civilization is somehow saved and does not collapse. That is the proof I require before I start to believe in a God. Otherwise, I will continue being agnostic about god(s)' existence.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +386/-44
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Hello, I'm an agnostic.
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:04:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum. So, what do you believe? Never mind, just re-read your OP and saw you're an atheist.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:10:43 PM by One Above All »
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-22
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:13:39 PM »
Actually, she's an agnostic, as she said.

It's really quite arrogant and rude to ignore what someone says they are and to call them something else, after all.
A guide to the many flaws in BibleStudent's understanding of evolutionary theory - http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,28728.0.html

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +487/-118
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:23:56 PM »
Actually, she's an agnostic, as she said.

It's really quite arrogant and rude to ignore what someone says they are and to call them something else, after all.

I was thinking: based on the comments they've made so far: if s/he is an atheist then i'm the kindest person in the world.

Sounds more like a Wiccan nature lovin' peace corp hippie with the attitude of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" -- such fake people.

I could be wrong, though.

Just my impression.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Online Hamsaka

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +51/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:30:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)  This is a great place to get a handle on one's thinking and reasoning process!  One apparent (and eventually, meaningless) downside to this is people will challenge your thinking and reasoning processes.  As unpleasant as that can be, it is a very important and valuable process.  Having a certain clarity of mind only makes one less easily confused, more confident, and more resilient.  If you know what you are, that's good enough.  That's as good as it gets, in spite of theistic claims that some god must tell you who and what you are (by implication, a god can't be wrong).

I identify myself as a 'nontheist', a transparent attempt to avoid the baggage of being called an 'atheist'.  It doesn't really work, but I know I am just not a theist.  I think it is possible for a god to exist, but that the probability of a Christian Bible god existing is approaching nil.  I don't claim gods can't or don't exist because I don't make claims I can't support (well, knowingly).  I conduct my life as if no Christian Bible god or Jesus exists, and include all other gods from all other traditions.

Atheism can be called 'hard' or 'soft', the former being those making the positive claim that no gods exist, while the latter make no claim either way and live their lives without god bothering.  Most atheists fall into the latter camp, and are often called 'agnostic atheists'.  I think all these special designations and parsings and semantics are a bunch of shit, and more about theists making straw men (a kind of logical fallacy) to knock over.  This can go in both directions, we can make straw man fallacies about Christians, too.  As you can see, being able to NOTICE these logical errors is good for one's critical thinking skills, which is a vital survival skill in the modern world.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +386/-44
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:30:55 PM »
I was thinking: based on the comments they've made so far: if s/he is an atheist then i'm the kindest person in the world.

You're right. He did say he believed in some form of deity, but here he's saying he would believe in god if the world was saved. The conditional clause indicates he doesn't believe in god as of this moment. I'm confused.

-Nam

-One
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +131/-27
  • Call me JAFO
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:13:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. So, what do you believe? Never mind, just re-read your OP and saw you're an atheist.

Odd, I have expressed a very similar point of view and even went so far as to explicitly proclaim that I don't believe that Jesus had any divine or supernatural powers, i.e. rising from the dead, miracle works etc. 

But I have at least three people[1] who are still convinced (or at least trying to convince me) that I am really a Christian who holds dear to my faith in Jesus. I don't consider myself an atheist because I still think it's possible that there may be a god of some sort but since I don't hate religion as a principal I guess that makes me the bad guy to some people.

Welcome to the forums Desu. I may not be the best internet companion but at least know that you are not alone when it comes to your agnosticism.
 1. On another forum
Every night I flirt with death and every morning I wake up disappointed.