Author Topic: Where is the glory in winning a fight you can't loose?  (Read 563 times)

Offline ButterFlavoredPam

Where is the glory in winning a fight you can't loose?
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
My grandfather died last week at the ripe old age of 92.  Great guy,  very funny, never went to church.  My grandmother is Southern Baptist and she had the funeral at her church at 1pm.  The family was expected and  required to go to the 10:45am service before a meal at the church and then the funeral.

no problem.

Born and raised SB so I am used to being bored silly.  

This sermon was on being ready for death (of course) and being ready for the second coming of Christ.  Then he read this passage . . .

Luke 21:27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

So, I have a question  . . .

Where is the glory in winning a fight you can't possibly loose?  How is that a glorious victory?  Where is the glory in simply doing what you want to do when no one could possibly stop you?  How is that even noteworthy?  

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:31:32 PM by ButterFlavoredPam »
“In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides.”
 Heinrich Heine

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Re: Where is the glory in winning a fight you can't lose?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
*Cringes*
If your grandfather didn't believe in all that bullshit, it's horrible that his funeral was full of it... I gotta write a will or something in case something happens to me.

But I agree with your point. The idea of God being glorified for defeated the Devil (who he created in the first place  :? ) who is powerless compared to him, shouldn't even matter. I think it's just that religion's way of feeling superior to others. They are "glorified" while the rest of us are casts into the lake of fire (by a loving God  :? ).
FORCING children to fear your imaginary terrors is child abuse.

Offline bigdamhero

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
I for one take pride in beating up handicap people. Give up the glory to the undefeated champ.
Me to my minister father, "If you want to truly understand why I'm an atheist, read the bible again"

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »
I for one take pride in beating up handicap people. Give up the glory to the undefeated champ.

ROTFLMAO   ;D ;D
“In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides.”
 Heinrich Heine

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »
Everything seems to be written in human terms rather than infinitely powerful god terms. "Power and glory" would not be big issues for the omnipotent among us. But they are very desirable human traits if one is a control freak.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »
It's simple cheating, least for god. Let a evil you god prevent fester and then act. Arrive at the last moment and claim to be a hero.

I could go to the bar, spot the creepy guy starring at the drunk chick. Watch her leave, and see him follow her out. I could stop him and let the girl escape and be a good guy. Instead I'm gonna let him grab her and drag her into the bushes. I could intervene and still be decent before they hit the bushes, after all he hadn't done anything till he grabbed her.  But no, I'm such a great guy I'm gonna lesien to the slapping, punching, fighting,sounds of clothing being forcibly removed, the begging not to do this turn to begging to stop, and the screams of pain from the bushes before I head over and stop this. Aren't I a great guy? I mean he kinda rapped her, but I didn't let him finish. Isn't that glory worthy?

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 03:25:49 AM »
What's even more hilarious is that Yahweh apparently got punked.  He made the typical supervillain mistake of bragging about his Big Evil Plan before it was done.  And worse for him, his Big Evil Plan required that Lucifer do certain things, like set up a global theocratic tyranny pretty much like the global theocratic tyranny Jesus is supposed to set up (see the Book of Revelation).

All Lucifer had to do to stop Yahweh in his tracks was nothing.  Nothing at all.  Though he did score some bonus points by preserving the Wailing Wall, thereby busting Jesus' rep as a prophet (Matthew 24:2, Mark 13:2, Luke 19:44, 21:6).  Result: Jesus may have risen on the third day, but he couldn't manage a Second Coming.  :D

So instead of winning "great glory," Yahweh got his ass handed to him in the most humiliating way imaginable.  It's like a Navy SEAL in full battle gear picking a fight with a three year-old, and getting pwned.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:38 AM »
Jesus wasn't too great a prophet anyway. He said the end would come before that generation (somewhere around 30 AD) all died off.

But yeah, that's a funny point. Appearanlty Satan is supposed to have free will, so what if he just chooses not to do anything? Then God has lied. What if Satan actually formed a pacifist group instead of an army? So much for the battle of good and evil at Armageddon.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:54:34 AM »
Exactly.  No Beast-Man 666, no Armageddon, no Return of Christ, and all those New Testament writers who assured their ancient audiences that Jesus was coming back Real Soon Now end up with egg on their faces.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline thatguy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:00:23 AM »
Yeah. And two billion people will still say they were right... I don't get it either.  :shrug

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
In your title (and OP): it's "lose" not "loose".  That's all.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
In your title (and OP): it's "lose" not "loose".  That's all.

-Nam

Corrected - Thanks
 Heinrich Heine

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
Re: Where is the glory in winning a fight you can't loose?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
Where is the glory in winning a fight you can't possibly loose?  

There is none.  That was one of the themes[1] of Milton's Paradise Lost. Christ the Conquoror, the Oppressor was playing a rigged game.

I have also had xians attempt to play the shell game with the defintion of "Glory".  They say it does not mean the same thing glory normally means when you are using it to apply to god.  Funny how words do that. When you use them on god, they suddenly mean something else.  Faith.  Jealous.  Glory.  Slave.  None of them mean what they mean in the presence of yhwh.
 1. possibly unintentionally. I am not sure.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.