Author Topic: Abdi702/ Skepticofatheism/ Elshamah  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
Abdi702/ Skepticofatheism/ Elshamah
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »
Abdi702,

You’ve been restricted to the ER to sort out a few issues that the staff and members are finding very frustrating.
To summarize, you came onto the forum like a bull in a china shop and have ignored many of the rules, etiquette guides and purpose of this community. That’s causing several problems so we need to address these issues here before allowing you back onto the forum.
Some members/staff will be along shortly to go through the specifics and to try help you understand how to post in line with our rules and etiquettes.

Most people will already be aware of the specifics so rather than create an enormous OP detailing every single problem, we'll take it slowly during the thread as and when the members and mods bring them up.
I recommend taking a few deep breaths and working with us, not against us. If you can show us that you’ll post in line with the purposes of WWGHA, there’s no reason why you won’t be back on the forum fairly soon.

Please read the ER FAQ before posting in this thread as it will help you properly navigate our ER process.
The ER is designed for discussing the posting style of the ER guest only, not specific arguments relating to science/theology etc, or issues with other members or moderators. Please keep your posts on topic and focused on improving your posting style so you can get back to the forum as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Eleven.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:45:50 AM by screwtape »
Former Moderator Account

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
Re: Abdi702
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
Actually, Eleven, mythbusters busted the myth that bulls in a china shop are bad...

But seriously. One problem that I find, Abdi702, is that you do a lot of copy/pasting. Almost all your posts are filled with links to other sites and you aren't discussing anything. We are not having a discussion with you; we are having a discussion with that guy on the other forum. You claim it's you but we have no way of knowing for sure. IDK, I am skeptical about you being elshamah888. I think if you were you'd join this forum with that handle.

If you can use your own words instead of simply posting links elsewhere that would be very helpful.

EDIT: Well it seems that elshamah has similar posting habits as you. He posts links without actually discussing anything. Not a good way to have a discussion. You need to convince us that you understand what those links are talking about. So far you haven't.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:58:37 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Operator_020

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
Abdi702,

Read and respond to this ONLY after you have read the FAQ.

Please respond to each item.  

1. You and I had discussed your use of links.  The problem is not including links.  The problem is only using links as your answers.  I have said before links are okay if they come with an explanation.  Can you do that?

2. If you are having a difficult time keeping up, then there are steps you can take to help with that. First, as has been suggested more than once, you can narrow the scope of the discussion.  Instead of talking about everything from cosmology to biblical archaeology, pick one topic.  Second, you could say you are having a difficult time and ask people to slow down.  They will understand.  Third, you could set up a discussion with a limited number of people in a Debate room. See the rules for that here.  You may pick one or more people for your discussion.

3. I would like to know that you are here for a discussion and not just to preach.  Please give me some kind of assurance that is the case. I went to your private library and found that you claim to have posted in somewhere between 37 and 99 fora.  If that is true, I am curious as to why you are here.

peace
Former Moderator Account

Offline sammylama

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Look at me and my bad self.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
But seriously. One problem that I find, Abdi702, is that you do a lot of copy/pasting. Almost all your posts are filled with links to other sites and you aren't discussing anything. We are not having a discussion with you; we are having a discussion with that guy on the other forum. You claim it's you but we have no way of knowing for sure. IDK, I am skeptical about you being elshamah888. I think if you were you'd join this forum with that handle.

Also:  One issue that is troubling me, regarding pasting copied text, is that the source is noted as going back to Elshamah888: here (regarding the post made in WWGHA: here).  Yet, when I searched the Internet, I found the original source to be this article: Shaken Atheism: A Look at the Fine-Tuned Universe by Holmes Rolston III (Here: http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=66).   

IMO, sources should be cited as close to the original as possible, so as not to give the impression that the material is that of the poster.  This avoids the misconception (mine, I’m sure) that there is plagiarism occurring. 
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
--  Carl Sagan

Offline Abdi702

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
Abdi702,

Read and respond to this ONLY after you have read the FAQ.

Please respond to each item.  

1. You and I had discussed your use of links.  The problem is not including links.  The problem is only using links as your answers.  I have said before links are okay if they come with an explanation.  Can you do that?

2. If you are having a difficult time keeping up, then there are steps you can take to help with that. First, as has been suggested more than once, you can narrow the scope of the discussion.  Instead of talking about everything from cosmology to biblical archaeology, pick one topic.  Second, you could say you are having a difficult time and ask people to slow down.  They will understand.  Third, you could set up a discussion with a limited number of people in a Debate room. See the rules for that here.  You may pick one or more people for your discussion.

3. I would like to know that you are here for a discussion and not just to preach.  Please give me some kind of assurance that is the case. I went to your private library and found that you claim to have posted in somewhere between 37 and 99 fora.  If that is true, I am curious as to why you are here.

peace

my posts are usually a mix of links, and own answers. Of course, if just one issue is raised, and the rythm of answers slows down,  its easier to keep up answering to all posters with more own thoughts, and less links. I think i could handle that.

to the second question. I have answered it already.

I am at this forum to explain, why i believe, Theism is more rational than Atheism. I try to do it based on science, since the bible is not valid for most atheists.

Offline Abdi702

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »

Also:  One issue that is troubling me, regarding pasting copied text, is that the source is noted as going back to Elshamah888: here (regarding the post made in WWGHA: here).  Yet, when I searched the Internet, I found the original source to be this article: Shaken Atheism: A Look at the Fine-Tuned Universe by Holmes Rolston III (Here: http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=66).   

IMO, sources should be cited as close to the original as possible, so as not to give the impression that the material is that of the poster.  This avoids the misconception (mine, I’m sure) that there is plagiarism occurring. 

i have no interest of plagiarize anyone elses work. No problem to cite the original website, where the information comes from

Offline sammylama

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
i have no interest of plagiarize anyone elses work. No problem to cite the original website, where the information comes from

Which is why I noted that the misconception was probably mine.  Probably an honest mixup of sorts.  Thanks for your response to this.
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
--  Carl Sagan

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »

my posts are usually a mix of links, and own answers. Of course, if just one issue is raised, and the rythm of answers slows down,  its easier to keep up answering to all posters with more own thoughts, and less links. I think i could handle that.

This is one problem. Your thread was a mixture of everything. Stick to one topic. Tell the forum members you want to talk about one thing at a time and start a topic about that. Your thread was very vague because it had the potential (as you can tell) of turning into a mixture of topics. Tell the forum that you can't answer all the questions or comments raised to you at once. Just don't be in such a hurry to answer comments. Those comments are not going anywhere. You will get to them eventually.

It's not an interesting discussion if all you do is provide links to other sources. It's really boring, actually.

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
But in the threads you participated in you often did not answer with your own words at all but just linked to threads on some other forum.

It's impossible to have a discussion if you ask a specific question and the other person responds by handing you a book saying "My answer to your specific question is somewhere in there" and that person expects you to read through all of it to figure out if the answer actually is in there.

On a forum that goes against basic etiquette.
It is OK to use links as support for your reply but it's not OK to reply purely with links. (And when used as support it is expected that those links are "on target." Just posting whole threads is a no-no.)

I am at this forum to explain, why i believe, Theism is more rational than Atheism. I try to do it based on science, since the bible is not valid for most atheists.
You can explain your position here but it has to be done in discussions here in this forum.

Just dropping a container full of links to threads of which each goes to a full fledged thread which in turn hosts a mishmash of unsorted bits of information is not going to be received well on this forum.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline strikevipermkII

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
Like I said, don't make moderators angry.

On a more serious note, I suggest you take a little more time, not only to think of your own answers, but to think about what is being said.  Try to act less like a crusader and more like a debater.  (I speak from experience here)

"The most beautiful things we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art and all science.  He to who, this 'emotion' is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder, or stand in rapt awe, is as good as dead.  His eyes are closed."
Albert Einstein

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +106/-17
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »
If you want to debate a single person to cut dowm on the replies, then ask for a moderated debate in a debate room. There, you can take your time and have a single person to debate, and the side comments by everyone else will be in a separate commentary thread.

Think about it.
Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Offline Abdi702

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
unless my access will be normalized until tomorrow morning, i will search another forum. I will be done, here.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:02:49 PM by Abdi702 »

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
unless my account is normalized until tomorrow morning 8am my local time, i will not spend more time at this forum.

Why?

(also, it's not a good idea to make such demands considering the mods that are able to unlock your account might be in different time zones as you are, so their 8am might be your 12 pm.) And well, it's not a good idea to demand anything from the mods anyways.

Offline Abdi702

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
unless my account is normalized until tomorrow morning 8am my local time, i will not spend more time at this forum.

Why?

(also, it's not a good idea to make such demands considering the mods that are able to unlock your account might be in different time zones as you are, so their 8am might be your 12 pm.) And well, it's not a good idea to demand anything from the mods anyways.

yeah right. better : i am gone definitvely. my job is done at this forum. enough light has been given. this is my last post at this forum. anyone wants to debate with me, can do it at my own forum.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
yeah right. better : i am gone definitvely. my job is done at this forum. enough light has been given.

Alright peace. Not like you brought anything that we haven't heard before.

EDIT: (not that he'll read this)
anyone wants to debate with me, can do it at my own forum.

Judging by a lot of the posts/links he has provided to his forum no one wants to debate him. Most are just copy/pasta. From what I've seen few people have commented on what he says.

If he was to get out of the ER I thought he'd go back to his old style of posting. I didn't see this stay as helping him out. On his own forum he copy/pastes as well.

Whatever.

EDIT AGAIN: This guy is a hoot. His forum only has four registered users, and on that forum he has 1020 posts. It's like he's talking to himself or something. Then again I know know the post count of the other three users. A lot of the time he is talking to himself, though. Anything for a gratifying sense of self-worth.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:33:08 PM by Emily »

Offline sammylama

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
yeah right. better : i am gone definitvely. my job is done at this forum. enough light has been given. this is my last post at this forum. anyone wants to debate with me, can do it at my own forum.

Your "job" is done...trying to convert the heathens, eh?  You guys always have an ulterior motive.  Then, when the Mods try to get you to play by the rules, you get all butt-hurt, take your ball and go home.  Shame... 

(PS:  I've been to your "forum"...not a whole lotta' action going on there.  Looks more like a cut-n-paste depository to convince yourself of something:  "there is a god...there is a god...there is a god...")
--  Carl Sagan

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »
I'm sorry that you feel you need to leave, Abdi. Your presence isn't the problem at this forum. The only problem - and a problem that's easily corrected once you're aware of it - is the posting style. If you have something to say, you're perfectly capable of saying it without resorting to links. Obviously you know how to type your own words. You're doing it right here, right now. And that's all any of us here want you to do in the other threads.

As has already been pointed out, if you've felt overwhelmed by everyone responding to you at one time, you're well within your rights to ask everyone to back off for a bit so you can take the appropriate amount of time to answer, and you're also within your rights to say, "There is too much happening; I would like to focus on this one topic at hand."

This isn't unreasonable, is it?

You can leave the forum now if you wish, but you are fooling yourself if you think you've brought "light" here by posting links. If anything, you've discouraged us from reading what you've posted because it's too "all over the place." If you truly felt you had to bring "light" here, you'd have a much better chance by setting out concise posts in your own words so that we can read, engage, and understand. Anything else is just prime for us to skip over because we'd feel there's no need to bother; it's like skipping over spam.

Just something to think about for you. Do what you feel is best.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
... my job is done at this forum ...

What did you learn here?  Or was it just a one-way traffic opportunity for your views?
Git mit uns

Offline spiritualatheist

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »

Why?

Why don't you post your own videos on Youtube? YT definitely needs a few smarter theists!
Religion is to superstition as chocolate is to coco beans.
You can call me an atheist or agnostic with pantheistic beliefs but I ain't believing in your imaginary omnipotent friend bullshit.

Offline MockTurtle

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-1
  • The power of reason compels you!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
Let us all bow down and graciously thank Abdi for sharing with us his manifold wisdom and brilliance.  Or, considering the level of plagiarism, lets thank him for sharing the wisdom of those people that actually wrote what he posted. Or, considering the poor understanding of science and irrational arguments contained in the posts, lets just forget it and move on.
If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality. — Paul Dirac

Offline Operator_011

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-1
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:37 AM »
unless my access will be normalized until tomorrow morning, i will search another forum. I will be done, here.

Specifically how should I follow your ultimatums, King Abdi the Wise?

All you needed to do was say "JUMP", and I promise that -not only would I have said "how high?"- I wouldn't have come back down until you'd given me permission to.
Former Moderator Account

Offline Grogan

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • I Deny God
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 02:24:30 AM »
I can safely say you saved exactly Zero souls, man.  You should stick around and learn and share your opinions and thoughts, though.  However, that's the reason you got into the ER, you weren't really doing that.....
Quote from: kenn
You want to understand God and the world around you through science and logic alone and, because you cannot come up with a "reasonable" explanation for what they ate when leaving the ark, you dismiss it.

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
  • The Forum is made of its members.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 06:00:17 AM »
Just in case you don't come back, I'll PM this to you so you'll see it in your email inbox.

BWaahahahahahaha.  That's a good one mate.  My advice to help you out of the ER is to get a firm grip on reality.

anyone wants to debate with me, can do it at my own forum.
You have your own forum?  Oh goodie.  How would you like it if I joined it later on, broke every rule you have, trolled the crap out of you and then made stupid demands like "restore my account or else I'll leave..."

BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have a nice life in delusion-ville.

:)
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline penkie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let science rule!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »
You have your own forum?  Oh goodie.  How would you like it if I joined it later on, broke every rule you have, trolled the crap out of you and then made stupid demands like "restore my account or else I'll leave..."

If he means this forum, which he kept on quoting, then it is rather lonely there. Two forum members, himself with 1036 posts and an atheist who wrote 22 posts and kicked his butt.  :D
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Offline Operator_020

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 06:56:40 AM »

That's too bad.  We brought you in here to help you, in the hopes that you would adjust your posting style.  That way, everyone would be happy.  I hope you change your mind.

Former Moderator Account

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:23 AM »
If he means this forum, which he kept on quoting, then it is rather lonely there. Two forum members, himself with 1036 posts and an atheist who wrote 22 posts and kicked his butt.  :D

Yeah he does... but look at HIS terms...

Forum Terms of service
The moderators of this forum will try hard to edit or remove reprehensible messages as soon as possible. However, it is impossible for them to review all the messages. You thus admit that all the messages posted on this forum express the sight and opinion of their respective authors and not those of the moderators or the Webmaster (except messages posted by them) and consequently, they cannot be held responsible of the discussions.

This forum uses cookies to store information on your computer. These cookies will not contain any personal information; they are only used to improve comfort while browsing. The address e-mail is only used in order to confirm the details of your registration as your password (and also to send you back your password if you forget it).

- Aggressive or slanderous messages, as well as personal insults and critics, the coarseness and vulgarities, and more generally any message contravening the French laws are prohibited.
- Messages who promote - or evoke - illegal practices are prohibited.
- If you post informations which come from another site
, look first if the site in question doesn't forbid it. Show the address of the site in question in order to respect the work of their administrators!
- Please post your messages only once. The repetitions are unpleasant and useless!
- Please make an effort on grammar and spelling. SMS-style language (ex: r u sk8ing?) is not advised!

Any message contravening the listing above will be edited or removed without additional notice or justification within deadlines which will depend on the availability of the moderators. Any abuse will involve the cancellation of the registration. Internet is neither an anonymous space, nor a space of no-right! We reserve ourselves the possibility of informing your access provider and/or the legal authorities of any malevolent behavior. An IP address of each poster is recorded in order to help us to make you respect these conditions.

So it seems HIS site has rules too, and if you don't follow them HE has penalites too.  So I guess he thinks it's ok to go to another forum, shit all over its rules and get away with it.

I wish I could say what I REALLY think about this muppet, but if I did I'd probably be the next member in the ER.  ;D
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
So it seems HIS site has rules too, and if you don't follow them HE has penalites too.  So I guess he thinks it's ok to go to another forum, s**t all over its rules and get away with it.
It always amuses me when these guys don't even tolerate dissenting voices on their own sites, but somehow if they are out to "spread the light of God" it is somehow OK for them to join other people's forums and (excuse the blunt wording) go on a rampage breaking all the rules there are, piss all over the place and then, when called out on it, they sulk, throw a hissy fit and scream bloody murder that they are being oppressed and their opinion censored.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +106/-17
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 08:08:17 AM »
This is the only section of his forum you can even debate in!

present yourself - section of debate

present yourself, faith and belief, reasons, why you have choosen your religion and faith, or atheism, where you live, what you do, etc.... only this section is for debate. The other sections are intended as resource for information. Just add links, videos, links to interesting books etc.

Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
It always amuses me when these guys don't even tolerate dissenting voices on their own sites, but somehow if they are out to "spread the light of God" it is somehow OK for them to join other people's forums and (excuse the blunt wording) go on a rampage breaking all the rules there are, piss all over the place and then, when called out on it, they sulk, throw a hissy fit and scream bloody murder that they are being oppressed and their opinion censored.
What an accurate description of events.  I agree.  It's actually quite a dishonest tactic to garner the free-reign necessary to spout their crap unchallenged.

It's obviously why he ran off after 2 ER posts.  And for some reason he thinks that the mods are soft touches who'll un ER him merely because he threatens to leave.  I don't really know what else to say to that but laugh at it!  ;D