Author Topic: Question:) [#494]  (Read 307 times)

Offline DL

Question:) [#494]
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »

First of all, I'm an atheist, at least a non-believer.

though I've been thinkng, I find it very hard to find reasons for things to happen without some kind of supreme power, but I find it harder to believe in the God christianity puts forth.

Now, just of curiosity, what if we assume that there is some form of supreme power that gives reason to the universe? I find this question extremely hard to answer and I was thinking maybe you could help me:)

However I, like you (probably) find it ridicoulous that "God" whould have created this planet (and the whole universe) just for us, living on a tiny tiny tiny part of existence.

The question of life confuses me
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:27:07 PM by DL »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Question:) [#494]
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:12:56 AM »
Well, if there is a supreme power, it's either natural phenomenon itself and may be found at CERN's LHC, or it's hiding.  If it's hiding, it's irrelevant because nobody can deal with it.  If it's a physical phenomenon, we may discover it and learn more about the universe on every level.  Interesting times.

As for 'life' as a question, I've always liked the phrase that 'we are the method the universe uses to understand itself'.  Meaning; that question has no limits we will ever exhaust.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »

First of all, I'm an atheist, at least a non-believer.

though I've been thinkng, I find it very hard to find reasons for things to happen without some kind of supreme power, but I find it harder to believe in the God christianity puts forth.

Now, just of curiosity, what if we assume that there is some form of supreme power that gives reason to the universe? I find this question extremely hard to answer and I was thinking maybe you could help me:)

However I, like you (probably) find it ridicoulous that "God" whould have created this planet (and the whole universe) just for us, living on a tiny tiny tiny part of existence.

The question of life confuses me

why bother assuming this?  Life is life's purpose.  Sometimes it sucks and sometimes it doesn't. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
Now, just of curiosity, what if we assume that there is some form of supreme power that gives reason to the universe?
So what if there is? If we ever find it, then by all means we should research it as much as possible - but until then, there's not much point discussing the hypothetical existence of an unknown power.
If you're going to ask this question, you might as well think "what if we all exist in a sleeping God's dream?", or "what if the universe is an illusion?", or "what if we all live inside the matrix?" - You can think about those questions as much as you like, but you'll never be able to make any meaningful answer to them.
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.