Author Topic: Is it possible to study NDEs and remain an atheist ?  (Read 18485 times)

Offline generousgeorge

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Is it possible to study NDEs and remain an atheist ?
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »
Cmon Dominic, your initial premise was interesting, but you lose credibility when you don't reasonably respond to others who are giving you the respect of meaningful and reasonable replies. It would be a major break through for you if you could just once try to see the logic of an answer, before giving a "knee jerk" response which is undefendable.  &)

Read my thread on synergy and the difficulty of discovering what you only suspect might exist. Kind of like you are doing here. They will probably "Eat My Lunch" because I have to respond to their logical answers with respect and I'm really just "fishing around" to understand better what is  a subjective reality that is true for me." You have to be willing to be wrong or at least admit you dont have any objective evidence for what you are positing over.

AND.... :o You have to play by the rules. If God is who you think he is, he should give you some guidance on how to deal with a dificult premise that is subjective, but real for you.

But don't pull stuff out of the dark place and expect not to get called on it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:40:58 PM by generousgeorge »

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2010, 09:36:46 AM »
Is this going to be another dominic caught red handed so he's going to abandon the thread thread?

Just like you did here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=14329.0

Just like you did here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=14225.msg316376#msg316376

Just like you did here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=14248.msg316371#msg316371

I could list these all day long.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:51:11 AM by Omen »
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline generousgeorge

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
You seem to enjoy doing that. Careful you might get caught in a rut.  &)

Offline stephenfox

« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
Yup. Investigating something does not contradict any principles of atheism. :)

Atheism has principles?? Aside from not believing in God is there general consensus about what atheists believe? Perhaps that is your point.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
Principles of atheism: We don't believe in your stupid gods and religions. 

Gosh, I'm running out of principles already.

I uh reckon we could uh find sum yootoob videoz 'bout what aaa-theists buhleevz.  Lemme huff s'more spray paint 'n it'll make senzzz....

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »
Atheism has principles?? Aside from not believing in God is there general consensus about what atheists believe?

No. That's exactly why studying NDEs does not contradict any principles
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Man what's wrong with just dealing with the fact when you die it is the end of your consciousness? :shrug :shrug :shrug It ain't that scary really. What's scary is either an eternity of paradise (so boring) and punishment (which your get use to eventually and is also very boring). Thankfully that's bullshit.  ;D

I disagree, I find the concept of nonexistence frightening. I also find the concept of thermonuclear weapons frightening. My fear has no impact on reality. I will cease to exist, and there are thermonuclear weapons. No wishful thinking on my part will change this. Those that "pray for peace" and "pray for salvation" are expending energy wishing, and giving solace to the concept that some magic will happen, weakening the will of people who might want to do something to improve lifespan or work towards disarmament.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.