Author Topic: Just a tad bit dangerous, no?  (Read 731 times)

Offline VacuusMonastica

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
Just a tad bit dangerous, no?
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
Someone I know from Facebook posted this little story. To me, in this day and age, doing something like this you're taking your life into your own hands.

God is so awesome! I was on my way home from church retreat last night when i passed to hitchhikers on the on ramp to the expressway. God told me to pick them up. I passed them by anyway. He told me I should have picked them up, but i argrued it would have been pointless as I was only going a few miles down the road.

So, God told me to turn around at the next exit and to pick them up and take them to Lexington. So, I turned around at the next exit and on my way back I laughed and told God, "Alright, if they say they are going to Lexington, I will take t...hem. Otherwise, I will take them to Ashland." When I pulled over and asked them where they were going, they indeed said "Lexington." So Jeff, Elizabeth, and Virginia (the 7 month old up) went 120 miles down the road to Lexington. When we got there, they told me thank you. I told them to not thank me, because I passed them by. I told them instead to thank Jesus who loved them enough to compel me to turn around my truck and go get them. It was great company, and a great experience. To God, be the glory.

Before you believe anything always look for the beLIEve hidden within - VacuusMonastica

At any given moment, I open my eyes and exist. And before that, during all eternity, what was there? Nothing. - Ugo Betti

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
Re: Just a tad bit dangerous, no?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
If she didn't someone else probably would've picked them up.

To me, in this day and age, doing something like this you're taking your life into your own hands.

You're right. New Years Eve 2007 I went to a store to pick up some things to celebrate and outside the store someone asked me to give them a ride. The ride would only be about a 5 mile detour for me so it wouldn't really be an inconvenience. He offered to pay me 100 dollars if I gave him my address so he could mail me the money. I told him there's an ATM inside the store so he could get the money right away, but he refused for whatever reason. That's when I thought something was up. He got his ride from someone else, and that driver who picked him up was robbed and mugged.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
Pretty damn stupid.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:40:49 AM »
If she didn't someone else probably would've picked them up.

To me, in this day and age, doing something like this you're taking your life into your own hands.

You're right. New Years Eve 2007 I went to a store to pick up some things to celebrate and outside the store someone asked me to give them a ride. The ride would only be about a 5 mile detour for me so it wouldn't really be an inconvenience. He offered to pay me 100 dollars if I gave him my address so he could mail me the money. I told him there's an ATM inside the store so he could get the money right away, but he refused for whatever reason. That's when I thought something was up. He got his ride from someone else, and that driver who picked him up was robbed and mugged.

It is obvious the person had forgotten his ATM card. I thought people had stopped picking up hitchers long ago. I will only pick up young (young) unattached females with skimpy clothing so that they can't have hidden a gun or knife.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 12:55:55 AM »
It is obvious the person had forgotten his ATM card. I thought people had stopped picking up hitchers long ago. I will only pick up young (young) unattached females with skimpy clothing so that they can't have hidden a gun or knife.

You never know where chicks can hid things. FWIW, if he did try to rob me I'd have him in submission crying for his mother.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:59:34 AM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +68/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »

You never know where chicks can hid things. FWIW, if he did try to rob me I'd have him in submission crying for his mother.
Hence why they put the male genitalia on the outside.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »
Yeah, but 'god' told him it would be OK... and if he got carjacked, bum-raped, beaten NEARLY to death and crippled for life, it was because 'god' was 'testing his faith'.

All of that said, the actual incidence of 'hitchhiking gone bad' is probably quite low, but real statistics for/against it are all but impossible to find.  It can certainly be a marvelous way to meet the kinds of people who lost their driver's license due to DUI or other legal proceedings.  Sort of like riding the bus, which I heartily recommend everyone try at least once (assuming they even HAVE bus service) for the pure adventure of it.  It actually can be a convenient way to reach 'events' with square miles of parking, and all of the impenetrable parking traffic that implies, or with historically inadequate parking.

A lot of hysteria stirred up in the popular media gives both sides of hitchhiking a bad rap.  The axe wielding psycho, either on the side of the road, or in the car.  Just like the same hysteria that proclaims your children will be kidnapped and slaughtered if they're outside and out of your sight for more than five minutes.

I have occasionally picked people up, and been picked up.  Hiking down the grapevine to get water for my old car that blew up, and hiking back, someone was nice enough to stop without my solicitation and give me a lift.  (I got it started, but there's nothing like driving a 'big block' on only five working cylinders and calculating the repair bill as you drive.  I got the valves after the tear-down and they were ALL different lengths and shapes.)  I picked up a couple of hikers in Madera and dropped them off at the gates of Yosemite once, though it was well out of my way.  Mostly because they were very cute girls, and I wasn't busy.

Offline Rokusho

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:26 AM »
I personally think it's brilliant, that in the OP story, the driver only turned around and helped when told to by god.  Does this person lack such a moral centre he needs to be ordered to take actions that are perceived as good?

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +887/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
Should the Facebook character be allowed to drive a car? One day God is going to tell him/her to drive through a red light. God has previous convictions for dealing badly with "chariots of iron"

J'g:1:19: And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”