Author Topic: God [#433]  (Read 428 times)

Offline DL

God [#433]
« on: September 19, 2008, 12:53:02 AM »

I have seen God turn around the lives of people who have done more to discredit Him than you have. No matter how hard your heart is or how wronged you feel by God, Christianity or Christians, know always that it is His will you find Him...when you search for Him with all your heart. (Jer. 29:13).

Have you ever searched for God earnestly and honestly, with all your heart?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: God [#433]
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 01:46:59 AM »

I have seen God turn around the lives of people who have done more to discredit Him than you have. No matter how hard your heart is or how wronged you feel by God, Christianity or Christians, know always that it is His will you find Him...when you search for Him with all your heart. (Jer. 29:13).

I think if most Christians actually sat down, opened their mind, listened to the arguments made by atheists, and read the bible entirely, they would see that god is not loving and all knowing.

I think so. I prayed and went to church when I was younger. Whenever I would pray, my answer I got was always....................

La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 03:15:04 AM »

I was a born-again christian for nearly 20 years and I really did look for God "earnestly and honestly" with all my heart.  It led me nowhere.  Which was one of the many reasons that made me conclude he's imaginary.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »

Did you really 'see God' or did you see people, alone or together, turn the lives of people around?  I'm thinking that you saw how amazing people are and instead of praising them you threw off your glasses and praised a shadow instead.  That's an insult to the people who did the work.

I'd be glad to consider your religion.  I ask only the same thing Elijah did of the followers of Baal (1 Kings 18);

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Kings 18;&version=31;

As you can see, faith was not required in many parts of your Bible.  So, I'll settle for 1 Kings 18 ... either that, or if amputees were healed consistently without people lifting any of the fingers they may or may not have.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
I sincerely hope he's not referring to Strobel...
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Freak

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

No, you've seen people's lives get turned around, and then associated it to your god. When you've actually seen a god, let us know. Thanks!
When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

Offline Shakaib

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »
I wonder why the moderators ask us so many questions!! lol. (not)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »

Yes.  Now what is your answer?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
I wonder why the moderators ask us so many questions!! lol. (not)

It's called trust.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer