Author Topic: from Dark to Light  (Read 882 times)

Offline bruckner

from Dark to Light
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
as a young man up to the age of about 15 or so i tended to 'believe' in virtually anything, from God (basically the Christian model) to God being an ancient astronaut, to Bermuda triangles, Loch ness monsters, UFO'S, JFK conspiracies etc.
In a very simple sense i 'grew up' matured intellectually and started to think for myself and what i would now call deleting my earlier programming. Beliefs such as those i have mentioned were and still are quite colorful and exciting, i mean just imagine an astonishing conspiracy involving governments, thousands of people, shady mysterious events such as covering up that there were no moon landings! To the immature mind, wow! such things are far more 'convincing' that boring old
rational thinking.
Over the years since then reading, self questioning has led me to reject what after a book of the same name calls 'Counterknowledge'

To my thinkiing there is a real war going on, basically mysterious 'magical' thinking that 'knows' for certain (did not a certain Freddie Nietzche say certainties were more dangerous than lies) how everthing works through well, God's will, ley lines, auras, planetary motions, angels, fairies, medical quackary, reincarnated lives, vast conspiracies, i am sure you get the picture. Versus rational thought and all that implies.

What is disturbing is the seeming growth of counterknowledge, mumbo jumbo and the like. The unquestioning servility to various ancient books. Even more disturbing is what the future may hold as the political power and influence that the 'God squad' appears to gain ground all over the world, i would imagine it is virtually impossible for a candidate for a senate seat/governor over there in the Usa to be elected if they say they are atheist. Troubling to, to think that people in the high eschelons of government belive they are in the 'end of days' and would actually like it to happen!!

It is reassuring to know there are like minds as on this forum, one can feel alone in the midst of the vast seas of mumbo jumbo that is promoted as truth, Fight the good fight.

Cheers B

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Re: from Dark to Light
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »
Welcome to the flock! ;)
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Thinking is a bigger threat to dogma than evolution is. Sadly a lot of christian's either don't want to think for themselves, or are told that their thoughts are those of the devil, which I guess leads back to the first reason why they don't escape their religion - they don't think for themselves. It's rather circular.

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
as a young man up to the age of about 15 or so i tended to 'believe' in virtually anything, from God (basically the Christian model) to God being an ancient astronaut, to Bermuda triangles, Loch ness monsters, UFO'S, JFK conspiracies etc.

As a child of the 70's, I grew up watching tv shows such as "In Search Of" and "Project Blue Book"... so I, too, at one time accepted most of the above as truth. After all, Leonard Nimoy wouldn't lie to us, right? :shrug

Oh, and welcome!
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
Welcome ... you need not feel alone any longer :)
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
regardless of who that "certainties" quote is attributed to, I love it.  Food for thought!

Welcome to the forums

EDIT:  "Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
http://quotationsbook.com/quote/5525/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:19:21 AM by Whateverman »
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony