Author Topic: Please take the time to read this... [#453]  (Read 283 times)

Offline DL

Please take the time to read this... [#453]
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »

..Please read this all the way through, as i know you're likely to blank this message because you dont want to read it.

Im pagan. For one: DO SOME RESEARCH. And please grow a brain... Paganism doesnt believe in the sort of thing you portrayed in question 9, on "10 questions any intelligent christian must answer". Also, i dislike christianity, though i know some christians that devote their entire lives to their faith, without it, theyd be nothing.

Please stop being so shallow minded and care about someone other than yourself for once. There is no reason to rob people of their faith, even if you dont believe in it. Learn some self-control, and realise that other people being christian doesnt affect you. Leave them alone and let them think what they want to think. If they're brainwashed, thats their lookout.

Offline sparhawk

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Please take the time to read this... [#453]
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
..Please read this all the way through, as i know you're likely to blank this message because you dont want to read it.
What, did you think two paragraphs are too much for us?

Im pagan.
Good for you.

For one: DO SOME RESEARCH. And please grow a brain...
I research and learn more every day. Pretty sure I have a brain.

Paganism doesnt believe in the sort of thing you portrayed in question 9, on "10 questions any intelligent christian must answer".
So, ummm... why would you think "10 Questions any Intelligent Christian Must Answer" is directed at pagans? Trouble with reading comprehension?

Please stop being so shallow minded and care about someone other than yourself for once.
What, are you spying on me? I live a life dedicated to the service of others.

There is no reason to rob people of their faith, even if you dont believe in it. Learn some self-control, and realise that other people being christian doesnt affect you. Leave them alone and let them think what they want to think. If they're brainwashed, thats their lookout.
I fully support freedom of religion, all religions, provided they aren't forced on others. The problem (in America, anyway) is that Christians tend to think that freedom of religion means freedom of Christianity, and only Christianity. If they kept it out of politics, schools, and my face, I'd have no real problem with them. They don't, so sites like this exist.

Why don't you join the forum? I'd like to see some more input from pagans. Actually, I'd like to get a clear definition of paganism. It seems that every one that I've talked to has their own interpretation of it.
Why am I atheist?
"Here I stand; I can do no other" Martin Luther
"Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil;" Exodus 23:2

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »

Actually, you are thinking of Christians not atheists.

Your message has been posted to an open forum where anyone on the forum can respond to you, and many other people will read your message fairly yet will not respond.

Im pagan. For one: DO SOME RESEARCH. And please grow a brain... Paganism doesnt believe in the sort of thing you portrayed in question 9, on "10 questions any intelligent christian must answer".

The 10 questions are for the majority religion Christians (33% of people in the world), not the diverse group lumped under the title "pagans".  If any or all questions don't apply to pagans, I'm not at all surprised.

Also, i dislike christianity, though i know some christians that devote their entire lives to their faith, without it, theyd be nothing.

Tell that to Dan Barker.  He has a new book out now;

Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists
http://www.amazon.com/Godless-Evangelical-Preacher-Americas-Atheists/dp/1569756775

"After almost 20 years of evangelical preaching, missionizing, and Christian songwriting, Dan Barker "threw out the bathwater and discovered that there is no baby." In Godless, Barker describes the intellectual and psychological path he followed in moving from fundamentalism to freethought. Godless includes sections on biblical morality, the historicity of Jesus, biblical contradictions, the unbelievable resurrection, and much more. It is an arsenal for skeptics and a direct challenge to believers. Along the way, Barker relates the positive benefit readers will experience from learning to trust in reason and human kindness instead of living in fear of false judgment and moral condemnation."

Please stop being so shallow minded and care about someone other than yourself for once. There is no reason to rob people of their faith, even if you dont believe in it. Learn some self-control, and realise that other people being christian doesnt affect you. Leave them alone and let them think what they want to think. If they're brainwashed, thats their lookout.

The problem is, and I'd be glad to discuss this with you in detail if you wish, is that many Christians are doing bad things in the name of Christianity.  Yet, only a few Christians are standing up and protesting those bad actions.  They are spreading bigotry, hate, persecution, and are promoting physical harm, and even death.  A large percentage of Christians would like to see the end of the world and some of those people send money to people who promote that agenda.

I don't know about you, but I like this world and see it getting better all the time but it could get better faster with people who would act in a positive manner.

If the negative actions of many Christians were not performed, or Christians stood up and protested effectively against other Christians that intend to do harm, I would not be concerned.  It would be "problem solved".  Yet, they are not.  Because of this, it falls to non-Christians including yourself to do something about that harm.  If you won't, that's your decision but you are shirking your responsibility to humanity.  Personally, I am going to do something.

Details provided on request; you can argue me out of this position if you have your facts straight.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Introsis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • It is because it must.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:42 AM »
I apologize for a lack of in depth response to this.

You have completely generalized us, I assume you refer to atheists. I believe you are the one being shallow minded, and need to grow a brain. Get to know us first before jumping to such rash assumptions about us, based on a video. (insert short "we are people too" rant here)
"In the vast, deep forest of Hyrule… long have I served as the gaurdian spirit… I am known as the Deku Tree." ~ Deku Tree, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.